1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Other People's "Playing" or "Attachment" or lack thereof - Does It Bother You?

Mar 21, 2010

1. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

- Buy or make really nice clothing for the doll (i.e. best you can afford)?

- Invest in a professional faceup for the doll, rather than a properly done (i.e. no magic markers, not awful) but kind of amateurish one?

- Interact or "play" with the doll somehow - by hugging it, making up stories about it, talking to it, taking it to meets, photographing it regularly, etc.?

I admit, it is a little sad seeing dolls that have been so damaged by their owners, but if they just happened to not know any better and didn't actually mean to do it, I don't think they should be chastised for it and should just be helped and given info if they ask for it. That being said, I don't really care what other people do with their own dolls really. They're the ones that dropped the money on their doll, and so it's ultimately their decision on what they do with it. They don't have to buy or make the fanciest clothing in the land, and really, who cares if they have a professional faceup artist work on their doll or if they make their own attempt to do their own faceups? People have to start somewhere after all, and it's not like they can't wipe a faceup and start again once they've improved their skills. As for playing with the doll, that's also entirely up to them. They should really just do what makes them happy and people should just mind their own business and worry about their own dolls. Not to sound rude, but it does seem a little pathetic to be policing others and telling them how they should be enjoying their dolls. Seriously, don't bother with other people and just be happy that you're taking care of your dolls the way you like.

2) What about people who buy the doll and then just leave it in its box (where it is safe from any physical harm) and look at it once in a while? Do you think that constitutes a valid "enjoyment" of the doll?

I think that's perfectly acceptable. Who am I to say that it's not the proper way to enjoy something, when it could very well make the owner happy enough? It's not the way I choose to enjoy my doll, but to each their own.

3) Do your answers change if it's a limited doll?

Nope. Not my doll, not my problem. :)

4) Do your answers change if it's a fullset doll that comes with everything, so there's no need to customize, buy clothes, or get a faceup and wig for the doll?

Not at all. I can see why people would choose to get a full set doll and may want to change some aspects of it. They could possibly like everything the doll comes with and the sculpt of the doll itself but not love the faceup and vice versa, and I can also see why people would like everything about a full set doll and not want to change a thing. It's really about personal preference and style.

5) Do your answers change if it's a lot of dolls? For purposes of the question, let's assume that "a lot" of dolls means approximately 10 dolls or more.

No, my answers still remain the same.

2. Bottom line, there are a LOT of things that are done w/possessions (not just dolls) that make me CRINGE - and the more valuable/rare/beautiful the item is the more I don't want to see it happen. Taking a Rembrandt and destroying it is nearly sacrilegious for me. So if a doll is a one-off beautifully done work of art, seeing someone just destroy everything that makes it unique and rare is painful. All this talk of 'it's their doll so they can do whatever' hardly alleviates that.
      So limited dolls that are very difficult to get being modded, beautiful rare faceups being wiped, etc, IS taking something away from the community as a whole - or from the world shall we say. Period. A fact of life.
      Otherwise, people can do whatever with their dolls. I may shake my head wondering why they do such things but it IS their life & their doll!
      I do really really dislike it when people seem to get off on ramming their opinions down other people's throats (the constant slight sneering from some collectors about 'these are just objects' or 'just toys' for instance) - but I don't care what they think about their OWN dolls.

3. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?
      - Buy or make really nice clothing for the doll (i.e. best you can afford)?
      - Invest in a professional faceup for the doll, rather than a properly done (i.e. no magic markers, not awful) but kind of amateurish one?
      - Interact or "play" with the doll somehow - by hugging it, making up stories about it, talking to it, taking it to meets, photographing it regularly, etc.?

Nobody is obligated to do anything with their doll, period. Though I do think it's a shame when a doll (especially a rare or expensive one) has no faceup/a marker faceup, or no clothes, or sock clothes, or whatever. But seriously, all that matters is if the OWNER is happy. I myself do my own non-professional faceups, but I buy expensive clothes from Dollheart and the like since that's what makes ME happy (and I won't spend $35 on a pair of jeans for myself of course XD). I'm also not a fan of hugging angular, hard plastic with delicate, expensive clothes on. I do take pictures because EEE SO PRETTY but I don't expect anyone else to do what I do. I don't care if someone thinks of it as more than just a doll or whatever either - that's their business.

