1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

no BJDs - thoughts?

Jan 17, 2012

1. I'm a non-BJD owner, but I'm very excited to my first doll. I'm not very knowledgable, but I've been to two panels and one met-up, and I have a BJD Guru to go to when I have questions. I love and respect the BJD community and I can't wait to be a bigger part of it!!

2. I think it's great that not every member on DoA has already leapt into owning a BJD.

It's sensible to wait, save up and spend time choosing the perfect doll. And depending on your circumstances, it's sensible not to buy one at all.

Not everyone can afford or justify buying these luxuries, but why shouldn't they be able to still enjoy the forums as much as the next person?

I hope those people without a doll still feel welcome here, because you are welcome :)

3. To be honest, I think it okay. I wish I'd waited and learned more about BJD's before getting my first. I wish I'd gone to meet ups and read up on the different types. I ended up waiting several months for my first but ended up with 3 dolls before she even arrived. I kind of regret doing that because I feel like if I'd waited and gotten the perfect doll I wouldn't have spent so much money. oo;

So I feel the people hang out on her waiting for the perfect doll have every right to do so!

4. Doll owners and their view on non-BJD owners

Non BJD owners are fun. So curious and fresh. I think it's fun watching the discovery. And when they finally get that first doll it's even better! They ask questions, they learn. I love sharing knowledge! As far as taking advice from someone who doesn't own a BJD; no I probably wouldn't do that. I wouldn't take driving advice from my grandmother because she has never ever driven a car either. Kinda the same thing. No experience. Is it elitist? Not in my opinion. When I got my first doll that is when I really started getting it. I think that learning what you can before owning is good because it prepares you for the experience.

Non-BJD owner experiences

As a Non-owner all those years ago I just was a sponge, soaking things up. I didn't think about giving advice because I felt I was in no position to give advice. When I was a non-owner I still was in the community. I was planning and researching; doing all the things we are supposed to do before sinking this much money in. I did on one occasion get a little grief from another DoA member but once she found out I was new, it smoothed over.

5. 1. doll owners and their view on non-BJD owners
      I imagine there are many newbies that know more than I do. If the advice is sound, I don't have an issue using it. People have in depth knowledge about all sorts of things. You don't necessarily have to own the object in question to be familiar with it. :)

6. I spent years after I found BJDs just admiring them from afar. I was uncomfortable speaking to owners because I felt very out of place having never even seen one in real life. Wish I would have, I would have begun my collection years earlier. Because I was too nervous to ask I never knew there were ways to buy dolls from in-state retailers, and I thought all dolls $1000 or more.

Now as an owner I can sympathize with non-owning enthusiasts who feel out of place and I wish I could help them more, but I've barely begun myself. I can understand why someone might be more comfortable just admiring from the other side of a screen without buying their own BJDs, though. Even the cheapest ones are a pretty penny when you're broke. And if you've never had the opportunity to play with one in real life, that's a scary amount to spend on something you might not like in the end.

7. I was apart of the community for some time before buying my first doll. I don't think it's a hobby that is entered into lightly. For most people it's a huge financial commitment and saving up can take a long time. Also, one needs to be sure that this hobby is for them before they commit to such a huge loss of money. I would have been angry after spending all that money to get my first doll, clothes and such, just to find out it wasn't what I thought or I didn't really like him after seeing him for the first time.
      Non-doll owners will at sometime eventually become doll owners. It's hard to only admire them without wanting one.

all I can say is a little kindness goes a long way. and we're all here for the same reason: we love these dolls, and want to share our fondness for them with others.

8. People above are right - admiring them without the inner need of having a one is rarely seen. This is a hobby, which uses our creativity, and looking on other's photos is for me 1/2 of this hobby. Someone could say, that it is creepy, because some people think that we like dolls more than humans - this is not true, because this hobby without sharing and meeting would be annoying and not very interesting.
      I don't have a doll, but currently I'm saving up for my first one - AE Xun. It was a long way, full of "I want THIS one!", but finally I've found the prefect mold for me.

