1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Mass discontinuation - How does it make you feel?

Jan 18, 2019

1. They are a huge bummer, for sure, and honestly I percieve them as a red flag.. (or, should I say white flag?)

Just within my first few years in the hobby, I have stressed over the immediate or extremely short-notice discontinuation of Saintbloom’s entire brand, Illusion Spirit as an entire brand, Oceanmoon’s 50cm line (then entire brand), Sugarble’s Sugarsleek line (then entire brand), Soom’s Rosette line, April Story’s entire library (twice now!:() ... half of these happening without any final orders being offered.

Bluefairy cut a significant number of sculpts recently too, but did give a (short!) forewarning and opportunity to last-order. They’re hinting at releasing these discontinued sculpts as promos in the future. That seems to be a nice way of keeping your customers hopeful and your business on their radar.

But just.. in my mind, it does not bode well, as I have already seen so many businesses go belly-up relatively shortly after executing this kind of system shock / re-branding strategy. I’ve come to halfway anticipate it. If you set your heart on something, get it quickly or prepare for an extended tour of the secondhand market.

I’m not much a fan of DC’s style, strictly on grounds of personal preference, but I’m hoping for you all that they have a solid enough foundation and fan base to survive whatever they’re jumping into with this move. :clover

2. I remember Illusion Spirit's hiatus sale (it started at the end of January or the beginning of feburary ended in march or April of 2015). I got my first doll from that sale with my tax return. I'm a bit sad they've never resurfaced because they're bodies were fantastic and my girl holds poses like a dream.

I'm a bit hopeful with DC coming out of this positively, based on the last few dolls they've released that seem to be a completely different aesthetic (more unusual fantasy and less frightening in appearance).

3. I understand why they are doing it- they have no point of producing sculpts that have been stolen, or sometimes companies feel like they need to update their style and look to keep old collectors interested while adding value to those sculpts that are suddenly no longer mass production (also cashing in on those who want to snag their favourite doll before they have to buy it second hand). When Soul doll discontinued sculpts it was disappointing, I wanted so many of them and didn't have the finances to purchase them, it's sad after you had characters planned for them- sure i could find replacements in other sculpts from other companies but I haven't found any doll similar to Soul Doll's Gana.

4. My best guess is that they're either planning on taking their style in a drastically different direction from their current one, or else have so many new sculpts to release that they know they won't have the resources to continue taking orders for those they're discontinuing as well.

I'm thinking the latter, since, as mentioned before, basically every 1/3 size sculpt they have available right now is going - including the newer ones.

But, in either case or in any other case, this is a huge leap of faith for them to take when there's so much competition out there (even if they are still one of the most popular companies), so I imagine they must be very confident that the outcome/reward will outweigh such a risk.

Their primary objective will be making sure they stay afloat financially, because they have to take care of themselves to keep taking care of their customers...so that may be why they're not giving more notice...but, from a customer's perspective, this looks a lot like a clearance sale without much of a clearance price reduction, and it's important to not let such "panic tactics" convince me to spend more money than I can!

5. I understand the reasons, both financial and creative, why companies decide to discontinue sculpts, but...yeah. It's stressful and it sucks for anyone who has been saving or who just has a long wishlist with that company.

I love Souldoll, and when they went through their big discontinuation, I went into a tizzy of weighing one sculpt against another, juggling numbers, and changing plans. After a lot of reflection, I decided not to buy any sculpts during that discontinuation, but I'm not the kind of collector who spots a sculpt and knows I just have to have it and no other sculpt will do. When you are, and this happens, I feel very sympathetic.

6. I'm kinda bummed Elizabeth is getting discontinued, I've had a concept for years of a spider deity doll, but I can't justify scraping together 500+ for her right now and I have no place to PUT her currently. If it was a rerelease of Xaveria or something, I'd be all over it and trying to find the funds, but I can't justify it unfortunately. Maybe if they bring it back for one offs but right now, I kinda have to sigh and go "whatever... Next one."

Kinda hoping Resinsoul makes a spidertaur now.

7. I think it would be better if they could stagger their discontinuations but if they at least give some notice then that's something. From a personal point of view I don't tend to want to own too many sculpts from any one company because I like seeing variations in their faces. But if my favourite bodies got discontinued that would cause me more stress because I'd feel the need to get them for the heads I might buy in the future.

8. The first doll I ever ordered, an Angel Fantasy Alice, was discounted because the company was closing down. I ended up ordering the doll because of the discounted price, but if Fairyland decided to discontinue a sculpt I liked, I would definitely feel like I need to order the doll now before having to scramble to find the sculpt second-hand (and with higher prices!).

9. It can definitely feel frustrating and sometimes I worry if discontinuations make me want to impulse buy something.... like should I buy this "maybe" doll just in case it becomes hard to find on the aftermarket?

10. That's also true. Especially if it's a sculpt that doesn't have a lot of owner pictures so it might be harder to find.

11. It’s definitely disappointing, but I also get that it’s just how things go sometimes. I still miss the old Delfs and they were discontinued years ago.

12. I lucked out on purchasing a Junior Delf body a couple of years ago -- very interesting in posing, also came with a head from another defunct company.

I wonder if the newer DC bodies are easier to pose now that I think about it. The K-11 body that Isabel has is all long limbs and I don't think she can stand very easily.

