1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Minimalism in the BJD Hobby

Oct 24, 2020

1. Questions:
      1. Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      I usually just order directly from the company or through a distributor. I mostly collect mature tinies, and they tend to be limited time order periods. I've managed to get a few that were in stock from a distributor, though.

2. Do you immediately order sleeping faces and extra hands for your doll through the company? If so, do you do this for every doll you purchase?
      I've only ordered a sleeping face once, for a Real Puki, and extra hands once for a Puki Puki.

3. If you have dolls with sleeping faces and extra hands: do you actually use them enough to justify the purchase? If not, do you regret getting them? If you don't have the above, do you regret not getting them?
      I like how the extra plate gives my Kali (an RP Aki) a second expression. I sold the one that came with my other Real Puki when I realized I'd never use it. I don't use the extra hands that much, but they're cute, and didn't cost too much.

4. Have you ever found yourself looking for extra items to throw in your shopping cart just so you could reach the necessary minimum amount to qualify for an event or free shipping? Do you realize this is a merchandising trick? If so, do you mind being seduced by this?
      The only time I've participated in an event like that, just the basic doll I was ordering was enough to qualify for the free calendar and resin hat.

5. Did the cost of a doll ever stop you from actually purchasing it when you had the necessary amount of money? Have you ever thought, "This doll is too expensive, I'll pass".
      I cant justify paying BJD prices for something smaller that a Real Puki. Dream High Studio dolls are not for me, though I do like seeing other's photos of them. I'm not sure if I had the money at the time, but some artist dolls have also just seemed too expensive to be worth it to me.

6. If for some reason you had to sell your whole collection except for one doll, would you be able to do it? Would you know who to pick? Why choose that one?
      No I could not! I could downsize if I had to, but I really love many of my dolls pretty equally.

7. Do you think you could be happy with just one doll? Why?
      No. I like having multiple dolls because they are all different. I sew for my dolls and they have different colors they look good in and different styles that suit their characters.

8. Do you dislike purchasing popular sculpts? Do you prefer limited and rare dolls above others? If so, why? If not, are you bothered by people with this attitude?
      Most of my dolls are limited or discontinued, but that's mostly because they're mature tinies, and less common. I've got a couple of Fairyland Puki Puki, who are popular, so I'm not against owning popular dolls, but the aesthetic that a lot of people seem to like doesn't always appeal to me. I'm not intentionally elitist but what I like seems to often be less popular.

9. If you had unlimited resources which doll would you purchase? How much does he/she/it cost?
      Two of Atelier Momoni's Kitty M dolls in two different colors. Depending on the currency conversion rate, they're each about $400, which is pretty pricey for a tiny doll. And several Dollshe Fashion Mini dolls in Honey resin tones, which would probably come out to nearlypurchaseaaa the same price. And there's a Mewiefish doll I rather like, too.

10. Do you keep track of how much you spent on the hobby so far? Why (not)? Does anyone else ever comment on the financial side of your hobby?
      I have a list of my current dolls and the price of each not counting shipping, eyes, wigs, ect. I avoid talking about it with non-BJD people, since I've gotten a few shocked expressions mentioning how much the less expensive ones cost. :sweat

#21 Leo Pheonix, Oct 25, 2020
      Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    2. 1. Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?

I have only ever bought secondhand (after verifying legitimacy) or in-stock, I suppose because I am impatient and love the idea of giving an existing doll a home.

2. Do you immediately order sleeping faces and extra hands for your doll through the company? If so, do you do this for every doll you purchase?

So far, that hasn't been an option for any of my dolls.

3. If you have dolls with sleeping faces and extra hands: do you actually use them enough to justify the purchase? If not, do you regret getting them? If you don't have the above, do you regret not getting them?

N/A

4. Have you ever found yourself looking for extra items to throw in your shopping cart just so you could reach the necessary minimum amount to qualify for an event or free shipping? Do you realize this is a merchandising trick? If so, do you mind being seduced by this?

I don't really have this experience with dolls and events, but I usually wait until I have enough items that I want to qualify for free shipping if that's an option or add something that I can use as a gift for someone if there's nothing else that I want.

5. Did the cost of a doll ever stop you from actually purchasing it when you had the necessary amount of money? Have you ever thought, "This doll is too expensive, I'll pass".

Yes. When I browse secondhand, more than $200 inspires a pause, and more than $500 is a look but don't fall in love. Conversely, I am highly susceptible to considering dolls I am not really in love with just because they trigger my "what a deal" instinct.

