1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Other People's "Playing" or "Attachment" or lack thereof - Does It Bother You?

Mar 21, 2010

1. I doubt I'll be very original, but, here we go...

1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

Like many people above said, "obligated" is too strong. When someone buys a doll, it's hers/his. She/he can do whatever she/ha wants with that doll. It's not an animal or child.

- Buy or make really nice clothing for the doll (i.e. best you can afford)?

For me, it's a natural turn of events. I buyed a doll, so I want it to look beautiful. I can't sew, so I'll buy him the best clothes I can. But again, someone can have different plans. If she/he wants to keep the doll naked or wraped in tissue, it's their decision. I may find it weird, but no one has the obligation to even clothe their dolls at all.

- Invest in a professional faceup for the doll, rather than a properly done (i.e. no magic markers, not awful) but kind of amateurish one?

Again - it's a personal decision. I have no talent for face-ups, so I usually buy default one from company with the doll.But if someone can do it, or simply is enjoying doing face-up by himself, why should it bother me ? It's also a great way to personalize your doll - you can be sure, that non other doll in the world has the same face-up ^_-.If it it seems really awful to everyone else...

- Interact or "play" with the doll somehow - by hugging it, making up stories about it, talking to it, taking it to meets, photographing it regularly, etc.?

Playing with doll is nice, but I don't feel that it has to be necessary for everyone - plus, different people can understand something totally different under "playing". I'm not hugging my doll, because I'm to afraid to damage him, but also because I don't feel like it - I prefer hugging something softer and more fluffy ^_-. Making up stories, talking to your doll, all signs of affection are something more or less natural for different people. It would be weird, if someone would force himself to talk to the doll, if he doesn't feel the urge to do it. It completely depends from the owner. Same thing with the regular photographing - if someone likes to do it, fine. If not, and he/she doesn't like to show the photos of the doll to other people, why should he bother ?

2) What about people who buy the doll and then just leave it in its box (where it is safe from any physical harm) and look at it once in a while? Do you think that constitutes a valid "enjoyment" of the doll?

I would never do it, but I fully understand people, who act like this.BJD are expensive, so they can be treated like any other "precious possession" or even treasure, for example jewellery. Some people love to wear it, others enjoy simply keeping it somewhere safe. Both ways are equally good to me, even if I'm definitely the first type.

3) Do your answers change if it's a limited doll?

Nope.

4) Do your answers change if it's a fullset doll that comes with everything, so there's no need to customize, buy clothes, or get a faceup and wig for the doll?

Nope.

4) Do your answers change if it's a lot of dolls? For purposes of the question, let's assume that "a lot" of dolls means approximately 10 dolls or more.

Nope.

2. Personally, none of that bothers me. I feel compelled to make sure my dolls are dressed as best as I can manage, and they have personalities to me, and when I get a camera I intend to take pictures of them and soemtimes I take them to meets. (only once so far... ^ ^;;)

My grandmother is also a doll person (though she prefers 16" vinyl dolls) and she has them all over her house, but she does not 'play' with them. Occasionally she changes their outfits. They're not 'on display' so to say, as if they were a piece of fine pottery, but sitting casually posed as if tehy were really living on the shelves. To her, each of them is a character, and she loves them all, even though she doesn't take pictures or show them off or buy super-fashion-type expensive clothes for them. And I think that's fine.

3. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

Nope. Nobody is obligated to do anything with their doll. It's their doll and as far as I know, there are no mandatory rules or any courses to take to become a doll owner like "Treating your Dolls 101", etc.

I personally take very careful care of mine, but that's because a couple of hundred dollars is a lot of money for me and not something I'd want to throw out the window. If people want to buy something that expensive and then destroy it, I'll cringe, but it is their money in the end.

To be honest, I do enjoy and love seeing dolls in amazing clothing. It doesn't have to be expensive or fancy clothes, but just something nice other than a sock dress or just something that's been hastily made just to make sure they're not naked. I know at the beginning likely all dolls will end up in something hastily made or put together, but after wards I think it would be great to see them in decent clothing.

