1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

ONLY buying Male & ONLY buying Female Dolls

Jun 9, 2010

1. I have come to understand that people play favourite when buying dolls when it comes to company... sculpt... and even gender. SO I have a few questions

Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll?

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you?

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)?

March 1st 2011

June 9th 2010

2. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? Yes, I like only male bjd dolls

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll? No, never.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you? I think so. I don't know why but I'm not attracted by
      female dolls (except when it comes to Blythe or Pullip )
      Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)?
      Maybe, I really don't know for sure...

3. Ok let's see now. My answers are as follows:

Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? At the moment yes. The main reason is that I am turning all my pre-existing characters into dolls and the majority of them are male. The other reason which is as important if not more important, I don't often find female dolls asthetically pleasing. Something about the way their bodies look just doesn't appeal to me for the most part. Male dolls are just more appealing in both character and looks.However, I DO have plans for at least 1 possibly a few more female dolls. But they will most likely be child/Tiny's. Like I say in general female dolls bodies just somehow don't appeal to me.

I will/am considering it and I have finally found one or two female dolls that actually appeal to me enough to want to buy them. But for the most part it'll likely be a long time before I actually buy a female doll that is not a tiny.

*points upwards* Basically yes. I've always been a tom boy, love to look at the male form in both art and real life and have always found I relate much better to males than I do females. So male dolls are something that appeals to me more than any female doll ever will.

Yup, would totally do this. I don't much care whether the doll's head is intended to be male or female, if it looks the way I find appealing and fits my character then I'll gladly use it whatever it's original gender. I go by what I find beautiful, not by what the sculpter/company thinks the doll should be.

Hmm I think that's everything and yeah basically that's my opinion and my reasoning for doing what I do. XD

4. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

I started out with just boys, as they were what initially attracted my to bjds, and I was worried that I wouldn't be able to bond with a girl doll. After a time, I decided I wanted to give girls a try. Now the population is split almost evenly (there's still a few more boys than girls, though).

NA

I often buy dolls for characters, so the appeal comes from my feelings towards the character coupled with how well the sculpt works. Therefor, it doesn't really matter that much. However, I have found myself buying more girls than guys lately.

Absolutely! Many heads work well for either gender, and this gives you more sculpts to choose from.

5. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I prefer male dolls. I own 7 male dolls and only 1 female and she is a child.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll? I do own a single female doll, but I have no intention of ever buying another. I have had three others in the past, all have been sold. I just don't like them. Amaryllis gets to stay because she is an important character and one of the few female characters I have been able to bond with.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you? I guess so. I find male dolls more attractive in general though there are some really lovely female sculpts out there. What convinces me to buy a doll though is if that doll fits a character I have in mind. Most of my characters are male, I am more connected with my male characters and more likely to want them in doll form.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)? I would if it suited the character I had in mind. I really like the Zaoll girls modded to boys that I've seen. One of the few female dolls I ever owned was a male doll head on a female body. Still couldn't bond though.

6. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      No, i have girls and boys here ^ w ^ but i do personally prefer males over females.

In some ways yes in some ways no. It depends on the size, i personally am not attracted to 60cm girls or 42cm boys as much as 60cm boys and 42cm girls. Maybe thats just because i like the image of a smaller girl with a taller guy, or a taller guy with another taller guy,lol, more than a taller girl next to a smaller boy. All in all, i DO prefer males rather than females. Does that mean that i hate SD girls and MSD boys and will never get either one? No. Absolutely not. i just dont have any characters or storylines calling for a taller girl or a shorter boy. yet.
      Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)? Already have ^ ^ i have a Dreaming Lishe Boy and a lishe boy here with me :)

7. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I only have female dolls. I like girly clothes and wigs, and don't see the point of buying a boy doll just to put it in frilly dresses and pigtails, so... girls.

Also I like the female form. It's purdy.

Sure, if there was a boy doll I liked and there was something I wanted to do with it.

