1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Making Boy Dolls....Boys! [~Small Edit~]

Jul 10, 2008

1. I saw somebody's doll wearing a shirt that said "I'm a boy!" on it. I think that works lol

2. I second the shiwoo comment *nodnod* and ruth is no better ><

But I think it can be sorta blamed on the cheeks...men tend to not have rounded cheeks...but most male bjd's unless theyre differet or were modded, have the rounder cheeks to look 'oh so innocent'

I guess the only way is for someone to just take a good look at the doll, looking at the chest should be pretty obvious...

Buuuuuut I just naturally assume its boys *we can thank jrock bands for that one ^^*

3. I've gotten some comments from people thinking SeNii is a girl...but I've got a surprisingly good number of comments where SeNii's been a BOY! XD It's nice...

Although, I do think that most people associate dolls with girls...and therefore, the dolls tend to be girls to most people. ^^ I think some people just automatically assume that dolls are going to be girls...sure, there are some girly boy dolls...but they're not ALL girly >>;;

4. I'm thinking the next full doll I get will be a boy, I really should prepare ahead and grab the " I :aheartbea my penis" flair button from the shop in town next time I'm there.
      With that in place, the only thing I could think is to thank them for not getting my gender wrong, which I would be very very surprised for.

5. Oh noes, not "boyish boys" again!!! >_<
      These threads are usually started by noobs unfamiliar with the cultural origins of these supposedly "girly" looking boys.
      I'm so glad I don't have to constantly look at the narrow Western definition of maleness. Plus the wigs would be so ugly!!! XD <attempt at humor.

Raven

6. I agree - most people assume that dolls are girls - unless it's ridiculously obvious (soldier dolls or male celebrity dolls). It took my mom two years to notice that my Luke is a boy,

7. Huh, well...as long as someone's telling me what a pretty girl Mystic is, and how cute "her" clothes are, then I don't care :XD: I'd feel bad for making them feel stupid by correcting them, so chances are I'll just go along with it. "Why yes she is, thank you very much! :)"
      As long as my boy isn't being made fun of, I don't care. n___n Telling someone he's a boy won't make the fact that he's pretty any less true.

8. Logan got a new face-up to make him look more masculine..
      And with Riku I tend to put him in tighter shirts or open front shirts.

If I encounter the "What's her name" or "She's cute" I simply say he's not a girl.
      If anyone persists to the point of no return.. I simply say he has NO BOOBS, thus he is not female. :3

9. The first chick that I remember referring to my boys as 'cute girls' was when they were being changed with their parts hanging out.

I do believe my exact choice of words to respond was:

"You should watch how you compliment dolls Sir. A handsome man like yourself might give the wrong impression."

10. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

Yep, and I don't hesitate to demonstrate. The biggest fan I got was an 80-year-old lady at a presentation on anime. I had taken Kenshin with me to illustrate some of the many forms in which this character has appeared (manga, fanfics, pencilboards, figures, plushies, DVDs, production art, yadda yadda...). She was entranced. "My goodness and he IS a real boy, too, isn't he?" :blush -- it's pretty easy demonstrating with a guy in hakama, too :)

11. I saw a lovely doll at the Toronto Fanexpo wearing a pin that said "I'm a boy".

12. If a doll is in jeans (or any pants) and a t-shirt and doesn't have long hair... I just don't understand how people can make mistakes... It's beyond me. Some people just ask for the confusion, (Dollie cross dressing, long hair, girly make up, ect) but some... I just don't get it.

~Chaos :daisy

13. When chosing my boy I made sure no one would every confuse him. Male dolls are so cute they do often get mistaken. I hunted for ages trying to get the 'perfect' mould.

14. My Aquido almost NEVER gets mistaken for a girl. I think it happened ONCE, but not much outside of that. He's a Senior Delf Abadon. Micah rarely gets called a girl either. However, my Shiwoo Vampire, and my Elfdoll red BOTH get called girls. (which is funny, because Angel, my Red, has a full beard and mustache, yet people STILL say "OMG, she's so cute!"

15. Did you just call me a noob?! :o

16. My AoD Gu wears a shirt which shows his biceps, heavy visible tattooing, shredded jeans and has a tatty looking green mohawk. Nobody mistakes him for a girl.

Other than going to that sort of extreme, I can't think of anything sensible. Facial hair?

17. Easy answer: Stop caring what others think. He's YOUR doll. He can look however you want him to look and what others think don't matter.

OK... so the OP now wants a different answer, so, here:
      1. Dress your boy in obviously male clothes. Very neutral colors. Browns and navy. Baggy trousers. T-shirts or polo shirts. Nothing too stylish or costume-like. Make sure shoes are bulky and plain. Or have your doll go with a bare chest (and maybe paint some chest-hair if you've got anything other than a child doll).
      2. Definitely use short wigs. Shorter the better.
      3. Make sure you have a very masculine faceup: Avoid anything that looks soft or cute or happy or has pink or red colors--or anything other than very little natural color. Thinner lips, very pale or no color. Emphasize having a more protruding brow with shading under and lowered, thick eyebrows. Nose should look as strong as possible (large)--but this is hard to do outside of the sculpt. Eyelashes should be minimal. No heavy eye-liner or shading that might look anything like makeup. No blushing that may look like makeup. Emphasize larger jaw. De-emphasize size of eyes. Having facial hair will definitely make your doll look more masculine, no matter what you do with everything else, of course. A beard will definitely make people think twice about calling your doll a girl!

18. I can imagine getting the "She's so cute!" thing going on in the future. But there are dolls that are quite masculine, no? Such as the Senior Delfs or some of the Minimees~

But I think owners that choose the more feminime dolls should expect these things to happen.

19. well, not all SDF look manly *example- bliss*
      And even if You have one of these so called 'manly' dolls there is always a chance that someone will say 'oh, look, what a cute chick!' (that happened with my friend's abadon Xd hahahaha