1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

My first visit in a doll clinic

Oct 18, 2010

1. I've never heard of them, besides one popular little girls' doll company that has such services for their own brand.
      I do all my own BJD repairs if I am able to, because I am very much involved in the DIY artistic part of the hobby, and maintenance is part of that. I like being able to look after my own dolls, and lately I've been discovering it's fun to help other people with theirs and see their faces light up when you can help them with a simple fix.

2. A doll Clinic...wow when I think of it , it seems so romantiscised in my head! *imagines little tiny wards and beds for the dolls* I know that is silly but...doll clinic! How nice to know they exist

3. Have you ever needed a doll clinic?
      Some of my dolls have needed treatment before, as they are secondhand, but I never brought them to a clinic outside of my own house.

Have you made good experience?
      I have taken to doing all their treatments myself, and all came well.

Do you repair your dolls yourself?
      I do, and not just my own. In fact I have earned the unofficial title of "Dolly Doctor" in my local BJD groups, and even 'cosplayed' as such for a convention where I hosted the BJD panel. I've done many restringings, suedings, wig stick fittings, eye putty replacements, etc. I often carry a 'doctor's kit' to meetups and conventions, because you just never know.

4. I ... wasn't even aware they had doll clinics. We don't even have anything like that were I live. It sounds awesome though.:D

I personally would rather do the restringing myself though. Not because I know what I'm doing(I don't even have a doll yet and restringing sounds scarier than it probably is), but because I'm paranoid as hell and don't generally trust strangers with my stuff, professionals or not.

5. There is a doll hospital quite near to where I live, a few towns over :)
      When I first got my doll, I took her there as her arms were (and still are! :/) very loose.
      The woman and her husband deal mostly in repairs and restringing jobs, and they make their own porcelain dolls too... but upon checking Fee and cooing over her for a while, they said she didn't need tightening as her strings might snap!
      So regarding repairs, I would send her there in a heartbeat, but for restringing, I think I will build up the courage to do it myself (eventually lol) as they obviously have a passion for dolls, but not much experience in BJDs.

6. Well, in my opinion doll (and teddy bear) clinics are for antique dolls and plush animals who need special treatment. And yes, there are plenty of them here in Germany, you can find such little shops in every larger city. But to answer your question: no, I don't think I'd take my BJDs there. They are usually specialized in repairing bisque and paperclay dolls. Well, some will probably also repair vinyl and some newer materials, but I'd still be concerned that they might do or touch the doll with something that could stain the resin. Then again I'm also able to do all the basic maintenance and repairs myself, so I actually wouldn't need them in the first place.

Are you a member of one of the German BJD forums? Because there are a lot of members there who offer restringing/sueding/modding services at low cost and if you sent your doll to them you would be sure that those people know what they are doing. There are also a lot of meets throughout Germany, maybe you should attend one, I'm sure there will be at least one person there who would be willing to show you how to string your doll :).

7. Have you ever needed a doll clinic?

Yes, I visited the doll doctor at Tenshi No Sato (Volks SD Headquarters) in Kyoto, Japan. The head plate for my MSD had fallen off while in Japan so when we went to Tenshi No Sato I had both of my dolls with me looked at by SD Doctor Nina.

The Beauty Salon is located in a separate two story building on the Tenshi No Sato grounds where classes are also taught. You need to remove your shoes before and put on indoor slippers before entering. The floor is all cushy and the Beauty Salon smells of finishing spray and paint. There are pretty doll displays and even a photo space.

The Beauty Salon Building.
      [​IMG]

Once in the Beauty Salon, you fill out a simple form and show the SD Doctor what you want done or if you just want your doll looked at. Some repairs can be done while you wait while others can take a few days to a few weeks.

Inside the Beauty Salon. The white basket in the back is given to you to transport your dolls around the buildings and gardens.
      [​IMG]

Nina took both dolls into the back area and worked on them while we waiting in the front area.Nina was able to glue on the head plate so I would not have to worry about loosing it in Japan as well as adjust the stringing of both of my dolls.

For USA events Volks will bring their SD Doctors so repairs can be made including Dollfie Dreams.

I really enjoyed visiting the Beauty Salon. Nina also gave me some good points on how to handle my doll while dressing her and positioning her.
      She also recommended that I check out the plum blossoms as the trees were in full bloom and even drew plum blossoms on my certificate!

[​IMG]

I also repair dolls myself. I restring them, insert KIPS discs, and am slowly in the process of removing seam lines and sueding them (with real suede not the hot glue method) for better mobility.

8. I honestly did not even know that doll clinics were things that existed before I visited this thread.

So obviously I've never needed one before. I hope I never do. D8

9. Yes I have visited a doll clinic! ^^ The lady was very silly and kind. I took my OT doll down because her arm was messed up and had been for years. She fixed her up in about a week. :D

I have not taken my on-topic dolls to a clinic, but if I was near the Volks one I would! My SD's knee is broken and I tried to fix it but it broke again in the exact same place. >_<

10. Just email Volks USA and they can arrange for a replacement for the knee.

11. There are doll doctors and doll hospitals for vintage and antique dolls. I know doll doctors for my vintage dolls just in case of an emergency. However, BJDs, are new contemporary dolls. I intend to learn how to care for them myself.

A few years ago, when I was new to this forum, someone told me Volks in Kyoto has a small doll hospital/clinic.

There are doll spas for vintage and antique dolls! The dolls get cleaned, pampered and polished professionally. Some have their hair styled and makeup done etc. ;)

12. Same here but I could definitely use one.

13. Oh wow, really?? I will do that, thanks! :D

14. In Lisboa, Portugal, there's a doll clinic in the centre of the city. They don't have BJDs, but there are a lot of antique dolls, vintage and Barbies. The saddest room is the room of forgotten dolls - people brought them to be fixed and never picked them up. It's so frustrating to see all these heads, legs, bodies abandoned by their owners.

15. I have Doll Hospital is my home.
      my dad is very supportive of me in the BJD area and many things to do for them himself. He also repairs!

16. Have you ever needed a doll clinic?
      Noooo. I DO need to have my dolls re-strung, but I really should just get used to doing it myself. I don't like having dolls go out of my hands, anyway. But I have to admit, I am reluctant to re-string! I'll just have to buck up and do it, though! I know it's easy enough (in concept). BUT if someone at a meetup or con or whatever was set up to re-string dolls, I'd probably take advantage of it!

N/A. to me, but I know someone who has done this and it seemed fine, according to them.

So far, they have not needed actual repairs!!!! But if they did, it would depend on how bad the damage was that needed repairing. For something big, I'd send it off. For stringing--I'd do it myself or find someone at a meetup.

17. I've never taken any of my BJDs to a doll clinic. I have done a lot of restringing, sueding and even some minor repairs by myself. I don't think I would want to SHIP my doll to a clinic, but I wouldn't mind taking it to the clinic myself and waiting for it to be repaired.

You stated this perfectly, I could not agree more.

Linda S.
      galatia9

18. Considering how scared I can actually be with dolls that could break I wouldn't mind sending one off but I think the most I'd do is ask for his face up to be re-done or to have the sueding touched up. Most of the stuff is DIY and I like learning all those skills. I don't intend to re-string my guy unless absolutely necssecery but hey a doll clinic that specialized in BJD's BESIDES Volks? oh yeah!