1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Mobile Phone or Digital Camera for BJD Photography?

Mar 12, 2019

1. I also do landscape and floral photography as a hobby, so I have a DSLR. It wasn't purchased specifically for use with the dolls, but it's my usual go-to for taking pictures of the gang.

That said, I've seen some really well done phone-photos. I really do think that photography is one of those areas where how well you know your gear and how skilled you are at using it is as much, or even more-, important than what your equipment happens to be.

2. I take all my pictures with my iPad Pro. They’re not amazing, but they’ll do. However, I would very much like to switch to an actual camera at some point. They’re just so intimidating. :sweat

3. I recently took some pictures of a Nendoroid with my iPhone 6 and they came out cute! I used LINE Camera or SNOW to take pictures of dolls/toys just because of the filters and so on! I do own a Nikon D3100 that still works for me, but I feel like it's been years since I took pictures with it just because it's so clunky! I don't own any BJDs, but I would really love to pick back up my DSLR to take some nice photos!

4. Both! I have a dSLR I use for planned photo shoots, and I use my camera phone for impromptu shots (LG G6.) It's not as good as my Nikon, but it's just as good (or better) than my old point-and-shoot.

5. Right now I use my iPod touch since I don't have a decent camera right now, but I've been thinking about getting a Fuji camera!

6. I use my Galaxy S9 for my photography and honestly, I love it. Just need to get the right lighting. Plus, it's easier for me to upload photos that way.

I wear glasses and looking through the viewfinder to get a clear shot feels impossible. I have a nice DSLR camera but I can't really use it because of that. If I had a tripod that might be different though.

7. I have a "always use the best available camera" mania?fetish?:D, so I use my dslr I bought almost two years earlier :) But for unboxing or selling images, the mobile photos are just as good.

8. I always use my camera,though my pictures are too terrible.

9. Phone or camera each have their own pros and cons, it mostly comes down to 'how much time/money are you willing to put in to make it look good?' Much like the BJD hobby itself haha!
      I did Film Making at University, so I knew my way around my Canon D550, but that was years ago and I've barely touched my camera since, I can just about remember how to white balance and that's it. If I gave it a proper clean and went through the manual again, I'm sure I could get some professional looking shots.
      But professional isn't what I'm aiming for- this hobby is about fun for me! So I like taking photos on my phone, a Galaxy S8, and using the inbuilt filters and tweaks to make the pictures pop. There's even a 'pro' option which lets me mess with F stops and ISO (if only I could remember what those mean...? :lol: ) so even at it's most basic, it's still on a level with my six year old camera!

10. I use my phone. I haven't got a camera, and don't thinking about to buy one. I can borrow my mom's camera, but it did not likes me... I take better shoots with my phone. (Huawei P8)

11. I usually use my phone (Xiaomi Mi A1) and it does often dissapoints me if there is not enough light but sometimes my husband brings home his digital camera (I don't remember the model) and quality difference is huge, but then, even his mobile phone (Galaxy Note 8) has a better camera than mine so...
      Better crappy pictures than no pictures xD

12. I'm limited to my phone. The pictures can't compare to a good camera, but overall I'm content for now. Some day I'll start squirreling money away for a camera, but given the little time I have for the hobby right now there's no rush for me.

13. I really need to start using my DSLR more :evil: As it stands right now, I’m too dumb to know how to use it properly, but if I put some time in to learn all the different settings and practice using it I know my pictures will turn out better....until then it’s unreliable iphone all the way lmao

14. Digital camera, but I'm lazy a lot and just post phone cameras ones a lot.

15. I use my Canon Digital Rebel XT a lot less than I used to now that I have a decent phone. I still think the Canon takes better photos but the phone does an okay enough job. I don't get out the camera unless I'm planning to enter a photo contest.

16. I do like 99% of pictures with my phone, though we have a cheap 3? year old point and shoot around that I've used I think once. Unfortunately my phone is older and the camera isn't really very good... I'll admit I'm looking forward to upgrading for the better camera, as point & shoots seem to be obsolete enough that I can't find a recommendation that's not just 'try a new phone first'. :sweat DSLRs are a little too complicated & expensive for my interest level.

17. I tend to just use my phone,maybe I'm just lazy :whee: I could probably do better with a digital camera, but I like the photos I take so far and don't consider myself to be a 'professional' doll photographer who would need some better quality photos.

18. I have a Huawei, and it takes decent enough photos. It's a bit finicky -- sometimes it takes amazing, clear photos and sometimes it's a garbled mess. I'd really like to get a proper digital camera at some point, but I have a bunch of other doll projects I plan to finish first.

19. I really want to take nice pictures when my doll comes in and I was wondering if anyone here uses some kind of fancy camera or just their phone camera to take those beautiful pictures I keep seeing :)

20. I usually use either my point and shoot camera or a nicer digital camera for my photos, but I've also used my phone from time to time too. With the quality of camera that are in most phones now a days its possible to get good pictures with just a phone.

If your phone has a pretty good camera, a lot will just depend on your skill at photography, like knowing how to use lighting well and get good angles. Along with any editing you do the picture afterwards.