1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Others Handling Your Dolls

Sep 7, 2018

1. Try Comparison Heaven 2.0
      My fiancé and I will be working on the site and testing who still can’t access on which devices/browsers.

2. I'm iffy on it, mostly because of their faceups and body blushing. I changed Juliet's skin color almost entirely to blue, and although I trust my sealant, and its (probably excessive) three coats, it still makes me anxious, considering how hard it would be to fix those gradients.

The same goes for Rain, who fades to three different colors of green. Foxen is a little different, but because his color is so "splotchy" and blotted on, it would be even more of a pain to fix. His face is also the first I ever did, so it's special to me.

I haven't even given Athena a base coat of sealant yet, she's just bare straight from the company, so with her I'm more concerned about general finger grease, and I try to keep even my own handling of her to a minimum because I always feel like I'm leaving nasties on her. For all of them except her, though, I would let anybody I personally trust handle them, as long as they didn't try and move their position, which is more of a personal nitpick, since I take a lot of time making them look as natural as possible. Well, as natural as an ice themed resin doll can be :XD:

3. It works! I’m so happy I can use it again! Thank you~~

4. Oof... I guess I don't really know. I might let friends or family, but I don't need to worry too much about that since none of them have ever really wanted to hold one.

5. The extent to which people handle my dolls is literally just my doll-friendly friend (lol) holding one at convention or helping me move them. No one I know really expresses interest in playing with them except my little cousin (9 years old). However, she does not get to touch them because she isn't careful with anything. I nearly died when she put her dirt-covered fingers on one of my doll's faceups X'O

6. I don’t let just anybody handle my doll since it is very special to me. I’m okay with my immediate family and close friends handling them since they know their worth and are careful. Other than that, then no.

7. I don’t mind people touching or playing with my dolls, but I do find that my friends are scared they’ll break them or ruin the outfits if they do anything rough. So I’m usually the only one that poses them. I’d probably be the one to break them because I posed them in a silly way and they fell over.

8. I would let others handle my dolls as long as they knew their value (not necessary the price tag just how much they mean to me). I don’t think I’d let them handle my limited edition dolls though and I don’t think I’d ever let children touch any of my dolls. Not that that’s a problem since I don’t know any children. :XD:

9. I honestly would not let a stranger or friend touch my dolls since they might accidentally scratch the faceups or drop my doll and I couldn’t risk having that happen haha my dolls are too precious to me!><

10. I always let others handle my dolls if they ask politely first. All people who came to me and asked for permission to take my dolls held them very carefully, not touching their faces. Otherwise, when people are trying to grab my dolls not paying attention to me I get really angry and never let such persons touch my dolls. And I was greatly surprised by the fact that most people who are used to doing this are in BJD hobby too and know perfectly well how fragile and expensive dolls are.

11. I personally am not a fan of people touching my dolls. If someone I knew asked nicely and I saw them wash there hands then I would consider it. :XD:

12. Yeah I don't really care. As long as your hands are clean, you're more than welcome to handle my doll! I'm probably the most relaxed out of all of my doll friends. I even let kids play with my dolls. :lol: My experience with kids has actually been the exact opposite of all of the horror stories I've read. They're always so gentle and treat the dolls like they're made of glass. It's adorable.

Funnily enough, as fine as I am with handling other people's dolls, I hate doing it myself. I know a lot of people are emotionally attached to their dolls and that what might be a small purchase for one person might be a big purchase for another. There's also super fragile outfits, faceups done by people who no longer offer faceups, dolls that love to flop and snap, etc. I really don't like having that responsibility, so I always decline when offered. @_@

13. When I am out for a dollie meet up, in general those who are there are allowed to handle my doll because I know they are used to BJDs and proper care. Nevertheless, people always ask me first before touching my doll. I always say yes, but stand close by just incase the dollie gets kicky legs and goes flying head first (which happens sometimes). If its children, that makes me uneasy and I wouldn't be comfortable with kids handling my dolls.

