1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Nostalgia for the first dolly crushes & reshelling back to the original

Apr 2, 2024

1. Hi everyone <3

I was wondering how many people experience something similar:

you get into the hobby, you buy a doll or just drool over it for some time, looking up its pics online. Meanwhile you get into other dolls, there are some new releases, you have new dolly crushes... but no matter how many dolls you have played with, owned, longed for, placed on your wishlist, etc., you are still getting back to the good old days and the first crushes :)

Mine is Migidoll Jina boy from the time when everyone had a Migidoll, preferably with an emo fur wig and some feminine touch to the already female head mold, e.g., bracelets or colourful faceups. Mine was a goth boy... witha fur wig, of course. I have tried several reshelling the character since, including a very recent attempt, where the doll looked technically even prettier... only to get back to Jina (which is in the mail right now).

Over the past couple years, I've been looking up the "migijina" tag on sales, admired my crappy old photos, and otherwise thought about the first doll that I truly loved and found perfect upon its arrival. I'm glad it's going to be mine again, it makes my crew really... complete :)

Do you also have such a crush?

Did you actually get to own it and then sold?

If so, have you reshelled your character back to it?

or... have you chosen not to rebuy the head/doll? Why not?

What makes this head/doll so special for you?

Feel free to share stories and pictures (then/now/mid versions) <3

2. Jina is such a good head to fall in love with! I'm excited for you to get another!

The love of my life is Migidoll Ryu. I do own him! I tried to sell him once and was luckily unsuccessful. If I had, I would have almost definitely bought another to replace him. I love the sculpt so much. He has the perfect expression and I love the way his lips are sculpted. He's the most perfect boy I've ever seen! Thank you Migi ;u;

3. Do you also have such a crush? Yes! The Resinsoul Wu was one for me.
      I did! It was my second or third doll, actually.

I wound up selling him and regretting it. So I reshelled him into a Wu with coffee skin, and he's never looked better, tbh.

I think it's because his face didn't look overtly childlike like most MSDs did back in the early 2010s. That coupled with his body made him look more like a teen, which is the age I originally picked for his character. And overall, I don't know, there's just something perfect about it. The mouth, eyes, and nose all separately look good on dolls, but together they make for a rather unique sculpt. Also, did you know the sculpt has very slight nasolabial folds that are especially prominent when the face is blank? I feel like with the right painting and mods you could make an older character with the Wu sculpt, too! It's just a really versatile sculpt. I love it!

4. That's such an interesting topic ! I cannot really answer on that with BJDs because I only had a couple as a doll collector, but I completely understand this feeling that has also something of nostalgia in my opinion. It kinda brings you to the past and your first projects as a doll collector, and even when moving forward with other projects, this doll always stays in your mind, maybe like a grail doll somehow, depending on each person's perspective

5. Do you also have such a crush?
      My first doll crush was a Soom Gluino Alchemist Vampire. He is what drew me into the hobby. He became my elusive holy grail.

I did not get to own the doll when I first saw it. Soom had not rereleased it. I gave up on ever getting it.

I did buy a doll that I fixed up one similar to it. It was a Doll Leaves Ash. But the doll took on he's own personality.

or... have you chosen not to rebuy the head/doll? Why not?
      I chose to buy it. I was able to get the doll when Soom Rereleased him last year.

He is breathtaking! Everything about this doll is a work of art to me. I have my holy grail now. It is a wonderful feeling.

6. I'm kind of lucky that despite hoarding almost all other kinds of dolls and toys of all kinds, I never felt that way about BJD (I never felt like hoarding them). I always, from the very earlier days of discovering these dolls, knew I didn't want too many of them.