9. As a non-doll owner this makes me feel happy that you feel this way. I make BJD clothes, accessories, and props without ever owning a doll. I simply can't afford it. But I'm glad I won't be discriminated against for it. My friend has dolls and I spend every minute I can with them.

On another note, reading these responses makes me want to go to meetups! I always assumed I wouldn't be welcome for not owning one, but now I know otherwise!

10. non-BJD owner experience

From what little bjd's I have seen in person, the ones at conventions, I haven't really had many unpleasant encounters.

I think it should be alright if a non BJD owner gives advice out. However, certain questions cannot be answered. Things like, "does she scratch easily?" or "How well So SD13 clothes fit her?" Obviously can't be answered by someone unless they have experience with the doll. Informational questions (aka: Things you could probably google) or Opinionated questions like "which head would you get if you wanted a innocent looking doll?" Sure, i can see a nonBjd owner giving advice about that.

well...I do feel like an outsider at the moment. (since i can't join in all of the "reindeer games" and all.) But I don't think its a bad thing. I mean, what is more important? Having a Passion for These little resin beauties? or Having something physical in your hand to show for it? I think its the Inside that counts

11. General view?

How much do you think a person not owning a BJD can even know about them? I do a lot of research about them for be ready for when I will buy my first doll. So my knowledge can be the same than a newbie with a doll.

How do you feel about getting advice from a user who doesn't own a BJD? I don't give advice when it concern things about doll or only if it concern something that can be answer by a person who don't own doll but if I read an information somewhere about it, I will give the link for they can look at it.

Do you think that not taking non-owners seriously is a form of elitist thinking? I think that yes. I don't have a doll and people always give respect on all the forum I go till now and are very happy to give me some answer

Any meet-up experiences? Not now but I think go to one this month

Anything else? No.

12. 2. non-BJD owner experiences

General view and experiences on DoA/real life?

I joined several fora in the last 5 months of discovering BJDS, it will be about 6 to 7 months before I can actually get myself a BJD. I am welcomed and do feel at home on every forum. I was greeted and welcomed here on DOA with open arms and kind hearts and look forward to doing that myself as well when new members arrive.

Do you think you shouldn't give advice to someone when you don't own a BJD?
      Actually I am often asked for advice, after all I had almost a full year to do my needed research on the dolls, I kinda know resin matches and such, restringing and face-up tips I know by head. I am also often asked for advice when it comes to posability since I watch box opening videos and photos daily, also reviews and such are a daily thing for me. So, I don't think that people without a doll shouldn't give advice, they might have done a lot of research where doll owners haven't looked yet ;)

If yes, what kinds of advices wouldn't you be willing to give?
      n/a
      I'd give all kinds of advice, I even had a long chat in the BJD skype room of the Dutch people here about how the Grown Ringdoll dolls seem to even have a joint for their crotch XD

Do you feel like you're not part of the community, because you don't own a BJD?
      I feel part of the community either way. Doll or not I enjoy looking at pictures and talking to doll owners anyway. Not having one at the moment doesn't reduce my love for all of them in any way and I certainly don't feel out of place here. I more feel like I'm home ^^

Has this made you reconsider the hobby?
      Absolutely not, when I fall in love with something it is hard to get my mind off it. So I'm determined to get myself a dollzone Floy and that is final, whatever people may say or do against it.

Anything else?
      Not really, as long as no-one looks down on us non-doll owners I'm happy with my statements ;D

13. It's ok for me. If a person is interested or thinking of getting one and he joins DoA - great, you're welcome! :) The forum can give so much information about the subject that personally I don't know a better place where you could come and share thoughts about BJDs.

14. I have spent hours and hours on DoA doing research, but I don't own a BJD (yet).
      I probably have accumulated some shareable info on the hobby, but I don't think I could give credible advice with no physical experience.

