1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

no BJDs - thoughts?

Jan 17, 2012

1. General view?Well, there's BJD lovers and there's BJD lovers.

How much do you think a person not owning a BJD can even know about them? Experience is the best teacher, IMO.

How do you feel about getting advice from a user who doesn't own a BJD? I get most advice from the source, eg: what doll makers say about stringing, what resin artists have to say about safe materials for painting resin, etc.

Do you think that not taking non-owners seriously is a form of elitist thinking? What a question. I don't take anything seriously. :p

Any meet-up experiences? I live at the end of the world, so no dolly parties for me.

Anything else? No.

2. I don't have a bjd,but I did a lot of research before deciding to commit to this hobby. And I did even more research to find the perfect type of doll for me.
      How do you feel about getting advice from a user who doesn't own a BJD?
      I do not give people advice as I don't have the experience yet.
      Do you think that not taking non owners seriously is a form of elitist thinking?
      Yes. You do take time from finding about this hobby to buying your first right? Why begrudge others for this bit of time that almost all bjd collectors went through?

3. Because I got my first doll before DoA, as we know it now, even existed, I wasn't part of the community - I was simply a BJD owner. I knew shockingly little about these dolls when my first arrived in 2003 (Custom House Choa), so I learned through experience, much like many BJD owners back then. These days, because of DoA and other BJD communities, a newcomer to the hobby can learn a lot without actually owning a BJD.

As far as taking advice from someone without a doll, it ultimately boils down to what kind of advice is being given. There are many aspects of this hobby that do not require a doll to be knowledgeable about, such as working with resin (both painting and modifying), sewing, photography, properly scaled props, etc. However, some things do require hands-on experience (restringing comes to mind), so having no experience could prevent a person from giving meaningful advice.

4. General view?

I don't know that I have a general view on non-doll owners on DoA. Most people don't own any dolls or collect dolls let alone having an interest in ABJDs. I liked BJDs before I owned one, we all start there. I used to read the Yahoo group dedicated to ABJDs before DoA existed, as a noob I didn't say much and I read a lot. I didn't join DoA right away, I think I joined right when I bought my first doll. I do feel like I had more to participate with once I got a doll I guess.

How much do you think a person not owning a BJD can even know about them?

A person can know a lot about them. DoA is huge and filled with info, it just requires a lot of reading. Knowing about something and having the knowledge from practical experience can be different. Some "knowledge" is also subjective and opinion based so owning a doll is personally informative.

Depends on what the advice is about.

Do you think that not taking non-owners seriously is a form of elitist thinking?

This is a hobby about collecting weird dolls, I don't know exactly how seriously we should take anything... except perhaps the idea of recasts and bootlegging.

Any meet-up experiences?

Regarding non-doll owners? I've talked to a lot of non-doll owning attendees (at doll meets, conventions/Dolpa and passing looky-loos) and it's usually interesting and fun.

Anything else?

Nope.

5. I am currently a non-doll owner due to financial issues but I have been interested since I was 12 years old (I am 14 now) I am saving up money to get my first doll. I hope that I can get it soon. I actually know alot about these dolls without owning one I would say. I restrung my friend's doll because she doesn't know how to (she has been in the hobby for 3 years) I also did her eyelashes for her. I would says that people like me that don't own dolls can surprise you on how much we actually know about dolls without having one in possession.

6. General view? There are many reasons for not owning a doll. First off this is an expensive and risky hobby jumping in willy-nilly isn't wise or thrifty. Since it is an expensive hobby it can take time to accumulate the amount of money to buy your dream doll.
      How much do you think a person not owning a BJD can even know about them? I think a person can know a lot about BJDs without having to own one, with so much info online and many BJD focused communities a person who is interested in BJDs can learn many things before buying a doll.
      How do you feel about getting advice from a user who doesn't own a BJD? I believe that you can learn from everyone, and perhaps that might not own a doll yet that doesn't mean that their knowledge is worthless. They might know much more than actual owners in this day and age information isn't limited.
      Do you think that not taking non-owners seriously is a form of elitist thinking? Yes, it is a type of elitist because every member has something to contribute no matter their doll owning status.
      Any meet-up experiences? I haven't been to any meet ups yet.

7. General view?

I have been interested in ABJDs almost since they were first popularized in the US. Sadly, the doll I currently own/love/carry around with me every chance I get is not on-topic for DoA, though I don't love her any less for that. Not every forum, or even the ABJD community in general, is quite as specific as DoA on "doll criteria". Even the mods here state that just because they don't allow a doll on the forum doesn't mean it's not a "valid" ABJD. It just doesn't suit the type of doll focused on here. At least, that's my understanding. YMMV.

Well, you see, there's this wonderful invention called RESEARCH. Just because a history professor wasn't around in 1776 doesn't mean he/she won't know all about the signing of the Declaration of Independence. There's certain information that can only come from "hands-on" experience, true; but info about different sculpts, sizes, joint types, companies, and a wealth of other BJD subjects are all lying about on the Internet for anyone who knows how to use Google.

There are certain things that are universal to the doll community in general. Where to find in-scale fabric prints, for instance, or whether nylon, saran, kanekalon, mohair or even human hair is best for doll wigs. I've given advice in these forums myself because I have a lot of experience with dolls in general and in customizing dolls in particular. So, in certain instances, I'm qualified.

Do you think that not taking non-owners seriously is a form of elitist thinking?

Elitist thinking? In this hobby? Say it isn't so! :o Seriously, if you want to make fun of me because I have no on-topic dolls at present, have at. If you don't want my advice, don't take it. If you don't think I belong in the BJD hobby, think what you want. It's when you start telling me to "get a real BJD or GTFO" that we're going to have issues. (No, no one has said that to me, and I don't expect them to. Probably because doll people are, by and large, decent people. Also, they don't want to wake up in traction. :x)

8. The only time I have a problem with people giving advice is when they give innapropiate advice. And by inappropiate I mean dangerous to either doll or human. Unfortunately, it's just more likely that someone who's doll-less will do that. I know people want to jump in and help (and I love the enthusiam!), but you got to make sure you know what you're talking about.

I've seen people suggest human makeup, suggest acetone (without disclosing the potential side effects of melting your resin) and someone even said that Purity Seal [sealant] was safer to your lungs than MSC! (Protip - no sealant is safer than another for your lungs. They're all equally bad for you)

Does this mean I won't take advice from them? No, but I'd take it with a grain of salt (I take most new advice with a grain of salt). And I love it when new ideas and safe methods come to the hobby - it gives a better choice when it comes to doing this or that :)

9. I didn't join DOA until after I'd placed the order for my first doll, but I can see there being a lot of value for someone who doesn't own one to visit the forum, for research/advice etc. Everyone is at the non-owner stage at some point, and for many people it's going to take a while to finish researching and saving (it took me five years to move from admiring the dolls to being in a position to buy my own). Anyone interested in dolls and who can behave in an acceptable manner should be able to feel welcome at forums and meet-ups alike.

I really don't think anyone who has never owned a doll should be giving advice on specifically doll-related things, unless it's basic, common knowledge (e.g.: don't use permanent markers on your doll). Looking at pictures, reading tutorials, even handling a friend's doll isn't really a substitute for having your own doll to maintain. There are related topics (like how to save money, or photography tips) that non-owners could offer plenty of useful advice on, though.

It's certainly elitist to look down on somebody who hasn't managed to buy their own doll yet and it would be rude to actually tell them that you're dismissing their advice because of it, but I think it's reasonable to treat their doll-related advice with caution compared to somebody who has personal experience of the area you're seeking advice on.

10. I went 6 months on DOA without a doll and 8 months after I found out about them. I see no issue with someone not getting a doll right away. (It seems smart to go to meets to see other dolls.....I have bought and sold possibly more then 20 dolls because I could not see them in person first)

I also have a lot of respect for someone who works hard to save up for a doll!

11. 1. doll owners and their view on non-BJD owners

(General view? How much do you think a person not owning a BJD can even know about them? How do you feel about getting advice from a user who doesn't own a BJD?

There's a lot of research that can be done about dolls even if the person doesn't own one -- things like basic care tips for instance is information that anyone can easily access. When it comes to advise, it really depends on what that advice is on. When it comes to customization, I would give more weight to advice from someone that had experience doing those things, however, there maybe some other aspect of dolls where a non doll owner has a really good idea. There's not really a blanket yes or no answer to this.

