1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Meets; The more the merrier?

Jan 27, 2011

1. So I've been wondering to myself lately, if I should become more active in the local bjd community. In my area there are a good number of meets, and apparently doll loving people, I only recently discovered. I'm pretty shy, and anti social, but perhaps it would be worth it to attend some of the meets, and see what I think. And who knows, hopefully I can make some doll loving friends! I think my interest for dolls would grow if I had more people around to talk about dolls with. So this lead me to think of a good topic for discussion.

Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?

The more the merrier? Is it better to have "doll friends" in the hobby?

Does having "doll friends" make things more lively for you, and the hobby?

What is your opinion about attending doll meets ups?

Have you ever converted anyone into a doll loving friend?

2. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?

I think it's nice to have friends who share the hobby. Even if your family, and non-dolly friends understand and tolerate your hobby and don't mind you talking about the dolls, it's just not the same when someone genuinely shares the passion for these dolls. It's quite exciting to discuss dolls with someone who also has dream dolls, and plans and understands what you say. So, yes, I do want to have friends in the hobby ;)

I think I explained it above. It's also a great opportunity to get to see dolls that you admire but do not want to actually own - for example I always get extremely excited when someone decides to get an 'iconic' doll that I have always wanted to see (like a Lishe...or a Supia...I have no urge to get them, but they have so much history, that I always wanted to see them in person). And you can even find out if certain dolls and sizes (and poses, and bodies) are working for you or not.

Yes it does. Of course it's not always just fun. Having friends means commitment and if you don't work on keeping them close, you'll just drift apart despite having the same hobby. I have found that I get the closest to those who I can talk with not only about dolls but other topics as well. I'm quite introverted, so actively working on being part of the community sometimes seems too much of an effort (and a bit of a pain)....but in the end, I'd miss quite some people if I never met with them again^^

Not to mention, that there is just no community where everyone likes everyone. There will be people who don't see eye to eye, and there will be confrontations. Sometimes you even manage to get in an argument with people who you like...the fact that we all love dolls doesn't mean that we'll all like each other. But if you keep that in mind, and don't worry about it too much, you can find great friends ;)

Taking your dolls out might be a hassle, but meeting with your dolly friends can be quite fun! If you're new to a community, be sure to introduce yourself and at least try to be part of the conversation. Sometimes in bigger groups newbies feel like an outsider and get discouraged - they just forget, that not only the older members have to open towards them, but they also have to be open. You already have one common point with the group - you all like dolls. That's a great start^^

No I haven't. My friends like to look at my dolls occasionally, and I have a very understanding family, but none of them felt the need to own a BJD. I have met with several BJD collectors though who I can call friends now^^

3. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not? I do that is one of the reasons I love BJD is the friends I have made and the 2 of the people I love is into hobby because of me, one more then other but love them both. One is my daughter the other is my Daughter-in-law. The later is the one into it more.

The more the merrier? Is it better to have "doll friends" in the hobby? Oh yes I find most doll people are very giving people. Who love the dolls with passion like me and who want to see things happen in hobby. I love how people show the way they are creative. Weather itr's pics they take, clothes, face ups what ever they find their talents in it.

Does having "doll friends" make things more lively for you, and the hobby? Oh yes I love the people part as much as the doll part.

What is your opinion about attending doll meets ups? Best thing ever! I just wish I was able to make more of them, but this past summer and now this summer I will miss out on one of the forum's I belong to major meet ups.

Have you ever converted anyone into a doll loving friend? Other then daughter & daughter-in -law, no. But I live in the boonies and most people around me are into something else like kids, or a job.

4. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?

I think it's fun -- I like the social aspects of the hobby.

For me it is, but it depends on the person. Some people may be less interested in the social part of the hobby.

I think it does. I would enjoy my dolls no matter what, but it's nice getting together with other people.

I love doll meetups and have met some really fun people. I'm lucky to have a couple different meetup groups within driving distance of me.

