1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Obssession over props and in-scale objects.

Dec 29, 2009

1. I love props, and I have several odd things in scale that I've found at second-hand shops. I even plan on making a large doll house for my SD sized boys, and I am currently working on an 1/3 scale bar. I also love when someone takes the time to create sets for their dolls, and I wish more people did it.

My dolls are based off rp characters, so part of the fun of having them is creating the world that they live in. I know I will have to make alot of stuff, but that's part of the fun too.

2. I'm a whore for props. They have to be in scale though or I don't want them. Though I do have a couple of items that are out of scale because I could not find them in the right scale. I have a miniature canon camera that would work great with an SD, but I have a Super Gem, so it's a little out of scale...annoying.

3. I prefer dolls in a doll-scaled world, so it shouldn't be much of a surprise when I say that out-of-scale objects irritate me. I mean, hypothetically, here you have a perfect stool and a perfect table and then you have this bottle that is so small the doll could pick it up with two fingers, along with a cup that is twice the size of its head. Obviously the entire scene now makes no sense and unless you do some kind of close-up shot, it is all I can do to stop myself from laughing at the absurdness of it all.

On the other hand, if someone wants to portray their doll as a doll in a human-scale world, then I have no problem with your doll being the same height as your computer monitor. None at all. So I guess it's all relative.

4. I try to be accurate in scale with clothing items, especially if I'm making them, but I have little interest in props and accessories. I guess I feel frivolous enough just having the dolls, so I try not to overdo it. I'm happy if I have a doll with good wig/eyes/outfit/shoes.

As far as gallery postings go, it's great when they're high quality, and good effort is shown. I don't obsess about the props in and of themselves, though...

Raven

5. I'm definately prop obsessed!! I'm pretty "scale correct" too. : )

6. I think that the 'little dolls, big world' idea is absurdly cute in photostories etc. That being said, I like in-scale props. I am the choosiest about my doll's clothing in regards to scale; huge buttons, zippers and the like drive me bananas. I know getting findings in scale can be a stone bitch, but the finished result is completely worth the time and effort it takes to find the 'right' thing.

tl, dr; Small-doll big-world photostories = cute, take time and get the 'right' accessory/finding for your handmade projects.

7. I constantly can't find perfectly scaled items and it drives me insane. I refuse to take serious pictures or photostories that have lots of out of scale things. It's my dream to have perfect rooms for each doll (mine are all SD) so that I can do photoshoots and stories without having to be bugged by human sized intrusions.
      I am seriously impressed by displays and people that have so many great props for their dolls like Mus'eeNoir...

8. I can't say that I'm obsessed with props...lol..I just happen to have had lots and lots of mini things to start with.....

I've always had dolls (all my life) they always had to have gizmos and gadgets to go with them...I could never just "play" dolls without the whole gamut! I used to make in-scale objects out of Plasticine for them (food items etc)... My dollies had to have places to "live" with furniture etc....

When I finally discovered ABJD's a whole new world of props happened for me....these very special dolls needed in-scale objects for photo shoots! I started hunting and gathering....so much fun....I have three little "rooms" that I use for photo shoots, I change them around from time to time! I just love making sets for my dollies!

I do love all my little props, I can't say I'm finished finding them...lol... No matter where I travel, I always seem to find mini things for these dollies!...:fangirl:

xen :)

9. Not much of one for props here really..my dolls live in a "human world" as well..dolls..with their own personalities and such yes but still part of our world. ^_^ So human sized stuff is what they get unless I find something correctly sized for them.

A big issue when dealing with my little pokemon trainer is finding pokemon toys and such that are the right scale..right now..I have almost nothing and most of them are too big or too small.. ^^: So we just make do..one has to believe pokemon sizes might vary a bit here and there..right?

10. I like a few people it seems, don't really mind. I can understand that it is difficult. xD But I think that it really depends on what sort of story you're trying to do. I'll find it very hard to believe a serious conversation if the dolls are sat on a sofa that would be the comparison of us being sat on a sofa the size of a ceiling to floor wardrobe. But if it's a doll in a human world sort of thing, then that's fine. And if you're able to get enough things to make a doll world, then you deserve an applause. xD

Although stupidly out of size zippers look weird to me too, I've seen a few people things like that too. But they are the more obscure and unusual sort of items, so you'd have to keep that in mind if you were to do it, if you ask me.

11. I absolutely love having objects that are in scale for my dolls, from furnitore to accessories, even if they're so difficult to find. I am even building a sci-gi/steampunk room for my dolls to live in that is is in theme with the characters.
      Small size differences don't bother me as long as the object doesn't looks weird compared to the doll.
      I wouldn't buy one item just because it is in scale trought, it has to be something my dolls would actually use- something that is related to their "world". For example, no ancient looking objects if the characters are sci-fi style and such.

12. I like in-scale objects, but I am not very picky; it doesn't absolutely have to fit a certain ratio in terms of scale. I just want it to look decent. I am not obsessed with collecting props because I have a hard time finding any that suit my doll. She's a little kid--I need miniature toys, not cigarettes, computers, classic literature, etc. Also, because she's an MSD that is a child, I like to get non-toy items in SD size, to emphasize that she isn't full-grown.

13. I absolutely love in scale props. It is fun to constantly be on the lookout for them too. I think it's one of the really fun parts of the hobby. I absolutely love StephG's setups (this one and numerous others in the series). Right now I'm putting together a miniature potions lab for my Snape.
      On the other hand, many many fantastic and artistic shoots take place in entirely natural outdoor settings or with no discernible setting at all.

14. I get palpitations when I see realistic-looking things in scale, seriously. The problem is that my guy is an 80cm godzilla, and very few things suit him, so I am learning to discriminate. Otherwise I'd jump on anything small, even though it has nothing to do with the character (like a ridiculously adorable set of kitchen utensils he's never going to need). It was worse when I just got him, but I think it's getting better.

15. Now, I'm completely different from most of the people in this thread. My doll settings are like collages...works of art set in a fantasy world where everything tells a story and scale isn't nearly as important as color, theme and texture. For my dolls, it's like living in a surreal fairytale (think Alice in Wonderland) where some things are in scale and others are deliberately oversized, and everything in between. Yet it all fits together within a specific theme like a work of art they can live in. And in keeping with this idea, my dolls are deliberately all different sizes as well...portraying the "diversity" found in an inner city neighborhood in an exaggerated fantasy way.

16. Pfft! I'm having too much fun with them to be hard lined. I have some stuff in scale in one shot and the next shot is a doll climbing onto my bed. Like rishimsin, my dolls live in the human world and occasionally have to work out how to overcome human scale obstacles. *shrug* Boys just wanna have fun!

17. Very few of my dolls need props. And it took me a while to get the guns for John Murdock, but now that I have them, I think we're set.

18. I take far fewer photos of my dolls than I would otherwise, because of the fact that they exist as characters within a world of their own, and I do not currently have the room/resources to set up the to-scale sets I would need to properly portray that world.

19. Small daggers and swords... I needs them for my characters. -.-

20. I love in-scale props - but my story is set in a fantasy Victorian world, and a lot of the in-scale items are modern day or medieval, so I have to be very picky. Even so I am getting quite the set up together - I'm to the point where I have to rotate which furniture and props I keep out because I have too many...