1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Making Boy Dolls....Boys! [~Small Edit~]

Jul 10, 2008

1. In all of my boys only Noah (SD13 Heath) was successful on getting himself recognized as a boy...
      But he should thank to the suit he was wearing...With a tie, jacket and kinda muscular looks, it's hard to miss him being a boy. :P
      Heh, pulling down the pants always works too like SDink mentioned. x'D
      (except, some people might start to treat you like a pervert... ^^;; )

2. I have noticed this sort of thing. Even when a male doll looks really feminine, they usually look really bizarre on posing as girls on female bodies...
      Then they really do look a bit transvestite-ey...

3. Most of the time everyone think my Seth is a girl since his face is really girly(but that's why I like him <3) Even my friends who like anime didn't see him as the boy he is... however, my dad surprised me by seeing he was a boy immediately. he was wearing his usual cloths and all so I am still at a lost to know how he knew...

worst part about boys is when people ask me why the heck he have makeup on... to which I reply that it is not makeup but shadow and eyelashes(painted on) like any normal real boy have....

4. I agree with the makeup comment! I've found it really hard to explain the concept of a 'faceup' on a boy doll to my friends... and I can't just say "it's make-up" cos then I get weird looks... *sigh*

5. I found a way to explain it to them by showing to them two thing, one: a picture of a ken(me not owning any ken for a very long time) the BF of barbie, most of them have some kind ofblush on their face and have line around their eyes (they don't have eyelashes but that's not normal, all the boys have them) and I show them a picture of a random guy to show that they aren't all white and that they do have shadow =3

6. My friend has a boy doll with a long purple wig, and she occasionally stuffed him in dresses. She solved the problem by sticking an "I'm a boy!" pin on his clothing. xD

I think manliness is definitely a combination of factors though. A manlier faceup can look like a girl depending on the faceup, but at the same time, I've seen feminine sculpts with the right wig and faceup combo that are easily distinguishable as male.

7. short answer: you can't. My boyfriend (not a doll, ftr) has long red hair and likes 'fancy' shirts....and has grown a beard so he isn't mistaken for 'my ugly girlfriend' by people who pay no attention before speaking. he's 6.4 with an aquiline nose and strong jaw, and that /still/ happens occasionally...so when you've got a pretty doll in pretty clothes, you've not got a prayer ^_^

8. when it comes to explaining to people about why the BOY dolls have faceups, I just say to make them look more realistic. Everyone has color in there lips, and on there cheeks. Why shouldnt boy dolls? and the eyeshadow thing....it's stylish :)

9. When I get my boy, he will indeed LOOK the part. If I wanted a girlie, I'd buy another girlie! My boy will enjoy his harem! :)

10. But judging from what everyone has said, getting your doll to look the part and actually getting people to recognize the part, are two totally different things. ^.~

11. I have no problems with my boy. He has a short fur wig, wears jeans and trainers and has a low-key face up. I think it's only flamboyant boys that have a problem, just like in real life. I have guy friends with long hair and who wear guyliner, and everyone confuses them for girls.

12. Haha, for some reason no one has yet mistaken my boy for a girl, even though I think he looks very girly.

Even my parents' friend was like "I could tell it was a boy right away".

Well... I think he actually has "boyish" features and wider shoulders... Like a gentle-looking boy. So people can tell. Not to mention, his face-up is very low-key and he's got a short fur wig and period boy clothing.

But I was kind of surprised when a random older lady saw me carrying him and was like "What a pretty boy you have there!" :lol:

13. My mom mistook Siegfried for a girl the first time she saw him - even though he was wearing the default Homme Kirill outfit (i.e. pants, sleeveless shirt, etc) and he has a flat chest. She saw his face and called him a very pretty 'girl', to which I rolled my eyes and pulled his pants down to show her he had man bits... or boy bits.

Ever since then, she knows that Sieg is a boy, but she still comments on how girly he looks. It doesn't matter what clothes I put him in - be it casual hoodie, cargo pants and sneakers, or more formal shirt, long pants and boots - my mom will tell me out-right that Sieg still looks like a girl even if he's wearing boy clothing. She did it today while I was trying to shorten the length of Sieg's pants and she even joked that his penis wasn't a penis because of how small it is (damn you Dream of Doll :XD: ).