That meant a relatively small number I would allow myself to ever own. And due to the much higher price tag than everything else I do hoard, I was able to keep my BJD collection well under my limit number and thusly I never sold any of my dolls. Even after the million years after my first purchase, I wasn't tempted by many dolls of this kinds! (:

I still own the first BJD I fell for, a long discontinued Soul Doll Paris, and my actual 1st BJD purchase, that wasn't love at first sight, but I do love the sculpt and doll. As well as the rest of the resin dolls that followed. I'm un/lucky that I seem to have weird taste in resin dolls, and rather not sell/re-buy any toy I own. Otherwise, I wouldn't be able to bring any of them back! They were mostly all discontinued because they didn't sell well, so finding any in the first place would be a pain, then I am a huge germophobe. DX

7. @nyaaain oh migi team <3

@Lutopienne thanks <3

@Enzyme I've read many of your posts and I always wonder the same thing: how do you manage not to get tempted over the years, considering there are so many new releases? I envy you that you have managed to buy such cool dolls that they have stayed with you, but as an ex-revolving door owner, I can only marvel at that :D Would you like to share if you ever experience temptations?

8. I have been tempted by a few different head sculpts, but I got pickier about body proportions over the years. I never loved BJD body proportions. I am also a fan of smaller dolls in general, so it wasn't hard for me to never give into temptation and I actually stopped purchasing BJD over a decade ago. I only keep up with news, in case some dolls/head- sculpts I already own get re-released. Otherwise, I am certain I will never buy resin BJD ever again, as I am also not a fan of resin. These dolls are all beautiful, I am just picky about proportions, size and not a fan of resin. I can definitely understand why others would want to get them all! (:

9. I did this this year; in 2007 I owned a Musedoll Ciel who I deeply loved, she was a beautiful doll and exactly as stunning as Musedoll always photographed them. I ended up selling her to cover some bills, and just never really got over her. I searched here on the marketplace about once every two or three months and then in December I found her on sale for an absolute STEAL. My birthday is in January and my parents sent an unsually large gift, so I treated myself to Ciel. She's back with me and just as beautiful as I remembered!

[​IMG]

10. Wow! I can see why you never got over her! She’s so pretty! :D:D:D

11. Do you also have such a crush? Luckily, I was able to get my crush (Bimong Narae 412) early on my dolly adventure, on my local community second-hand market, and even if I really love my other dolls too, I think that is the only doll I've ever felt that way towards. I think it's the only one I could never part with even if I had to sell all the others.
      I've owned for years now and I will never sell it. I have changed the character (and the body) that I've built into that doll several times now, but the head sculpt stays the same.
      What makes this head/doll so special for you? I've asked myself this question before, but the answer I think it's simple. A smile. For years, I've been a very insecure / pessimistic / sad person, but when I saw her smile, something suddenly made sense to me. I've gone through a lot of things but, in the 11 years that she's been in my life, I have always been able to look at her smile and know that she was smiling for me, that I had brought her to life and that I could keep creating and doing things that made me happy.

12. The love of my dolly life is Twigling ingenue. In 2015 I bought a pale tan ingenue head and sold her. In 2016-17 I was a part of twigling’s preorder, but dropped out because of how long it was taking. Then in 2020 I sad-bought an ingenue who would become the love of my life, shrike. I now own 5 ingenues with 1 new one on preorder. I’ve sold an additional 2 ingenues and 1 head.

13. Do you also have such a crush?
      My original dolly crush was/is a Crobidoll Lance! I'd liked other dolls before him, but he was the one I kept going back to pining after over the years.

I purchased his head a couple of years ago and currently have a body incoming for him. I sold his previous body, but I don't think I will ever sell his head. He's my dream boy.

I'm not sure, actually! I can't explain what makes him so much more appealing to me than any other boy doll out there. I think he's got the right blend of nostalgia and traits that were popular in the doll hobby in 2012 that he just tickles my fancy.

