1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Paypal sending 1099-Ks to USA sellers who received over $600

Feb 4, 2018

1. I have to disagree about the scalper part, a little bit... I think it would help maybe with Volks lottery items... but even then, that's so much profit some scalpers make that the itemization and profit vs tax value might still be pennies to them, since I think the profit margin is often in the hundreds, if not more, of dollars per item. I'm not sure if that would dissuade them, unless it would put them into an income bracket with higher taxes or something.

Most BJD companies make it intentionally cheaper parts-wise to buy a full doll over parts. A full Doll Leaves is like $159 for a MSD, the heads are like $48, but the body alone is worth around $128. Even if I offer someone a good deal without Doll Leaves' long waiting time, it would be easy to see me making a "profit" if I sold a doll head for $40 that I bought as a full doll, I think?

The way I interpret it, if you receive in $600 in any payments that's not F&F, you'll have to itemize everything and keep those receipts for a few years. So that one minifee fullset split and a couple of other sales could put someone right into that territory, and make them consider: a) what they split and if they'd rather just pay extra to join someone else's split or b) breaking paypal's ToS and requiring F&F payments, otherwise that split and a few sales could make them have to put a lot more work into itemizing everything, keeping receipts, etc. and then storing this information for at least a few years. I know you're suppose to pay tax on hobby stuff already when you meet certain thresholds, so I guess this holds more people to be accountable, but it's not a hard threshold to hit and then have to prove you didn't make a profit... Like I had $3,000 in "sales" from buying and then selling a doll I didn't jive with since I am a bit of a rotating door, but I'd be surprised if I made 10% or more of than - eg, $300 - in actual profit throughout the whole year, since I generally try to either break even or make a tiny profit when I can.

Hobbies cannot have deductions for materials anymore (since 2018), from my understanding, either, so you cannot deduct for shipping supplies either. When you have to buy them, shipping supplies add up, too - I had to buy $50 worth of ULINE boxes for when I sell most MSD dolls, since I paid basically $2.11 per box when it would otherwise cost me $8+ per box if I bought it from UPS, and at least those boxes should theoretically last me a few years. I just spent $30 or so at Walmart for a big roll of bubblewrap and a sizeable roll of packing paper. That's already $80 worth of shipping supplies there, and that's not including all of the tape I use too, which adds up since I tape the crap out of everything I sell, but I just eat that cost from whatever "profits" I make from the hobby. (or... that's what I mentally tell myself, though it may very well be coming out of my pocket directly)

I am a secretary's assistant so filing receipts is nothing new to me, but yeesh. The hobby vs business is really confusing to me, too - I believe if your hobby makes profits for so many tax years, you have to file as a business. If your business makes a loss for so many tax years, you have to file as a hobby. You could make a pitiful profit on selling some bjd stuff and potentially have to file as a business, if I understand correctly...? It's weird. I may be overthinking it though. ^^;

I am most familiar with Fairyland sales too and that's what I was thinking... if we just take a doll doll price - body retail price, a minifee head is theoretically only worth $32...

2. Well, now that I think about it, whether or not you selling secondhand dolls is hobby vs business is a moot point, because if you're literally selling your own dolls that you bought to personally enjoy, it isn't either one. It's "online garage sales". :sweat So you only need to worry about that if you buy dolls with the express purpose of reselling them to make money (which is a business, unless the profits are too measly. In which case it still isn't a hobby either because you didn't buy the dolls for your enjoyment, you bought them to make a profit.)

