1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Painful priorities

Apr 6, 2019

1. I'm always saving up for something, so I rarely have extra extra funds for surprise purchases. (Yep, I don't use credit cards) What usually happens is I am saving up for a trip when suddenly a rare doll will turn up second hand. I try to keep my eye on the bigger goal and tell myself that doll X will come up again at a better time. This has usually been the case, so I stick with it. If it's meant to be I will eventually land the doll.

(also it's okay to mention off topic dolls and show them in pics with on topic dolls, they just cannot be the focus of conversation and images)

2. I get that :sweat
      It happens all of the time ://///////

3. I know the feeling. Almost all of my favorite Doll Chateau sculpts got discontinued last month, it got announced right after I'd spent my Christmas/birthday money on something else. (Oddly enough, a long discontinued doll I really wanted, so I don't feel too bad.) I don't own a credit card and savings is for emergencies or vacations, not hobby money so coming up with $600+ in under two months was just out of the question. So, sadly, I had to watch soooo many beautiful sculpts get discontinued and now if I ever get one, I'll have to find her secondhand. I could have gone for a layaway, but my hobby money really only comes in at random, like if I sell something else or get unexpected cash from somewhere, not anything that I can guarantee a certain amount on a certain day, and I'd really hate to default on a layaway.

It sucks, but sometimes, it's just the better choice to let the doll get away, and try to hunt her down later when finances allow. :(

4. It sucks when it happens.
      Still, in my own experience most dolls that I really regret not getting find their way to my house in a roundabout way at some point...

5. I know this feeling. My favorite artist Lillycat will do a preorder for her new doll Charly this year. In the facebook group she said it will be later in the year, so I am happy I could save up a bit. Buuuut Supiadoll now has Sarah, and this girl is sooo beautiful, so I am thinking of doing a Layaway. But I am not sure yet. I could buy her later, too. I am torn and I really don’t like it, when I am in this situation. So my solution is Mary Kondo Style: keep and buy what makes you really happy, so I wait. And if I want the doll after some time, I buy her. And I sell all the dolls I don’t love ( like non Bjds):lol:

6. Yes. I had to pass on owning a Soom Sard because Iplehouse Luo was being discontinued during the same month. It was a tough decision. Sard was, at one point, a grail to me, but I have reshelled the idea for his character into a different doll and had no character left for him, whereas I had an idea who the Iplehouse Luo was. Now that I've almost finished work on the doll that replaced my plans for Soom Sard, I don't know how I ever saw him as Sard in the first place, so I guess it worked out for the best.

Right now, I'm feeling it again though it's more just my plans are being messed up. I *was* supposed to be putting a downpayment on a layaway for one of my last two bodies for my floating heads. I had plans to finish getting bodies for the heads before getting any more dolls... then Dollzone swoops in with a discontinuation notice for not just one head, not just two heads, but THREE heads that I had my sights on. UGH, there goes my plans.

7. Ugh. I've been ungodly lucky these past 2 years. I have spent a ton of money but I've always managed to comeback from the brink of disaster, when it came to irl and my dolls. I have bought a lot of them this year alone. So I have been fortunate. Recently though, way too many problems have arose one after another and my finances are just so bad....What sucks even more there's a Volks F-15 I've been dying to get my hands in one of the markets I stalk and the price Isn't one I can swing this time around. Never mind the Volks Lucia Full set I saw recently and know that I can't so much as even touch her. I am trying to get by with the monies situation, and do it as quietly and quickly as I can. I know markets are revolving doors, but god damn its hard to look away while you handle real world awfulness.

8. Following up on this: the way I was raised was like, credit cards are the devil, don't touch them. But what I've found out is that, as an adult if you want to get something like a mortgage or a car/sofa/kitchen on a "layway" etc, they do a credit check. And it can be very difficult if you have no credit history to then demonstrate that you're a reliable person to take a chance on.

So one of my more financially savvy friends has a credit card which she puts purchases on, when she doesn't really need to use credit, in order to clear them & build up a "good credit history".

Depending on your age, and also you could only do this if you *knew* you could meet the monthly repayments (because what you absolutely don't want is a bad credit score, period) - a credit card could be a valid option. One which would help you get the doll & build for your financial future as well

(But again, only if you know with 110% certainty that you're able to meet the commitment)