I'm guilty of course of still having both my SD's in hastily made clothing due to a complete lack of time to make them new clothes. I do plan on making them nice new outfits though so I can finally get them looking the way I want.

- Invest in a professional faceup for the doll, rather than a properly done (i.e. no magic markers, not awful) but kind of amateurish one?

Nope. I've seen a lot of cute and loving amateurish faceups that work for the owner of the dolls. If they like it then that it is all that should matter. I get my face ups done professionally for the most part, but that is because I'd like to see my dolls as the things of beauty I bought them to be. (I know my face ups are also very weak and not to my liking so that's another reason I'd always get them professionally done.)

I do cringe though at Magic marker face ups, but again, my opinion on the doll's face up is my opinion. Everyone has their own likes so if that's what that owner likes, then power to them.

- Interact or "play" with the doll somehow - by hugging it, making up stories about it, talking to it, taking it to meets, photographing it regularly, etc.?

No again. I don't have a lot of time (as mentioned before) with school to spend time with my dolls so most of the time they do just sit on my shelf and look pretty. I do like to pose them or move them a little each day and I do spend time with them when I can, but they were bought originally because I wanted to see them in person and be able to look at them whenever I wanted to. Therefore, if all I have time to do in a day is look at them, I still feel like it's worth it.

I would never consider it a requirement of owning a doll.

2) What about people who buy the doll and then just leave it in its box (where it is safe from any physical harm) and look at it once in a while? Do you think that constitutes a valid "enjoyment" of the doll?

Again, I did that for a little while at the beginning and still enjoyed my doll. It's up to the person who owns the doll and if doing that keeps them happy, then again, power to them.

Nope. I know a lot of people who take super special care of Limited dolls because of their limited nature. I personally treat my Luna Tamer the same way I treat my other dolls, and my Glot will be treated the same way too.

Therefore again, its up to the owner.

4) Do your answers change if it's a fullset doll that comes with everything, so there's no need to customize, buy clothes, or get a faceup and wig for the doll?

Again, it doesn't change.

4) Do your answers change if it's a lot of dolls? For purposes of the question, let's assume that "a lot" of dolls means approximately 10 dolls or more.

Not at all. I have a small collection right now, but I know a lot of people with a large collection that treat their dolls the same way I do. It's really up to the person if they can handle having that many or not.

To sum it all up: To be honest, whatever a person wants to do with their doll is their choice. My only reasoning would be that if it makes them happy, let them do what they like and keep mean or otherwise not so nice opinions to yourself. If it makes them sad, then that's where a problem would lie.

4. Sorry to ressurect this thread. I also didn't take time to see if I responded, but my attitudes might've changed since then anyway...

1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

I am not going to pay $50 for an outfit. There is no way. OK... maybe if that outfit was my vision of what I wanted my doll to have, I'd think about it, but only a handful have done that, and I still don't own any of them.

I liked the face ups my dolls came with, and I buy dolls based on the face up. I still can't visualize a blank doll's face up. Not sure if I'd send my dolls to a face up artist when the time came, but I might look into it. I'd want something similar to (though not, understandably, the same as) the ones they came with.

I am trying to do the story thing. I like giving my dolls stories, but it's really hard to shape the character to the best of my abilities. I tend to keep them around, sometimes. They'll sit on the couch when I'm on the computer. They're nice to look at.

That being said, there should be a "How To Treat Your Doll" section on DoA, just so that people know what they shouldn't use on their doll to permanently damage their doll. Like, we should have a place for items that can damage the resin, like acetone. Sharpies won't come off unless sanded... that kind of thing. Not something like "You need to take your doll out x times a day, change its clothes x times a day, and photograph it at least once a day - otherwise the dolly police will take your doll away..." or "A BJD owner MUST have a set amount of clothes at the ready for meets and photo shoots. Heaven forbid your doll is seen in anything twice..."

Whatever floats your boat, I guess. It's not something I would do - I had two porcelain dolls that I also played with as a kid because I couldn't really understand that there were dolls you had to keep on a shelf to look at. I knew they were fragile, and I was careful with them, but I played with them.

