1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

More $$ Than You Expected?

Nov 15, 2007

1. Yes, after buying my first doll, I felt more than a little guilty for spending so much when I was initially aiming for "cheap." ahah. But my doll is worth it.

2. Just to let you know, I think this post is going to be a bit long... ;)

A year ago, I started saving for my first BJD. I was totally devoted - I didn't spend any of my left over gas money on books (as I love reading), or on anything else. I kept my money hidden because if I saw it, I'd remember how much I had and start to think of what that amount would buy me. Hiding it kept my thoughts at bay. This doll was nowhere near as expensive, either, and the price was reasonable for me to save up for. Well, I learned that finding clothes for this brand of doll would be difficult being that they're thinner than most dolls of the same height. And as much as I wanted it, I decided this doll would be too much trouble overall after the fact.

Now, I'm saving up again, and I've heard good things about the company, how good their dolls are while being less expensive...I feel I'm pretty set, and nothing is going to keep me from eventually reaching my goal to get it. However, that being said, I tried to do that thing lots of doll owners do, where they practice putting everything in the cart, and I realized there was going to be a shipping charge (or what I think is a shipping charge?) of $50 added after the fact. I was shocked, but it's probably nothing to be shocked about for a seasoned owner. So, as I thought I'd reached my goal, I was *sorely* mistaken. And, I'd realized I hadn't included a simple outfit for her either. And adding that, I needed around $40-50 more than I had.

Then there were the little costs, like a face protector (which, as of now, I hope will come with the doll). Then the eye putty, which I'm hoping to find an alternative in a craft store later on, since I don't plan to really do anything with the eyes and won't order others. And finally, there's the MSC, which I have to order. Luckily, I won't need any pastels or stuff like that, since I'm getting her with a face-up.

3. I haven't even ordered my doll yet and I feel like it's adding up! Wigs, clothes, and I want a trunk to store it in... Well, it does add up fast! Makes me second guess myself, but in the end I know I want it and I think the doll will be worth it. :)

4. wystearya: I understand what you're talking about.
      When I ordered my first doll, I told myself that I would get her some clothes, 2 wigs, a ring and a necklace. The next thing I knew, I already stored so many of her stuff in a trunk and when I check out BJD shops for clothes, wigs and eyes, I keep having this thought in my head, "Ooh, these will suit my doll well."
      and it repeatedly happens I don't even know how to stop!

5. Yeah, I'm hoping that I'll be able to make some of the clothes myself. I don't have a sewing machine, but I am pretty decent with hand-made items. Though, we'll have to see. lol!

Still, if I got just the doll (with face-up) and only one nice quality wig it will still be around $500 with shipping. Yikes!

6. I tought I spent more.

7. This is what I hope to do. I don't know how to sew, but my mom bought herself a very high-quality sewing machine we've yet to use, a number of years ago. I want to give my doll a basic outfit that she can wear as I screw up every sewing project I try :). And then maybe I can save money in the long run. But then you find that there are some things you can't creatively get around.

8. If she's coming with a faceup, she will have a faceup protector and you don't need MSC. (I do recommend buying putty though because Dollmore sticks the eyes in with sculpy ad it will make the eyes crack.

9. Sure, I know if I want nice shoes I'll have to buy those. And the fancier outfits and dresses are likely going to beyond my skill level to make. But still, even if I can only make simpler items, like shirts and some dresses, maybe pants and shorts too, then I can save some money. Especially since I have several old pieces of clothing laying around for fabric. ;)

10. Well, sort of. But some of that was due to me just not paying attention. ^^; While I know I definitely got a great deal, paying the same amount I expected to for a doll with two outfits and three wigs instead of just a naked, bald doll like the original plan was, there are other aspects that kind of snuck up on me, in part because I had no idea I was going to end up with this particular doll when I started saving. I expected to get an M bust DD with a factory faceup and a more modern, casual style that I ascribed to her. Instead I got a DDDy that I decided to turn into the protagonist of the steampunk comic Girl Genius. So, while I didn't have to go buy the right wig retail, for instance, I did have to get the right eyes and MSC. (Luckily my family's very artsy so we actually had pastels, acrylics, and Pearl Ex lying around.) I also forgot to account for shoes and a stand, which is stupid considering those are costs I would have had to deal with even with the doll I originally planned to get. >.< Still, with my lucky marketplace find, and the fact that I'm essentially forced to make her clothes due to her unique style, I still spent less than I would have with my first plan.

11. yeah. i really wsh that when you buy the dolls, the company should give the dolls one outfit at least because you spend soo much money on it. i tend over spending on my dolls clothing

12. I just took a breath at the end total price and pressed (enter) and knew it would be worth it a few months later. =)

13. My second doll was dropped much more expensive than I planned, I was in love with Luke, I was afraid to do the makeup, and asked with makeup, the clothes in the DOD and shoes are expensive too, but I was buying and in the end still paid high fees at customs, :...(not to mention the delay was four months of waiting.

At home-Hwang Lee (Luke # 1 DOD), Erik (Don Ringdoll)
      Waiting for Erin-Head (or-Doll) Cherie (Iple house)
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/lukca/

14. Hmm..I've saved enough money to buy the doll I want, nude. Lol I'm hopping to be able to sew her clothes, and to do her make up by myself.
      I'm gonna give these do it yourself stuff a try, and if I can't make it, I'll pay someone for the make up and/or buy clothes.
      But the time I will spend trying, it's time I get for saving money again :) So it will be okay..I hope!

..Okay I've just realised she is going to need a wig! Hmm she's not ordered yet and is not going to arrive at home soon..so hopefully I'll find the money I need for a wig!

I think we have to be optimistic in this hobby :P

15. :XD: After a frenzied bidding war on Y!Japan some years back [and I don't regret it one bit!] I've just started mentally adding $100 to the end price after I account for everything in the order. Then I feel better when the total is lower than my artificial inflation :lol: It also gives me a nice cushion in case, heaven forbid, I DO end up miscalculating somewhere.

16. Haha once I factored in my boy, on his new Luts body, a faceup, clothes, wig, shoes, he was gonna set me back a good bit over $800. But now I have plans on buying his head from the Marketplace, then buying him an SSDF body... I'm pretty sure, this is all going to set me back *well* over $800, but I'm willing to pay the extra so I can be truly happy with him.

17. Luckily, I stray away from international buying. US-based dealers/reps for me, and US-based seamstresses off etsy for clothes~ (Well, okay--the first two things I bought from etsy were from Bangkok and Korea, BUT. The most I paid for shipping was like $4. So.) And with MP access now, I can buy second-hand as well, from people in the states. :] Makes life easier (though I probably will have to go through RS to get a few of my wish list dolls--but even then, the EMS quote was only $24, for a doll that's just $150 to begin with.)

There's no shame in bargain-hunting and shopping around (for everything!), especially in a hobby that can turn so expensive, so quickly. In total, for both my girls, all their wigs/eyes/clothes, I've spent probablyyyy...$475 so far? $700 with the guy I ordered (including his eyes/wig/clothes I've yet to buy), which...yeah, that might seem a little steep (and I pray to god my family/fiance never sees this post! xD), but--it's three dolls. AND all their components--wigs, eyes, all their clothes and shoes, etc. It's a balancing act with cost! :lol: