1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

New Popovy "Venus" body

Sep 20, 2020

1. The sisters introduced a gorgeous, curvier, of Renaissance proportions body.
      I am definitely saving up for one.

the video: Login • Instagram

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. To be honest I have no clue what is "Renaissance" about this doll. I love how it's sculpted, those details are stunning. But it's a twig arms, slim doll with a bit of tummy fat. I think it's beautiful, but adding a bit of fat on tummy, with skinny bum, legs and arms isn't enough for me to count it as" changing the trend". For me it's another beautiful, but relatively slim doll.

For me Renaissance body is more like that Google Image Result for https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C9YTRIbXgAAwVaL.jpg

3. It's poetic interpretation, dear, no one is interested in replicating reality.
      There's enough of that already, to go round.

4. I am so into this new body! I'm waiting to see what the 2-part torso looks like :D

5. me too!!

6. Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I would be far more interested in a truly Renaissance style body than yet another super thin one, it would be different and really beautiful and interesting.

Not that this body isn't pretty, but there are a lot of well-sculpted very thin female BJD bodies out there. And calling it a Renaissance "Venus" body actually makes me like it less because it makes me expect something other than what is actually being presented.

7. this new body is so beautiful! i’m excited to see more pictures of it, as well as more examples of the posing with the single part torso. the 2 part torso will surely be wonderful, but there is something so dreamy about the complete, sculptural torso.

8. I admit I was interested at the idea of a new body, but I definitely agree that it's a little ridiculous to say that this body is changing any trends :lol: It's a pretty body, but to me it just looks like slightly more standard bjd proportions as opposed to the super stick thin fashion illustration look their previous body had.

9. I'd have to see a lot more pictures in good light to have my final verdict, but what I see right now makes me more interested in maybe getting one of these dolls... Eventually.
      The sculpting is beautiful, and yes I do recognize the famous Venus de Milo inspirations in some of the curves and breast shape, but she IS very stretched out and thinned... So I do have to agree that is not breaking any trends of BJD in general - she is still thinner than a lot of others dolls in her size :)
      Still - beautiful work and I'll enjoy seeing what they do with the body - the sisters are very talented :)

10. When i saw it was called venus i was expecting a fuller figure maybe like a greek goddess statue, but that being said, when i saw it i thought it was just lovely! I was pleasantly surprised to see it actually resembled my body shape which is nice to see:) and i think it does still give the goddess statue vibe but a little slimmer... its very pretty:)

11. I agree with you. This is a beautiful doll, and she is unique among BJDs, but I would still see her as more or less slender.

12. We all have right for artistic interpretation on particular takes. But I think that it's condescending assuming that no one wants realistic bodies that are the actual plus size, as we all have different tastes

There are plenty of dolls that are thin, and I absolutely love this edgy aesthetic. I like my dolls extremely slim. I just don't think that marketing this as Renaissance figure is adequate.

13. Well, I say passing off a personal opinion as generalization is certainly not the most prudential way of starting a discussion about body images in dolls? Especially in a hobby where a lot of artists are so involved in expressing their take on reality via the dolls, right alongside with those who explore their fantasy potential. Maybe it has something to do with from what part of the doll world you are coming to BJDs, since a lot of BJD hobbyists traditionally did not come from the fashion doll scene, and a lot of them still don't.

Anyway, the new body is eyecandy in those pictures, but too incongruous in its concept for me.

14. When Popovy says "changing the trend", I don't think it should be seen as anything other than a self-referential tag-line.

I don't think they are thinking of the bjd hobby as a whole, they are only speaking of their own evolution. Not to say they don't care about the bjd hobby at all, but really, with the recognition of their works around the world, why would they bother talking about the hobby in general? They don't need bjd hobbyists at large to sell their work, they have enough of their own following. I think they are "changing the trend" for Popovy, which is true, they have gone in a different direction.

I also think they are only referencing Bottecelli's "The Birth of Venus" who indeed has an otherwise slim body with some tummy, not referencing all shapes found in Renaissance paintings of women.

-----

Also, Mod note: Please don't fight in this thread. Any further bickering will be removed.

15. I too am interpreting this as a change from their previous bodies. I am, for once, interested in a Popovy doll! I have always liked some of the faces but the old bodies were not to my taste. This is very exciting! I love the little dimples :D

16. I definitely like this more than their previous bodies! The clothed pictures look really great. The shape in the torso is really nice, the hips are a great shape, and the addition of definition on tummy and muscles etc. For me it's a shame this doesn't carry over to the arms... the arms are very-tube like, lacking shape/definition, so that turns me off it.

17. I would prefer a little more meat on the arms also... I'm wondering if perhaps it's designed so that the doll looks proportionate when wearing clothes? It's hard to find fabric completely in scale for a doll sometimes; if she was in a sweater or a longsleeved shirt, I think the arms would look absolutely perfect in relation to the torso :love

18. [​IMG]

She's like a piece of art. I can't deal :D

19. Yes, definitely, being clothed would hide it and keep things in proportion. But then you wouldn't get to see the lovely body :lol:

20. Crop top sweater with little shorts? ;)