1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Other People's "Playing" or "Attachment" or lack thereof - Does It Bother You?

Mar 21, 2010

1. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

- Buy or make really nice clothing for the doll (i.e. best you can afford)?
      No because everyone's tastes are different/Dolls dress to a certain time period and not every fine doll clothing company produces these kind of clothes.

- Invest in a professional faceup for the doll, rather than a properly done (i.e. no magic markers, not awful) but kind of amateurish one?
      My Soom dolls all have their factory faceups. But that's because they are limiteds. I want them to have that certain face. My other normally produced dolls I prefer custom faceups, yes. I cringe and shiver when I see magic marker faceups...art supplies are cheap and you can buy most stuff at a walmart & art store, if thats not an option theres tons of free faceup commissioners here.. But I guess if the owner wants a magic marker doll, it's okay because it's their doll.

- Interact or "play" with the doll somehow - by hugging it, making up stories about it, talking to it, taking it to meets, photographing it regularly, etc.?
      Some people wish to interact, Some wish to display them. I carry my dolls and photograph them often,. They are on display sometimes, other times I am taking photos. No one has to do any of this though its completely optional.

2) What about people who buy the doll and then just leave it in its box (where it is safe from any physical harm) and look at it once in a while? Do you think that constitutes a valid "enjoyment" of the doll?
      If you enjoy seeing the doll every so often then it's fine. I keep my dolls out because their boxes are huge and my room is fairly small and overrun by several pieces of furniture. I used to put my shoyo in the box and take her out every so often, but after awhile I found it a hassle.

3) Do your answers change if it's a limited doll?
      My Soom dolls sit on my shelf in between my minis. I keep them just as safe as my other dolls, so no.

4) Do your answers change if it's a fullset doll that comes with everything, so there's no need to customize, buy clothes, or get a faceup and wig for the doll?
      Some of my sooms are the fullsets. Just because I don't have a need/want to customize them like my other dolls doesn't change anything.

4) Do your answers change if it's a lot of dolls? For purposes of the question, let's assume that "a lot" of dolls means approximately 10 dolls or more.
      I'll be having ten dolls at home soon. Probably more because my best friend would rather her dolls be safe at my home away from her little brothers. So once again no, my answers do not change.

2. Hmm, I remember one of my comments being misinterpreted as the first POV recently, I think in the abuse/mistreatment thread. I can see why some people get upset when they see some LE they wanted being unappreciated or dressed in a way they don't approve of or whatever. Still, I think it's odd to feel posessive in some way over dolls you dont own.

1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

"Should" and "obligated" aren't terms that can be applied to consumer goods like dolls. It's just a non-issue for me.

See above.

- Invest in a professional faceup for the doll, rather than a properly done (i.e. no magic markers, not awful) but kind of amateurish one?
      See above.

- Interact or "play" with the doll somehow - by hugging it, making up stories about it, talking to it, taking it to meets, photographing it regularly, etc.?

See above.

2) What about people who buy the doll and then just leave it in its box (where it is safe from any physical harm) and look at it once in a while? Do you think that constitutes a valid "enjoyment" of the doll?
      Of course. It's your money, if you like to buy dolls to run over with a steamroller, that's your call too!

No.

4) Do your answers change if it's a fullset doll that comes with everything, so there's no need to customize, buy clothes, or get a faceup and wig for the doll?
      No.

4) Do your answers change if it's a lot of dolls? For purposes of the question, let's assume that "a lot" of dolls means approximately 10 dolls or more.
      No. not even if it's 10 of the same limited being take out of circulation. OK if you stand there cackling and waving them in the face of someone who wanted them while you give them shaprie faceups or chuck them under the steamroller you're probably a bit twisted but that's still your call.

3. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

I personally don't care what other owners do to their dolls so long as it is not harming any of mine, but while browsing I will admit I don't like seeing ugly dolls, much the same way I do not like seeing bad fanart. I see dolls as beautiful art objects, not as play toys. I know I would never be satisfied with a doll with a poor faceup and home made clothes. I have a doll some of my friends have never seen because I find her faceup lacking and refuse to take her out of her box until she is fixed. My puzzlement over how someone could enjoy a poorly painted, badly clothed, and possibly dirty or broken doll really shouldn't have any effect over the owner of that doll.

