1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Modding: does it decrease or increase the resale price?

Aug 30, 2010

1. This is such a subjective thing. For me, I would rather not buy modded dolls at all, and it does decrease the value. If I want a doll modded, I would rather start with the blank slate and either do it myself or find someone who could...not get one already modded. When I see heads for sale that have had cheeks, nose, mouth, eyes modded I generally won't even consider them. Especially if the price is equal or more than the price of the same doll/head new.

There are always exceptions. I did buy a limited head that had had it's eyes opened a little more than they were originally, but the price was insanely low for this head, and the new eye-shape was cuter than the old one X3
      My Chiwoo head was also modded when I got him, but again it wasn't anything major and he was super-cheap.

Another exception would be an amazing mod that changes the doll completely into a OOAK masterpiece...such as a very well done gore, robot, steam-punk thing...but as amazing as I find a lot of these mods I'm not likely to buy one because they don't really fit with my other dolls. Still, I would have less trouble paying an elevated price for something like that, than I would mods that just change the facial structure some.

Or eye openings...I have a real issue with opened eyes, I've had people try to pass a sleeping head with it's eyes opened as an unmodded doll, and that really bugs the hell out of me.

2. I would say that the quality of the mod definitely affects the price. If they're wanting to sell the doll because it was a botched job, then obviously the price would be lowered. However if it's a beautifully done and finished mod, that essentially makes the doll a unique piece of art, then the price should be higher. Obviously it depends on the buyer though. I doubt someone that purely was interested in the original sculpt would want to pay extra for a modded doll, because it not what they really want. To the right buyer though, an amazingly modded piece could be worth a lot.

3. I love mods, I would think they'd make the doll more valuable--at least, they would to me... as long as they were done right/well. :P So most people probably don't prefer them like I do, but I also know it's something I can't do myself.

4. Unfortunately, not everyone is as reasonable as you.

There is a doll currently for sale in the MP with "female to male" mod - that is, the breasts have been hacked off, and it looks like it was done by scraping the resin on a sidewalk - and the seller seems to feel this justifies asking a higher price than a similar doll with an undamaged body.

I wouldn't want one of these FTM/mastectomy modded dolls even when the mod is complete and well done, why on earth would anyone pay top dollar to buy a butchered one?

Of course, one of the creative, high quality professional-artist-level mods is a unique item and it will command a unique price. Most of the DIY mods are not anywhere near being in this class, yet the perpetrators (I can't call them artists) seem to think their "work" (vandalism) raises the value of the poor doll!

5. I won't buy a doll (any type of doll, not just resin BJDs) that has been repainted, touched up or modified in anyway or if he/she does not come in full set original clothes, box and accessories. I am particularly strict with ABJDs because of their price. If a doll has been repainted, touched up or modified, I would expect the seller to specify the details as to who did the modifications, where or what has been modified and for what reasons. I take it that the art work on a doll's face is like the company's signature on the doll. If it's not well done, the company will have its own reputation to defend and as a doll collector, I will not purchase a doll unless it comes as a complete doll with makeup, clothes and accessories. The only doll I'm trying to sell right now is the one that did not come in original clothes and was not a full set doll. Even if the original make up on a doll's face is damaged, I'd rather the seller keep it damaged and sell the damaged doll without tampering with its original makeup any further. I have see way too many bad modifications on resin AsianBJDs.

6. Does the modding raise or lower the price? Why?
      Dolls with mods will usually take longer to sell since they are modded to one particular person's taste, thus if priced lower, it will sell within a reasonable time. Of course, it all depends, but this has been what I have experienced in general.

Can the same mod by two different people influence the price differently? In which case?
      I'm sure it could. Some people may prefer one person's mods in general, therefore they might sell better. Better quality, more positive feedback on mods, etc, could all influence price.

How does the quality of work done influence the price?
      Well the better the mod, the higher the price I would assume!

Have you ever had to deal with such problem?
      No, and I doubt I would ever buy a modded doll unless the mod was something that enhanced the sculpt, or if it was cheaper than the second-hand prices.

7. It kinda depends on what they did to the doll. They need to ask theirself. "did I improve this doll by modding it?" I've seen people mod their dolls and totally ruin them and I've see. People that mod them and they're absolutely beautiful. It's a matter of opinion. You never know if the buyer is going to like or hate what you did.

8. modding on a standard doll can increase or decrease the resale value of the doll depending on the mod and/or quality of work done to it.
      modding a limited greatly decreased resale value as most people want the limited doll as close to the way it was released as possible

9. well as a Modder..I think some mods could make the doll more expensive due to the work done and price paid, unless it is poorly done. Take the Fantasydoll girl bodies..their breasts look huge and ridiculous..and I've sanded their breasts done to look more normal and natural..but most mods I do especially are of a more personal nature to the owner...so their vision of a dream doll would probably be hard to sell if another person doesn't have that same "vision"

10. This, pretty much.

11. Me myself I think some modds NEED to be done. Yes, if a person does something to make a doll bad looking, or make the doll horrible to work with (IE:Pose) then the value gos down. But some modds need to happen. Like what I did for my YO-SD DollNDoll Heart Zinnia. Her S-hook would not stay in her head for ANYTHING. So I could not move her at all without her head coming off. But making deeper grooves in her head put a stop to that. :)

Not all modds are good. But not all modds are bad.

12. It depends on the modding, but for me most of the time I'd say it decreases the price. I have seen limited Vampire heads where the vampire teeth were removed (also ear piercings which the owner -tried- to fix), and the seller wanted to get the full price, because it was a limited head... oh well...:doh
      Or people who open closed eyes and want to get the full price for the regular open eye head - I'd never buy. Maybe others would, well, everything depends on personal taste.

But as for very professional moddings, like a perfect Volks Genji with half open eyes, regular Dollshe Saint with elf ears, etc., it would increase the price I'd pay for, but just if I'm looking for such mods. If I just look for the special doll I have in mind, and just find modded versions, I'd better wait.

13. I kinda like mods... Mostly a sucker for an amazing face-up. I don't mind buying second hand but perfect condition is prefers so the mod or face up has to be done professionally. I'm not so good at personalizing so I will pay more for a doll that has everything I want and fancy ooak and fantasy bjds.

14. Does the modding raise or lower the price? Why?
      I love modded dolls but modding may increase or decrease the price. You now have a different doll to the original so it has to be priced differently

Can the same mod by two different people influence the price differently? In which case?
      If the mods are done better by one person than the other or suit your taste more then they will command a different price

How does the quality of work done influence the price?
      The better the quality the more the price

Have you ever had to deal with such problem?
      I have never seen it as a problem I actively seek highly modded dolls and buy them at a price I think is fair