Sort of not really? If a doll has a look I like I like it either way, but the ones I tend to like are pretty girly...

I've done it before and I'd do it again. Actually my newest doll is a standard boy sculpt I put on a girl body -- Syo is a pretty androgynous head and he makes a very pretty girl. XD I've also had a DOT Camine girl and a Bluefairy Jerome girl, and I've seriously considered a Volks Kanata girl...

8. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      no. out of the dolls that i will have by the end of this month. two out of 7 are girls. both are children. i just don't like the mature females. i like males better

yes

yes. i like feminine looking males, so if i thought that a female head would look good as a male, then i would put it on a male body

9. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I only have boys at home. Particularly because I dislike most girls sculpts and the bodies.

It depends very much. If I fall in love with it, sure why not?

Certainly. For exemple, only owning boys doesn't mean I can't make girls clothes, and it gives the whole thing the ~crossdressing~ aura, I don't think I'd feel the same to make a girl wear boy's clothes.

I plan to. But else is a hi-mi-tsu~

10. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Yes, I only buy female dolls. Not only do i find the female form and faces more appealing, they are an extension of me (I'm a girl, harrharr) and I have yet to discover the part of me that can be portrayed as a man.

Like I said, I don;t plan to, but maybe I'll find a part of me that can be a male doll.

The female shape is just more interesting to me.

I have thought about this, and I do see many dolls that changed sex, but I haven't found a male mold yet that made me want to turn it into a girl.

11. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I used to exclusively buy male dolls. Mostly it was because I just never liked girl sculpts enough to own them. And I really do like male fashion. There were a few I liked that were limited but... yeah not enough to want to dish out all the cash, haha. I have one now though and one incoming, girls that I really do like.

Nope I don't think so. I like molds for what they are. I just find it typical that I have a lot of boy dolls because most of my characters are male.

I have one, he's probably my favorite doll. 8) A Volks Amelia made to be a man. I tried with an Olivia too and I would get him back, maybe one day. Dia's another, but hey there's Sard. I now have difficulty seeing Amelia as a female (not so much Olivia), so yeah I guess in his case (and Dia's), I found the sculpt to look more like the opposite gender. And I just plain liked the molds. 8)b

12. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      No. The characters I'm filling are both. Even without a plan, I can't imagine buying only one gender.

N/A

No. I prefer girls in real life, but this seems to have no sway over the gender of the dolls I'm drawn to.

Definitely. If it fits what I'm looking for, I see no issue.

13. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

I only get girls. I am so far making dolls of my various characters, and they are almost all female.

I am considering buying a male doll as the companion character for one of my female dolls, but he's not a huge priority as he's basically just an expensive accessory for her =/

In general I prefer females--I think women are gorgeous and love the female form. Men? Not so much... I find the male form boring, and male fashion boring, and BJD male fashion to be completely over the top emo/anime (not my style at all.)

Since I find so many males in the BJD universe to be bishie/femmy, I have no problem using their "beautiful" heads on a curvaceous boobalicious body :D

14. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?

Yep, only boys. And as for the why of it, well - it sounds very simplistic, but I'm a girl. I have two sisters. I've grown up with women's bodies. Heck, I own one. ;) The male form is both very foreign and very exciting to me for that reason. (Not to mention that the male form is just beautiful in its own right.)

I actually seriously considered Soom Breccia for a second - I found her concept quite appealing. In the end, though, the boys won the day. I'd like to say that I could keep an open mind and consider it if a female doll really blew me away, but I think it's probably not going to happen.

Hell, yeah!

Yes, absolutely. There is a male Elfdoll Vivian on the forum that is simply exquisite... And I have yet to see a Soom girl that didn't make an excellent boy. If the right mold came along, I'd definitely jump on the gender-bender wagon.

15. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? I buy mainly female dolls because I'm more interested in female characters and I find more female dolls appealing than male dolls. If I do see a boy I like, I generally put him at the back of the queue because there are many more girls I like better.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll? I have considered it & I currently have one boy. I bought him because he is pretty much the perfect boy doll for me.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you? Yes in a way. I prefer the shape of feminine bodies, I find them easier to find clothes for, easier to dress, easier to pose...and generally I prefer girls to boys.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)? Probably. I have thought about buying an SDC Kurt head, repainting it as a girl and putting it on an SDC girl body, so I can have two froggy dolls, but I probably wouldn't buy a girl head and paint her up as a boy.

16. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Yes, because I find the anatomy of the female gender better than the male. Its more attractive to me and I can dress her up as myself or even crossdress her;D

Maybe, if I liked the sculpt enough or if it jumped out at me

Of course. Same as when I draw, I only like to draw females because they arent as angular as men. Plus I think the female bodies fit better into boys clothes than the other way I around, if I ever do find a boys outfit I likeXD

No. That would be just freakyXDXD

17. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      I mostly buy girls. I have 1 boy and I will probably have at least 1 more before my collection is complete, but I have 3 girls and plans for many more. I was surprised to find this, as I expected to end up with a mostly male collection! But I think right now I have a lot of female characters in my head. Not all of them are "feminine," per se, but they are girls and women. Also, I mainly play with my dolls by designing knit clothes for them, and I find a lot of inspiration in women's fashion. Men's fashion is great...if you can sew your dude a dapper suit! But for knitting, soft sweaters, cute knee socks, etc. are easier to design for girls.

I try not to set limits for my collection. As I said, I have one boy already and there may be more in the future if I see male sculpts that suggest characters I want to bring home.

Surprisingly, no. There are a tonne of male dolls I love to look at, and I adore the male dolls my friends have. I really enjoy photoshoots featuring guys, and all styles, from manly EIDs to femmy MNFs. I just...don't want to bring them home, except for a visit. ;)

Who wouldn't? Actually, the second guy I have in mind was supposed to be a Soom Dia man, although it looks like that plan may have to be scrapped if Soom discontinues Dia with their other standard sculpts. I like male sculpts as female dolls too, MNF Shiwoo girls being one of my favourites, although I don't have plans to bring any home myself.

18. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you? Well I actually haven't bought any BJDs as of yet though I do have other dolls that are female. I would buy a male doll though.

If you do, would you consider ever buying the opposite gender of doll? Yes, I would buy a male doll.

Does the sex of a doll make them more appealing to you? Well I love the way dresses flow and I usually feel like female clothes are simply more fun. So for my first doll I will definitely get a female. But I certainly wouldn't rule out a buying a male doll.

Would you ever buy a head of the opposite sex to use on the doll (maybe because it looks like the opposite gender)? I probably would! I think that would be rather fun. I also think that BJDs are so beautiful females and males can definitely be switched for the other. If I think that a male face would work better as a female or a male would work better on a female body I would switch them.

19. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      My collection is relatively even between males and females, with slightly more girls. I like to have variety, having just the one gender would bore me I think. I love strong characters, so I like to have a mix of strong girls and boys.

Not necessarily. I'm usually attracted to the scuplt first, I'm rarely looking specifically for a doll of a certain gender.

I have a few male heads which I've turned into females, and interestingly enough they tend to be softer and girlier than the female sculpts I have. XD My OE Heliot I had to mod to have a less square jawline, but even my R Heliot (which remained a boy) is often mistaken for a girl from even doll owners, so it seems to be just a more feminine sculpt.

20. Do you only buy one sex of doll? Why do/don't you?
      Ive bought both male and female dolls in the past. I currently own all female dolls. There is no specific reason to why I have all female dolls at the moment. More or less they are the specific sculpt that I fell in love with.

I have both considered and purchased male dolls in the past. I may perhaps purchase a male doll in the future, but currently my doll family is complete. (And I've run out of funds.)

No. Not at all.

Yes. I have considered doing this.