1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Obssession over props and in-scale objects.

Dec 29, 2009

1. I'm obsessed with dollie-size props too. But I'm picky about scale and I also think if the thing would go in style. E.g. I wouldn't buy any country style stuff, rather hi-tech one because it would suit more my dolls characters.

2. Well in my case I don't need to worry about 'in-scale and out of scale', why? I don't buy them I make them, even if it's crappy it'll do. The most expensive thing I even got for my dolls is the sofa which was like...100 bucks? Pretty much I don't like props cause I hardly take photos...good ones anyway.

EDIT: The eraser food is cheap and is so much easier to get that...pfft...REMENT. Yes, Rement is realistic but unrealistically expensive, what else can people get to be in scale besides Erasers? I'd like you to answer that...

3. I found that I bought more props for my dolls before I had them. And some of them aren't really in scale, but I do think that I will still use them because I can't justify having bought them otherwise.

For inscale food items, yes ReMENT is expensive, but it tends to look better than most things. If you are concerned about price, you can buy polymer clay and make your own food.

4. Omg, I am so guilty of this. I'm always detouring through likely looking shops in the hopes of finding new scale stuff. My housemates and I held a party with the dolls complete with real balloons we found at the correct scale and hand made tiny cakes and foods =3

I don't draw a line because I wont settle for anything that isn't the correct scale for my doll. I don't go crazy buying stuff, I'm very careful about what I buy. ^^

5. Some ideas for doll-scale props to make/buy:
      - I cover old food canisters (coffee, nuts, coco, etc) for quick stools and risers for display. When painted or covered with fabric, wallpaper, etc., they look great, IMHO.
      - With a little practice, polymer clay makes great doll-size food, etc.
      - Hobby Lobby - I find doll-sized chairs there all the time. Also, animals and decorative motorcycles in various sizes for my dolls to ride (I have 1/6, 1/4 and 1/3, usually somebody will ride whatever I bring home!).
      - Scrapbook papers are a great source for wallpaper if you're into making rooms for your dolls.
      - Troll your local Ben Franklin and other such stores after Xmas for half-price (or less) ornaments that are in perfect scale to dolls. I've gotten some cool champagne bottles and beer mugs this way. Use your imagination and you'll find lots of possibilities.

This is a fun thread. Happy prop-hunting!

6. Due to a strict policy in my collection of the 'standard' height being 65 cm - 70 cm, I have a bugger of a time locating in-scale props. Everything in the universe is made for MSDs and there's a goodly lot made for 58 - 62 cm resin people. But 70 cm props are not easily gotten. So it keeps my props collection under control.

In addition, I'm very into realism and historical context, so I don't buy much plastic. Food erasers just don't cut it. And neither do tiny, perfect, but completely inappropriate laptops and cell phones.

The things I HAVE found though.... are absolutely fantastic. Hina Ningyo accoutrements, hand-detailed enamelwork, turned brass and historically accurate ceramics. I get a LOT of real antiques, and usually quite inexpensively. I tend to pick over ebay once a week, and find the most random miniatures, usually made as one-offs by some artisan. There's no particular scale and no particular reason it was made, often the objects are for tourism or local tradition. Most of what I find is not useful for my dolls and their character's purposes, so I pass things over. I only buy things I know their characters would use, or that would be appropriate for the imaginary location in which they all 'live'. I find the perfect thing once every 3 months or so. And keep a shortlist of things I know I definately want to have for the dolls someday, allowing me to focus even more. The search is actually really rewarding. :lol: I also make things I absolutely cannot find in scale, like working paintbrushes and such. Maybe that's silly but it controls my spending AND keeps my mind occupied. You have to worry about these things when you're getting older. :)

7. I think my custom title states my opinion on this subject. ^_^; My 1/6 dolls have enough stuff to start their own apartment.

Personally, I feel like the more things for your dolls to interact with, the better. ^_^ It makes for more interesting and eye-appealing photoshoots, if nothing else! If you have room for them, there's no such thing as 'too much!' I think it is important that things are the right scale if you're going to use them, though. That in itself puts something of a cap on the things that I buy.

8. I didn't care too much at first when I bought my first Yo-Sd sized doll, but when I got my Pukipuki I realized that my old childhood dollhouse and all it's furniture is perfectly puki sized :D I'm now obsessing over finding out if the rest of my little doll props in the house (and the house itself) are to scale enough that the pictures look natural. Its honestly a lot of fun ^_^

9. ah, my favorite thing...props! Guess that is why I am in the business of selling doll furniture, dollhouses. etc:)

I myself love different sized props if it fits the scene, or moment. For instance, I have a 1:4 scale doll playing with a tiny 1:24 scale miniature cabinet. It is adorable with tiny furniture in her hand, as if she is playing dollhouse.