I don't think it's necessarily elitist. Being elitist suggests that the doll owning person considers themselves to be better than the non doll owner. Not having a doll is no reason to be treated disrespectfully, however, as I said before, a lack of experience in some areas may make their advice more suspect. That's really just a matter of some aspects of the hobby being very hands on in nature, and there are some things you can't really do without a doll.

12. I'm between these two things. I do not have a BJD at the moment but I have owned one. I've been on and off with this hobby for about 5 years and still I'm no expert. I do think I know a good amount about bjds but there's also a lot of things I do not know. I will give advice as best I can to my knowledge but in the case I don't know anything about the thing that's being asked I wont give it a guess.

I view non owners like everybody else, sure they might not have experience but they could of done more research than I have and be more informative in some areas. As for owners the same thing goes as non owners, one might have more experience and the other has more info. It balances out in way. Ill take advice from both. I welcome everybody! :)

13. Non - BJD Owner Experiences:

I found out about BJDs in 2005 and looked into the hobby. Although I loved a lot about BJDs, there wasn't a BJD I felt compelled to own. So I basically put it in the back of my mind. I really got into BJD in 2009 after seeing all that had become available since I last looked.

All the dolls I wanted were popular, expensive LE dolls, so I wasn't in a position to just buy one right off the bat. I fell in love with Volks, so I put a lot of my time into researching all about them. I'll admit that not having a doll did make me less likely to post, I felt I just didn't really have anything to say. I may have given advice once or twice, but it was Volks product availability and release history. I never or would have never given advice on things like, faceups, stringing, modding etc. because I didn't feel I had the experience to give that kind of information.

Honestly, I didn't feel like I was a part of the community or a collector. I considered myself an admirer.
      But that was based on my own views, not based on views or opinions pushed on me by this forum or anywhere else.

I also never went to a meetup, because I felt I didn't really have a reason to be there. I think I might have gone if I had a BJD collecting friend IRL who was going, but I didn't.

As a Doll Owner:

After getting serious, I finally got my first BJD earlier this month. Now I feel I truly am a BJD collector. However, I still don't feel like I suddenly have a right to give advice when I'm learning everything firsthand myself. In terms of non-collectors, I definitely don't look down on them, having been in that position myself.

However, I would evaluate advice from a non-collector based on what it was. If it was something like finding an item or tutorial online or suggestions for my doll's faceup, I think their advice is as valid as anybody else's. If it's something having to do with doll work/repair etc. I might do a bit research into their answer. Honestly though, I would probably do tons of research no matter who is posting the advice. It could be a total newbie with no doll or a seasoned collector with tons more dolls and experience than me.

14. General view?

Overall: It depends.

A decent amount of info, but in my opinion there's only so much you can know about something until you have it in your hands. This was true for me, anyways.

Would you completely and utterly trust a mechanic who's never touched a car? Would you trust a doctor who's only "researched" surgery? First, it depends on what kind of advice. If they've done their research and can show me examples, I would really appreciate their help. Some non-BJD owners may know more about some aspects about BJDs than I do. However, I can say that I didn't truly understand re-stringing until I did it myself. No amount of face-up tutorials would ever make me feel comfortable telling someone how to thin their paint, if I had never done it personally. So, I think directing people to different threads, tutorials and information is appreciated, but acting like you know how to do it because you just watched videos is not the same as personal, hands-on experience. If a non-BJD owner does have painting, sewing, photography or other related skills, they could give better advice than a BJD owner. Again, it all depends.

When I was BJD-less, I didn't give advice, but I did point users to certain threads I found helpful (resin matching, for example). I consider this trying to be helpful, not "giving advice". Sometimes I still don't feel comfortable giving advice unless I have done it and know what works and what doesn't.

No, it's making sure you don't ruin your doll that you worked hard to own. If someone on the side of the road gives you advice because they say they have experience, you would still check it out to make sure. I always want to have a lot of sources that confirm what I'm about to do to my doll before I try it. I don't look down on non-BJD owners, nor do I think I'm somehow better than them because I own a doll. Even as a doll owner, I wouldn't be offended if someone said that they wanted to do more research before taking my advice or asking for my sources so they could read it more in depth. ​

15. Interesting topic! I've been a member of this forum for a few years but hardly ever post because I don't feel I have much to add. I don't have a doll for a few reasons. One being financial. And the other is the right doll has not found me yet. Buying a BJD is a big deal and I want to wait until I find the perfect one.