15. I'm not a doll owner (yet <3) and everyone here has been extremely helpful. I wouldn't give advice though. I don't have a doll so I can't really help those who need advice. But I don't feel as though I don't belong. And I enjoy learning about and looking at these dolls so I don't feel as though I shouldn't be here since like everyone here I am interested in the hobby, the dolls, and the people that own them. :)

16. Non-owner speaking here. I haven't read 99% of this very long thread, so I hope I don't rehash too much.

1. doll owners and their view on non-BJD owners

General view and experiences on DoA/real life? / Do you feel like you're not part of the community, because you don't own a BJD? /
      Has this made you reconsider the hobby? Anything else?).My general view of the doll community is one of interest, but I also often feel like the outsider I am. In all honesty, I occasionally have to shake my head at some of the non-doll opinions here, but I end up doing that often in real life as well. I hope to not let my own views impact my view of the community, though I can't promise to be perfect. Sometimes I do feel like I'm not part of the community, because I seem to have very different experiences from the rest of you as well as not owning a doll. I haven't been in the community long enough to reconsider staying with the hobby, but from past experiences I have basically left a hobby because the community disgusted me, so I can't say I wouldn't do it.

How much do you think a person not owning a BJD can even know about them? /
      Do you think you shouldn't give advice to someone when you don't own a BJD? Certainly there are many things to learn about owning a BJD that doesn't actually involve having one. Sewing, photography, pastel painting, sculpture; the list goes on and on about things that are used in the hobby but are not exclusive to the hobby itself. It's good to see people who are experts (self-taught or otherwise) on these boards sharing their knowledge, even if they don't have a BJD. Great if they do, too. I'm thinking currently of the respirator post--that has a ton of information that I had no idea about, even though one of my other hobbies has many people ALSO working with resin and is as diverse as this one. As I mention below, I can give some kinds of advice as a non-BJD owner. I have many talents outside of this hobby, and if I can help someone in the hobby using them, I will. I wouldn't give advice on construction or modification or even making clothing of dolls, because I have no expertise in them. But, say, someone came up to me and asked how I felt about their backstory, I could definitely help out with that!

How do you feel about getting advice from a user who doesn't own a BJD?
      Assuming they (or I, seeing as how I am a part of this particular group) aren't total jerks about it, and can show where they're getting their knowledge, I don't care who gives me the information I seek.

Do you think that not taking non-owners seriously is a form of elitist thinking?
      Absolutely. Just because I don't own a doll, doesn't mean I'm not capable of offering good advice, or criticism. I can tell you (general you) when a head doesn't look good on a body, even if I can't tell you specifically what head would. As mentioned before, I also might have information that you need or want, and putting me down just because I haven't spent hundreds of bucks on a doll is not okay and is elitist.

Any meet-up experiences?
      Not yet. I don't even know if there are owners here...I suspect so, I've just never seen them.

This was a very useful exercise. Thanks for posting it OP! [​IMG]

17. I supposed i'm kinda biased, since i do not have a doll yet...
      Though, this is an expensive hobby, so it's probably a good idea to look around first, and forums are a great way to do so.

And if a person really does know their stuff, regardless whether they owned a doll or not, it's good to take their advice in mind.
      Of course, there's some stuff where hands-on would really help, but even then, people who had never gotten a doll can still contribute to some extent...

18. I don't think any less of non-BJD owners. Heck, I was there once too! Some people just appreciate the doll photography and art, and never really have the want or need to buy one. I think that is okay. Heck, we are all BJD-lovers here, whether we own them or not. :)

19. I've been interested in BJDs for a really long time, but it wasn't until a couple of months ago that I made my first purchase. I've spent a lot of time researching them, and I'm sure other people who don't own BJDs yet have done the same. I definitely wouldn't discount someone's advice, just because they didn't own one.

20. I think being involved in the hobby while you're thinking of getting a doll or waiting for your first doll is different than being involved with no intention of actually purchasing one. Are there people who want to be part of the hobby without owning a doll? Do they just enjoy pictures, videos, seeing what others do with their dolls? I don't really know if that kind of person exists. Does anyone TRULY just want to talk about them and not own one? I dunno. It's fine with me. My only problem with that is (and this is my opinion so please don't get offended).... My only issue would be with a situation like this where DOA is invitation only and stuff.Then I don't know if it's totally fair to the people who care enough about the hobby to scrimp and save for a doll and then they can't be part of the best info area because people who don't have dolls wanna talk about them, ya know?