1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

One expensive or few cheaper?

May 24, 2017

1. I think quality is always better than quantity, even for BJDs.
      It's not a good thing to buy severals cheaper dolls if in the same time you're looking for an exprensive one but you like it more.

2. For me it's definetly one expensive. Well, if price = quality. If you can, it's nice to look out for quality instead of quantity.

3. The one you like more. But: shop around first. Know what you like in your doll, see what else there is that fits that description, weigh your options. This might not work in the case of especially unique or limited dolls, but generally you can find a fair number of dolls with any given set of features. I was dead set on a Luts doll earlier this week, but after looking around, I found a doll that was very similar, had the main selling point I wanted (a particularly mischievous smirk) but was 100$ cheaper, and in the end was a better deal, since I could take advantage of summer events, etc, that actually benefited me. That way, I could put that money to other things, and I got more for this doll too. Will he be better than the Luts? Who knows. I'll compare him to my other Luts when he gets here, but I suspect that I made the right decision.

And in the end, the idea that price is quality isn't necessarily true. I'd rather get a doll that fits my budget and my goals, than one that fits my goals and someone else's idea of quality.

4. Answer: pick the one you want.

It is a nice question - especially because people will link price to quality. But in the case of BJD's that is not relevant, because the cheaper ones are not of a lesser quality. The most expensive dolls are not generally the best ones around (plenty of stories about bad posing, marbeling, horrible seamlines, snowflakes in the resin and other problems). In the end the doll you will have in your hands is only as pretty as what you can make of her/him, regardless what you pay for it to start with. Unless you get the fullset. But most people tend to get the blank doll or head. So all the pretty pictures the expensive companies make to sell their product to you? What use are they?

My advice is to go for the doll you realy want and look at the price later. And look at the blank sculpts instead of the painted and dressed dolls (unless you want to buy the fullset). If you buy the dolls you do not realy want, you are likely to sell them later on - usually at a 25 - 30% loss regardless of how expensive or "cheap" the doll was when you bought it.

#44 Cyador, Jun 25, 2017
      Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    5. Well, If you are having doubts about the doll, is it worthy to buy her, wait for her for quite a time and then sell her, because she´s not fitting your idea? Go for the doll you really really want, ecuse, if you buy something you don´t like, you will not be happy. :)

6. Oh wow!!! So jealous! My dream doll is blue jay! And you have 3 popovy's lucky lucky lucky!!! :)

7. Preach! Preach! Preach! Very well said and explained. ;) :) :)

8. IMHO you also get what you pay for for the most part. Having an engineer spending months on your doll to make sure it poses well and is beautiful and natural is expensive and their time is worth my money to me! I could maybe buy a cheap body that's close enough, but it might not be exactly what I want, i'm going to lose money trying to sell it. That being said, if the cheap doll is perfect, that's what I'm gunna get. Basically, price should be the last consideration. Saving up sucks, but it's totally possible.

9. I have such a large wishlist I always end up buying the cheaper dolls because for that one Angel Studio doll I want I bought two tinies and all their stuff with money to spare for another inexpensive doll on my list. Now if that expensive doll was the only one on my list I would probably save to get them but as long as I have other less expensive dolls, I seem to keep buying them first.

10. @TatsuKitty

I wouldn't count on expensive = better poser/better engineered/better quality.

My first Dollstown body (18yrs) was pretty rough. Love the aesthetic/sculpting (except the baby hands and feet), but that doll had Pullip-level seam lines (a mm or so high and very sharp) on a white skin doll so no sanding excuse. The knees would not allow the doll to stand.

Dollstown has since attempted to fix the knee issue, and I've heard that at least for the 18 yrs girl that the new knees work.

I've since ordered a second body (17yrs boy) and it posed great with no seam lines right out of the box. However, the lack of seam lines may be because I paid extra for honey skin.

So I'm not sure more expensive always means a better doll or better quality.

My Impldoll (considered a cheaper company) Idol (he's an FGB TGB hybrid) male is by far my best poser, and personally his head is one of my favorite sculpts.

Similarly, I've found Resinsoul jointed hands (and feet; all I own from them), and a Flower & Junior head to be beautifully sculpted and well-made

I don't mean to jump on you for advocating for more expensive dolls--there's nothing wrong with buying an expensive doll (or at least nothing anyone has any business judging you for), but using expense as a proxy for "better quality/better sculpted/better posing" isn't always the best plan.