If people get enjoyment from keeping them in their boxes, and looking at them now and then, OK. I can't and won't tell someone what to do with what they've bought. If someone wants to buy a car and just keep it in their garage, go a head.

My answer doesn't change with multiple dolls, limited dolls, or full sets. As far as I know, my doll buying isn't circular, so whatever doll I get is here to stay. Chances are, there's a reason why I have the dolls I do - LE or not - and while I would probably be a little bit more careful with the rarer ones, they're still going to be treated like the others.

5. Hhhmmm, I was going to say that aside from the two we are not allowed to include (scalping and damage), nothing that others do to their dolls really bothers me... then I realised that's not strictly true: I am not that bothered by someone buying a very expensive doll and leaving it out in their garden to yellow and have it's clothes rot, get covered in bird poo and snail trails and for all the elastic to rot through and the S Hooks to rust and the whole doll fall apart and decay. It's their property and if people are stupid enough and careless enough to treat their property that way then it's non of my concern.

Oh, but when said hypothetical owner then picks up the doll and sticks it on the MP/Ebay with some old photos and tries to sell it on, THAT bothers me a lot, but it's another rant entirely!

I only think it's up to me to get all high and mighty and intervene if the "property" they are mistreating is a sentient creature such as a pet. But plastic, however beautiful or expensive, no, do what you want with it... except clubbing someone/thing over the head with it.

6. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

I really don't think that there is a 'proper' way to enjoy a doll -- that's going to vary a lot, and people aren't always going to agree. It's easy to pick an extreme example of something obviously very damaging, but when you move away from extremes, it comes down to each owner's comfort level. For example some people are comfortable taking their dolls out in public which exposes them to more dangers than keeping them on a shelf at home. Other people don't let theirs leave the house. Neither is right or wrong.

As for the rest of these questions, I do not believe people are obligated to do any of these things. Sometimes people rationalize their decisions in ways that don't make sense to me, but ultimately it really isn't a big deal and it's hardly something I lose sleep over ;)

No obligation here, and when pics pop up in a gallery you don't always know how much sewing experience someone has for instance, or whether or not the not so nice outfit is just temporary as they save for something better. So it really behooves people to not jump to conclusions about other people's doll care.

That said, I have heard plenty of people complaining about the price of doll clothes, when there is actually decent very inexpensive stuff out there. It really doesn't have to take a lot of money to make your doll look nice, and if someone has spent the money on the doll I do feel it makes some sense to at least put a little consideration into the clothing. I don't mean they have to run out and buy a $100+ outfit, but pieces that look like actual clothing and that aren't entirely disproportionate to a bjd. It's one of those situations that doesn't bother me all that much per say (it's not something I really dwell on, really), but when it comes up the reasoning doesn't make sense to me. You can put together a complete outfit from Mint on Card for around $30 which shouldn't be impossible to do if you've managed to save for the $100+ doll itself *shrug.*

Not at all, everyone has to start somewhere, and this hobby has always encouraged owners to give customization a shot. If they use resin friendly materials, then they can always redo the faceup later. No damage is done, and they are just participating in what to a lot of people this hobby is actually about.

People play in all kinds of ways. I don't care if people are more hands on or hands off -- there is no right and wrong here and it doesn't bother me either way.

If it makes them happy. Not everyone has a good place to display their dolls out of harms way.

No. I treat my LE and standard dolls the same.

No, they are still abjds, and abjds are meant to be customized. Besides just because the sculpt is perfect for the person doesn't mean that the outfit/wig/etc is.

No, I'm not sure why it would???

7. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

I don't think the clothing has to be "really nice" as long as it reflects the doll's personality and/or looks good them.

As long as the doll ends up with the look the owner wanted, I don't see a problem with the faceup not being "professionally" done.

I can understand why people might prefer not to handle their doll after it has been completed, although I personally wouldn't be able to do that.

That seems like a waste... But I am the type of person who deboxes "collector's edition" items and plays with them.

Not really, no.

No.