6. If for some reason you had to sell your whole collection except for one doll, would you be able to do it? Would you know who to pick? Why choose that one?

I'd never want to get rid of my first doll Walt (Resinsoul Ming) because he is a physical representation of my favorite tree/childhood friend of sorts, but since he is very closely tied to Baz (Dollzone Yi, another childhood imaginary friend of sorts), keeping him but getting rid of Baz would be extremely difficult. I also love all of my fantasy tinies, but if I could only keep one, I'd have to choose my Cuarto Darkhorn because I find the tactile sensation of handling him extremely pleasing (plus I adore dragons). I'd also have a hard time getting rid of my newest doll and first SD because I am already enamored with him.

I have been able to rehome dolls in the past by gifting them to a friend, but the ones I'm left with now are the ones I'd currently struggle to part with unless circumstances were extreme.

Hmm, perhaps one or two dolls in each size. I like being able to reach for different dolls depending on inspiration, and each size has its own perks and drawbacks.

8. Do you dislike purchasing popular sculpts? Do you prefer limited and rare dolls above others? If so, why? If not, are you bothered by people with this attitude?

I honestly don't know what's popular or not. I guess part of me is drawn to the "unique" factor, but purchasing something that is a unique size does make finding clothing and accessories difficult and limits the joy of connecting with other owners of that same sculpt.

9. If you had unlimited resources which doll would you purchase? How much does he/she/it cost?

I love looking at artist dolls, and if I were in a better place financially (and space-wise), I would love to support them because I love the diversity they bring to the hobby (more skin tones, more body types, more cool fantasy creatures).

10. Do you keep track of how much you spent on the hobby so far? Why (not)? Does anyone else ever comment on the financial side of your hobby?

Nope. I just know the answer is probably "too much but never enough." So far, I haven't had any comments.

3. 1. Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?

I’ll go straight for the company, if the doll is still available there. I’m too paranoid about the possibility of recasts, however… I do sometimes get sentimental and think about giving poor dolls a second chance :c So I do occasionally check the secondhand market.

Sleeping faces not often, but I do order extra parts like hands and especially, high heel feet/legs! I’m always scared of a finger getting broken off, and I don’t know if I could glue it back in a way that wouldn’t be visible, so I like the thought of spare parts. Also, if I want the doll to have different colored nails, I don’t have to send them to repaint, I can just switch their hands. I also like to buy hands in different positions, like for example a hand that points somewhere, or heart shaped hands.

Well, as a person who fell out of the hobby for a while, I definitely didn’t justify the purchase, yet I don’t regret it. Most of my dolls’ extra parts can no longer be ordered, and it’s better to have them now that trying to hunt them down on the secondhand market.

I’m kind of obsessed with shopping so yeah. But at the same time, I live pretty far away from most doll companies, and with pandemic making shipping even slower, I don’t really regret buying most of what I need instead of buying them separately in smaller orders.

I try to stay below 700-800$ for my sanity’s sake. I’m not saying a limited doll with lots of extra wouldn’t possibly broke this imaginary boundary but I’d need a lot of layaway and I’m always worried about layaway (what if I forgot? What if I don’t have the money by then?) so I try to stick to dolls I can immediately pay for. However I’m not here to judge anybody for this, you can spend on dolls as much as you want, as long as you take care of yourself! :D

That is also a tricky question. My grail doll is currently on a body I really dislike (long story) so I might pass her, and keep one of my Peakswoods Yeru dolls (probably Lavender, I can’t resist her pastel goth style), but it would break my heart to sell my SQLab dolls, after all, one of them (Shiori) was my first BJD :(

I don’t think so. I think collecting different dolls is part of the fun! I also like to collect as much sizes and types as possible, because I like the difference! :D

I have to say I don’t really care. If I have sculpt that I immediately see as one of my characters, or who immediately charms me and make me think of a new character, I’ll try to purchase them, if I can afford them. I don’t care how others think about this, as long as they don’t try to force it upon others or shame others who think differently.

Huh… I try not to look at too expensive dolls, as to not to get my hopes up to a doll I cannot afford. However if I had unlimited resources, I’d soon be buried in dolls :sweat

My parents always comment on it, and I don’t plan on telling anyone about the financial side, because I know I’d get negative comments about it. And no I don’t keep track of it it’d just make me feel bad. It’s an expensive, but harmless hobby, let me enjoy my dolls in this dark world in peace :|

#23 MelonTheUnicorn, Oct 25, 2020
      Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    4. 1. Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      I started out looking on the second hand market (generally on ebay which can be so frustrating weeding out the recasts :v) so I generally go secondhand first! Sometimes I just like browsing and seeing dolls I might be into. With limited release dolls I have gone straight to the company because I'm pretty sure there's going to be little to no second hand market TvT (looking at you Dragon Po/Chuan and Ji-Zero mech ver) and generally with second hand I stumble across things I never knew about that I fall in love with!