Of course I know my mom is just joking... I just hope she doesn't harp on and on about Dieter being girly when he arrives. DoIs definitely have manly bodies, but they do still have pretty faces *_*

14. I now have a story to tell! :)

When I first took Rune out of his box (CP Lu-Wen) - my mother and grandmother were there for the box opening. Now, I'd been talking about Rune for a while, so they sort of knew he was a boy... but still. The first thing they both said was "He's so pretty - like a girl!" *sigh* This was before, although he was stark naked, they noticed his... erm, lack of clothing shall we say. So yes - now mum knows Rune is definitely a boy - but she still thinks (and says!) he's pretty like a girl *rolls eyes* He is pretty... but... he's a boy darn it! I'm trying to get her to tell the difference... I am currently failing at it. Every picture of a boy I show her, she says "It's a girl" Will she ever learn? =P

15. That's pretty much the same with my mom... must be a mom-thing, huh? :sweat

Anyway, I doubt your mom will ever learn... I mean, logically my mom knows Sieg is boy but insists he looks like a girl. I just let her be as long as she's not insisting I buy him skirts and dresses to wear *_*

16. Defintiely must be a mum thing =P I hope my mum doesn't start saying that Rune needs dresses and skirts! Though... she HAS mentioned I should get a girl... too bad she doesn't know that Rune is bi :sweat... though, I do have a girl planned. And slightly worried that the rest of the boys I hope to purchase don't get the same treatment as Rune :sweat

17. See, the funny thing with my mom is that she knows I'm a tomboy myself and that I've never been into wearing skirts and stuff. I did have a few barbies when I was very little, but they were soon replaced by Lego and science kits which were later also replaced by models and figurines of Nightmare from Soul Calibur... so I have no idea why she'd even think that I'd buy myself a 'pretty' girl doll :? Given her daughter's taste in dolls, anime and video game characters, you'd think she'd know by now that I like my boys :roll:

Not to say that I won't get a girl doll one day, but it won't be any time soon. However, I'm sure that when I do, my mom will probably either freak out because I actually got a 'girl' doll, or she'll complain that it's anatomically correct (she seems to have a thing against girl dolls with rather prominent boobs). I think I'll stick with my boys for the time being :sweat

18. Yes - we shall stick with our pretty, apparently girly, boys =) At least for a while =P Sorry about going slightly OT ^^;

19. my boy keiran has never ever been confused for a girl,

he has neon blue hair a dz 70cm body. and he's a dz recal. with blue eyebrows, no eyeliner no eyelashes, (he's getting matching blue chops soon) and i've added blue leg hair recently so i doubt he'll ever have that problem now.

he has big man hands and big man feet. no painted nails (not even a french mancure)

he's style is hip hop, he wheres t-shirts, chunnin vest, boxers way baggy pants. one gold chain necklace. and one blue (same as hair color) earring.

my boy is also homophobic so for him to be called a girl would be a very big slap in face so "he" does everything in the world to be manly, and not gender confused

20. Dude, I know, right?

Some people are giving advice like, give him sideburns, facial hair, really short fur wig... But for those people who are frustrated about this, it's not about making the doll more manly in an acceptable Western way, it's about combating really oddly ingrained ideas about the narrow definition of masculine and why everything else automatically makes a doll a "she". Or a person, for that matter; my ex was 6'5, lean and lanky, wore tshirts and slacks, and he still got called ma'am because his hair was shoulder length. *_* (Maybe it is the hair? My sister shaves her head and she gets mistaken for a 14 year old boy fairly often.)

My mother just did not understand why I wanted only boy dolls. Why so many? Why not get a girl doll? And after that came the questions about why they had makeup and long hair (long hair here meaning down to the shoulders, of course...) I don't really mind that she doesn't get it. I don't care if someone calls my dolls girls. I have my own ideas about gender and beauty and if other people don't understand it, whatev. You could change your dolls, but how satisfying would that be? You can't change our gender social conditioning, however, so be happy with you boy the way you made him. Don't bother with everything else. :aheartbea