I feel like I know a lot about BJDs, but I wouldn't give another advice about them. I would, however, point them in the direction they could find advice.

I don't feel like part of the community, but that is because I have not made myself part of the community. Everyone seems really helpful and friendly and if I integrated myself more I am sure I would be welcomed with open arms.

16. I have no problem with people on here that don't have dolls... but I do have to scratch my head when I see someone make certain comments (such as ''that looks like it must be a recast'') when they admit they have never had or even seen a BJD in real life. Until people cross the line by giving advice that needs actual doll handling experience, advice that may end up damaging the actual BJD owners dolls who follows the advice thinking the person is experienced such as dying a doll or modding it then who cares?

I'd say people without BJDs come here to learn about them, or share experiences of other BJD owners while they save up to buy one (or decide if they really want to get into it) I know I don't have many comments and only started commenting with my most recent doll, but I've been coming here frequently and reading all these threads for years in silence. I've just recently felt like getting more social about it (I don't have friends with BJDs, just my husband) and yet other members don't have any BJDs but loads of posts, and I think it reflects their want to learn more about them :) I'd say it's a good thing :D

17. General view?

Places like this are a good idea for research if one plans to become an owner. I imagine they're also a good bit of fun for someone who may not want or feel the need to own a doll themselves, but enjoys photographs of them and looking at the collections other folks have. A lot of creativity and beauty is here -- that's a lure to a lot of people, whether they own a BJD or not, so I can see a lot of entirely valid reasons for someone to be around even if they never plan to own a doll, and I cheerfully support their right to be here right alongside the doll owners. :)

Considering the amount of info available on the board, quite a lot. They may also know an owner, or have handled them to know the 'feel' and so on -- those things aren't exclusive to owners only. The roomie, for instance, while he doesn't hang out here, has handled my dolls and come to meetups and has had a blast doing so.

This depends entirely what the advice is about. Someone asking for tips on sewing can get the best way to roll a hem from a non-doll-owner, for instance; that's totally valid. Also, are they a former owner, or live with one? That changes what they may or may not know also.

On certain topics, I find it a little less appealing than others, though this has a lot to do with the opinion itself that's being expressed -- and there are certainly a lot of owners with (what I consider to be) some crazy ideas about how to go about any given aspect of the hobby.

I think it certainly can be, but it depends on what isn't being taken seriously. Blowing off anything and everything said? Yeah, I'd call that some snobbery. A lot of the 'you MUST behave this way as a doll owner!' thinking I can't take seriously no matter who it is coming from -- but I admit up front I can't help but squint a little harder at some of the wilder notions in this regard when they come from someone who has never even handled a doll. That said, crit on photography or sewing or styling or even the design of a doll itself can come from anyone -- owner or not -- and be entirely valid, so I see no reason to discount it.

18. Ha! This is my thread--I've been interested in BJD's/on DoA for over three years and still haven't gotten my first. I'm definitely a lurker and have been quietly researching all this time, but I think there is a plateau that occurs when simply gathering outside information. Sooner or later, a little hands-on experience will be necessary. That said, I think it's a beneficial thing to have this wealth of knowledge before even setting eyes on a doll, rather than the other way around. I have never experienced elitism toward non-BJD owners on DoA, and in fact it never even occurred to me that people may feel that way!

19. I think it depends on the situation. Some people may have experience with materials used for BJD customization even if they have never seen a BJD. Some people can sew, make things with epoxy, etc. regardless of their experience with BJDs specifically. I do not mind taking advice from people without BJDs on something I may use in the hobby as long as it is about something with which they have experience.
      Also, some people without BJDs may know a great deal about the history of them, whereas I do not. I know about the dolls I like, but I don't, for example know very much about Volks and all the dolls they have produced. I am sure there are some people who have never owned a BJD who could tell me all about Volks.

20. I joined the forum at the same time as I got my first BJD as I knew I would want more dolls and at the time of buying my first one I knew next to nothing about them. I have only been collecting BJDs for about 9 months and I still feel that I have a lot to learn. I think that for those who don't actually own a BJD, forums such as this are a fantastic source of information, and give people a chance to ask questions that could have a major impact on determining the first doll that they purchase. I have to admit that I am surprised reading through this thread that there are so many members out there who don't own a doll (for one reason or another), but I think that it is a real credit to the forum and the community that both doll-owners and non doll-owners can come together and share their views and love of the hobby.