Yes, it does. I am one of those owners. My dolls are kept securely stored in their boxes, faceups wrapped and protected, and I only ever take them out of their boxes for short amounts of time to either photograph them or take one to a gathering. I can go weeks without looking at any of them, and it's enough for me to know that I own them. I do enjoy photographing them, but it often requires time or energy I don't have and that is fine. Keeping them in their box does not impede my enjoyment of owning them.

No, I treat all of my dolls the same, and I have limiteds and standards.

No, I'm fine with breaking apart fullsets and wiping LE faceups. I've done it myself.

I own 11 dolls, and I don't think the number changes anything at all.

4. Great thread idea, bunnydots! I'd noticed the same thing, and it made me wonder some of the same things.

I am, admittedly, the absolute queen of double standards. With a single exception, there's only one thing that bugs me when other people do it in that it makes me sad, I do think: "it's yours, do what you want". The rest is the standards I keep for myself, so what I'm describing isn't so much what bugs me when other people do it, or if it bugs me, it's more a simple matter of, "Well, I wouldn't do it that way," but I care roughly as much about it as I care when someone eats something I don't have a taste for myself -- not a heck of a lot.

1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

Clothing, yes. How I define 'best' is not a matter of price or skill, however, but by what's most appropriate for that doll. This could be a $500 OOAK gown made of silk and lace, or it could be a $10 tee shirt and $5 stretch pants and be barefoot and be entirely appropriate for what the owner envisioned for the doll, and I don't see anything wrong with either in any way.

I don't think there's any real requirement for professional faceups. I have a planned doll I'll be sending out to be done eventually, and others that sit with my amateur faceups because I want to learn to improve my skills at them, and trying to describe what I want might be as hard as actually doing it. If someone doesn't practice, they're not going to get better. I'd rather see a doll with a so-so faceup that someone is practicing on while they develop their talents than a flawless one they're afraid to ever touch. (Because, then, what happens if something happens to it? If you've done it yourself, you will best know how to -- and likely have the supplies to -- repair or rework it yourself.)

I have dolls that sit naked at the moment on the 'to be finished' shelf, waiting for clothes and faceups because the doll was limited, and I could get the doll before I could afford or make the outfit, or purchase eyes or arrange for a faceup, etc. -- so there's another issue here that seems worth mention to me: time. I end up with a lot of limited sculpts, so it's 'buy it while you can' and the nekkid shelf starts gaining members because time remains in short supply. For me personally, it gets done when it gets done and I don't find anything wrong with that unless it's going out of the house.

I don't think a doll is 'presentation ready' until it at least has clothing, a face, eyes, and hair. They can be temporary and imperfect for the character or what-have-you, but I wouldn't personally bring a doll out in public naked, unpainted, eyeless, and bald and say 'this is a finished product' unless someone asked me to because they wanted to see the sculpt. (I'd have no problem with this if asked, and actually enjoy seeing dolls like this, ironically, because it helps me visualize the sculpt better.)

I have no issue with what people do or do not do in this regard to both questions. For the most part, my crew sits on their shelves beside the bed, some in boxes if they're waiting to be done up to help keep them safely dustless, and that's more than enough for me. They get changed when I feel like it, eyes swapped around, wigs swapped around, reposed, but I see them every morning when I wake and every night when I go to sleep, and that begins and ends every day with happy, beautiful things. I can't think of a better use for them with what limited time I have.

Limited or limited fullset, no -- but I think of limited and one-of-a-kind/one-off/OOAK dolls differently than I think of limiteds, and I have a special place in my heart for OOAK dolls. To me, personally, an OOAK doll is something more 'special' than a limited; it is, in my mind, a 'finished work' from the artist from whom one is purchasing the doll. Changing its hair or eyes or clothes is not an issue to me; these things can be changed back easily enough. If it has a one of a kind faceup, yes, I'd object to it being wiped; similarly I'd internally cringe if it was sold off for parts and could not be reassembled into the final form the artist who put it together and styled it because it would be a 'lost work' in that sense. Of course people do this, I don't hate them for it or think they're crazy; I just find it sad that the overall work as envisioned is, in a way, lost outside of pictures. In all seriousness, once something hits an edition of two, I stop caring entirely, even if both dolls are sold of for parts.

