1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Permanent outfits vs Redressing

Nov 24, 2020

1. I enjoy sewing too much to have a single outfit for my dolls. That said, I don't change them as much as I should, but the options are still there.

2. I personally enjoy redressing my bjd from time to time. He’s a 70 cm man, almost always at my desk (which is now also my workplace) so I see him a lot :P Sometimes I like to have him fully displayed with his fullset while other times I prefer to have him sitting close to my keyboard in more casual clothing. (Something about it just gives me peace of mind!) Dolls are my comfort hobby so taking a bit of time to brush his hair and give him a change of clothes can be appreciated, specially now that the line between my free time and my work is getting more and more diffuse :P

3. I make most of what my crew wears, and all my girls have at least five outfits - spring/summer, autumn, winter, holiday, and dressy. They've all got signature colors for their casual wear (which is mostly what they hang out in), though they all have matching holiday tops and dressy outfits. Everyone gets their clothes changed when they look wrong for the outside temperatures. This year I have to make holiday tops and new jeans for the two littlest girls before I change everyone, so I need to get busy.

4. Omg I rarely change mine but think about it all the time. I usually spend ,u money on new dolls instead of new outfits....but it’s not just that, it’s just the time it takes and then fixing the wig so it sits perfectly on the head again. Ugh I just realized I’m lazy LOL

5. Each of my dolls has a unique style, and I like having outfits they can change into based on the seasons. Right now, my YOSDs are the most spoiled; they have the most clothing and all three of them have one or more complete outfit. I change them whenever I feel like it or when the seasons change.

6. I enjoy the idea of my dolls having lots of outfits, and I often window shop for clothing that would work for them, but in practice, once I've figured out what their aesthetic is, they mostly stay in one outfit, because the actual process of changing their clothes makes me pretty cranky and stressed. I feel a little bad about it, honestly.

7. I redress mine maybe once a month of so. Just whenever I get tired of whatever they are wearing. I do have outfits I like better than others and those usually stay a bit longer. Though a few are stuck in one outfit since I just don't have any others for them. Only exception is my dragon girl who is very vain about her beautiful body and refuses to wear anything at all. Luckily she has scales all over her so its ok. I only ever buy nude dolls, but If I liked a full set enough to buy it, Id keep them in that outfit.

8. I'm super picky with clothes, so even being able to settle on one full outfit is a miracle! If I find one I like, its staying on til hell or high water :XD:

9. I redressed my dolls more when I only had one.

But lately I do not change as much.

10. I don't collect fullsets, but I have very specific dedicated outfits put together for a lot of my dolls that they tend to stay in. Creatively I have a cartoon/character design background, so a lot of my dolls wear the same thing all the time like cartoon characters. Which I think is probably sort of boring to other people, but I like it.

Having said that, there are a few dolls that are allowed to have regular outfit changes. And my "permanent" outfits aren't truly "permanent"... if I find a new element that would improve their look I will certainly add it. :3nodding:

11. I love to see my dolls in different styles and wigs :loveThat’s why I have more than one dress. I have more outfits and wigs than dolls.:XD:

12. Could not agree more. Diversity in this hobby is vast, there is no "right" or "wrong" approach.
      Being relatively new to the hobby the idea of restricting a doll to one, no matter how amazing and gorgeous outfit or character, doesn't appeal to me at all. I came to hobby from photography background and am accustomed to work with professional models who can perform in front of the camera, play any role and change their appearance according to my creative ideas. I expect nothing less from my doll models :-)

On a practical side: I wish I could display my yet small but definitely growing collection, but due to lack of space they are kept in boxes in the last used outfit, changed into new one if/when needed for the next photo session.

13. It depends on the individual doll, here...

Some of my gang get redressed fairly often.
      Others have "one true outfit" that suits them so perfectly they never wear anything else.

14. I love sewing so I make my own BJD clothes, and the whole fun of dolls for me is playing with them. I’m constantly changing outfits because that’s the whole ‘play’ side for me.

15. I'd like to redress my doll more often- but unfortunately the money I could be spending on more clothes for him, has actually gone to my girl who hasn't even arrived yet lol
      Not to mention that I've spent money on getting him better eyes and a custom wig to suit his character... but hopefully one day I'll invest in buying him some more outfits!

16. hi,
      some dolls that were purchased with full sets are often kept in them, but my favorite dolls do frequently get new cloths. I love photography :) so they do get changed very often.

17. I'm super guilty of not buying enough clothes for everyone. Sometimes the lust for a new doll or head gets the better of me. Lol.

As for redressing, it happens maybe 3 or 4 times a year. Sometimes if a new outfit appears a bit more often. But not everyone gets equal changing....

18. I used to think I could re-dress ALL my dolls seasonally, including my dozens of OT ones. That...didn't happen. So I'm planning on having most of my OT dolls in one permanent outfit each, then I only have to change my resin-babies and the American Girls (which I don't have many of). Then I can do it monthly or seasonally, and it won't take more than about half an hour.

19. I do not redress my dolls as often as I would like to due to...work, life, reasons...but I do redress them 2-3 times a year. I do not necessarily change them for the seasons (half of my girls are in short sleeves right now) but more just because they either got new clothes or I want to see them in something else.
      On the these days rare occasion, I change them in order to do photoshoots but not always.

20. I at least wanted 2 sets of everything for my doll. I see myself changing everything up at least every couple of months and have tried to sew some outfits too.