Assuming that you don't buy and sell dolls with the intention of making a profit- if you receive over $600 in non-F&F payments, you don't actually HAVE to do anything. You should keep all your receipts (or some kind of record if there are no receipts) in case the Department of Taxes comes around asking. But there is a very good chance that they won't. Say the IRS sent you a letter about that $3000 you made from doll sales, asking why you didn't report that on your taxes. You'd have to find the receipts from when you bought all of those dolls and add them up. Then you'd add up all the shipping you paid when you mailed them to your buyers, and all the shipping supplies you bought in order to do that. You'd also add up all the Paypal fees. Theoretically, you'll add these three sums together and it will be more than $3000. No profit, and the IRS should leave you alone. Now I'm not sure whether they'd just take your word for it or if they demand copies of all your receipts/records right off the bat, since this is new and hasn't happened to anyone yet. But anyway, merely keeping all of your receipts and records (of splits, etc) isn't that much extra work. The extra work comes IF the IRS/Department of Taxes asks you about it and/or audits you. I do think the mere idea of being audited and possibly having to do all that work will scare a lot of people and they will reconsider how they sell their dolls. I hope it doesn't lead to more people asking for personal payments, though it probably will...

BTW, in your example with the Doll Leaves MSD, you can provide the information in such a way to your advantage. These tax people are not going to go research BJDs to fact check you. So in this example, you would say that you bought a full doll for $159, then later sold the head for $40. The tax guys have no idea that DL sells bodies for $128, and you shouldn't tell them that. Instead you'll tell them DL sells heads for $48. Not only did you sell yours for $8 less than that, you also paid Paypal fees and you had to buy packing materials to mail it, making it even more of a loss. :thumbup

3. I talked about this on another doll forum I belong too and if you have sold on eBay over $600 using a third party service (PayPal *&^&%$) you get that 1099 form in the mail and they report it to the IRS as well. So yeah I was not only mad, but I broke even and did not owe the government anything. I won't be selling my fashion dolls on eBay again cause I don't want PayPal to send me another form in the mail again. I had to also list how much each doll was originally and what it sold for. So that was a pain in the ass! Also I am in Virginia so us Commonwealth got it too.

4. @derilan85 Oh are they sending it to the IRS now too? The past couple years Paypal only sent the 1099 to the state tax departments because the federal threshold was still $20,000.

May I ask where you entered the sales & original doll costs on your taxes? I'm just interested in keeping track of how/if people report these sales so that if anyone gets harassed by the tax guys later, we'll know what worked and what didn't. In 2018 I called the IRS and they suggested I put the sales on on Schedule D, Capital Assets. I did it and I never got any complaints, though it all just felt stupid so since then I haven't reported my doll sales at all (no complaints about that either, so far). :shudder

5. I went to Jackson Hewiit and they did my taxes and they entered everything for me, sad cause the guy had to call his manager to find out about the PayPal 1099 and they had no clue as to what to put it under. I spent 2 hrs at that place with my husband cause we don't file jointly. I get my money he gets his and we are both happy cause my bank is different from his. Anyway, the CPA had to ask me what each doll cost and how much I sold it for or if someone did a Buy It Now how much the final cost was. Where you enter that info I don't know I could not see the screen. I do know one thing, it was a trying time for me to sit there and think quickly cause all my sales were not saved until I checked my seller feedback on eBay to see what dolls I sold within 1 year. I sold a lot of my Fashion Royalty dolls ( still have a lot of them along with Tonner dolls too)

6. @overlordu & @derilan85 I hear you on all you have said. Thing is I did over $10,000 in sales that were to people who didn't know me well enough to pay me as F&F so it was a mess. I did an excel spreadsheet using the statements from Paypal and deleted all the donations to charity, all the buying I did and all the gift payments friends sent. I then had the amount PP said I recieved. From that I added colums and said what the person bought from me What I paid in fees to PP, to Ebay too as well as a column to what I paid for item. The tricky part was when people did layaway as I couldn't add shipping or what item(s) cost me until final payment. Since I do not sell to make a propfit, but just hoping not to loose to much I was shown I lost around $1500. Which is fine, but since hubby says the tax laws are not updated to what is going to soon happen in all states it had to be done as a business. So for us states that are the odd fellows just a warning to those in 2022 are going to be doing all this too. Sell now if you plan to as come 2022 you will have better forms hopefully, but also you get a free pass in 2021, something we missed out on.

7. I'm so glad I found this thread. I've actually been freaking out about it for next years tax filing season because I've been selling old figures and handmade doll's clothes this year. There were a lot of helpful tips in here and it was nice to know that I wasn't the only person freaking out about this.

