1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

More Dolls than I Thought I Had

Aug 25, 2019

1. First, I won a doll in the raffle at Resin Rose a couple of years ago. She's a cute 22cm Beau from Migidoll.

Then I won a second doll in this year's raffle at Resin Rose, Agathe by Linda Macario, 45cm.

And I thought, "Well, well, now I have two dolls. It's starting to become a collection!"

But then I remembered that, no, wait, I do have more dolls.

A while back, I bought a head and body from two different companies online but I messed up and ordered a head for a 1/3 doll and a 1/6 body. So, of course, I had to buy a 1/3 head for that body. And then I bought a good used 1/6 head from a dealer at a con.

I haven't gotten around to doing the face-up for that 1/3 doll. And the body for the 1/6 has been misplaced ever since my last apartment move but she's around here somewhere.

So, technically, I really have about 4 BJDs.

So I started to feel bad about having this many BJDs when my partner has none. I buy her raffle tickets for the con but she hasn't won a doll yet. So I decided I would buy her one for her birthday this year. I let her choose one and she found a doll she fell in love with that was within my budget.

But there was a catch. The doll she chose happened to be part of a special event sale on that website where you get to choose an extra free smaller doll as a bonus. Since my partner isn't interested in child-proportion dolls, she insisted that I choose the bonus doll for myself.

So now I'm going to have five BJDs when I thought I only had two.

How did you discover that you had more dolls than you thought you had?

2. I'm realizing right now how many SD heads I have... Since they are hidden away in the closet and drawers, I tend to forgot I have them lol

3. I rediscover it every time someone asks me how many I have. I'm like "Oh, you know, maybe 5... 7... 13... no, my spreadsheet goes to at least 20... uh, several."

4. It’s funny how it can become a slippery slope like that. I ordered my first doll last year. My original thought was wow buds are expensive so I’ll just stick to one and spoil him.

Then I found a limited doll that I just had to have and I ordered him immediately. Once I got him I joined DoA and did more research. Suddenly I fell in love with a doll and bought him. Now I’m contemplating a 4th even though I told myself no more. Usually I have more self control but I keep finding dolls I’ve fallen in love with so I understand how 1 doll can become a collection.

5. I found that when I got back into the hobby I started accumulating dolls slowly... but what really happened was I preordered from slow companies and now I have way more dolls than I thought. It’s easy to forget about incoming preorders after nearly 8-9 months of waiting.

I haven’t done a count recently. To be honest I’m a little afraid to!

Definitely putting a hold on preorders for the time being.

6. I’m not sure I’ve ever forgotten how many dolls I own. :sweat I’m currently at 15 dolls home and two ordered. The only time I struggle with it is when deciding how to count dolls. Not currently an issue but at times I’ve had multiple heads, bodies and parts that don’t match. So if I have four heads and four bodies that don’t go together, is that four dolls or eight? What if I have a non-resin BJD? Or a resin doll that isn’t a BJD? Do they still count? (I have an elleodoll Russian toy terrier who is 3D printed. I don’t count her, but should I? I DON’T KNOW! *_*)

7. When I first started in the hobby, I wasn't sure which size I would love the most, so my first dolls were an SD and an msd. Then I was intrigued by yosd, and then came tinies...... lol 17 and counting. But in truth, msds and tinies are definitely my loves. I may pare down yosds to one or two in the future, and add a big honking sd anthro boi because reasons...

8. I don't think I've ever forgotten about dolls I own, but I have such a large collection now that tends to fluctuate so often that I have to recount every time someone asks me how many I have! l It tends to hover in the 40 to 45 range, so I usually just tell them "a lot". :sweat

9. It's not that I forget about them, it's just that numbers have a tendency to slip away from me so I usually have to re-count whenever I want to know. And then I'm surprised all over again :lol:

10. Ack this is me. I'm like "why do I only have two dolls?" but really Dollzone/Doll Chateau/Dollshe just take forever.

So there are five dolls and four more heads on the way, they're just easy to forget about.

11. I have lost count of how many dolls I own. Since I started collecting various sizes, including tiny ones, my collection has increased considerably. The last time I checked, the list had gone up to fifty plus the few recent additions I have not included on my list. That does not include the separate heads I've bought. I promised myself no more dollies for a while now. :eusa_naug

12. Yeaa this becomes less of an issue the longer you collect. For the first few years I was at four,.. then my limit was thirteen,... now I'm sneaking towards twenty. I only have eleven actual human msd sized dolls tho. The rest are pets and yosds. >>

I don't really feel bad about the amount of dolls I have as it is a result of very slow collecting over nine years. I have noticed that I tend to get one or two dolls a year however. Which to me feels modest, just not when I see them standing in a huge mosh-pit on my shelf. ^^;;

13. I am kinda new to the hobby and I'm kind of shocked about how many floating heads I have bought. I actually got one of my grails yesterday and I am really hoping he will not end up as just another floating head in my collection. What I am trying to do is prioritize the dolls I want to complete. I think you always end up with floating heads sometimes I bought stuff on a whim and then didn't really have any plans for it.

14. Strangely, I tend to count floating heads as dolls and forgetting the headless bodies. I also bought from well knowen slow working company, so there is one doll on the way I keep on forgetting because I don't actually have him at home.

15. I have all my 1/4 and 1/3 scale dolls on display, but only 2 of my 1/6 scale dolls even though I have 7 in total :sweat I always forget I have 5 more dolls in storage...

16. I went on hiatus for three years annd kind of forgot how many I had. At the end of my first stent in the hobby I had stopped updating my profile, so when I got back into it in the begining of the year I had to keep updating my profile because I kept finding more dolls in storage!! Now I know I have three floating heads, two bodies, and four complete dolls with one doll on the way. I didn't realize I had so many :lol:

17. HAHA I still forget I have over 20 dolls, it seriously doesn’t feel like it. My dolls are in 3 different storylines, so I think of them as their storyline groups instead of my entire collection. If you were to ask me right before I counted I would have sworn I had like 12-14.

#17 ame_hime, Dec 15, 2019
      Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    18. Lol, yeah... my brain was thinking high teens, maybe low twenties.... then I counted then and realized the most recent one was number 30. :o

19. I never feel like I own as many as I do, so it's when I actually stop to count (or, these days, look at the count I keep on my profile, because I'm very good at leaving dolls out of my counts subconsciously).

20. I don't know how many dolls I have. I determine their number by listing names and counting those.