1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Not Wanting a Doll?

Mar 29, 2012

1. I think telling someone who likes to photograph dolls that bobobie/resinsoul is a cheaper alternative isn't at all a solution. There are so many different doll aesthetics out there- what if they love volks aesthetics but don't want to or can't save up for one? What if they enjoy something vastly different like iplehouse aesthetics and want to photograph that? Or what if they want to photograph the glamorous doll that have a lot of money poured into them and it shows?

I think the best compromise was stated earlier, and you seem to already be leaning in that direction which is: photograph other people's dolls at meet-ups. I love to photograph my dolls, but I'm under no delusion that I'm good at it. I just enjoy it. However, I'd be thrilled if someone with the photographing skills wants to photograph my dolls. At doll meets, there are many people with better skills and cameras than I, and I'm always more than happy for them to take pictures. In fact, I'm thrilled, because they do so much more justice than I can.

The great thing about meet-ups, too, is that there IS a wide variety of aeshetics, so if you like shooting soom dolls, you can find owners of soom dolls. If you like volks, find the volks owners. so on and so forth. Or you may just find certain dolls that capture your attention due to their customization. Who knows.

^_^ The main thing is for you to enjoy it. You can still be in the hobby without owning a doll, I believe. And hey, who knows, you may find the perfect doll for you while you photograph- you may find one whose angles you love and sculpt you adore, a doll you wouldn't mind putting some money into because you know you will photograph them a lot!

2. It can be a solution. It sounds like this OP cares a lot more for the artistic aspect of photography, not the doll itself. So purchasing a cheaper doll as a model could very well work if they aren't as invested in a very specific doll aesthetic, but rather just want to experiment with using that doll for their photos, in which case the the style of the doll may not matter quite as significantly.

3. Well, I've heard the Monster High Dolls are getting pretty big in the community. You can even do some minor mod work on them (like re-painting) and they definitely don't break the bank. I can't remember if they're jointed but I'm pretty sure they are.

4. Personally, I'm not sure Dollmeets are the best solution in this case. It's highly possible (most definitely) that meets are different in other areas, and levels of photography being what they are, decent shots can be had at meets. But they are largely not the best places for actual shoots. It's mostly snapshots from whatever angle is possible where the dolls are sitting/standing/lounging. Displays are not uncommon, and if the owners of the dolls aren't really comfortable with other people handling them, even if it's to get good photos, they can't really be moved to get a desired shot. Basically, it's unlikely to get much, if any creative freedom at a dollmeet, unless it's been arranged ahead of time.

Plus, there's no styling involved. It's a total crapshoot...you have no idea what dolls will be there, and what they'll be wearing. The lighting could be terrible. Meets in my area are very sociable...people running around all talking at once - there's little time or room for that matter for a lot photography.

Again, I realized that all meets are not the same, but it's something to think about.

That's not even touching on the subject of people who's dolls are just extensions of their characters. I don't like pictures of my dolls posted anywhere on the internet - regardless of who took the photo - simply because they represent the characters in my art and writings that I post myself. I like to know where they are and what they're doing. I realize it's a little control-freakish...but I am probably not the only one who feels this way....it's already been mentioned that some owners don't want their dolls photographed out of character. All of this limits the creativity of the photographer and they end up being similar to the portrait taker at walmart. Set the cute baby on the backdrop and click. It's not the worst thing in the world.... but photography is very much an art. There's so many options that will be unavailable to you if you're only taking pictures of other people's dolls. If you're ok with doing simple portraits of their dolls as they want them done, that's great, but if you want more down the road....getting your doll might be a better option. Even if, as has been mentioned, it's less expensive or even off topic like Monster High (good suggestion CCKitty) or some other doll...customizable or not.

I don't mean this to be a downer...I'm not saying you'll never find someone who lets you do whatever you want with their dolls, there are plenty of people around who would. I'm also not trying to say YOU MUST OWN A DOLL, because the hobby is different for everyone out there. I can only speak for myself, and I don't enjoy photographing other owners dolls nearly as much as my own. The freedom and possibilities are so much greater, I don't worry about damaging my own dolls nearly as much as I would someone else's, and I can say what I want through the customizing and photographing of them in a way that would impossible otherwise.

