1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions of dolls based off of celebrities?

Sep 15, 2017

1. I would like to have one with Natalie Dormer, in GOT she looks like a doll <3

2. I have a Uriel by Granado, and I suppose it depends on how you look at him. In the promo pics he really looked like Sebastian Stan, but it doesn’t seem as strong in person.

But then I just thought it was a beautiful sculpt, I’m not even that big of a Sebastian Stan fan.

3. I wish if I could find an artist who’s would be willing to make be a Britney Spears doll my god I’d be so so happy. I have few dolls and love them but I’d love to have Britney bjd I read of barbie I use to have

4. To be honest, I find them cool! But then imagine someone made a doll of you... Would be kinda uhh. Creepy. xD

But, I also think it would be a bit difficult too! Like trying to find a sculpt of them that matches or is similar to the celebrity! Would be very difficult!

5. Yeah it can be creepy but at the same time magical I think

6. Idk how I feel about this. It seems kind of creepy, but then again there are action figures of actors... maybe it depends on how famous they are? I’d be uncomfortable if I knew someone had a doll of me...

7. Well, I think as an actor you simply have to get used to this phenomenon. I am sure there also people who do create fandolls which are neither action figures nor BJDs. There is a chance this may happen. I think it is kind of similar to drawing the face of your favoured actor/character. Nothing bad, just nourishing your inner geek (which I do all the time).

8. I personally find celebrity dolls VERY creepy, even when companies like Mattel do it for movies and stuff. I think the creep factor almost doubles for those bjd heads made to resemble popular fangirl heartthrobs like Tom Hiddleston, Benedict Cumberbatch and the supernatural guys... Not sure what it is about them, but I feel a shiver down my spine every time I see them on Etsy. X'D

Having said that, I think a doll based off a celebrity like Bowie that is more iconic could work, because he has such a distinct style that you can make the doll resemble/pay homage to him without going eerily realistic.

9. I personally find the super realistic, minimee-style heads kind of unethical? Particularly for the living celebrities. They have a right to their likeness and to control how it's used. However, I don't think having a head that's more doll-like or loosely based on their features is bad. My favorite doll that I own was based on Natalie Portman, but she's very stylized. You can see the resemblance, but it's not as explicit as some of the others.

Aside from that, I love seeing fan dolls! I think it's fun to try to find BJD sculpts that capture the essence of a person.

10. I can understand the licensing thing. So the IOS Dr. Strange (or Hot Toys type action figure) with its licensing agreements and such is more ethical to you?

11. I think if there's a licensing agreement in place, it's absolutely fine! And even without it, it's mostly a grey area to me. I personally wouldn't commission or buy an unlicensed celebrity sculpt, but I don't have any hard feelings for those who do.