Yes, I have. My old roommate succumbed to Hikaru's power of cuteness and ended up with dolls of her own.

5. Peetty nice thread. I am very antisocial too, so I'll try to answer your questions as I feel the answers : D

I do want. Though lately some of my doll friends have left or shelved termporaly the hobby, I have met some of my best friends in meet ups. It is quite nice to have people around you wich you can share your opinions, talk about your new dolls, wigs, etc.

I don't think the more the merrier, I just preffer to have few true friends, and not lot of 'friends' that are simply people I know and who like dolls.

Undoubtedly having them makes you able to share common hobbies, opinions, tastes and so on. Even you can share your doll's stories with them, or simply enjoying expaining those stories with your friends and listening theirs.

I am not really a girl of meet ups. I hardly ever attend a few. And I prefer this way actually, because I love this hobby... but I do it my way. I like meeting my doll friends in my home or in a picnic, just not much people at the same time.

Why yes! As I said before, thanks to those dolls I have met some of my very best friends.

6. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?
      I do because its nice to have someone to share your intrest with and also share tips and tricks and other information.

I don't think that its better to have doll friends in the hobby. It's good just to have good friends who accept you and love for bjds.

Slightly, i have friends that i can send links to and go on long rants about doll stuff

I haven't been able to attend a meet but i would love the idea of getting together with other owners and seeing all the different dolls.

Kinda, but not really. Most of friends have an artist background and share a appreciation for the amount of customization that comes with owning bjds.

7. I hope when you say you're "antisocial" you're meaning to say you are painfully shy and generally prefer to be quiet and stay away from noisy types. ;)

I do! It'd let my husband off the hook so to speak. It'd be nice to have a few people that I can gush to and plot with that are as interested as I am.

I think "better" depends on the individual, but for me yes! It is much more fun to have someone to squee with. :)

Not necessarily. The Dallas Ft. Worth doll group is highly active, but it is a long drive for me to visit. I only have one doll friend relatively close by and she's still an hour and change away from me.

I think it's an excellent way to see many types of dolls! However, depending on the type of person you are and the type of group *they* are, things might be awkward. I'm more subdued than the DFW group, but I like the times I get to visit because they have so much fun with eachother. It's nice to listen to everyone talk. [/Hetalia Axis Powers' Russia]

Yes! My best friend converted the moment she played with Josslyn (BBB March). ^__^ My husband and I went to visit them the night before the bjd con in Austin and she and her husband ended up coming with us the next day! It was a LOT more fun just because she was there, and the guys were surprised at how much fun they had too. She found a doll she loved (Dollfie Dream) and the rest of the time we ran around looking for the perfect wig and outfit for Chiyo. Our guys are still on the fence, but they're coming around. ;)

8. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?
      I have a friend in the hobby who lives in the same city as me, and my partner is waiting on his first dolls. I like having someone who I can gush about the wig that I just saw that was perfect etc etc. Someone who won't look at me like my other friends do and go 'You really are strange, okay?' XD
      I think it is always better to have at least one person who enjoys the same thing as you. I don't think they need to be in the same city, or even country as you, but having someone to talk to is always good.

Ashton, my Andi's cousin, and his owner always come visit. It is nice because it gives us a specific reason to meet up when we have hectic scheduals. It is harder to out off for us when we say "Ashton and Andi haven't seen each other in ages", because it means that we aren't thinking about ourselves. I also like it because I have someone to help with box openings, and it makes sitting in a cafe with dolls a lot easier if you have someone else with a doll with you!

There aren't really any meetups in my area (NZ is a rather small place....) But I would love to attend one if there was ever one here!
      I haven't ever converted someone into someone who wanted a doll (except perhaps my partner) but I do now have friends who ask about how Andi and my other girls are, and who keep an eye out on FB for photostories about them and such.

9. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?

Absolutely - Part of the fun of having these dolls is being able to share the experince with others (both online and in person).

