1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Multiple companies using the same fantasy concept ?

Dec 17, 2009

1. I don't have a problem with more companies branching out into mythology - I wish some would do more research into different gods and fantasy creatures for inspiration rather than seeing Soom try something and then watching another company play a variation on the same theme. It just seems so band-wagony. Angelheim was awfully inventive to strike at the potential in Medusa snakes before Soom thought of it and that impresses me. Souldoll coming out with a giant centaur was really fresh. Domuya's Life Project is completely unique.

In short : More variety please. :abambi:

2. I'm a fan of a videogame series based on the Sengoku (Warring States or Civil War) Period of feudal Japan, which just happens to be a major reference and theme for lots of stories (manga, anime, games, books, and so forth). So, I found a certain comment pretty interesting in the matter: some people complained about different companies basing off his characters in the same historical person from the Sengoku; some other fans argued back that said historical people weren't copyrighted to a company, thus any company could base their games and characters on them and reinterpret their own way.

Well, I feel it's the same with fantasy themes and dolls in BJDs. Vampires, werewolves, fairies, sirens, elves and other creatures have been part of the folklore of several countries for centuries, to the point we can't say the real vampires are those who come from Romania, just to put a lousy example. So, if BJD companies want to release dolls based on fantasy creatures, that's in fact quite welcomed in my case, since I'd love to see new concepts and ideas in the hobby. I like to see how each artist and company interprets a theme. If it's about vampires, fangs are to be expected because it's part of the vampire lore - but it becomes just another matter altogether if it's too obvious artists are outright copying molds, or maybe "feeding" on the popularity of a certain doll/mold (horns are fine with me - but a company releasing horns which look identical to another company's, down to the painting and the colors? Just no).

If it's about popular themes or already introduced ideas, they should be interpreting, reinterpreting (just let's think about how many versions of Alice in Wonderland there are) and reimaging of concepts. You can always depict the same object (or idea, or story, etc.); it's the way you present it that will count in the end.

3. How do you feel about the repetition of the same ideas?
      I don't mind sculptors working from the same inspiration. I find it somewhat mercenary when the inspiration seems to actually come from the prior successful sales pitch of another company and not from the sculptor's apparent love of the original subject.

Do you get burned out on multiple companies using the same fantasy concepts or do you like the idea that they are more accessible (and possibly cheaper) and therefore available to more people, including those who do creative mods that they might not do with a more limited/expensive doll?
      It's interesting to watch other companies tackle a particular idea with varying degrees of success. I don't care if the dolls are more or less accessible. If the second or third variation on the same theme doesn't manage to improve on the engineering or aesthetic quality of the first, I find myself dismissing the results as hackneyed.

Do you mind seeing the same concept in multiple gallery threads or is it just like looking at similar facial sculpts? Do the differences between the dolls produced offset the similarity? Does the customization mean that you don't get bored?
      I'm pretty bored with it all and most of them look much the same to me, really. I don't see many new beautifully sculpted and well engineered original dolls that rock my toe socks anymore, even with the fantasy bits stuck onto them.

How do you feel about your own dolls when they are no longer so distinctive?
      I like my own dolls perfectly well, but I feel less compelled to share them with others online now. At the end of the day, they are about as distinctive as a mass produced item can be.

Are some companies capitalizing on the ideas of others?
      It's obvious that this is the case, regardless of whether or not we pass judgement on the consequences of this capitalization.

4. Go Resinsoul GO! Make fantasy characters for those of us who feel paying THREE house payments for a doll is off the wall ridiculous!

So in a word, more power to the cheaper companies.

And Angelheim Zion is MUCH prettier than ANYTHING SOOM has cranked out...

5. I'm all for more variety in the fantasy-themed doll realm. For those who are maybe a little uncomfortable modding our dolls, it's really cool to be able to get a fantasy doll right out of the box! Also, multiple companies making dolls with the same features (horns, hooves, elf ears, etc.) is a plus in my book. For those of us who can't afford an Angelheim doll, there are always the less-expensive Resinsoul and Bobobie dolls. Not only budget, but one's personal preference for a certain company's face mould factors in there as well. I, for one, would like to see more wings, claw-like feet and hands (bird or dragon, maybe?), and a greater variety of resin colors to choose from!;)

6. Agreeing with idrisfynn here-- I like it, but variety would be nice too.

And I didn't particularily like that Ciel Knight that Angelheim made though. Obvious bite of Luts LE Blue Knight was obvious.

