1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Others Handling Your Dolls

Sep 7, 2018

1. I haven't really had a doll that long but I think I'd let my family (with exceptions of my cousins (just very entitled ..all of them) and my son (only 1)) hold them and probably anyone at a doll meet, I don't think I could let anyone else just because I am worried they won't understand how careful I'd like them to be an how much they are worth

2. I've let people at meets and close friends handle my dolls. Just to chime what some other people said, as long as they are mature and understand the value, monetary and sentimental, then I feel comfortable with it.

3. Due to all my current dolls having face plates, I don't usually let other people hold them unless I know for sure that they are going to be carefully. I myself have flung a few faces in my day lol

4. Big nope for me, I don't really like it when people put their hands on my dolls, I don't know where they've been. BJD collectors, maybe. Anyone else, including family, is a no... I love them but I get really bad anxiety about it since they aren't familiar with the hobby - it's me, not them, I know my dolls can handle it but... :sweat

5. The only qualm I'd really have is handing off one of my dolls with intricately hand-styled hair... my method for holding it in place is really resilient, but I'm always afraid the slightest breeze will ruin my hard work.

Still, everyone who has ever handled my dolls is 80x more careful with them then I am, so I probably shouldn't worry about it lol

6. I don't really disclose to those in my life the cost of my dolls, so many see them as just toys. Luckily most people don't try to handle my dolls either. I don't let any of my kid family members even in my bedroom because I have multiple breakable things in there. My grandmother has handled my dolls before, but she collects porcelain dolls and was pleasantly surprised to find that mine are more durable than hers. (I think she wants one now even.) Haven't had the chance to attend a doll meet yet, but I'd probably let those I met handle my dolls before I let most of my family.

7. For me, it depends very much on the person. I'm not overly precious about them, but I also don't want them to be damaged, so I gauge how the person will behave with it and make sure they know my dolls are more expensive and less resilient than playline dolls before handling them. But I'll regularly let people at meets or convention panels handle my dolls, especially if it gets them interested in BJDs in general, or a particular company (my DollPamm girl is quite popular!). Similarly, I'll let people in other settings look closely or, if they seem responsible enough, handle with some limits, but most of the time they'll decline once they're made aware of the general cost of them.

8. I probably will only let ppl who knows what they are handling.

9. I don’t mind my family holding or moving them. I sometimes tell my mum to be a bit more careful, but really I’m glad my family are very accepting of the dolls being around the house. My nephews have handled the dolls, but they’re older now and not greatly interested now they’ve seen them a few times. They were mildly curious when the dolls first arrived but they’re good kids and were careful when I explained so no issues. My parents sometimes have to move them if they’re in the way downstairs, & don’t ask me, they’ll just move the dolls to sit somewhere safe.

Outside of my family, I’m a bit more wary. While I’m not very delicate with the dolls myself - they are essentially there to be posed, modified, dressed and otherwise messed around with - I think I’d be very irritated if a stranger damaged one, and it’s not worth the row.

I’m much more careful with some than others, so company face ups are protected more than my own, expensive dolls more than their cheaper buddies, and the ones with body blushing even more so (gah, chips). But mostly if people I know relatively well want to have a hold of the dolls, I’m okay with it.

10. I only let some of my friends and bf handle my dolls, even when my friends play with them, i have to watch! lol

11. because i have a doll owner friends, the only people i let handle my dolls are people i know have dolls themselves and understand the preciousness of dolls. i don't even let my family touch my dolls. expecially my younger brother

12. I’m fine with it as long as they understand it’s a little bit more than just holding a Barbie lol. It’s mostly just my friends being curious so they’re very careful and know not to be too rough. My stepsister also likes dolls so I’ve shown mine to her but I ask her to be very careful and she’s good at it! She’s very gentle so I’m alright with it.

13. I'm the type who will go 'here hold Victoria' or more lately it is 'here hold Rhiannon' when people express interest in my dolls - but this is usually at conventions or doll meets where I view my roll as ambassador of BJDs. I do the lecture of 'she's heavier than she looks' and 'please don't touch the face', but generally trust people to be respectful. I haven't had people grab them without asking in public though when I'm in public its usually a two-person job so that there is always someone playing spotter.

14. It depends in my opinion. I would never let an immature child hold my doll but in the past i have let children touch my doll only if i am holding it. I am careful to see if the child is clean or not as well. she is a smart doll so she is not very likely to break. I have let strangers hold my doll but this was a one time occurrence and not something i will do again.

15. I'm pretty cool with people handling my dolls. I probably wouldn't hand my most expensive one over to a young child or something, but once I'm reasonably certain they'll be careful enough, sure. Even more so at meets. I had taken some dolls to a meetup and a fellow collector was taking pics of them and was asking if she was allowed to pose them and I just kinda shoved my boy in her face like "what'choo waitin for?", not really getting what she was asking for (even though I wouldn't touch others' dolls without their permission either).

I think part of the reason for that is that my dolls are by no means the most expensive things in my household that get moved / carried around a lot. My least expensive instrument is still more expensive than my least expensive doll. My most expensive instrument probably cost more than all of my dolls put together, I dunno. That's when I get nervous about people handling my stuff. (Confession time - I won't even let people hold a bag that has my flute in it. I know they're not gonna run off with it, and I know it's safe in its case, but still. Feels like I'm handing over my soul.) So yeah, compared to that - letting people handle my dolls is ok. :XD:

16. In the past I used to let people handle my dolls at meetups. Unfortunately after a few situations where my dolls were mishandled by doll owners of all people, I generally don't allow people to touch them anymore. If I let you hold them now, you're someone I trust.

17. I'm a nervous nelly so I only let family and close friends handle my doll! I especially wouldn't feel comfortable with strangers holding him... but if I was at a doll meet up someday, I might consider it depending on how trustworthy they seem!

18. Never had a family member express much interest in holding my dolls which I don’t mind. I let my friends hold them because they’re even more careful than I am and listen to my requests without fighting me on it. I guess I wouldn’t let the average Joe handle them just because I doubt they’d realize how expensive dolls can be, but then again that’s never been a problem for me since I don’t take my dolls out in public or leave them in plain sight. If I ever got a doll with delicate parts I’d probably be more protective. I think it’d be for the best since if a friend broke a doll they’d be just as heartbroken as I would be.

19. I generally don't mind as long as people just ask first. It's really jarring to just see someone... reach out and touch/grab a doll though.

20. I'm not comfortable with someone grabbing an expensive art doll that you handle carefully yourself as the owner. It's just too easy for an accident to happen that way. I guess if they take instruction first that would be o.k. But I would rather grab a jointed MTM Barbie for them to try instead of a resin Bjd as my first choice. It is kind of sweet to see people who upon seeing your doll love it on first sight so much their arms come out wanting to hug it unconsciously.