14. I have owned and then sold a Fairyland Pukpuki Cupid a couple times now. I just need to give in and keep this one.

15. I have a couple of interesting "first crush" cases.

The first is Volks SD Anais/Tae. I adored this head sculpt as a newbie, but the SD-sized girl was limited edition and out of my price range back then. However, Volks made a MSD version of this girl, F-06 on their full choice system, so she was more affordable and easier to find. I bought MSD F-06 secondhand, and she was the second BJD I ever bought. Of all my newbie dolls she was the one I most loved and enjoyed. I sold her because I fell out of love with the MSD doll size.
      I have no desire to buy SD Anais anymore. I have the financial means now, but she sells very quickly secondhand, and I'm not interested in the grail/rare chase. But if she was more available, I still wouldn't do it. I had her in mini version, enjoyed her, and sold her -- my time with this sculpt is over. Maybe if I'd bought SD Anais in the first place, I may have kept her because I much prefer SD size over MSD size. I won't ever find out now, but I'm contented with that and have moved on.

The second in Migidoll Miho. He was my favourite Migidoll sculpt as a newbie, but I never got around to buying him before I went on a very long hiatus away from the hobby. When I came back from the hobby, I still liked him, and I saw Mihos pop up secondhand. But even though I stared at the sales listing a lot, I couldn't bring myself to open the wallet. After a while, I concluded that, like with Anais, my time to own Miho had passed. If I bought him before I went on hiatus, maybe he would've been a keeper. But my tastes have changed - I'm no longer interested in owning him. I'm quite happy to enjoy the many Mihos out there in owner pics.

On the other hand, I have two "first crushes" that I bought and kept. Crobidoll Lance and Dollstown Mui were the first girl (because I've only ever seen a girl in Lance) and boy BJD I fell in love with, AND made a strong effort to buy both. Of the 8 dolls I bought as a newbie, I sold all (including MSD F-06) except these two. Maybe it's survivor bias, but to this day I look at my Lance and Mui and find that I'm still crazy, madly in love with them, and I can't imagine ever selling them. They're the dolls in my avatar ^^

So for me, "my time to own this sculpt has passed" is real. If I had a crush on a doll but didn't buy them, it wasn't meant to be. I remember those first crushes fondly, but I'm contented to just enjoy owner pics now. I have new dolls to love.

16. @aihre @Thespian omg my long time crush was Lance too :D I did get mine once, but it wasn't what I expected, yet the faceup was too beautiful, so I resold him... I know the new owner loved him, so I wasn't sad :)

@Yami_Hanako I began to like smiling doll after some time too, they bring in so much peacefulness <3

17. I wanted a Dollmore Mettaa since I got my first Dollmore doll back in 2010 and saw him in the promo pictures. I had a idea to shell a character with that sculpt but wasn't able to afford a second doll.
      Over a decade later, I got a Mettaa head in one of their head blind boxes. My idea for the particular character I wanted him to be has changed a lot, but I still want to do something similar with him.

18. For me it’s Doll in Mind Larina. I never owned her, only admired photos. I love that she is a little unusual. Her features are just a bit oversized in a cartoonish way. I still think she is really pretty! Maybe one day I will pick one up second-hand.

19. Yes! I bought my first dolly crush this past autumn- a Luts Dark Elf Soo. They don't come up on the market often, it seems, even though they were so popular back in the day. I think nobody wanted to sell theirs precisely because the sculpt was so beloved, and the Minifee version has very different facial proportions. But I trawled IG for ten days- fastest I've ever found a WTB! -and one popped up. Now she's home, 16 years after I first fell for her. For a long time I never thought it would happen, since my tastes evolved and changed- but damn if that bug-eyed lady doesn't still have a hold on me!

20. I've been thinking about this answer because I was never invested enough in the early hobby to have "classic" doll crushes! I was scared off early by a very elitist collector and spent years yearning for a KDF Bory because that was the most basic doll I vibed to. But then I was browsing Alice's Collections (as one does) and went to Impldoll and spotted Tony ... and he was the first doll who looked enough like a grown person that I could unabashedly say "yes, he is crushworthy". So now I have him and love him and will likely never sell him as Impldoll discontinued their classic Idol men (including my second crush, Joshua). So I do have my first doll "crush" and since he's not very popular and now gone from the website he'll likely become more nostalgic with time.