I think so. I've made some good friends in this hobby, some of who I share other interests with too.

Yes. In addition to seeing them at meets, we get together for dolly-days and other stuff.

They're great - a group of like-minded people to chat to, other types fo doll to see. I was dubious before my first one (I'd heard, on other forums DoA meets in my area were a bit clique-driven and newbies were outsiders who ended up with nobody to talk to at them - this wasnt the case at all, in my experience).

Yep. I take my dolls places with me and a friend in a Medieval re-enactment group was so taken by my dolls that she joined DoA started shopping for her own BJD.

Teddy

10. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?
      Of course! I find that I enjoy the validation of sharing my doll experiences with people who understand and have interesting stories of their own to share with me.

I am a "more the merrier" person, unless the drama level rises because of the large group. That can happen sometimes. I like having a large group of low-drama fun people to hang around and play dolls with.

What I like best is the collaborative projects we get into together. For someone who has way too many ideas, it means that other people get to participate and help. For people who don't have many ideas of their own, it means that they can play in other people's worlds and have a really great time.

I say, "Do it!" Just keep a weather eye open for obnoxious drama or haters. I don't usually find either one in this hobby but I've heard of it happening. The people at the meet up should be welcoming and friendly, not snarky and exclusive.

Oh, my goodness, yes! Christmas of 2009 my mother and I managed to give about five people new dolls and bring them into the hobby. I've "converted" several of my friends. Heck, I ran into someone who I hadn't seen in years, showed her my doll, got her excited about the hobby, she bought her own doll and started coming to meet-ups! The doll hobby returned an old friend to me! How cool is that?

11. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?
      I'd love to have friends that are into the hobby simply because then I'd have someone to gush to about dolls without worrying about annoying them too much.

Definitely, and not just for fangirling purposes either. Let's be honest here, shipping costs A LOT and having a couple friends into/buying from the same companies as you cuts down costs quite a bit if you order together.

I can imagine it would, unfortunately though, I don't have any doll friends so I can't say.

I would LOVE to attend a meet up, but sadly this hobby isn't very common where I'm from, so I doubt I'd have the chance to attend one unless I'm lucky enough to go oversees and there's a meet up in that area.

Not yet, but I'm sure it'll happen once my boy finally arrives and I can start showing him off, we'll see.

12. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?

I have friends I've converted. One of them is an amazingly talented seamstress, whom is very excited to design clothing for my Valista. As for wanting more-- yes! Not just because they can take the rambling on for hours about sculpts, and customization.. but that I can go to them for help and advice.

Yes. Though, with caution: The larger the group becomes, the more drama will come from it. I'm a very 'NO DRAMA' woman.

Yes. Because I can show them my in-progress shots and costume bits, and they aren't just like: "Oh.. that's nice!"

I've never attended one, but may soon! There's local groups going on!

I've converted two people; one being my girlfriend!

13. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?

None of my friends are in this hobby except for people I met after I started collecting them. I do have a couple of friends who collect antique dolls and other types of dolls.

I like having doll friends, but most of mine are online in forums. I meet up with them occasionally at conventions.

Definitely. I don't mind playing with my dolls alone, but it's more fun to share what I've done with friends and also to see what they're doing with their dolls.

Depends on who will be there. To be perfectly honest, I prefer meetups with people my own age (middle aged, more or less) because I don't have much in common with collectors who are decades younger and I feel out of place with them.

Not really. My friends who collect other types of dolls really like to do their own thing, and my friends who aren't doll collectors do other things.

14. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?
      Yes and no. Let me make this simple and admit that I only want to have a few..being that I have some doll friends that get very competitive about our collections, and needless to say it's annoying and I don't enjoy that sort of petty thing. I like having buddies that I can talk doll things to and they would understand, but on the other hand I don't want there to be this bizarre hostility. It becomes this strange thing where they want to brag about their own dolls and disregard mine. Like my non-doll friends, I require some mutual respect.

