1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Others Handling Your Dolls

Sep 7, 2018

1. I let other doll people touch my dolls. I might let an interested stranger touch my dolls if I were in a friendly environment. It depends on the person and the place where I am.

2. It depends. I let family, my fiancée, and close friends touch/hold/dress up my doll. However, I have some friends I don't trust with my doll, as I know they don't take it seriously. I also allow my doll to be touched and held at BJD meetups, since they are all doll owners. I bring him with me to my crochet club meetings, and they can hold them as well, especially since we are sitting for it.

I almost never let strangers touch my dolls. However, there have been a couple occasions where I have allowed fascinated children to hold him while sitting. They have all been so careful and gentle, and I keep a hand close by to catch him just in case.

3. I had to get me and my daughter our own dolls cause It made me so nervous everytime she would touch mine. She's 11, but very figety so I'm always scared she will unintentionally break something.

4. Though it's lot of fun to share the experience of dolls with people, I've gotten specific about what circumstances and who when it comes to others holding my dolls. There's just a tense feeling I get letting others hold them, especially if they seem too rough with the doll. This subject has become a point of contention with my family, who I live with; they see it as standoffish and rude to not let others interact with the dolls when I share them, while I just want to avoid any possible mishaps.

5. I can show interested parties my dolls, I don't allow anyone to really touch my dolls. It's a personal thing. The only people who have the ability at the moment are my dear friend when I go to visit her in Japan, and my S.O. I've never been to bjd cons or meet ups so I have yet to have that be a criteria.

6. I generally dont like people touching my dolls. There are only a select few I would allow to touch them, thats only after they know they're worth, and how I would prefer them to hold them. I've seen someone hold my doll almost like a rag doll and slightly sling her around, and I almost had a panic attack.

7. I do not like it when others touch my doll, mainly because they do not know how to handle them. They want to touch their faces and such, and I get really nervous when they do that. Even more so when I see they do not know how to hold them and I feel like they are going to fall and break, that’s why I do not let anyone besides myself touch them. Maybe if one day I go to a meetup or something, I might let other bjd collectors hold them, but only because they know how to handle dolls and where to touch and where not to touch (ex. face).

8. I let other dolly peeps handle them for the most part. Other than my partner, there isn't really much family, but I'd only let them touch them once I explained not to touch their face.
      But for the most part, not really anyone else.

9. At meets/conventions I'm pretty chill about letting people handle my dolls because I know everyone present knows how to treat them-- sometimes it's someone asking to pose one of mine with theirs for photos, or to rearrange a group shot where they have a better reach than I do. With Marigold, I've had a couple people who were excited to check out her body in person because they'd been considering purchasing one of the little deer dolls. But the general public I would NOT be so chill with. It's very situational.

10. I only let friends touch them, my boyfriend generally doesn’t want to touch them which is fine with me because he doesn’t really get their value anyway lol. I don’t let anyone touch my Soom Dia specifically though. It’s just he’s really old and his body is chipped in some places and I don’t want to risk more damages. It won’t be like that though when he one day gets a new body.

11. I don't mind my friends and family handling them as long as they wash their hands beforehand; I also tell them not to touch the dolls' faces. Some of my friends have shown interest in them, and although I asked if they wanted to handle them they were actually scared to do so! They were afraid they would break the doll somehow, which is valid, though I think they believe the dolls are as fragile as porcelain or something :sweat Still, I trust them to handle my dolls because they're very careful with their own collections and treat their belongings very well. So if one day my friends do feel comfortable in wanting to handle the dolls, I'd be happy to let them! :)

12. Only two people have ever handled my dolls. One was my best friend, who also has two BJDs, and the other was the 5 year old daughter of another friend. I let Evie hold one of my minifees because I had witnessed how she played with her own Barbies, and she is a very gentle careful little girl. She did a wonderful job holding my minifee. She cradled it tenderly and asked intelligent questions about her. She was enthralled that the hands and feet were magnetic, and she teased me by sneakily taking the feet off and putting them back on the wrong legs. We had a good giggle about that. Of course I made sure she washed her hands before I let her hold my doll. I don't regret that experience. It was delightful..

I would be nervous about anyone else touching my dolls, unless I knew they respected my belongings in general. It's not a problem however, because my dolls are in my bedroom and my friends rarely come in here.

#172 ParlourGoddess, Jul 8, 2022
      Last edited: Jul 13, 2022
    13. I’m okay with people I trust touching my dolls, and as long as they ask to touch I’ll let them. If I see them doing something I’m not comfortable with I will correct them immediately. My friends and family aren’t really doll people so while they find them pretty I don’t think they’re very comfortable touching my dolls at all lol. My sister really loves my doll and we’re twins so I let her hang out with my doll even if I’m not there. As long as the person is respectful I will always let them indulge in the experience that is handling a cool doll!

14. I don't think very many people have handled my dolls. Most of my dolls haven't been handled by anyone but me. They're in a display case, so they look very "off-limits" to those that do see them. But if someone I trusted did want to handle them, I'd just ask them to wash their hands first.

15. I’m still new to the hobby, so I haven’t really had any instances of taking my doll out and about (and I’m not sure I would apart from meetups with other collectors), but I think the only person I’d really trust to handle my dolls is my husband - he seems genuinely interested in them and understands their value, so I know he would be careful. He can be a bit clumsy which makes me a little nervous, lol, but I’d definitely let him have a go at it at least once.

16. I will be moving at the end of this summer, and will be living with my brother and his family. My sister in law is enthusiastic about me bringing my doll collection to "live" with them. She has never seen my dolls however, and doesn't know anything about BJDs. They run their home as an air bnb, with guests renting rooms and using the common areas such as the kitchen, dining and living rooms. My sister in law wants me to display my dolls in the china cabinet in the dining room. I said a resounding NO!. I told her I need to keep my dolls in my room and to keep the room locked when I'm not there, if there are strangers in the house, I would be terrified of anyone handling my dolls without my permission or when I can't supervise. The thought of having my dolls in a common area of the house, would scare the poo out of me.

17. What a horrible experience for you. That mother was way out of line. Some people have no empathy at all.

18. The only person I let touch my dolls is my other doll loving friend. She's the only one who really understands their worth so she's very careful

19. Generally I only let my mother, grandmother, and father handle my dolls aside from myself. However, there was one time I carried a DD with me into Walmart and a younger girl (10-12 I think?) asked about her and I let her hold the doll for a bit. RIP her parents if she remembered what they were called long enough to ask for one for Christmas :lol:

20. NO!! definitely not..no one handles my ladies only one doll I have that my wife handles because we did agree to buy her together. But me myself is always very careful when I handle them myself I still haven't got over the fear of how delicate they are