1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

No-Buy, Low-Buy?

Aug 2, 2018

1. I’m curious, has anyone done a no-buy or low-buy on dolls for a certain period of time? Not from financial necessity (because obviously we don’t buy if we dont have the money to)...but more to concentrate their focus more on other things within the hobby besides acquisition and the hunt...or just to take a break from buying and focus only on creativity, styling, photography etc? If so, how did it go far you and how did you feel about buying in the hobby afterwards, did anything change?

Edit to broaden the topic: If you’ve never done a voluntary no-buy or low-buy for dolls, would you ever consider doing one in order to concentrate on working on your current collection?
      Would it be difficult?

#1 mimimontoya, Aug 2, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    2. Yes. I'm on a low/no buy currently because I have a bunch of half-finished dolls and projects lying around and have trouble focusing on finishing them. I decided no more dolls or windowshopping until everyone's appearance is complete; they must all have their final wig and eyes, one full outfit including shoes, and their final faceup.

It kills me to not windowshop (which I love doing anyway), but seeing the progress I've made in my existing collection (instead of expanding my problem by acquiring new dolls) is far more rewarding. :)

3. If I can make it, I don't buy it. And if I want it anyway, then I give myself some time to think about it. If it's still there after the time has gone by and I still want it just as badly, then I get it. But otherwise, my funds goes into the dolls themselves. This hobby is expensive to begin with, so if I can save money on a consistent low buy, then I will. And it makes me happy. Lol.

4. Most of my no-buy/low-buy situations arise out of financial necessity, but I do really find that it does jump-kick me into completing things I have been neglecting. :) Just recently I've got a few backlogged projects that I've started focusing on more heavily, largely as a way to distract myself from not being able to make new purchases. :XD:

I have a few dolls who are in need of things like permanent clothing items (replacements for really low-quality things that have broken, etc.), or a few final touches that they've been waiting for, or props I've been meaning to do.
      Some of my financial things mean that I actually need to have a no-buy period for those things too, since I'd need to buy the wigs/eyes/props/etc that they need, or spend the same (or possibly more) to get supplies to make them, so I tend to make a list of things I need to do or get, and review them for what I can accomplish with things I already have, and re-prioritize from time to time. :)

But it really does feel rewarding and cathartic to have an actually-complete doll. :) After I finish actually completing something, I know I can save all of my extra money to purchase something later, so that's pretty exciting too! :D

5. Yes, definitely. I'm in one now, not out of financial necessity per se (although I do like to curb my spending/save as much as possible/only buy things I'm sure I -really- want), but also because having too many projects on the go stresses me out (as does too much clutter in my house - I prefer my doll collection/possessions generally to be refined and streamlined). There are just so many beautiful dolls that it would be easy to go down the rabbit hole if I wasn't strict with myself!

Also, I got into BJDs as a focus for my art/crafting, so am planning to make most things for them myself. While splashing out on new things is always fun temporarily, I know that I will find having a smaller collection and putting more effort into them myself more rewarding in the long run.

I'm still window shopping, because I just can't resist looking - I have more willpower than I thought I would so far! Although I'm sure there'd be an exception to the rule if the right doll happened to crop up :D.

#5 Vanytie, Aug 2, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    6. Currently I'm trying to avoid buying dolls until I get the current group more finished. Everyone needs to have the right eyes and the right wig. And more of them need to have face-ups. I also don't buy anything I can make myself, so they have gradually expanding wardrobes.

7. I'm currently on a low buy, mostly because I have everything I want for now. If I see something I like that might change though.

8. Started off this year on low buy as I need to replace my dying laptop (delayed for 5 years because of bjds) and 2 more book shelves. Fell off the bandwagon after one of the shelves arrive to create the OT doll diorama(long awaited project). Tempted to buy replacement heads and more outfits and props for the existing crew on both scale...

#8 Shiniwa, Aug 2, 2018
      Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
    9. I go through periods, usually a couple of years at time, where I don't get anything doll-related. Then I'll see something that I absolutely need and will be back in action.

10. I'm in a constant Low-buy period now, since I don't have room and don't really want to accumulate a ton of dolls. I bought too many at the very start of being in the hobby, and now it's time to slow down. I still feel I'm pretty active in the hobby, I just avoid looking at the marketplace as much.

11. I've had to slow down a lot on buying dolls... Not so much for economic reasons so much as just flat-out being out of space for any more. My cabinets are full and I'm a "neat freak". I refuse to let the gang take over more than their allotted amount of space...

12. I haven't purchased any bjd since 2010, when I got my last one as a Christmas present to myself. I simply have no interest in acquiring anymore, I do occasionally think it would be cool to own a few more floating heads but I remember then and there that I don't do anything with the ones I already own. So at this point it would just be a true waste of money to add anymore. If I ever find a body proportionate enough for my taste, I might get my grail doll a body, but otherwise I have zero interest in adding any more complete BJD to my collection. I never intended to own more than ten of them (complete dolls), I own less than that so I'm pretty proud that I didn't go over my initial plans.

13. Now that I have two main OCs home, the two I really wanted, I don't 'need' anymore. There'll always be that niggling 'wanting' for others that I see by happenstance, while browsing for clothes and accessories on sites like Alice's Collections. I've always stated that I want the whole main crew from one story, in an ideal situation, but I'm not actively seeking sculpts for the other characters. I say 'ideally' because it'd result in... 5/6 dolls in all. One, I don't have the space right now. Two, nor do I have the money. Plus, I'm far too inactive in the hobby to justify 6 dolls sitting around gathering dust and feeling neglected for half the year.

14. Now that I have my newest boy the urge to grab a new doll is satisfied. I have characters I'd like to shell but that's up to funds.

15. I’ve been on a doll buying pause for a while now because our doll cabinet is as full as it can reasonably get while still displaying everyone nicely, and I feel overwhelmed when dolls spill out into the rest of the house. (One of my cats loves to try and chew on them or knock them over, so it’s just stressful all around.) Because of that, I really have to think about whether I want to buy another doll, because it generally means they’re replacing someone who will have to leave. It’s such a pain to move things on the marketplace these days I have to reeeeaaaaally want it.

16. I've decided to stop buying dolls for the time being, not so much to focus on other elements of the hobby but instead to focus on whether I'm actually happy with the number of dolls I have. I've found that it's too easy to get excited about a new sculpt and let that distract me from the dolls I already own - in 2011 I bought a doll every month! It was overkill, and thinking about it I regret that I didn't wait 2/3rds of those out. And even though it's been years since doing that, it still has an impact on my overall collection and on my attitude towards the way I collect.

I do still look at new releases, but I'm not letting myself buy anything for at least another year (or until I have a better idea of how satisfied I am with the dolls I currently have).

17. Mostly leaning toward No-buy for the coming year, but will keep an eye open for strict low-buy conditions to occur. Mostly because trying to handle the real life plan of acquiring a new car. That, and I have four current projects that need to be started and completed before I'll tackle the rest of my wishlist insanity.

18. I've been relatively low-buy for the majority of the time I've been into this hobby. It's out of both financial need and preference. I simply can't afford to order dolls frequently or run constant layaways, and impulse buys are not even an option for the most part since you can't impulsively spend what isn't there to be spent. But beyond that constraint, I actually prefer to do things in a more frugal way, in the hobby and in general life too, which is why I tend to prefer to buy secondhand, and why many of my dolls are hybrids made with less-expensive bodies. As well, I don't really want to have an enormous and ever-growing collection; I prefer to have my core group that I just continue to develop and improve. Another reason I just overall prefer to be low-buy is that my main enjoyment comes from styling and crafting for my dolls, and I actually don't like the buying process very much at all. I find it kind of stressy and tedious, and I don't really like the feeling of always having something I'm waiting for.

19. I'm on somewhat of a low-buy, I guess? I limit myself to 13 dolls at any given moment, so if I reach that number, I don't buy anymore without selling first. Between finances and my inability to enjoy a large collection, I think that just kind of keeps me at low-buying most of the time. I also can't stand having unfinished dolls, so finishing one before buying another is priority.

20. I’m planning to be on no-buy for dolls for the rest of the year at least. Two years if I can help it. My conscience cant handle any more big spending!! :sweat All of my dolls are pretty much incomplete so I’d like to spend more time working on them. Hazuki’s eyes/wig and Kasumi’s face-up are calling to me! :abambi:

Honestly its kinda tough because all I wanna do is figure out how to shell my last OC :lol: At least I managed to hold out until the end of company summer sales! After I get her it’ll be much easier to stick to a no-buy on dolls.