Expense doesn't substitute for research. All companies and all sculpts have their kinks (Dollstown's knee issue is pretty well-known), and it's usually a matter of hunting down a couple owners to ask or company/body/sculpt reviews.

Perhaps buying the cheaper doll is sometimes disappointing (if you're that sort of collector), but buying an expensive doll that's disappointing, particularly in quality, isn't great either.

#50 americanseamstress, Jun 27, 2017
      Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
    11. I went with more cheap dolls at the beginning so I could have one of each type (anime, fantasy, realistic, etc.) However now that I have them, I have satisfied a "team" mentality. So now I can save up for the more expensive dolls that I've fallen in love with, which are only three.

12. Quality over quantity--always!
      From my experience, you will get much more fulfillment (and in my case--less anxiety) when you focus on those dolls you really love as opposed to having more dolls.
      Summed up....less is more! The cost of faceups, clothes, wigs, eyes, etc. for more dolls racks up the cost anyways.
      But of course its up to you! Everyone is different, so do what feels right to you. In the end its your doll collection, so do what makes you happy!

13. Go for quality over quantity if there's one you really want, you'll be a lot happier that way in the long run!

14. I'm in the quality over quantity camp. I think it's more important you get the doll you love, regardless of price, than to just settle for something "cheaper" just because you want more (unless you just need a project doll or something in which case it make sense to go with the cheaper one in you're going to be doing lots of practice works/modifications on it/etc). I have bought some expensive doll because I simply love them (although my wallet didn't) and I have also bought some cheaper dolls because they were cheap and on promotion. I did like their sculpts as well but I might probably not have gotten them if they weren't on sale. To be fair, there are a few cheaper dolls I had that I did end up loving but there have also been one or two I hardly played with and sometimes felt like selling. Personally I rather buy to keep the dolls than to end up having to sell them later because I couldn't bond with them or something. That would never happened with the dolls I bought because I love them in the first place. So I think it's really important to get something that you can adore, keep around and enjoy for a long, long time than to get something cheaper then regret not getting the one you like better later. (Though seriously it's a big bonus if the dolls you love were reasonably priced as well LOL.)

15. actually I'm kinda picky because of the expensive prices too tbh :'D
      even when I found my "soulmate", I'll rethink again like judging the set or the face up and re-consider many times :')
      but if I found the one that I really want to keep, then I will buy it even it would cost a lot of money :')

16. If you love that one doll much more than the others go for it. If you don't you will always regret not getting the one you wanted most. What point is there to having more dolls if you do not like them as much. Follow your heart!

17. Go with the one u love the most Quality over Quantity right? You would also have to pay more for outfits and stuff to! Plus you said u though the big one was perfect so get him you may wind up not liking the small dolls

18. When it comes to BJDs, I've bought what I love, even if that means saving a bit longer to get it. I know personally I wouldn't have been as happy if I picked something different just to save money, and would still be pining after the other doll I truly wanted. On the other hand, someone may not feel comfortable paying over a certain amount for a doll, or may feel like they cannot fully enjoy it if the cost was more than what they had wanted to spend. (Almost) everyone has limits and priorities when it comes to life and hobbies. I believe it's really about buying what you love and enjoy while still being comfortable with what you paid :)

19. When I first got in the hobby I would've said get the few cheaper... but now I say get the one you want most regardless of price. If you can afford the doll get it!

My taste has grown more expensive then I thought I'd ever be willing to pay! Do what will make you happy!

20. The one that you want, or none at all.

Dolls have no function aside from their looks so the right sculpt is of paramount importance; it's not like, say, buying a car - I could choose the cheaper uglier slower car but still trust it to serve its function of transporting me. If I choose what I myself define as the less appealing doll, it's already failed its sole function of looking beautiful so what's the point?

That said, of course there are still ceilings to what I can reasonably consider based on financial circumstances. There are some art dolls that I admire very much but are thousands of dollars outside my price range. Even so, in those cases I don't look for a similar-but-not substitute. It's still all or nothing for me. It's just that in some cases I have to accept the nothing, haha.