8. The last relief package we got due to Covid had this new tax law put in so now every state will have this pain in the butt.

Just wanted to warn people about this bit of bad news.
      A provision in the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (aka the COVID relief bill) would put some people's online-selling activity in the crosshairs of the IRS.
      Some might say rightly so, but even people who sell their old stuff when cleaning out their basements and garages should sit up and take notice.
      If you use PayPal, eBay, Etsy, or any electronic form of payment processing to collect money from buyers, you will be impacted if the amount a single entity processes on your behalf exceeds $600.
      Many online sellers are familiar with IRS Form 1099K, which marketplaces and payment processors send out each January to sellers who've exceeded $20,000 in gross receipts when collected in over 200 transactions. (For example, if you process $21,000 in 199 different transactions in a single tax year, the payment processor is not required to file Form 1099K, though what thresholds each company employs in practice we don't know and may vary.)
      A provision the 2021 Rescue Plan Act would lower the threshold considerably - it would require companies to send a 1099K to sellers for whom they've processed over $600, period. In our reading of the bill's language, it appears if you sell $601 worth of items, even in a single transaction, the payment processor is required to file Form 1099K.
      The provision amends Section 6050W of the IRS tax code - the relevant language is contained in Section E:
      SEC. 9674. MODIFICATION OF EXCEPTIONS FOR REPORTING OF THIRD PARTY NETWORK TRANSACTIONS.
      (a) In General. - Section 6050W(e) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 is amended to read as follows:
      "(e) De Minimis Exception For Third Party Settlement Organizations. - A third party settlement organization shall not be required to report any information under subsection (a) with respect to third party network transactions of any participating payee if the amount which would otherwise be reported under subsection (a)(2) with respect to such transactions does not exceed $600.".
      It also states, "The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply to returns for calendar years beginning after December 31, 2021." (We think that means it won't apply to transactions processed in 2021 - stay tuned.)
      It might catch "consumer sellers" by surprise and, once understood, might discourage them from listing on sites like eBay, Etsy, Poshmark, and Mercari, and encourage them instead to seek out classifieds-style sites like Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace, where transactions are often handled in-person with cash payments.
      But the new provision may also impact casual sellers who do more than clean out their basements - even though they are supposed to report their earnings to the IRS whether they consider themselves "hobbyists" or not.
      IRS Form 1099K first applied to payment processing in tax year 2011 - it was crafted as part of the Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008, which included the provision as a mechanism to achieve a more precise tally of electronic transactions.
      Seven years later in 2018, some sellers got a big surprise when they received 1099Ks, even though they were under the 1099K threshold. It occurred after Massachusetts and Vermont had retroactively passed new laws requiring payment processors to file 1099Ks for sellers who processed at least $600 in 2017, and no matter how few the number of transactions they processed.
      Other states may have hopped on the bandwagon since then, and it comes as little surprise that a few years later the Feds may be joining the party.
      While Form 1099K isn't new, we published a refresher last month by tax guru Barbara Weltman: "What You Need to Know About 1099-K."
      With all the provisions of the new bill, this particular one has flown under the radar - we began hearing reports this weekend, including an article in Politico on how it may impact gig workers like Uber drivers.
      Note that freelancers have always had payments over $600 reported to the IRS from the companies hiring them via Form 1099-MISC.
      The House of Representatives passed the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 legislation on February 27, 2021 and the Senate passed a revised version on March 6, 2021. (We believe the provision impacting 1099Ks remained intact in the Senate version.) The bill goes back to the House, which must approve Senate changes before the legislation can be signed into law by President Biden.
      According to CNN, the bill includes some good news for small businesses such as funding for small-business loans and grants, as well as many other provisions, including aid to states and municipalities.

9. Yeah I assume this will have a chilling effect on used sales of all sort of things, not just dolls. If you do a personal payment on paypal do you know if it bypasses the 1099K?

10. It did for me last year. I am hoping it continues even though messages people leave sound like items being sold. I prefer to just have them say, here is what I owe you for lunch or that tab we split. But it's also better when they say have a good day or hope this helps.

