1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiple characters in one doll

Mar 13, 2019

1. For me the face-up fixes the doll, so although I may contemplate having the same head sculpt for different characters but styled differently, it would be impossible for me to imagine two characters sharing the same doll features (although it sounds all right for two dolls to have similar wardrobes and thus share clothing) - unless they are in a story where two characters are supposed to be mirrors of each other (e.g White Swan vs Black Swan). There is some wriggle room for me if the character happens to be an actor or a model, since in those cases they wouldn't be a completely different character per se, just taking on another role in that situation. My current doll is like that.

Ooo, I like this scenario very much. I have to explore AUs sometime...

2. This is kind of how I need to think of it. I need one 'human' character and one character that is just the doll, living in my house. It felt instinctively odd at first - like breaking the fourth wall, I guess. But reading about other people doing it is bringing me round more and more to the idea.

I like all these ideas!

3. I can't do it. I'm not one of the collectors who refers to their dolls as their "resin kids" (I have human kids, so...no), but I do feel like each of them has their own specific little personality that shines through when they arrive, and the ones who don't - which doesn't happen very often - are the ones I end up selling. I see them as such complete individuals that I can't even bring myself to have multiple heads sharing a body, although I'm intellectually aware that it would certainly save a lot of money and space. :sweat

4. To an extent I plan to do this. I have an original character of mine I tend to rp/place in all sorts of different settings so things like eye color, hair styles, clothes, and other accessories will be swapped out routinely. I can also see myself have him cosplay some of my favorite characters and doing holiday themed looks. My character will still technically be the same character though.

The thing that originally attracted me to bjds is how versatile they are when it comes to customizing them and swapping things like eyes/wigs out. I find it more exciting to have one doll I can completely change the look of on whim, than having a bunch of dolls locked into set looks.

5. That's what I'm thinking of doing with one of my dolls,making her into a cosplay doll so she can be lots of different characters. I don't really have a backstory or personality/character for this particular doll,she's just a pretty doll that I want to dress up in different ways. It's also a good excuse to make more wigs and eyes. :evilplot:

6. I do, though only between two characters. I chose two of my dolls specifically because I felt that they were versatile enough to shell both. The characters have very different eyes, hair, and fashion, so by changing those aspects they're more than distinct enough for me.

7. I’m glad to find this thread. I have three dolls (waiting on one more) and only one doll has a solid character (she is my Mini me) other dolls are 1/4 and smaller. Since I can’t afford more dolls, and the smaller dolls does not have distinguish male/female features yet, I have girl character and boy character. I hope I can buy actual boys when I find suitable ones for my other dolls. I just feel unbalanced or unfair for not having boy character in my doll collection. Maybe that’s just OCD. Lol

8. It's one doll per character for me, though I do have one that can be herself or her basically identical reincarnation depending on her accessories.

I have two other characters that have the same face sculpt, default makeup, and general appearance (long black hair) but they are different enough to me that I couldn't switch them. The subtle difference in the makeup, their slightly different skin tones since tan produced back in 2009 wasn't that consistent apparently, and just having them each be themselves for so long would make it too weird to sell one and alternate dressing the remaining one up as the other.

9. None of my dolls are set characters, so I change them how I see fit! Sometimes Ruby is a dark haired goddess and sometimes shes a pink haired school girl, just depends on how I feel dressing my dolls up at the time lol

10. I can certainly relate to having an over abundance of doll characters floating around in my head. And while I saw the idea of multiple characters in one doll as a wonderful way to limit my collection early on, I soon realized that the characters themselves would not be denied…once they were here, they came to stay! I failed miserably at combining them…the next character would need their own doll, etc…on down the line. So I slowly brought my characters home…one at a time, at the pace of about 3 per year, all purchased on layaway to spread out the payments. After 16 years, yeah…you can add it up.:sweat So I greatly admire anyone who can combine multiple characters into a single doll. It’s a great idea if you can manage to pull it off.:thumbup

11. Ohhh yes , I switch outfits , wigs everything . I love to make every time new styles for them . To discover new personalities for them .

12. I definitely have multiple characters for my dolls! Even for my own non-doll characters that I draw, I tend to let them have different incarnations in different stories I make. It's more like the dolls are actors and they can play different characters in different stories. Change the hair, change the eyes, change the outfits—they can become whole different characters! I think it's really freeing since I also have few dolls but many different things I enjoy when it comes to characters. :XD:

13. Sort of? Jack and Deanna are essentially always the same character, but they'll get to play alternate versions of themselves-- and some of the fashion-scale dolls I plan on padding out their crew with might play different characters in those different settings if necessary, to cut down on how many dolls I buy. As I build up their wardrobe and when I'm able to build sets for taking photos, I'll know what I need to tell the stories I want to tell for them.

Deanna is actually going to be the opposite, though-- I plan on getting a Dean (happy coincidence that the sculpt name that looks like he could be her twin is already the masculine version of her name) who... will be the same character, for the alternate settings where that character is male. I have a few historic/fantasy/contemporary settings and in some of them she's Deanna while in others he's Dean. So that character gets two dolls, while minor characters might share one doll.

14. My dolls don't have characters, but I have Lusis, Sist, and Oyasumi faceplates for my Unoa. I don't care too much for Sist, but Lusis and Oyasumi feel like different dolls that share a body. I've given Oyasumi a name, but I feel like Lusis isn't "Hikari" and still doesn't have a name.

It makes me want to buy another Unoa 1.0 body for Oyasumi, but I've sworn off buying more minis.

15. My first doll originally had no story, but I was actively writing a story that heavily inspired me, and I made her ‘cosplay’ my characters from the story.

She was later added into the story, thus ending her cosplay. I would change her eye position and clothes to make her look different to me, but I haven’t done it since only having her. I think it’s fun to get the full potential in that way!!