13. To me, Doll Chateau is just the right amount of creepy and cute. There's just something so mysterious about them, like they came from another time or place... So this was definitely a wake-up call for me. As much as I love Alberta, Amos, and Landa... I think I'll just put Wanda on layaway

14. I have been full-on panicking since I saw the announcement. I need Sedirila in my life. So now I'm scrambling around working all my side hustles and selling everything in sight haha. It's a big, dramatic move, for sure. I have to admit, as frustrated as I am, I'm also hopeful that this means they have a lot of new sculpts they're making room for. Doll Chateau kinda snuck up on me. At first I thought their dolls were so weird and hideous, but now I find them fascinating and inspiring in a way a lot of traditionally "pretty" dolls aren't. I really hope this is a sign of progress for the company, not trouble.

15. I've had several dolls discontinue while I'm trying to get money for them. It completely stinks, I cry about it to my wonderful sisters who put up with me then I add the dolls to my list of dolls to keep an eye out for on the second hand market.
      Recently my grail doll. Elizabeth from angell-stufios came up but they had her marked at 1200.00. Which is way more than I could afford so she stays on the list.

16. also 2 months isn't long enough for people. I mean my doll money? 2 months is LITERALLY £150. That's it.
      and that's if I buy literally nothing else at all, not even small charity shop things. My budget is VERY tight for dolls. Which means I have to carefully work up priority lists and budgets for the year going forward. Yes, I have a whole year of doll purchases basically planned out with a little wriggle room built in, but it's like £30 wriggle room, not £300.
      Discontinuations throw that WHOLE budget out of whack and mean going back to square 1.

That money sure as heck ain't gonna go very far even if you're only buying a few heads. he 6 month layaway for bigger orders helps but I do wish they'd either extend it to 9 months or reduce the price bracket on being eligable so people with smaller budgets could still put a head or two or three on layaway without putting themselves in debt.

I mean the Soul Doll one? OUCH. I had plans for a vito and a kid, and there was no way I could get that sort of cash together in the 6 months they were offering layaway. I ended up putting the heads only on a long layaway (4 months) so it didn't wipe out ALL my fun money but that i'd have them aside for a point when I could afford the buy them bodies.

I hate having floating heads, and I still live in fear the bodies will be discontinued or something before I can save up but they were a plan I wasn't prioritising before that discontinuation as I was still searching for the right sculpt for the third member of the group (they're ocs I was shelling)

having the heads makes me feel slightly better because at least they're here and safe but being forced into that decision sucked. Joelle didn't surprise me but Lester was such a steady seller, it was bizarre to see such a popular sculpt (arguably the most popular vito sculpt) being discontinued.

I'm relieved there aren't any on the DC list I had planned for my next year or two's purchases, but there's always that threat looming over you and it's really quite stressful. it's difficult to plan or budget when you're always nervous and uncertain the thing you're saving for will be available when you have the money you know?

Which is why I wish they'd give MORE notice. "we're discontinuing, you have 6 months" for example, so people could save up a good deposit to then make a long layaway feasable.

17. This is quite an interesting topic with some insightful reply's.

I remember when souldoll did their first mass discontinuation a few years ago. It was quite sudden and at the time I was with one leg in the hobby and one leg out so did not have a firm dollfunds on the side for any sudden purchases. I also felt quit esalty about it at the time since it felt like they were pressuring to speed buy dolls, like a marketing stunt. Because of this I did not buy any of the heads I wanted, and I deeply regret it (they were quite peculiar and not popular so I see me chances slim that I will ever find those heads on the secondhand market, nor any dollheads that would look like them in the slightest).
      However over time I did come to conclusion they probably did it out of necessity, rather then a marketing stunt. The bjd business is quite a strange business and I think that many company's don't plan ahead very far like company's in other branches. Having to rely on quick tactics to stay afloat. None the less I would hope they will resort to less sudden drastic measures. Like sure do discontinuations, but do it small groups at a time and a sooner notice. Not only giving potential customers a bit more breathing space but also giving the company a bit more structure and planning.

18. A couple of months is still better than a week of two. Though DC did throw a wrench in my plan, I fell in love with RingDoll's Valkyrie - Sigrdrifa. I wanted her badly but I've had my heart set on DC's Isabel a lot longer and she isn't nearly as pricey and not nearly as limited.

It happens but choices are to be made, especially when I buy my dolls through layaway plans.

19. Dolls get pulled from sales for a number of reasons, companies close, artists pursue other opportunities, some dolls aren't popular enough. I can think of only a handful of sculpts from the beginning of the hobby that are still made today, and those dolls are still updated and changed from their originals. This hobby is part formula retailing and part art market, so always hard to predict. I think it is safer to assume that in some ways all dolls are time and quantity limited.

If I recall correctly, Souldoll has done two or three big discontinuations. Each have been related to a sculptor leaving. We do not know exactly what kind of contract companies have with their artists, it could be part of the deal that the sculpts are no longer made once the artist is gone. Maybe the company doesn't want to promote an ex-employee? But I am glad that some artists have been given the opportunity to go do their own thing after finding success at a company.

This hobby is full of discussions about "artist" sculpts vs "company" sculpts, and with some of these discontinuations we have an artist doing "company" work, breaking off and doing their own "artist" work. I think it's a sign of growth and a good thing.

Yes it is disappointing on an individual level for some, but I can't be anything but happy for the artist who breaks off, and I wish them all success!

20. and oh look, now Granado's discontinuing a bunch too.

man... I mean i've only been in the hobby a few years but this is kinda becoming a worrying trend.