No, and I can't understand why it would. (Am curious to see why, especially since I've seen people claim anyone who has more than ten can't possibly treat their dolls right/etc.)

5. Interesting topic! I don't think I'll ever cease to be amazed by how opinionated some people seem to be about how others treat what is, when it comes down to it, a hunk of plastic. It's as if, because many of us (me included) invest time, attention and personal feelings into our own dolls, that somehow leads to a wierd empathy with other people's dolls, as if they were humans or animals rather than, as I said, hunks of plastic. My dolls are things I love dearly, - but, to me, other people's dolls are just expensive objects. I wouldn't break or "mistreat" them, in the same way that I wouldn't break or "mistreat" their iPod.

I think it's perfectly within my rights to laugh heartily behind my hand at a photoshoot of a doll that's wearing a bad face-up and a sock, and click the back button without leaving a comment; just as I think it's perfectly within their rights to post such a photoshoot.

I can't help but think it's a little silly if anyone seriously gets upset if they see a poorly faced-up doll ;)

6. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

I suppose that dressing a $400 doll like a played with dollar store knock-off Barbie wouldn't be ideal.
      However, as long as the doll is wearing clean clothes that look nice, then the cost of the clothes is no issue.
      And if the 'best you can afford' is a $30 outfit, then that's fine!

I've seen some faceups that are just awful.
      But I suppose the owner has to make that decision.
      If they can honestly look at their doll and say 'You look good', then it's alright.
      I do feel some people are in denile sometimes though.

Are you obligated to have a nice faceup? No.
      These dolls were made to be customised, and a faceup can always be removed.
      Although I would atleast expect for the propper materials to be used-so the doll doesn't get damaged.

I know there is alot of collectors out there who see their dolls as collectables, rather than a 'plaything'.
      And their dolls are only displayed and never really handled often, unless they are being cleaned.
      There is ofcourse people who do both though.
      I think that all of the people who take their dolls out, are the ones working on the character aspect of the doll.
      And I find that to be the most fun part of the hobby! :)

Do you have to? No.
      But with how real these dolls seem, it's very hard to not feel guilty sometimes.

That really depends on a lot of factors.
      Some people can only play with their doll on weekends, or other things like that.

I personally leave my dolls in the box so they are kept safe, and I really have no where else to keep them.
      I would love to have a proper place to display them one day though.

Can they still enjoy the doll? Yes and no.
      It depends on the person.

I suppose one could say that. But with any doll there is always going to be someone who could 'love' the doll more.
      As for the care of a limited- I would hope that people would be sure to keep it a little safer and handle it a little more carefully.

Not really, just as long as the doll is kept clean and out of harms way then it's fine.

I suppose that many dolls would be a bit hard to maintain.
      But I'm sure that someone who has 10 dolls is very seriouse about the hobby, and will treat them properly anyways.

Over all, as long as the doll it's self is kept clean, isn't thrown around or abused in anyway, then I'm okay with anything else the owner does.
      You don't have to treat the doll like a person, and you never have to give it attention.
      I just think that a lot of people these days don't take care of things.
      When my grandmother was younger, people cherrished what they had, and did their best to care for things.
      You don't see that as often anymore, especially in some of the younger generation.

7. This is the main reason why I am a pure 'collector' right now. I also work a lot and now I'm working on creating my own doll, I want to spend time on that too, otherwise I'll never finish it. The dolls just have to wait. That doesn't mean I don't love them (the thought of selling them makes me panic), but I have other priorities as well. Of course I do display them, but only when I'm home and I can make sure they don't get dusty or catch too much sunlight.

8. With respect to that, I think there's some perception among people who've made that comment that each doll should be getting a certain amount of "attention" and if you have a large number and some aren't getting "attention", it would be better to sell them because "you're not enjoying them anyway".

I've noticed that some doll owners do feel comfortable with weeding out the collection every now and then, just keeping the dolls they're spending a lot of time with or that appeal to them the most. Some of them seem to really enjoy the "housecleaning" or "uncluttering" aspect of that.

And in a lot of cases it's a matter of money - if you want this gorgeous new doll you just saw, or some nice clothes or accessories for your favorite doll, or something else unrelated to dolls like a new outfit for yourself, then maybe you need to let some of your lower-priority dolls go in order to fund your new purchases. It might even be a matter of space if you live in a small apartment.

But as long as I'm not feeling a drive to "unclutter" my doll collection, and I don't need to sell a doll to get money for something else, then I always get my hackles up at the "you're not enjoying it anyway" or "you never play with it, why not just sell it" comments. It sounds a lot like parents in childhood when they're deciding their kid has too many toys that he "never plays with" so let's give some away. In some cases there are indeed kids who have toys they don't like or don't play with and don't miss when they're gone. But there are also kids, and grownups (I'm one, my husband is one) who like to have things around without doing too much with them, still enjoying the fact that they're there. I pretty much knew from the minute I saw BJDs that this was going to be a multiple-doll scenario if I even bought Doll Number 1 because I tend to like having multiples of whatever I get into around - multiple cats, multiple teddy bears, multiple dolls. :)

From there you get into all kinds of issues as to whether someone who just has playthings around without actively "playing" with them "has a problem" or is "greedy" or is simply "hoarding" or "could do without" or "should share with others who'd actually play with the items and thus appreciate them". It all comes down to what sorts of attention or play people think is appropriate vs. inappropriate, which is the topic of this thread.

9. I'd love to know where that particular line of reasoning comes from, too. That whole "OMGYouHaveTooMany!!You'reNeglectingThemYouAwfulDollyAbuser!11one!"-thing gets old. >_<

With 76 of these resin monsters in the house, I have one of the more extensive collections on the board. (And, I should add before anyone starts whinging about how I can't possibly take care of them all properly, not one of my dolls has ever worn a sock or been resigned to a box. I dare anyone who's seen me playing with these guys to question how "attached" I am to them. XD) I can tell you with absolute certainty that maintaining a horde that size isn't half as difficult as people seem to think, even for those of us who are active with them and do the character/backstory-thing. It's just a matter of enjoing what you're doing and making good use of spare moments when-ever you find them.

Anyway...

I'm firmly in the "to each their own" camp...
      If an owner wants to dress their doll in a discarded tube sock and smear cheap pastels all over its face, that's their business. It's their property and they're completely within their rights to do so. Of couse, I'm also completely within MY rights to find the results unattractive, and the owner more than a little silly for not taking better care of their multi-hundred-dollar toys.

I'm one of those owners who figures if I'm going to spend THAT MUCH for a doll, I might as well go the extra mile and spring for the nice extras. In for a penny, in for a pound so to speak. What I don't expect is for everyone else to do the same. One look at the Gallery is enough to illustrate how unrealistic an expectation that would be.

Though I do play the "character game", I'm a collector rather than part of DoA's "my dolls have souls/are people/are my children/are my BFFs"-crowd, so I come at things from the perspective of dolls being objects rather than beings who require interaction. Given that, yes... I do think it's perfectly valid to leave them in their boxes if that's what you want to do. Collectors come in many flavors. Some of us are very hands-on and like to tinker with our collections. Other's are much more concerned about keeping things mint-in-box. Neither is BadWrongFun.

No. I like having my crew out where I can see them and handle them easily, Limiteds and all... But I can understand completely why another collector might prefer keeping their Limiteds packed away.

No. Part of the draw of buying a full-set is how the doll looks in its complete and original form. If someone wants to keep theirs that way forever, why would that be a problem?

5) Do your answers change if it's a lot of dolls? For purposes of the question, let's assume that "a lot" of dolls means approximately 10 dolls or more.

Again, no. To each their own, and all that... Some of us play, others of us prefer to be hands-off. There's nothing wrong with either approach.

#29 Brightfires, Mar 21, 2010
      Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    10. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

Wow, to answer this as honestly as possible, no, no I do not- and the reason behind that is: these are our possessions, no one has the right to say for instance, that if you have a nice car, you aren't allowed to let it get dirty, crack the mirrors, or leave it in your driveway without touching or driving it for years. It's a doll- at the end of the day, I feel it's not quite even that important in the more general schemes of life- for instance, I recently spent $30 to buy a cover for my Macbook, but I would flatly refuse to spend as much to buy Cass a new outfit- and I LOVE Cass to death, but in my world, I have to put aside fantasy and play and be an adult. That means (for me) not wasting money on things I don't need. That said, I didn't have to buy the dolls in the first place- I know that, but I did- because they themselves are the investment. Everything else is PURELY superfluous- at least for me. I happen to be one of those people who- in times of wanting something and not being able to afford or justify buying it- learns to make do. I wanted good faceups for my dolls, and I felt that I could justify buying the art supplies related since I paint and draw a bit anyway, so I taught myself to do them. I wanted nice clothes for my dolls and felt that buying them would be ridiculous considering the cost, but buying a sewing machine and learning to use it would be a highly valuable life skill, so I did. And that is that- I buy things that I need for my dolls extremely cheaply- and I don't care if people think that that's wrong- they look just as good as anyone else's dolls. Not to mention, I have a variety of new hobbies out of it.

I say let them do it, it's no different to leaving your doll on a shelf and just looking at it rather than handling it. If that is how you enjoy your dolls, then enjoy them that way! I personally have mine split between the bookshelf and my bed since my dorm room is highly lacking in space. My dolls get tossed around, tangled in blankets, wigs knocked off and even occasionally a faceup scratched- and it really doesn't bother me. Having them close is how I enjoy them- I can replace wigs and faceups. Thus, if someone else is the opposite, more power to you!

Not in the least. I personally wouldn't treat a limited doll any different to how I treat mine- I don't buy my dolls for their resale price.

Not at all. I actually even disagree with there 'being no need to customize'. To me, any doll that I buy absolutely MUST be customized to suit my tastes and the character I envision for it. I never buy my dolls with faceups because I always prefer to do them myself- a limited or fullset doll would be as subject to that as any other. I rarely even look at fullsets either, because they aren't what I would personally pick out for the doll's character.

Nope. I plan to have 30- counting my wishlist and everything I've got at home save for two floating heads. Again, these are possessions, so as many as you may have, there's no need to do anything in particular with them. If you just want to stare at them, or leave them all strewn about nekkid then that's what you want to do. I wouldn't do it- maybe most people wouldn't, but we're not you, and that's what matters.

11. Personally, I wish that some members people would make more of an effort to make their dolls look presentable if they're going to post pictures of them on the internet. Dolls don't have to look perfect and as spectacular as say, those of MadamMauMau, but a little effort and money go a long way. It sort of blows my mind when someone spends hundreds of dollars on a doll, yet won't at least make it look decent. I don't really care how someone chooses to enjoy their doll, but if that includes dressing it in clothes that are so shoddy that make the homeless seem well dressed, or have a face-up that would get them on some sort of transformation reality show, they shouldn't be surprised when others think it's ugly, make fun of it, or post about it elsewhere, nor should they whine about how all the "elitists" in the community are "mean" to them.

As for playing with the doll? It really doesn't matter. I love playing with mine and going to meet-ups, but if someone want their doll to be no more than decoration than a painting on the wall, that's up to them. In fact, if someone merely wants it for decoration, I wonder if they would have some of the best looking dolls.

Much as I like it when others photograph their dolls often, that too is not just a hobby for everyone. However, if someone posts pictures in the gallery, they should at least try to make some effort to make them acceptable for the public. No one needs a DSLR to take a good picture, but what irks me the most is when others take pictures of their dolls and their house is a filthy mess, or it looks like no consideration was taken for the photo at all.

In a way, it does bother me when people change or do something that renders a limited doll damaged in some way. Here's why: say there is a limited edition that is really popular, but only a few exist. Of course, in this hobby, a higher end price is thousands of dollars. The more "limited" this doll becomes due to more and more of them being modded and whatnot only drives up the price even more for those who want it. Suppose the modded LE doll goes up for sale, and it's different enough that anyone who wants the actually doll in good condition doesn't want it?

For those who think that having too many dolls is a bad thing, this is entirely ridiculous; these are dolls, not children. I was the eldest of seven kids, and I can tell you most certainly that some of us got much less attention, resources, and whatnot than others. With dolls, all you need is the money to properly take care of them, and the amount of time needed to devote to them is much less than what is needed for a real kid, never mind several. I'm glad my dolls don't resent me when I choose to do a lot for one, and little for the rest. ;)

12. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

No. I don't even care if people have their dolls in sock dresses, because it seems to me that those people tend to enjoy playing with the dolls more 'physically' than 'aesthetically' (ie: getting a doll's "look" right). I personally enjoy sewing for my dolls, but I often make a quicker, more rushed and flawed outfit for my doll, whilst the outfits I sell I work on painstakingly to get them as perfect as possible.

No, cause the most professional and perfect a faceup may not be the right faceup for that doll, especially if you're the type who has characters you are trying to visualise in doll form. I know I've looked back at photos of old faceups I've got my doll that I cringe somewhat at now, but I loved the doll then and got full enjoyment out of it, so to me that's what's most important. Also, the level of physical play has to be considered as well. I know I would never spend a heap of money on a faceup for my tinies because they get handled a lot, and it's going to wear off faster.

Once again no, you don't have to do all these things. Some people are simply collectors, and to have a collection of beautiful dolls on display is enough for them and I respect that.

For me it seems a shame to spend all that money and not have a doll at least on display to enjoy looking at, but if that's what they want to do then so be it. I buy dolls for aesthetic value, not monetary, but others do consider them as investments so I can understand why they would want to keep them in a box. I know others do it as they feel it keeps their doll in the best condition for longest, and while I respect it's their choice, I do have a hard time getting it, as it is not the way I enjoy my own dolls.

No, in fact I have more limited dolls than standards, and I 'play' with them all in the same way. For me a doll being a limited shouldn't change how you enjoy a doll.

No.

No. I have a lot of dolls myself and while the way I enjoy them may have changed (in that I tend to focus on a few dolls at a time and rotate the focus, the rest simply on display), I still enjoy them all.

13. For a blanket answer: no one is obligated or should be presumed to (have to) do anything once they have purchased their doll. But the world (and 'community' - term used loosely) has their own opinion, and in the case of dolls and similar, it's a very loud, forceful, and contradictory opinion.

1) Is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll?

'Proper' is subjective, and 'enjoyment' can constitute a wide range of activities or non-activities. Personally for the second year of owning BJD-type dolls my 'enjoyment' constituted knowing I owned them. That was it. I didn't buy clothing or interact or honestly, most of the time even see them, but knowing I had them and they would be there when I had the time for them, or when I was more interested in the whole 'hobby' itself was enjoyment enough.

Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

Absolutely not. The doll could sit naked and still be appreciated in my eyes.

Absolutely not. Part of some people's enjoyment comes from trying their hand at their own faceups. My DDdy's closed-eye head currently has a faceup I've done and it's FAR from the best. Eventually I'll wipe it off and try again, but for me half the fun of the whole DDdy experience is trying to make the faceup work with whatever skills I have.

Absolutely not. Like I said previously, in the second year of my owning my dolls I didn't interact with them much, if at all. I didn't think about them regularly, I didn't buy for them, and I didn't touch them. Sometimes I looked at them, but for the most part they were pretty much ignored.

All of the activities mentioned are just a small part of appreciating and loving a doll. Personally I admire people who can collect these dolls and not touch and interact with them on a regular or semi-regular basis. I do this with my figurines, sure, but I don't think I could with my dolls. They may go long stretches of time where I don't bother with them, where they're either packed away or sitting on a shelf somewhere ignored, but in the long run they always end up being interacted with in some form or other eventually.

You can appreciate these dolls even if they're protected behind glass and never touched. It's actually disappointing that people believe you must interact with them to get some sort of enjoyment from them when it's simply not true.

Absolutely does this constitute enjoyment. They're protective of it, they want to keep it in as pristine condition as they can. They still view it, they still interact and play with it. This is how they view their part in the hobby. I have a doll that's been in pieces in her box for a good year now. She might be restrung soon and brought out or she might not. I know she's there, however, and that's enough for me.

A doll is a doll, limited or no.

See above.

Absolutely not. I have 18 full dolls and a bunch of floating heads and faceplates, the latter of which usually just hang about in the dolly parts drawer. Not all 18 of my dolls are out and about, and not all are interacted with on a regular basis. In fact, oftentimes two or three of them are in doll carrybags and only come out when I take them somewhere to show someone who wants to see them.

I also have to admit I have some heads and faceplates 'just to have' them. Granted, I will eventually make them into full dolls, clothe them, give them faceups, etc, but for now I'm happy just knowing I have the heads and faceplates around. They aren't a high priority at all. I will take them out to look at them, even if they're blank, bodiless and eyeless, but for the most part I just got them to have them. Part of the collector side of me.

14. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

No.

What is someone views as perfect outfit for their doll, someone else might consider cheap rags they wouldn't even dare use to clean their doll with. So what is "nice", and what one can "afford" depends on the beholder and spender, but as long as you are happy as the owner of the doll, that's all that matters.

I am not likely to buy so expensive BJD clothing/fabrics/material/addons etc that I'd have to live on water and bread for a month, even if it's a way of "suffering for art" ;) Some might get a doll and have no intention of dressing it up, or changing clothes a lot or changing face-up a lot. And to some, this might seem weird.

No.

Some dolls I plan to keep as display dolls, others I'd at least bring with me here and there. This is mostly size dependent, as a bigger doll is not as easy to bring with as a small one.

This seeming "obligation" to do this and that, does seem to stem from that many tend to view the dolls as persons, and thus it is bad etiquette to not care for it, ie a form of neglect, and that those would prefer the doll to have had a more "caring" owner.

Yes.

I'd actually consider getting one or more duplicates of a doll (head and body at least) to keep stashed away as a backup, just to be on the safe side, should something happen to the original doll. The same backup tactics can be applied to computer gadgets and clothing that I like a lot, and like to use a lot.

5) Do your answers change if it's a lot of dolls? For purposes of the question, let's assume that "a lot" of dolls means approximately 10 dolls or more.

No.

This hobby is all about customisation after all, whether it's a full makeover, or keeping a doll as is. And some have hordes of dolls, some have one doll. I might however treat a LE doll more carefully, should I have decided to keep it as is, and not being completely certain I'd keep it in the long run.

15. Just to put in my random opinion on one of your questions:
      "What about people who buy the doll and then just leave it in its box (where it is safe from any physical harm) and look at it once in a while? Do you think that constitutes a valid "enjoyment" of the doll?"

I'm more or less one of those people. I have yet to receive my first BJD that I ordered, but I know all my other dolls I keep in their boxes, but I still consider myself as enjoying them. I know from experience that I'm a really careless person, and if I don't put things away after playing with them, they tend to get lost or damaged by accident. The first doll that I bought for collection purposes, I actually kept out, played with, and had it lying around... over time I would accidentally put stuff over it, then uncover it later on... until finally one day, I misplaced it. I have since bought other dolls, but I'm pretty careful now to put them back in the box after playing because I just know I will probably misplace another one. lol I'm just that absent-minded and disorganized. And even though she's in her box, I'm happy every time I open that box and see her lying there perfectly. :P It's like opening the box for the first time all over again!

16. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

I think that if someone would rather make clothes than buy them (which is what I do) then they are entitled to do so. If they aren't the best made, that doesn't matter, as long as they like it and such. If people spend tons of money on high-end doll clothes, then they can do as they please. It really doesn't matter as long as you're happy with your choice.~

Once again, this one to me, is more of a personal preference. Faceups are good practice, and if its amateurish and they use pretty much the right stuff, the owner can remove it and start clean! It's good practice on faceups to eventually get to a nice professional-looking one. Besides, some companies don't offer custom faceups - and if there's a faceup you're DYING to have for your doll, then you can do it yourself or commission someone to do it for you!

That is most definitely me right here. I'm forever hugging and just sitting with my doll.. I love him ><! But if people don't do that kind of thing with their dolls, then that's alright. If they take them out to do shoots with them every so often, then that's fine too. But, if you just have the doll sitting on a shelf collecting dust and not really paying attention to it, then... That's not good in my opinion.. Most companies want you to actually enjoy time with these dolls (some even say it on their websites), and play with them >< Playing with them can be going all the way up to talking to it (like me, hahaa..) or just taking pictures of it, so really, as long as you don't neglect the thing, it can go either way.

I put my doll in his box at night, so he doesn't accidentally fall off something or whatever... But someone who buys a doll, and leaves it in the box and really never takes it out... In my opinion I don't find it a valid "enjoyment" because these dolls are meant to be taken out and played with, really. But then again, if someone finds a lot of enjoyment in just looking at it, then that's alright too. (I'm really both-sided about these things..)

Limited, not limited, there really isn't a difference; it's still a BJD no matter how you look at it.

Nope.~

No, not really. Like, let's say you have a lot of dolls, and you focus on one for some time, one for another time, etc.. And keep through a cycle; while the dolls you don't focus on aren't getting as much attention.. That's perfectly fine with me, as long as at least once in a while every doll has like, a day or something to come out and be played with.

As long as the owner is happy with what they're doing with their dolls (to some limit, ie not scalping them or damaging them on purpose), then it really makes no difference. What they do is up to them, I have my views on it but I won't press them on other people x)

17. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?
      I may have to even question "What is 'damaging dolls'?" I have seen some "mods" that could easily be construed as damaging.

Isn't the point of having a doll to spoil it? Why would someone spend the money on a doll if they did not intend to get it nice things. Of course, each persons opinion of "nice" differs. I have seen many a home-made item that a doll gets to proudly model despite that it is obviously home-made. I'm not going to frown upon that person for their doll not being as nicely dressed as someone else's.

I think doing your own doll's faceup is a personal and bonding experience with a doll. I would rather see an amateurish faceup done by the dolls owner than a really good one that a stranger was paid to do.

As with all objects, when it is brand new of course it will get more attention than when it is a few years old. That is just the nature of things. Do I wish people would hug their older dolls? Not really. Hug your friends and family. A doll will have no clue that it hasn't been hugged lately.

I think enjoyment is subject to the beholder. Each person gets enjoyment out of their doll in a different way.

Nope, sure don't.

If the doll comes with a faceup then there is no need for a person to redo it to personalize it. I perosnally prefer to have more than one outfit for my doll so she can change for different events, but if I had a really amazingly awesome outfit from a fullset that I always wanted to see my doll in then there would be no need for backup outfits.

When I see someone with "a lot" of dolls my brain immediately jumps to "OMG how much money did that cost???" I have had to defend my doll purchases to friends and understand that each of us has our hobbies that we spend our money on and that is our own business. But when I see a person with tons of dolls and they do not pay attention to each and every one of them I have to wonder why they would shell out the money for things they do not even pay attention to. I do not feel bad for the dolls or get upset with the person for ignoring some dolls, but I would rather see a person with a plethora of dolls that do not get attention do something more constructive with their funds. But it is not my business what they do with their lives so I do not say anything to them about it. I just wish I had the excessive finances to have 10+ dolls that do not even get attention, (read as: do not mean that much) but then again if I had that kind of money I would probably just have another motorcycle instead of 10+ dolls. =)

18. What should they be doing with their funds, instead?

19. Great questions!
      I hope none of my answers offend anyone. Just expressing my opinions! ;)

Well, I don't know about 'obligation' but I think there are certain aspects of the hobby that are not serviced by just buying a doll and letting it sit on a shelf or lie in its box. Posing and photographing are probably the biggest for me. Customizing and styling them is a close second, but only because some dolls come as a complete set and I can see why someone would not want to change them.

Simply put: YES. That goes for low-end dolls (like mine) as well as high end ones. It's disheartening to see dolls who have great potential to be beautiful, or at least interesting, being dressed in rags essentially with nothing in the way of styling. It doesn't take much money or effort to really make a doll shine.

Not necessarily. But if someone is just really unskilled at doing faceups, they should really just try and find someone who can do justice to their doll's potential. If you can't afford a commission, everyone has an artistic friend! Mine still has the default faceup and she looks pretty damn good

I think that photographing bjd's is part of the hobby. It seems a pretty natural aspect, being that they're so posable. But other than that, I don't think there's any loss of enjoyment with them if you don't "play pretend".

I've never really understood why collectors (of any sort- dolls, action figures, etc) keep their collectables untouched in their boxes. With bjd's, I think one should at least display them. Otherwise, what's the point? Seems wasteful to me.

Not at all.

Nope.

Again, at least display them. You don't need to treat them like children and make sure that each one gets equal attention, but if they're being left in their boxes, they're serving no purpose, which is to bring you enjoyment!

20. I don't know... I don't really care what people do with their dolls, ultimately... there are so many more important things to care about in the world. I might feel a bit of outrage if someone, say... hacked up a Dollstown Susie v1, but if it really got to me I could like... turn on the news and get a little perspective on things and then I'm sure I could get over it.

Raven