I found that if I have too many doll friends, the above issue rears its ugly head. I'd rather have just a few doll pals, and then vaguely know everyone else. I mean, it won't stop me from being friendly. I just don't want to deal with too many doll friends at once.

Yes! Sometimes I just need to rant or rave about something doll-related, and it's great that I can finally talk to someone who understands all the jargon. And my dolls get friends too..it's wonderful!

I like attending meet ups but that hostility problem is present oftentimes. I notice that some of the doll owners segregate themselves based upon who knows each other/who owns dolls from the same company/who dislikes dolls from the same company/etc. I just don't do that. So I usually just wander around and talk to anyone who'll talk back! : )

My sister, a mutual friend of ours, my roommate, and a few classmates. They may not all own dolls but that's better for me, again I don't want to subject myself to weird competition.

15. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?
      One of my best friends interested on the dolls about the same time with me, but for long time neither of us talked about it. When we did, it really made our friendship even stronger.

I like to get known people, in general, and what´s better than have some common interest. Still though, I have lots of other interests than dolls, and as I like to be friendly with all, a certain number of better friends in one area is enough - otherwise there will be problem to share my time between all the friends.

For the hobby, it does. I enjoy this hobby a lot mainly because there´s interaction with other hobbyists. If I´d be a collector alone without internet, there very likely wouldn´t be even single doll as I´d never found out they exist, or I might have only got one and stayed in that.

I was super careful when thought about doll meets first time, and worried about lots of things. I started my meeting "career" by asking local hobbyists to visit my home. :) There´s small group of hobbyists in my area, and they all seem to be very nice people, so we´ve been meeting time by time and have such a nice time. I think there can possibly be difficult people in any hobbyists´ group, but I´ve been lucky only meeting nice people so far. :) I have also become penfriends with some very nice people in the hobby, which is awesome.

No, not even tried to. My little sister has become interested, and I´ve got my family and friends understand that this isn´t just a crazy person´s hobby, and that´s enough.

16. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?
      Yes! It means there is someone else who understand me.

I personally think it's better to have doll friends, even if it's on DoA, because then you have people who actually understand your hobby and aren't as quick to judge you for your choice to buy a doll(or multiple dolls).

Definitly, I always feel down when my dolls get trash talked, so talking to someone who understands makes me fell better.

It's a fun way to meet people who share an interest with you and swap doll tips.

Yes'm, my only IRL doll friend. I don't know what I'd do without her.

17. I too was very reserved about going to my first Doll Meet. Compound all this with the fact I am an older male, and you can imagine my reservations. But, with my daughter practically dragging out the door after daily updates as to the upcoming meet, I attended my first local meet and greet. Everyone was great and I felt really welcome. It was a very pleasant experience and it was really neat putting faces with the local folks on DOA.

Yes, I would like to have a group I can feel comfortable with in the hobby!

But of course!

It does in fact.

While I once was very timid, I must say that I am looking forward to the next one!

That would be a negative.

18. Do you want to have friends in the hobby? Why or why not?

I have a couple, but they're very far away, the closest person is almost an hours drive from here. ;~; I wish I had more that were closer too me. I find myself very disappointed to have no one to physically share stuff with, despite the online community.

I think it would be nice, if you've the temperament for it. Some people like being alone, but I'd like to have more actual people.

Yes, it does, because then I have people to go to for help, or advice, or just to hang out with the dolls with.

I've attended a couple, and I liked them. Though I have Social Anxiety disorder, so it takes a lot of time for me to become comfortable in a group of people I don't really know well. I spent most of the first one sitting by my friend's feet because I didn't know anyone and felt like I might bolt. I got better with the couple of ones I went to later, but I haven't been to any in almost two years now.

Does my mom count? My mother actually wants a couple of dolls, but so far they're too expensive for me to buy for her. Maybe one of these days. ^-^;