As long as each doll is getting the attention is deserves and none of them are being neglected because of the volume of the owner's horde, then no.

8. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

No. If you want to put your doll in a sock dress then go ahead and do it. These dolls are to make their owners happy, not to please some elitist 'quality control' wannabe on the internet. I think dolls with home made clothing are more likely to be loved than the cabinet baby dolls that so many people covet.

Same as above. I couldn't care less if someone scribbles over a doll's face in crayons so long as they don't do it to my dolls. Heck, I don't care if they post it all over the gallery either. I don't own the internet and I have a back button. The whole 'oh, markers, sock dresses! My delicate eyes! The shame!' attitude is hilarious to me.

I like to do these with my dolls but as with the first 2 questions, it's not my doll, why would I care? (That wad rhetorical..)

Seems strange to me, like they're overly worried, but heck these things are expensive.

Nope. I want to see loads of limiteds in sock dresses and watch the 'hard core' collectors claim doll misuse.

The whole point of fullsets is so you don't have to do the face etc yourself.

Still 10 dolls that aren't mine *shrugs*. You'd get a more comprehensive answer from me if this was all pertaining to my use of my dolls, but then it'd be a discussion and people couldn't argue about things that aren't actually their business.

9. It doesn't matter what I, as a random observer, think is neglect because it's not my doll. They could have done an entire body blush in neon sharpie and then thrown it out on their deck for their dog to use as a chew toy all summer and as long as they aren't trying to sell it to me it is none of my business. It doesn't even really matter if they're happy with their dolls or if they absolutely hate them, though I would hope and imagine that if someone decided to keep a doll they would find some joy in it.

If the standards for care hinge on face-ups and wardrobe, I'm afraid my little brood needs the Dolly Protective Services. :lol: I'm definitely not the best seamstress, and my face-up skills are seriously lacking, but though I know they could look nicer, I think they're beautiful and that's all that matters in the end.

10. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

I love my cheap doll clothes. I love my expensive doll clothes. I just failed at knitting a sweater for my doll. But I don't think proper appreciation comes from who made what for their doll. People like what they like and the tag shouldn't matter.

As the doll collector I will say no. Its not needed. Face ups reflect the owner. As the artist I say invest in the BEST you can because I have learned the hard way that student grade And professional are worlds apart and will show in your work. I basically have mixed feelings on this.

No. Some people have things just to have them. All the other stuff isn't required. I only do about half the listed stuff anyway...

Keeping it in the box seems like a shame. I love LOOKING at my dolls so I couldn't keep them in the box. Then again, it's their doll so they can do what suits them.

Nope.

No.

Not at all.

11. I have to agree with green_judy; how others enjoy their dolls, as long as there's no physical or mental harm caused to any other persons, doesn't fall into 'right' or 'wrong'. Granted, there are things doll owners do that I don't understand, but I'm not going to automatically assume that 'if I don't understand it, it's wrong'.

Incidentally, I'm one of those that likes to keep most of her dolls in boxes. And as I specifically pick dolls based on how the blank sculpts look, I don't consider dolls without face-ups and clothes as horrible tragedies. And I really like just looking at them; it gives me satisfaction. I keep a few in a display cabinet, but I'm too paranoid to keep them out in the light for long. I'd like to buy a dresser and put my dolls in drawers between cushions as a quicker way to access them should I wish, but it's probably not going to increase how often I play with them. They're very precious to me (and here I question Anneko's assumption that those who display their dolls have less of an emotional attachment), and they're often on my mind, but that doesn't mean I constantly 'play' with them (however way 'play' is defined in this hobby: dressing and styling, painting, photography, etc).