I don't/haven't yet. I probably will if I find a face sculpt i really like, or i want to have 2 different face ups for a doll. Hands I haven't thought about tbh

N/A

I'm generally pretty good about getting what I want and then jumping away from any more purchases, but I love some event dolls that I have literally considered getting a doll I dont really want to get them >:0

Yes, it's actually what made it so hard for me to get into the hobby in the first place. I found out about it because of a popovy sisters video and nearly cried at the price. Otherwise I'm pretty lucky with family being supportive and helping to finance me (for immediate buys on sh market) but otherwise I'll put stuff on layaway so it's less daunting

That's super hard even though I currently only have 2 dolls physically at home with me. It would probably be my first doll the DZ scorpio event doll (2015 I think?) He's the light of my life and I own my interest to him. I would be super unhappy though because I'm so attached to my DC charon and my layaway dolls :c I dont foresee this needing to become reality though and honestly as long as I have storage room I'll be happy and can rotate out my dolls if I have more than I can display at 1 time (although idk how likely that it to happy :D)

I dont think so. I love seeing all the weird fantasy dolls and just one would be so limiting! I want to explore different avenues and sculpts, look at their differences and just have individual styles that make me happy all around me. Maybe at first when I just started, but definitely not now

Sort of, but only because I'm not interested in them generally. I've seen mostly human sculpts be very popular and I am only focused/interested in nonhumans/human hybrids/anthros. I have no problem being interested in what is popular though, it just generally not where my tastes fall and as long as someone loves that doll I dont see why it matters if it's a popular sculpt

Hhhh I would definitely get a fullset Popovy doll! I would get a Yoland¥ RAT head with a Body II body. They got me into the hobby and I would absolutely only get one in a fullset simply because I want a completed piece of theirs, otherwise it isn't really worth it to me :c Although I would also super consider most of DC and DZs fantasy dolls :lol:

10. Do you keep track of how much you spent on the hobby so far? Why (not)? Does anyone else ever comment on the financial side of your hobby
      I sort of do? I know how much my dolls cost and the average for supplies, but in general I don't think about it unless I'm actively trying to buy a doll. I also know that it makes some people feel really uncomfortable that hobbies like this are so expensive, so I generally try to keep it away from people I don't know very well because they may try to guilt me for what I have. I've had some friends offhandedly comment, but never in a negative way. Generally they are super supportive and interested, plus when I show them the sculpts that I'm talking about and their price they understand why it can get so expensive. I don't talk to family outside of my parents and grandfather about it though, again b/c I'm aware it would make them uncomfy.

5. 1. Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?

I seem to have an unfortunate love for dolls that're long discontinued, lol. For a doll that's currently in production, I'd generally rather go through the company directly. (Unless they have a reputation for unreliable quality or something, then I'd rather buy secondhand so I know exactly what I'm getting.)

Well, because of that whole "long discontinued" problem, I really haven't had a chance to do this...But if I were buying new and could afford it, I probably would spring for extra hands and heel feet, if nothing else. Sleeping faces/alternate expressions would be a very case-by-case basis. But alternate hands? Oh yes. Hands are the second most expressive part of the body (behind faces), and unlike with faceplates, you can't really change their expression with paint and camera angles. Various hand options are an instant buy for me, as long as they're available. (I don't like jointed hands, though. Too fussy and delicate...)

See above.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows that's a marketing trick.

This mostly applies to doll STUFF, since I've never actually bought a doll straight from a company yet. But I'm an obsessive planner and a total miser about shipping costs, so I tend to save up money and hoard orders until I get to a point where ordering everything at once will get me over the free shipping limit, lol.

As for event stuff, it would depend on the item. If it's something I'm not really interested in, then no, I wouldn't bother. But if I DID want it, I'd make sure to get it during the event. Stuff like that is hard to track down after the fact...

More than once, yeah. There comes a point where I feel like I wouldn't be comfortable actually playing with the doll if it cost TOO much...It's not really a specific number, though. More like, if a doll is way out of the "usual" price range for its size, etc, I feel weird about it. There are some gorgeous Volks sculpts that I absolutely love, but I know I'd be scared to touch them if I got them because they're two or three times the $500-$600 price range I expect a 60cm doll to be in.