So are you calling the people that are willing to pay out the money ridiculous? And Angelheim cheap? If anything, Angelheim's about average. I don't see where you're going with this.

7. I don't think that the other is calling the people ridiculous, it is up to them how much to pay. But some of us find the astronomically high prices unreasonable for some of the fantasy dolls. Which is why we're pleased to see the lower-priced ones by other companies. Yes some are what is 'average' but its still lower than the LE prices!

8. I think it's really good that other companies are experimenting with new ideas and producing new dreams, concepts, and dolls in general for their consumers. When one company does something like hooves...the next company now has the idea and can go from there...with ideas like "how can we keep the appeal of this new concept and make it our own/make it affordable/make it better"

I do think it's a little weird like when I first saw RS hooves I was like.."um...sure go ahead and do the soom thing" but it really is cool how you can get different takes to suit different people.

Also, another example (if it hasn't already been brought up) I'm sure there was some fuss at the beginning when anthro dolls came about..the adorable cats and rabbits. I think Luts was one of the first? anyway..Along with Luts, there is Pipos, Resinsoul, the Catsy doll and people make their own even. If ideas weren't recycled, we'd have less variety, less fun, less innovation, and less in general.

9. All right, I can agree to your tone.

And maybe I would invest in a cheaper doll, if I actually liked them. Just brings that matter up again-- what version you like best, you should save for, rather than 'settling for less.' This is just how I see it, imo.

10. Indeed, you should pick the version you like, be it the expensive LE's or the less costly standards. Its nice to see the fantasy dolls becoming 'standard' now. I'm very very tempted to want a mini with the wolf legs, but right now he doesn't fit anything for me, so I'm happy to look! XD

11. I like that a lot of companies are coming out with fantasy options... I totally respect companies that come in at a lower price point and come up with their own spin on the concept and come up with their own marketing campaign from scratch.

But as some people have mentioned, it rubs me the wrong way when companies work to recreate successful companies' dolls and advertising. There have been cases where exact color schemes, photo compositions, etc. have been "borrowed." I think it's off-putting in two regards - first, it's stealing someone else's campaign... and for another, it's devaluing to their own work! It's like saying "Here, we don't have our own identity, we're hoping you'll buy our product because it's available and cheaper" rather than trying to sell on the greatness of their own product.

I like seeing the fantasy dolls, but I'm not looking to buy them... so I sort of hope the fad doesn't go on toooo long. I'd like to see companies focusing on new headsculpts than on a million new hoof designs. I am REALLY bored with hooves.

12. I really like the fact that there is more of them out there as it helps when you have a character concept and no head mold to match, so you can find one and just make hybrids.

While some are getting tired over it, I am not really interested in the animal sculpts so I just dont look at them.
      Now someone will ask why I am getting a Glati (with hooves) if I am not interested ? Well he worked for a character and seems to be the only one in all the sculpts I found that fitted him. He also comes with a normal body which is awesome.

Hooves, paws, or not, in the end its the head and body structure that counts more for me. The more different body types there is, the more hybrids possibilities there is and that is always a good thing except if you are against it.

Like some others are saying, more variety would be best too =P

13. I have been waiting for ages for someone to bring out MSD hooves... so I am more than pleased that there are more companies than just soom bringing out fantasy parts- especially in the MSD size. It gives us more scope to find the right parts for our characters, and more chance for modification! I think the joy of this hobby is sometimes seeing how different sculptors interpret similar themes- men, women, vampires, elves... etc, and that definatly feeds my creativity as a doll owner/ character creator.
      I could wait forever for soom to bring out MSD's (very very unlikely, in that they don't even make them...) or I could watch new artists take similar ideas and create things in different sizes- all power to their elbows, say I!

mimi :)

14. Three house payments for some, less than a month's rent for others. ;)
      When a low price point becomes a major factor in a company's success, I can only feel that the ultimate loser is the collector. What level of artistry are we sacrificing to consumer convenience? What impetus does the sculptor have to create something original?

15. ohh you speak to my heart. I too would like to see some other new concepts. Doing what Soom does is a bit boring to me because I am not into Fantasy dolls. I sooo appreciate them as an art piece but it is NOT my cup of tea. I want to see other companies branch out!!! Do some different stuff :)

I also agree about stealing someone's campaign. It is one thing to draw from the same inspiration well. It is something else to flat out copy it. Thus, I would not buy from companies that I see doing that. I prefer to get my dolls from artists who have their own ideas, style, and unique execution. But that is all subjective in the end isn't it? :apirate: