1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Paypal sending 1099-Ks to USA sellers who received over $600

Feb 4, 2018

1. You should be right. The rules kick in for 2022 and beyond so unless you’re in one of the unlucky states that had this rule before then you won’t see anything until 2023 unless your sales were over 20k.

In terms of when to expect a form in 2023, probably by mid February going off when I get 1099s from other places.

2. @vermaxen and @abs2891 - Oh, okay! That makes sense. I'll look up my state to see if it was counted for 2021.

3. I got mine this year as received email from PayPal that it was ready to download. I also downloaded my monthly statements so I could double check my math. Another year of losses, but don't want to mess up household taxes so going to make it so I broke even. I really wish they'd go after the rich and leave us all alone.

4. this will be for when you file in 2023 for 2022, afaik.

5. @Epona - Thank you! I'll remember this for next year then!

6. Yes be sure to keep receipts of everything you buy in case down the road you sell. Also keep a spreadsheet on when payments are made and what you paid in fees and shipping costs. Also I have learned double check each month your PayPal account to be sure you don't miss one. I got my PayPal k-1099 and saw they said Ivar received $250 more then my records showed. Saw I missed a couple, but what burned my biscuits was they also had the $75 payment I received but ended up refunding as I had size of doll wrong so I ended up paying tax on sale that didn't happen.

7. So this can get really complicated really quickly.

First: if you receive any form like a 1099-K or a 1099MISC, the IRS also received it. The IRS created the forms, and they require the forms be sent to you by a certain date. For 2022, you should receive your 1099-K by January 31, 2023 (scroll to the bottom).

How you report the amount on the 1099-K depends upon whether you are in the business of buying and selling dolls, or if this is just a hobby to you.

If you are in the business of buying and selling dolls - talk to your tax preparer. I'm not going to get into whether you are selling business assets or inventory, or depreciation, COGS, and all that.

If you are a hobbyist like me, here's what I suggest: Selling a doll is just like selling a piece of art. It's a collectible/capital asset, and that's how you report it. I recommend purchasing tax prep software from a company like Intuit, which offers free tax preparation advice from tax professionals as a service included with their software.

If you sold dolls or doll-related items, and you made a profit (you received more than what the item cost, aka basis), you report the sale on Schedule D, which is a summary schedule. You will need to fill out a Form 8949 listing each doll or doll item you sold. If you live in a state that requires income tax returns, you will have a state income tax return requirement. Same goes if you live in a town that imposes municipal taxes (yay, Ohio :roll:). There's a lot more to it (28% collectibles tax for people who make over $164K individually or $325K married filing jointly) - this is just a general summary. You may also owe sales tax (because you were supposed to charge the buyer sales tax) - so that's fun.

If you sold dolls or doll-related items, and you did not make a profit (you received less than what the item cost you), you will still need to fill out Schedule D and Form 8949 listing each doll or doll item you sold. HOWEVER, because this is a hobby, there's a rule called the hobby loss rule, and you CANNOT claim a loss on your return. So you cannot claim a capital loss, and there should be no negative numbers on your 1040 from losses from doll sales. You also cannot claim a loss on your state or local return.

Note: Schedule D and Form 8949 do NOT take into account the costs of shipping or customs/sales taxes you paid: only what you paid and what you received for the item you sold. That has to be reported somewhere else (taxes), or not at all (shipping).

Source: am IRS-certified tax preparer.

Small request: please, for the love of dog, do not use Jackson Hewitt or H&R Block. Those people generally get paid slightly more than minimum wage, and they've had maybe two weeks of training.

#67 MaleficentMrsofEvil, Feb 23, 2022
      Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    8. One additional note: switching to Friends and Family via PayPal (or using a peer-to-peer service) to get paid is not only a bad business practice (and a violation of PayPal terms of service), it's tax evasion. And tax evasion is a crime.
      Just throwing that out there.

9. If you do less that 600 in sales do you still get a form, or does no form get issued by Paypal?

10. no form

11. You do not get a form and PayPal won't issue one. But they expect you to check your account for any forms they will have sent.

12. Belated reply - yeah, the 2 out of 5 years loss/profit thing is for small businesses. If you do it for several years and don't show a profit, then they re-categorize it as a hobby, not a business. This is mostly for people who concurrently have been claiming every deduction they could possibly make, including "office" square footage in their homes, or car depreciation, etc.

Aside from dolls, where this gets hairy is selling off stuff you bought 20-30 years ago. Of course you spent a lot less to purchase it then than you would now. I have vintage glass beads - a package may have cost only $2 then; it would cost $4-$5 to buy the same thing now. I have to put some stuff on ebay soon - will make sure my listing template goes into the whole "from my own collection" condition, and save a copy of the page as documentation too.

#72 hobbywhelmed, Jul 15, 2022
      Last edited: Jul 15, 2022
    13. I am still going to have to deal with it as Illinois made it a rule/law.

14. I would check your state's law first. If your state started in 2021 you might be getting this break, but if your state implemented this before 2021 then most likely not getting break. We'll know come January if PayPal sends you an email to get your form.

15. Ah ha ha ha ha ha ha. I'm sorry. The IRS has no idea what it's in for. PayPal and eBay keep trying to explain, but they're just not listening...

16. I still think if you have a business account on PayPal or you sell on Ebay you should then get the forms. But if you are not a business or the old rule do over $10,000 in a year then yes you get the form. I have lost selling a doll quite a few times because I won't take a regular payment. Thank God for friends.