14. I would not mind friends and family who know a little about them holding them. What I mean by that, is that they know how fragile and expensive they are. They would hopefully handle them with care and respect then. I don't think I would let strangers hold them except for ones at a meet or conversation and that would still take some thought from me. I am still in the learning stage and would be scared something would happen to them that I don't know how to fix. I was on a plane with one of my little ones and a little girl next to me saw her one time. She asked if she could see her. I told her sure but she could not come all the way out of her bag since she had to be ready for the flight. Lol. She loved seeing her and asked to tell her bye after we landed. Her mom asked some questions and maybe she now has one of her own!

15. All my close friends know how much my dolls mean to me and how careful I am with them and I'd trust them to handle just about any of my dolls. My brother and my dad I think I'd trust because they bother understand like collectibles and how important they can be to the collector, but I'm not sure on my mom? She doesn't really understand things like this lol

16. It's very much a depends kinda thing. I remember when I first joined there was a young lady in our group who did pannels and she'd let anyone hold her dolls. She always pointed out how sturdy they were and that people shouldn't treat them like they're made of glass.
      It made me more comfortable handling mine, but I'm still nervy about letting others hold them. Mostly because they're tiny, so they'd be easy to throw in a purse and walk off.
      I'm not the best judge of character so I tend not to let strangers in open areas hold them. If it's a room and I'm between them and the exit I might let people hold them.
      I have let my 3 year old hold my soom alk when he was sitting down. He loves birds so much, but I was right there and it was a quick hold and look before I put her away

17. Not much people know about my dolls (only my family and my closest friends) but my main rule is that no one touches them unless they properly ask for it first or I tell them to (in case I need help with stringing for example). I do not worry that they could hurt them or anything, it's just that no one shows that much interest anyway.

I have this horror story in which one of my youngest cousins (5 years) saw one of my dolls sitting in my desk (he should have been inside the cabinet but I had just taken him out for a quick fix of his wig) and he grabbed him by the head (precisely by the head) and at that moment I almost had a heart attack. Lucky for me, his hands were clean and it was no disaster but... From that day, I'm much careful whenever someone comes to visit.

18. I don't mind others holding my doll as long as they ask for permission. I've even let my 4 yr old and 2 yr old cousin hold my doll (under my supervision and after they have washed their hands). I let them know that they have to be careful and that they should not touch the face so it doesn't ruin the face-up and they were surprisingly very gentle with my doll. If I notice them starting to move my doll more roughly or carelessly, I just tell them it's enough playtime and put my doll away where they can't reach it.

Perhaps I'm not as worried because so far the people I run into are curious but a little creeped out by it, so they would rather not even touch my doll. And those who do want to touch or hold it, never have seen any doll like a BJD before and so they try to be extra careful with it since they're not familiar BJDs work.

19. I don't mind handing most of my dolls to people, but I make sure that their hands are clean, and that they know that "this isn't a kid's toy you're holding. These are collectors dolls meant for us adults to "play" with."

I also tell them to not touch the face, as even though it is painted on and sealed, touching it can damage it. I also make sure that I keep a close eye on whomever is holding them, and that they don't put them in a dangerous place, such as on the edge of a table. Of course, I also have dolls that I won't let anyone outside of the hobby touch.

Ryuichi is my "here, hold him, he's heavier than he looks" doll. He means the world to me, but he's also my BJD ambassador. I've handed him to curious people so they can see how heavy a BJD is. I've also handed him to people new to the hobby, along with a pile of clothes and said, "he needs a clothes change, do you mind?" They usually end up getting a doll soon after doing so!

Ryu

#139 Ryuichi Sakuma 13, Oct 8, 2019
      Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
    20. I keep my dollies at home and almost never take them outside. But one time I did take my Juan with me to a store. It was midnight so almost no one was there. Just employees staring judgmently.

Otherwise only my mom and younger brother can touch my dolls. I practically shove my dolls into my brother's hands any chance I get. With my mom I'm more careful and watchful. Making sure she's doing it right and not going to drop them. She also has a thing about being super proud of what I do with my dolls. So she always shows them to her boyfriend when he visits. And I'm following her around the whole time making sure she doesn't hand them over to him. I know she never would, but I still get anxiety thinking about it! :sweat