Oh god, this is a terrible thought. I mean, obviously if I HAD to sell my collection, I'd figure out how to get by.

As for which one I would keep...I'm not sure. I love them all very much. I think I would keep my Rosenlied Holiday's Child Ribbon. She was difficult as hell to find, and she's one of my favorite sculpts of all time. Plus, she's a very good size for me, and I love sewing for her.

I mean...I'd be happier with one doll than no dolls. But I don't think I would ever intentionally downscale my collection to just one. I really like cute little girl sculpts But Also mature adult male sculpts. There really isn't a single doll that would encapsulate all my tastes, lol. So bare minimum, I think I'd have one 70cm boy and then my Rosenlied Ribbon.

If anything, I'm the opposite. I'm a lot more likely to fall for a popular sculpt than a rare one. In large part, it's because I love looking at owner pictures! Seeing what other people do with their dolls and all the myriad ways they style them inspires me way more than just the company photos!

As for people who only collect rare or unusual dolls...I don't really have a feeling about them one way or the other. Of course, there's the occasional elitist jerk, but that's hardly limited to rare sculpts or artist dolls. And the reason I dislike that kind of person is because of their jerk behavior, not because of their dolls. I enjoy seeing unusual and rare sculpts, so overall I'd say I feel positively towards the people who collect them. After all, I wouldn't get to enjoy their beauty otherwise!

Oh lord. It would be a custom sculpt and cast from Grenado, I think. There is a doll I've had in mind since I came into the hobby, but sadly my mind is the only place he exists. I think Grenado would do him justice.

But if "unlimited resources" also includes unlimited luck? I would want the...Hmmm...I've forgotten what it's called. But there is a special version of the Volks FCS that is very, very expensive and only available by rare lottery, wherein you can choose literally ANY sculpt in ANY skintone and with ANY makeup/eyes/wig/body/etc that you want. The ultimate Volks dream, right there. There are a couple of "otherwise unobtainable" dolls I dream about...Picking which one to get would be difficult, and I honestly can't say which one I would choose in the end.

In a very general sense, I know how much I've spent on the hobby, but I don't keep close accounts. Just like I don't keep close accounts on how much money I've spent on video games either. It doesn't really matter in the end, as long as you're staying within your own budget.

As for anyone else commenting on the expense...I keep it to myself. My spouse knows, obviously, but that's the only person. And as far as my spouse is concerned, what I want to spend my "fun money" on is my business.

6. 1. Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      I check the company first to see if it is available and for how much, plus all the details of the doll to make sure it is something that will fit with what I really want. From there I check the secondhand market to see if I can find one that is available now. I like getting new, but I also like secondhand because you know what the doll looks like already (as opposed to a doll who hasn't been made yet and will come with random eyes etc) I like knowing EXACTLY what I am going to get. So basically I don't have a preference per se, I will buy from whichever is available, and most convenient.

No. If they come with them, that is fine, but I have found I won't use the sleeping face. As far as the hands go, it depends if I like the options and what they cost.

I have not regretted not getting them.

I do this all the time, but that is usually because there are many items I want and I figure why not add them in to get the free shipping. The problem is deciding which of the things I want to add in and picking and choosing which I want more. If there wasn't anything I wanted I would be fine paying the shipping, it actually works out cheaper that way. I do realize it is a trick and it does bother me that I give in to it.

Yes. I have realized over the years that I can't depend on stock photos, and even owner pics to really know if I will like a doll or not. I have lost my shirt on several dolls over the years, and I am not really willing to do it again. There are some prices I am not willing to pay even if I have the money sitting there free and clear.

Yes, because I have done it a few times. Right now I only have one doll, and two on preorder so it would be easy for me to choose the one I already have :)

I do, because the times I have had just one my focus was on that one doll and I enjoy them more. Once I start adding more I tend to not bother with any of them as much at all. It is a constant struggle for me because there are so many dolls I want, so having a revolving door so I can enjoy each one at a point in time, them sell to buy another I would like is working ok for right now. I would love to break this and find THE ONE, but I don't know that that will ever happen.

I buy what I like, if it is popular or rare that can make it more difficult, but I don't really follow trends so I probably wouldn't know what is popular or not in any case. People can collect how they want as long as they aren't rude to me about my own collecting habits, everyone can do their own thing.

I would have a LOT of dolls if I have unlimited resources, the price would be endless lol I don't really have one particular doll that I feel I just have to have thankfully.

