1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

New Additions: Tips for making the most of a new doll

Apr 29, 2010

1. I see way too many topics on here where people get really upset about rude comments or negative reactions so I'd say...

Don't worry about what others think:
      You're going to get opinions on the doll from the moment someone sees them, it's not worth it to hide them from loved ones and only adds to dolly stress, so be polite, be courteous, and be blunt. You'd be surprised at how many people like them, on the other hand negative comments will happen but if it's important to you then know it has true value and most loved ones will respect that. If you want to take them to a fair/mall/convention and take photos then do so, words and stares cannot hurt you. It is the fate of every great artist to be misunderstood ;)

2. - It's ok not to "bond" with your doll. Meaning: It's ok if you only want that doll because, well, it's pretty and you want it.

- You can make up an elaborate background and character for your doll - but you don't have to.

- Same way, you can do photostories with your doll - but you don't have to, if you don't like photography. You also don't have to draw them, don't have to write about them and don't have to play with them. If it's good enough for you to have them just sit around somewhere, that's ok. That's how I handle my dolls, most of the time - and they still make me smile whenever I happen to look at them.

In short: Don't do something with your doll you don't want to do - cos you're simply not interested in it - just because everybody else seems to be doing it. ;)

3. I think most of it has been said already and I think these are great tips!!! This post should be added into NewbieLand as a "Must Read".

For me what worked...

Research... and then research some more Even when you think you know it all there is something new to learn. Oh and research helps choosing a doll... Sometimes people get so caught up on company pics they don't see the potential in the mold itself.

Breathe and take your time I think this relates to the tip above. Granted I purchased four dolls in a short amount of time. However! I did have months and months of research under my belt. I knew what I wanted and when I had the money I just made a bunch of purchases.

Figure out your style Are your dolls going to be anthros? Are they going to be gothy? Lolita? Fantasy? Go with what works for you. Don't think that your dolls have to look or dress a certain and don't let anybody tell you that "BJDs are supposed to be like this or that!" BJDs are what you want them to be. They are your dollies and you should enjoy them not resent them.

Smile and Enjoy!!! :D

4. Thank you so much!! This is really helpful!

5. So many good ideas! Thanks, everyone!!

6. My Tip: photograph them.

I think if you take photos of them then you get to pose and find out what kind of scenes your doll stands out in the most and what type of photostories you get to bond and find out more about your charachter than you probobly know

7. These tips are all very great. Thank you so much, everyone!
      I especially liked the Themed Stories idea and the Figuring the style and accent ideas.

My tip is: Do not get discouraged by negative comments and generally try yourself to be positive when with a doll in public place - people love it! :)

8. Ah, I'd've loved to read these tips when I was ordering my first doll...

My tip is: open your doll when you have plenty of time to play with them. I opened my first in a hurry and felt kind of lame afterwards (my grandparents came to visit). I became happier with her as time passed but I still would re-do the whole thing if I could now, opening the box only after they had left. Then I would have had time to concentrate on the first face-up too.

And also, prepare for the "christmas is over" -feeling. It's going to come no matter how much everything you do, and being with your doll will be an everyday thing, among other happy things in your life. Think of it and acknownledge it. The BJD hobby, after all, is not about getting dolls, but having them. ^^