11. The thing to keep in mind is that you won't owe taxes on doll sales if you made no profit. That means if anything you sell minus fees and shipping costs, comes out to be less than what you spent on that item plus shipping, you don't owe taxes on it. You only owe taxes on your profits, and most people selling secondhand dolls aren't making a profit.

If you made a profit, you are supposed to report that on your taxes as income. If you did not make a profit... well, it's still unclear whether you should report it or not. I did report it one year (and of course it didn't increase my taxes owed), and the following years I didn't report it (no complaints yet). Just because you are sent a 1099K by a payment processor does not mean you need to report the full amount of money on the form. Again, you are only meant to pay taxes on your profits. I was told by the IRS that it may look suspicious if you don't report anything from the 1099K, but in the worst case scenario they will ask you about it and you can prove that all of those sales were at a loss. As far as I know this has not happened to anyone (yet).

12. I reported a loss last year and will break even or make a small profit this year. If you can show a loss for three years in a row then the IRS will say you are a hobby. But not sure if that ends the 1099K business or what.

13. Right now, the 1099K would stick around because ebay/PayPal etc. won’t know that you are aren’t making a profit.

I’m actually interested to see if they add a code to the 1099-K so people can indicate to eBay etc. that it’s a second hand/garage sale transaction that didn’t make money because working through every discrepancy is going to be a lot of paperwork. At least if they are getting a 1099-K with that explanation, they can decide whether to go ask for more documents or not while knowing what the taxpayer’s explanation is but guess we will see.

14. Some people do sell dolls and other dolls related things for twice their value so, just because it's ebay and it's doll related it doesn't make it necessarily a loss. There's more big businesses now days than what was generally the yard sales, personal owner seller, or smaller business of years passed.

What ever amount you decide to put down, if you get a 1099 you better put it as income then you minus thecost of the goods, and expenses and then you will be able to see if profit or not. But if you get audited, you better be able to back it up Paper wise, the amounts you have there. Because no matter what their rep says on the phone, An auditor ( which is the one that truly counts) will only take what you can prove and in their eyes they are always right and you will need to prove them wrong if they disallow some expenses/things.

#54 Bren, Nov 15, 2021
      Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    15. For sure you’d still need to back up any declarations should they come knocking. They just haven’t given us a good form for reporting losses on sales of personal property that get on this 1099. It’d be nice if they did but I probably shouldn’t hold my breath haha

16. I am hoping as soon as the whole USA has to deal with this the form will get better. I for one have never profited much from a sale, on rare occasions I have been able to make back the face up costs. But I would say 95% of my sales is priced at a used price as if I tried to just break even most people I feel would think, then why don't I just buy a new one? Of course with the pandemic and certain companies taking a year or more, buying used saves a person a long wait, but is it worth the extra $$ I am asking?

17. Thanks for this thread - I returned to DoA with the intention of selling my bjds, and didn’t know about this. I really appreciate the time everyone’s taken to share info.

18. Reminding US sellers that this went into effect this January for states that were not previously impacted. So if you sell over 600 dollars in goods this year or beyond, and those transactions are through an online service, you will get a 1099K you'll need to reconcile with your 2022 taxes etc.

19. @vermaxen - do you know how long it takes to get the 1099K from PayPal?

I sold about $900 worth of dolls/doll parts (all at a loss so I won't owe anything for sure) this year, and I usually like to do my taxes early, so don't want to wait until April to receive the paper in the mail. These were purely PayPal transactions between me and the buyer - no Ebay in the middle, etc.

Thank you!

Edited to add: apparently you can access the information on your PayPal account but so far mine hasn't shown up yet. I'll keep an eye out for it!

20. @StellaMarigold according to my poking around various documents this is impacting the 2022 tax year so sales made in 2021 shouldn't matter if your state was not already using a similar tax law.

So you probably wouldn't see anything until 2023 so that you can complete your 2022 taxes.

Anyone else with more knowledge in this area feel free to correct me!