2) What about people who buy the doll and then just leave it in its box (where it is safe from any physical harm) and look at it once in a while? Do you think that constitutes a valid "enjoyment" of the doll?

Sure. I just sit mine in the corner and I'm satisfied with that. If someone wants to re-enact all of the Uncharted or Tomb Raider games with their doll, too, that's also fine. Whatever makes people happy!

Although the thought of a limited doll being thrown over the roof of a house (something I used to do to fast food toys) makes me cringe, I'm not going to tell anyone they can't do that, and I don't care if they do. It's definitely not something I plan on doing though.

4) Do your answers change if it's a fullset doll that comes with everything, so there's no need to customize, buy clothes, or get a faceup and wig for the doll?

If I had a fullset doll, I would likely keep it intact since I paid for the fullset and obviously must have wanted it that way, but I don't care what anyone else does. I'd wonder why they didn't just buy the blank version if they were going to change everything, but that's all.

4) Do your answers change if it's a lot of dolls? For purposes of the question, let's assume that "a lot" of dolls means approximately 10 dolls or more.

No, I don't see how the number of dolls changes anything.

4. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

- Buy or make really nice clothing for the doll (i.e. best you can afford)? Nope! I mean, you certainly should if that's what you want to do but you can dress your doll however you like. Personally? I tend to spend a fair amount on doll clothes. I figure, expensive doll, expensive clothes. But, it's not like it's a requirement for others!

Nah. I never have. I paint most of my dolls myself. I'm by no means an expert. Again, if it enhances your enjoyment to have them professionally painted, then go for it. If you'd rather DIY it- do it up! Amateur or no- everyone has to start somewhere.

I do all these thing- well, save for the hugging part. Dolls are very pointy and hard. But if someone collects dolls so they can display them in a cabinet and that's that- it's perfectly valid, imo.

2) What about people who buy the doll and then just leave it in its box (where it is safe from any physical harm) and look at it once in a while? Do you think that constitutes a valid "enjoyment" of the doll? I mean, I keep mine in a closet so they're safe from the sun. I don't see anything wrong with keeping them in their boxes if that's what makes you happy!

Nope. Have at it.

Nope!

4) Do your answers change if it's a lot of dolls? For purposes of the question, let's assume that "a lot" of dolls means approximately 10 dolls or more.
      I have...um...a lot more than 10 and I don't see why it would make a difference.

5. 1) Setting the above two issues (scalping and damaging dolls), is there anything else that you feel someone who buys dolls should or should not be doing with them that constitutes proper "enjoyment" or "appreciation" or "love" for the doll? Do you feel that people are obligated to do any of the following?

- Buy or make really nice clothing for the doll (i.e. best you can afford)? If it makes you happy to that, then go for it. Me, having everyone dressed in very fancy clothes all the time makes me nervous! XD Beside, if making little sock hoodies or pajama pants makes you happy, then go for it too!

Again, if it makes *you* happy to send a doll off to be painted, then by all means do so. But if faceups are something that you like to do, then do it! How else will you ever get better? :3

No one is obligated to "do" anything with their dolls that doesn't make them happy. I like to things with my doll because it makes me happy, not because of any perceived community expectation.

2) What about people who buy the doll and then just leave it in its box (where it is safe from any physical harm) and look at it once in a while? Do you think that constitutes a valid "enjoyment" of the doll? Sure! I need to have most of my dolls out where I can see them, and they have yellowed and mellowed because of it. I don't feel like this makes me an unworthy doll owner, so why should someone who wants to keep them in the box be unworthy either?

No. I have limiteds in among even the least expensive and bog-standard of my dolls.

No. The fullset that I have gotten, I only wanted for the body and the "bonus" head. Sometimes it's just the sculpt that someone is trying to get, and the rest of the fullset is of no interest.

Nope. 1 doll or 100, people are free to enjoy their dolls in their own fashion. <3