I have written lists of what things I have collected over the years, as well as how much I spent vs what I made back when I sold things. It is a very ugly ugly number, and makes me kind of ashamed of myself. However, if I had not spent it on things I enjoyed at the time I would have wasted it elsewhere, at least most of what I spent I was able to resell, even at a lower resale value I got SOMETHING back, which can't be said for how some others spend their money that like to judge what my things cost me. Everyone has something they "waste" money on, I choose dolls. I can resell dolls, maybe I lose money when I do, but I know people that spend their money on things that are a one time deal that cost more than my dolls. Most don't like when you point that out though...but if they had their eyes on their own plate instead of making comments about what was on mine it would never be an issue ;)

7. 1. Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      If I could, I'd only buy from the company because I like having a new doll and not worrying about providence or the chance of ending up with a fake. Though I have bought from the secondhand market before when it was a good deal on a doll I wanted.

I like to get the sleeping faces though I haven't gotten any extra hands yet. I don't do this for every doll, just the ones that I know will end up using them.

I somewhat regret one of the sleeping faces I got simply because I did the faceup on the OE head and don't think I can replicate it on the sleeping face. Granted, it was a Resinsoul head so I wasn't out too much and I'll probably give it a shot one of these days.

The only time I looked for extra items was when it was to reach a 6 month layaway limit from DDE. Even then, I only spent an extra $20. Normally, I don't though.

I did once and am so glad I did because I later realized that the size was not something I enjoyed. Even then, my tastes in dolls tend to run on the less expensive side (aside from my three a la carte Fairyland dolls).

I don't think I could sell them all. I have less than 10 dolls already and while I could see myself selling one or two, the rest I couldn't.

I don't think I could be happy with just one doll because I like them to have a companion of sorts and I like have a few different characters. Each doll has their own clothing style that I, personally, would like to explore but don't feel confident enough to try.

Oh stars no, I don't mind popular sculpts. But I will say that I'm bothered by people with that attitude if it's only because they're popular. If they just don't like the way they look etc. then I can understand. But just to dislike something because it's popular seems silly to me.

At the moment, if I had unlimited resources I'd buy five dolls to suit the characters of my Magical Girl OCs. Two of them I've already decided to be Souldoll's Juno and Annamari. Total, the two cost over $650 so it's not astronomical in this hobby but definitely not a price I'd feel comfortable spending right now even with a layaway.

I do not because it would make me annoyed with myself I think. I know the dolls make me happy, but I'd feel guilty every time my parents bring up anything to do with money. My mom comments on the financial side but I try and downplay the cost of things so she doesn't judge me too hard. She's starting to come around to it though, understanding that this is my only hobby and that I really don't do anything else.

8. 1. Do you bother to look for the doll you want on the secondhand market or do you go straight to the company? Why?
      Depends on what doll it is. I tend to look for dolls to fit certain characters, and sometimes I don't know who that will be until I see them up for sale somewhere. Other times I have to go secondhand because they're hard to get or too expensive otherwise. But I try to get from the company if possible (or a dealer so I can get layaway), because then I know I can get the skin color and faceup I want instead of having to hope the perfect combo magically appears somewhere.

I don't think I've ever ordered a doll that even came with those options; the closest I have is my Dollfie Dream/Icon.

I don't have any at the moment; I have been thinking about getting some extra handparts for my Volks dolls, but it's not an urgent issue for me. I'd be more likely to get hands than a sleeping face though.

Depends what the event is, where it would be shipping from, and how much I actually want the stuff. Also the amount - I'm more likely to splurge on $100 in accessories than $700 in dolls.

Bold of you to assume I have money...lol
      Real answer: I try very hard to talk myself out of buying expensive limited dolls, or expensive dolls in a certain size and style I could find at another company I like for cheaper. The only company that can make me break that rule is Volks - I ended up getting a Dollfie Icon over the summer, and there's a very good chance I'll be trying to get Elsa as well.

NOPE. I am that b*tch who gets overly attached to inanimate objects. I have not sold a doll yet, and I would have a very hard time doing so unless I knew the person I was selling it to.

Nope again. I like my dolls to have friends/storymates to interact with.

I am at the age where popular is irrelevant, I buy what I want. And sometimes it's good to be interested in popular sculpts, because there'll be lots of fan pics around to help you decide if you really like them or not.

Both Elsa and Anna, I have no idea because they haven't been properly announced yet...Also a bunch of Dream Choice dolls.

I vaguely try to...my parents comment on it sometime, but right now they're just happy I have a job and can spend my own money on the silly things.