Frankly, it would be unlikely for me to full out hug a bjd like it was a mini-person, but, incongruously, I do sometimes make comments about them to them (usually something like 'you're so cute!'). For me, it would be like hugging an oil painting or kissing a sculpture (though I may or may not have had monologues in front of art pieces about their historic significance versus their own artistic merit), neither of which I'd ever be likely to do, though I know some people kiss sculptures as tradition or religious icons to show piety and humility. And that's fine, as long as no one tries to force me to do it, and I won't force anyone to join my own craziness.;)

And as for the last question of a doll collector having more than 10 dolls and not seeming to do anything with it (or treating them 'wrongly')...what is the difference between the doll owner who owns many dolls, does nothing with them, and doesn't post pictures for others to view, and the doll owner who owns many dolls, has them styled gorgeously, and yet still doesn't post pictures for other doll owners to view? Personally, I'd be much more disappointed if I know someone who has gorgeously styled dolls but doesn't ever show them off. This is not to say that I think owners of beautiful dolls has an 'obligation' to post beautiful pictures; I just mean the result is the same.

Then there's the idea that if some one else will do more with the doll, that they're in some ways more deserving and that it'd be better if the doll were sold to a new owner...we all enjoy various things at various levels and in different ways. If a person collects both action figures and bjds, and enjoys their actions figures more than their bjds, I don't think it's better if this person only concentrated on action figures and sells their bjds to a more enthusiastic bjd. Variety being the spice of life and all that, and I definitely don't enjoy all the variety in my life equally, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have them. There's this hint of 'for the better good of this hobby community, less deserving owners should sell their dolls to those more deserving'. I don't think one owner 'deserves' a doll more than another owner, irregardless of how they treat their dolls. The only case in which this would work would be if these dolls are suddenly declared irreplaceable pieces of art and culture, and therefore should be cared for in order to remain in the public domain for prosperity. And I really think that's not the case here.

Although, in this scenario, I would suspect that the enjoyment comes less from possession of the doll and more from the pain/jealousy inflicted upon others.

12. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

Yes and no... depending on whether the doll is shown to public, displayed or kept in a box, depending on the character, and depending on what is considerened "really nice".
      Obligated to buy or make nice clothing? No. In my opinion, it is better to style your doll according to the character it is depicting. So if the character is a naked deity, then why should the doll wear clothing at all?

Also, if the doll is not on display, it doesn't necessarily need clothing.

If the character is living in the modern world, and the doll is displayed or shown on photos, I would prefer to see the doll wearing clothing though. Doesn't need to be "nice" - because "nice" is subjective. It doesn't need to be bought clothing neither. If the owner at least tries to make a fitting outfit, it is enough. I usually don't enjoy looking at dolls dressed in a used sock with a hole in it. But if the sock has at least some sewn sleeves attached, I might already be satisfied xD

A big NO. As someone for whom doing face-ups is the most important and enjoyable aspect of the hobby, I would be a hypocrite if I wanted others to buy face-ups instead of doing their own. And everybody has to start somewhere - the professional artist began as an amateur one day too.

Yes. But I am not only thinking about typical "play". I think there are ways for those who don't "play" with the dolls in the typical way to enjoy them and interact with them. Collecting them without taking them out of the box, keeping record of which dolls you already have and which you plan to have, feeling happiness at the thought of your collection - I consider this interation too. Taking them out once a month, looking at them from time to time, enjoying the way they look - interaction. Displaying them in a glass cabinet to look at them every two or three days - again, interaction.

But let's pretend you buy a doll, and then just put it away, without even considering it part of a collection... This I would not call a legitimate way to enjoy a doll. It is not a way to enjoy a doll at all. If you don't interact with the doll in some way, why would you need it at all - except for reselling, but this is not not up for discussion here.

Yes. Looking at it from time to time, or even simply considering it part of a collection and keeping it on some kind of collector's list, is already a valid enjoyment of the doll in my opinion.

No.

No.

No. It doesn't matter how many dolls you have - as long as you enjoy them all in some way, and none is a "forgotten toy in the attic", it is all okay in my opinion.

13. To be 100% honest, and I know this is just me, it does make me a little sad when someone dresses a doll up and then just sits it on the shelf to look at and never does anything more with it. I'm not saying I think anything is "wrong" with that, and I would certainly never call someone on it, but... it just seems like missing out on so much fun you could be having. But, each to her own idea of fun. =)

14. Couldn't agree more! It really does seem sad to not do anything with your doll once you've purchased it.

15. It bugs me a little when people don't really treat their dolls with the individuality that they have. Like a doll who doesn't have a character or is just a copy of another doll existing. Its just such a wasted opportunity of using the potential that the medium of dolls have.

But as for all the hand-done things, its more of a bonding thing, but characters and stories can still be made through a collaboration of people.
      Multiple dolls doesn't change anything in my eyes, there's nothing wrong with people loving a lot of dolls or just one c:

16. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following? As long as they don't damage them...they're taking care of them...and even if they damage them...it's there's and I have no right to be all butt-hurt about it.

I have no right to tell someone how they should dress their doll, and someone who feels they have that right needs a nice dose of reality.

If you wanna ruin your doll with magic markers, you go right ahead...but don't expect to get anything for it if you decided you don't want it anymore. And some people want to learn to do faceups. This is a hobby for artists and artists need practice... they can't get that if they should be expected to get someone else to do the faceup for them because they currently lack the skill, and it takes away from their enjoyment of the hobby. Again...people who think that way need a good dose of reality...

See this gets me. I love hearing people say that if you don't do these things with your doll, then you're abusing it. It's not a kid. It's a toy. If you want to dress it up nice just to set it somewhere to look pretty, that is your right. It's not gonna get sad about not getting attention.

If they enjoy that, then it's enjoyment. There's no formal rules as to how you can and cannot enjoy a doll. Enjoyment is subjective and differs from person to person.

Nope.

Again: nope. They can set it fire for all I care... It's not money out of my pocket and my enjoyment of my own dolls is not lessened.

17. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

I don't think it's an obligation, no. If one WANTS to buy or make nice things for their dolly, then that's great. If like me you're content with what an Etsy grab bag has to offer, then that's fine too. Your doll, your rules. I go absolutely nuts for stuff on Etsy, and usually it's the fairly cheap stuff or middle-of-the-road in terms of prices. This is risky, though, since you can pay next to nothing and get something that's crap. I haven't had this happen yet, but I know it could happen easily.

Here I'm going to be a bit of a hypocrite since I just said "your doll, your rules." Unless you're skilled at the art of the faceup (which I'm not), it would be worth it to pay for a professional one. This is especially so if your head has scars or mods or some sort of special feature. Those little crannies can be hard to paint!

I can only answer for myself here, but the first thing I did with both of my boys was take a boatload of pictures. Even now, though the new has worn off some, I carry them around the house, talk to them, make plans, play with wigs and eyes and clothes, talk to them every now and then, stuff like that. I think that stuff like that is pretty important.

I don't think so, no. I think that you have to actually do something with the doll in order to enjoy it. Even if it's just putting the doll up on a shelf and changing the clothes now and then, at least it's out where people can see it and say "Oh, what a pretty/interesting doll!"

Not really, no. I have a limited and I treat him the same way as I do the nonlimited boy. They're equally nice dolls and I get a lot of enjoyment out of both of them. If there were any difference in the two it would be in the faceup. Alistair (limited) has molded teeth that would be tricky for a nOOb like me to paint, whereas Johnny (not limited) does not. Thus I would be more likely to send Alistair to a professional for a faceup than I would Johnny.

Nope, not unless you're just content with that one wig and that one outfit. If you are, then done deal!

Again, my answers don't change much. I might expect there to be less for each doll, maybe one or two outfits apiece or something like that, or however much money you want to sink per doll. But even when you've got a large group it's still easy to enjoy them all. Just rotate 'em; spend one week with one doll, another week with another one, and so on. It works out pretty well.

This is a fun set of questions, by the way!

18. On the whole, people can do whatever they like with their dolls. If I see a doll with a very poor or unprofessional faceup/modification, to the point where (in my opinion) the doll is ruined, I will cringe and think that it's a real shame, but at the same time I know it's none of my business. If the owner is happy they are happy, end of story.

How many dolls someone else has, how often they handle/play with them isn't something I think about. I may enjoy my dolls out on display, someone else may enjoy having them safely packed up in boxes, a third person may enjoy photographing them. It's not for me to say what's a valid form of enjoying your doll.

19. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?
      No. You are not obligated to do anything with a doll beyond paying for it in full, and if it's secondhand, letting your seller know it arrived safely. Anything else is entirely up to the owner.

It depends on the owner. Personally, I could not enjoy a doll who stayed in the box or was a shelf baby. I play with my dolls, I role play them, I actively sew for them, take photos, take them to meets. But everyone is not me. If you enjoy collecting and not interacting further, that is your choice.

nope.

Nope.

Not really. I don't understand why someone would want 30 naked, bald, blank dolls piled up, and continue adding to the pile without finishing any of them. That would drive me crazy! haha But there's still the fact that they bought them, they paid for them, and if that's how they enjoy the hobby, it's their choice. If I were funding their hobby, I may say that I won't buy them a new doll until they complete or rehome the last one, but until then, they can do what they like. It might make me a little sad when I see a doll with potential to be amazing sitting blank and bald in a box for years, but in the end, unless it's my doll, I have absolutely zero right to say anything about it.

20. - Buy or make really nice clothing for the doll (i.e. best you can afford)?

No, I don't.

Absolutely not! In this case I will turn this around and say this (and this is not meant as an attack - it's merely my point of view on this topic): Why would I want someone else to paint my doll? Why would I remove enjoyment of owning a doll by handing over all the fun to someone else? And why would I want to look down on my own ability to get my doll to look like I want it to look?

So no, no and no to this. For me getting a doll with a face up or have someone else do it for me removes the entire point of getting the doll in the first place (I will not even buy the doll if I can't get it without a face up). Besides, if you try to make the doll look like you want and later feels that it could have come out better... well then it's just a matter of redoing the faceup...

Nah, collecting and enjoying a doll is just like people: different. So I wouldn't say that should be any requirement on how to interact with a doll or how often. I don't like having a set requirement for itnerraction. Sometimes I will leave my dolls alone for a long time, sometimes we interract a lot and I don't feel bad about either. Because we have fun and hey, perhaps the dolls likes some time alone without their owner bothering them as well *joking* ;)

Of course, if the person who owns the doll is happy and enjoys this, then it's perfectly valid. As I see it each doll owner should do what they enjoy and what makes them happy. I do feel storing them in a box is actually a good way of taking care of the doll at times when you don't have time, inspiration or know what you want to do since they will be quite safe in their box (look at it like hibernation, they nap while the owner is uninpired, and then everyone has lots of fun later on :)

No

No... Personally I don't like fullsets because everything is already in place and that doesn't interest me whatsoever. However I DO think fullsets are very beautiful and I do respect all the work that goes into them and I do in no way look down on them. If I did get a fullset somehow I would do something to change them even if it was just a matter of changing clothes, hairstyle or something like that.

No, have fun and do what makes you happy I say :D I own a lot of dolls. So far I have Heard no complaints about them feeling neglected. But that might be because my dolls are a bit like me, they really like their alone-time just as much as playing with friends and don't need attention all the time ;)

Also... the concept of damage. I know we were not supposed to go "everyone is allowed to do what they want" but I do feel this needs to be said since I don't feel "damage" should automatically be a "this is bad!" topic. I understand what is being said in the initial post but I feel there is more to it. After all, if someone accidentally chip the resin, well that sucks but can be fixed, it doesn't mean a person is a bad doll owner as I think we all can agree. A person might want to interact a lot with their doll and it ends up getting a LOT of exposure to sun out of that, but at the same time the owner had a ton of fun. Do we consider modifications as damage to? Because when I use a drill, saw or similar to modify a doll - then to be fair that is intentionally causing damage to them at the start to be able to make the doll into the character I had in mind. Though of course I do rebuild and remake the doll and in some way restore it as well. I do in no way intend to pick a fight or sound disrespectful, naturally I feel it's best to take care of the dolls but at the same time, who am I to tell other people what is right or wrong? And where do we in that case draw the line :) Just a few thoughts on that matter from me :)