The hardest thing I have ever tried to find for dolls that are SD sized is dishes- and appropriate sized foods. Even more confusing is scale can change doll to doll- for instance, what might work for an American Girl doll (18 inches) would not work for an MSD sized doll?? Another reason I like playing with scales is alot depends on age and size of the doll- for instance, my MSD is probably a young girl, about 11 or 12 years old, so putting her in a larger chair would be believeable, especially if she was sitting with an SD who was her sister or mom. I have too many props to count, and I collect like crazy....

10. I admit to being a sucker for props. I'm considering buying one of those $99 katana letter openers that was linked to in the Interesting Finds thread for her L5R outfit.

11. I would get a lot of props, if I find them cute. I like the eraser food. :D Speaking of which, my friend just got some for her doll, but they're not flat, they look like cakes and such.

12. Yeah I'm pretty obssessed with props, I've got tons from my other doll collection, never mind the ones I have from my American girl doll. But I won't buy it unless it looks good size wise by my doll and it doesn't look tacky. As crazed as I am I won't buy something just because it's tiny and might work with my doll. Currently I'm working on finding a bed, sofa and maybe table and chairs for my Lily. >.> Maybe I am going a bit too far...

13. Personally I've found several things that I find in scale with other people's dolls, and usually pick them up unmarked/unpainted ETC to perhaps work on and make available for sale for other people.

I honestly do find some things that are just too cute to pass up, even if they're not in scale with my dolls, I usually realize this later... But even so, the things are adorable :3 I collect things like that every so often, but I've never had a problem with spending too much, or getting too much that I don't have room for it.

Usually I'd make props if I really needed them. I've done enough of that <3

I don't mind out of scale things with dolls, sometimes they can look cute. I try to be open about everything.

14. I browse thrift stores and the like but never really seek out props. I very rarely pay much for them if I get them, so it's okay if they aren't perfectly sized, though I am pretty picky to keep my collection down.
      If I get stuff that is well detailed and fairly nice I see if anyone else can use it first before boxing it up and donating it or giving it away.

15. I actually didn't even think about getting props or anything of the sort until after my mom bought me this miniature backpack that had japanese erasers in it. It was SO cute, especially one of them was a birthday cake! And really perfect size! So I started thinking over things to make her prop wise or what I could get. I even thought about stopping by Michael's and taking a look at all the doll things they have. But I fear that I'll end up getting something that I won't use or need at all. So I have to seriously think about it or else have my one friend come with me and make sure I don't get something that won't be of any use to me. XD But yes, I'm becoming obsessed with miniature props and such.

16. I'm obcessed for sure, hah! Josslyn's all proped out, the harp was really all I wanted for her and my husband got her a chair. My littlefee, Peyton/Edgar on the other hand....that boy's got so many little toys: a Buzz Lightyear, a teddy, a tiny motorcycle, alpha blocks, micro cars, a tea set complete with biscuts to share with Josslyn, a chair...*_* The worst prop to find was a firetruck; nowhere had any! The one I finally found would have to be *huge* if he was a real boy. Then I spotted an RC fire engine for a child that matched the scale of the tiny truck so...win? I'll just pretend his is an RC truck, too. XD My next goal is finding a scooter, a toybox, and/or making a bed. My Mom wants me to find him an instrument so he can stop looking all sad next to Josslyn, too. XD

17. I don't have my doll yet, however I have already gone looking around in alot of shops hunting for in-scale props... only to decide that I will come back with my boy to make sure they really fit him.
      Yes, I'm a perfectionist... and it doesn't stop with doll props.

18. For me i can admit i am extremely picky about in scale items. I do box rooms ALOT and if something doesn't fit in the room i usually find another use for it or resell it/give it away.

When looking at photo galleries, i try and pay more attention to the talent of the photographer and beauty of the doll. More often then not i ignore the props in the environment.
      What works for some does not work for all. Maybe it's purpose is SUPPOSED to be that way. maybe it's supposed to be a super sized/mini toy. Without being inside the owners head, there is no way to tell if it's intentional or not without possibly offending someone.
      If something bothers me enough, i either compliment what i like or say nothing at all.

as for when enough is enough? i doubt that'll ever actually happen to me ^^".
      I don't tend to buy things i know i won't use or like, such as when i was making a crib for my 1/6 dolls baby. I searched everywhere for a crib but all i found were barbie things. I knew i'd hate them and even though they were alot cheaper then making my own in the end i still did so.
      I'm not as tempted by some things as others, as i don't like feeling as though i've wasted money.

The point of when enough is enough, or should be. Is when you have boxes of things you never look at, or likely don't even remember exist anymore.

19. When I went to Japan I became obsessed with doll sized props because they were so easy to find!

I came back with tennis racquets, shaved ice, drinks, fans, violins and guitars XD

Admittedly I find the guitar slightly small ^^;

20. I am always looking for nice furniture for the doll! I want something nice for her to rest on :) But I don't care much about photostories to be honest so I don't really need fake doll food, etc because I think its a tad frivolous!