Boy this post got much longer than I meant it too :sweat *hops off soapbox*
      Whatever you decide, good luck!

5. Well, it can be depending on the person- like you said, if they don't care about the aesthetic. But OP never said whether or not they didn't- at least, not that I saw, maybe I overlooked something. A lot of photographers have certain types of models they like to photograph and others they avoid- I don't see how dolls would be any different which is why I didn't agree with the suggestions of a cheaper doll being an obvious solution- I didn't actually mean it couldn't be one, and that's how I should have phrased it. Sorry. I realized I worded it poorly upon re-reading my comment.

6. I know people with like two dolls same size and from same company so they share clothes and such. But she is one of the best photographers I know and she doesn't just take pics of her two girls but of her cats, friends, flowers and more. So if it's the photographing you love, then take pics of other stuff or go to maybe local meet ups and just take pics. No reason you can't.

7. Well, I have to have the dolls myself. BUT, I can certainly understand not wanting 'em to some degree.

They are expensive and take up space. When I was starting out I definitely didn't mind playing with other people's dolls when they let me. And it's fun to take photos of other dolls without going out and spending on them all myself.

It's possible to take photos of other people's dolls at meetups. Most people are pretty cool with it. I definitely don't mind people wanting to take photos of my dolls or pose them how they wish, etc. And I've let my dolls be used for photoshoots by a friend for a magazine. No problem.h

I also like just hanging out at DoA, looking at the great photos shot by people here and just looking at various companies for dolls and clothes. I also LOVE the contests the DoA runs and all the games members are running. There's a lot of creativity out there and it's fun to look at... and not all of it requires that you own the actual dolls.

I kinds wish I could get away with not buying so much myself, so, hey, if that's what works for someone, then more power to you, I think! :D

8. I really love how this thread is going :)
      Every suggestion has really made me think. I haven't been to a doll meet since, like, 2008 so I think I should give it another try. I used to dislike them because I was always the youngest (8th grade at the time) but now that I'm older and the crowd has probably changed, it's worth going back. Especially with a new mindset.

I never really thought about cheaper alternatives, honestly. I should probably do that, haha. But I've had my eye on an AiL Elijah since before I got out of the hobby so I find myself comparing dolls to that one. While reading over this thread I think I came up with a good alternative: lurk on the market place as well as find cheaper molds and make a decision sometime during the summer to either indulge and get the Elijah or go with a cheaper doll if I find one I like as much. There's also the issue of saving up; I do have a job but seeing as I'm a high school student, it doesn't leave me many hours to work so my pay isn't nearly enough to support a BJD hobby. I'll definitely be saving up until I decide on what I want to do...I need to really think about it because I'll be in college next year and that definitely is a huge factor.

I've seen Monster High dolls popping up on Tumblr more frequently. All the awesome mods I'm seeing makes me really interested. I'm glad more people are recommending them. They're significantly cheaper, like you all have said, so I think it'd be a great compromise.

@Molliebean Message me; I'd love to try and meet up!

9. Maybe you can just get yourself one attractive cheap doll to satisfy your photography cravings.

10. I'm on the other end, for me learning to use the cameras and finding the right lens is rough and I'm awful at dressing up my crew. It would be fun to get together with people and have one brings the dolls, another can style while another takes the photos.

11. I know what you mean, actually it's what has happened to me, sort of. I've got into BJD in 2007, when I bought my first and only doll. I was very happy with him (a DZ Yuu) at first, but I've started to lose interest in him gradually, until he ended up stored in his box. Now I've decided to sell him, and one of the reasons of doing so is 'cos perhaps I'll buy another doll. Although I've begun to search for sculpts and such, and I'm pretty excited about it, I'm also a bit wary of getting tired of her too ^^U I do like BJDs, but sometimes I'm not sure if I'm a BJD person or not ^^U

12. Ah, so glad I'm not the only one, sandalwood! I was beginning to think so. It's interesting to see someone who basically went through the same progression I did.

13. Going to a doll meet would be the best way to figure out if you really want to spend any money again.

If the cheaper dolls don't strike your fancy, why not pick up a used doll? That would be what I would do, and so many doll owners take great care of their dolls, it wouldn't be too different from getting it brand new.

I bought my doll used. It was the best and is the best option for me at the moment.