1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Permanent outfits vs Redressing

Nov 24, 2020

1. My dolls tend to have one 'base' outfit that they are usually in and then one or two other outfits that they change into for photoshoots, holidays, or just a change of pace.

2. So I like this question because I see that I'm not the only one who does it the way I do.

With my dolls, eyes maketh the resin - so they all have their correct eyes at all times. Everything else though, is a matter of how I've feeling. Recently I looked at one doll and was just like 'he needs a new wig.' He's had the same longish shaggy bowl cut since he came home in 2010! Wigs are always up for changing since people do change their hair. I like to make a few different wigs for each doll partly so I can try different looks on them, and partly because I haven't perfected wig making yet and each one comes out verrrrry differently lol. :blush

Clothes I also would like to be able to change based on season and style for the doll, as I imagine more of their histories and activities. To do that I need to get everyone painted and body blushed appropriately, and then sew a small wardrobe for each one. My favourites have already got their mini wardrobes, or at least have had a good start on them, but several arrived during my doll-less phase and have never had a proper scrub up.

3. I don't buy full sets, I buy clothing separately so all my dolls fit the same aesthetic. They stay displayed in the same clothes.

4. None of mine came as full sets. I just never seem to like the clothes that come in those.

With my one group of dolls, I used to change them semi-frequently, because I feel bad about them sitting in the same clothes for long periods. Poor things though, when I got out of the hobby and they were just sitting on shelves, untouched for years, they stayed in the outfits they had on. They're more of a modern/casual collection, so finding clothes for them was easy and inexpensive, so most have a decent wardrobe... and as soon as I find their clothes, they'll go back to being changed somewhat often.

My new group that is still being put together, it's a different story. They're from a different (imaginary) time period, and clothes that fit in are not that readily available at prices I can afford. I'm also *terrible* at sewing, and have no machine. So while I'll be hand-sewing a few things, I'm currently only planning their primary outfits and will go from there once everything is said and done. They may get other clothes, they may not.

5. My experiences in the doll hobby are somewhat unique. My first exposure to BJDs was at a Dolpa in 2007 in Osaka. It is not as glamorous as it sounds as I went to the event straight after work. I was working the night shift at the time and just did not go home to bed. Instead I went to Dolpa. So my first experience seeing BJDs was in hand-created and artist-designed clothing with many dolls having customised face-ups while quite exhausted. I then went to more events in Japan over the years and that has pretty much shaped how I enjoy the hobby.

It would seem strange to me to keep a doll in one outfit or wig forever even though I rarely change eyes once I feel I have found the right pair. That said, if I really love an outfit I will keep my dolls in it for a year or even longer these days simply because I love it. There are two outfits made by Quinine Quinol, a Japanese clothing artist, who made the dresses in my avatar (thank you to the friend who helped me acquire a second one!). The skirts have kittens on them because the clothing artist also created that fabric design. For me, that is so incredibly special, so I am so hesitant about putting the dresses away. The outfits I lean towards tend to be works of art unto themselves. I really am not so interested in full sets as I want to determine "who" my doll is in terms of fashion, not have it dictated to me. Even mixing and matching artist-creating clothing is not an impossibility for me. For me, mixing and matching random pieces to create a new and fun look is part of the fun. I could not imagine not having beautiful handcrafted clothing for my dolls to wear. In many respects, I suppose I am more of a clothing collector than doll collector.

Although when I redress is random and based on how I am feeling, I always clean my dolls when I redress them. That could include full or partial seamline removal or restringing. Generally, though, with the exception of the face, it encompasses a basic wipe with the white sponge or a light sanding with very fine sandpaper. I brush the face with a soft-bristle (and clean) make-up brush to remove dust and clean the eyes with a cotton swab. All my dolls are on display since yellowing (or mellowing, as I term it) does not bother me. If people eat a lot of vegetables they are a little yellow, too, and it can make people appear more beautiful according to scientific research. What I do like is resin colour uniformity among my dolls for the most part, with a few exceptions (white or tan dolls), so that I do not have one super yellow one compared to the rest.

6. I'm one of those who barely redresses their dolls. I'm talking years of the same outfit--all because I like how they look in them. If I'm satisfied, what's to change? There are some times where someone gets their wardrobe refreshed but overall with 19 dolls and hardly the time to even do regular maintenance on them, as long as they're presentable in a display, extra clothes are a luxury for every once in a blue moon.

7. I like to keep my dolls in one outfit, but if the outfit no longer looks appealing to me after a couple years, I might update their look.

Part of this is that I’m too lazy to switch out new clothes all the time, but mainly because BJD clothes are expensive! Lol.

8. I’ve only got two girl dolls, and I like to make clothes for them so I like to change their looks sometime, maybe every few weeks or so

9. I am having a hard time finding 1/4 bathing suits. I'd love to change mine this summer into one if anyone has thoughts for a doll chateau Bella

10. I feel the need to redress my dolls every once in a while. It's kind of what helps me bond with them, seeing what looks good on them and what doesn't.

11. I change my guys clothes (I have three SD boys) like days of the week underwear. I probably have close to 30 outfits for all of them and counting. My 12 cm bean dolls I also have plenty of clothes for though I don't change them as often. My one lonely yosd has only two outfits, but I'm working on getting a nice wardrobe for her.

12. Currently I don't have any room to actually display my dolls, so I find it a lot easier to keep outfits off while in storage. Also, I'm kind of obsessed with having everything neat and tidy, so I'm afraid if I was to display them with outfits then I'd get super nervous I'd loose something. Once I get a bigger place thats well lit and clean, I'll be less afraid of loosing stuff and would probably pick out outfits for my dolls weekly as well as different outfits for photo shoots. The only thing I'm afraid of is staining, but I know thats less of an issue with BJDs (for the most part...)

13. Mixing & matching to make outfits is one of the doll activities that is the most fun to me, so I redress both my BJD and OT dolls pretty often, at least once a week lately. I'm also trying to be strategic and select dolls who can share (some) clothes as I grow my collection, to maximize their clothing choices. I'm not much of a photo-taker so most of their looks never get recorded, but I think it would be really fun to do a "lookbook" someday.

14. As much as I enjoy redressing my dolls for photoshoots, I find myself putting them back in the same outfits. Some of the coordinates I pick out just "fit" their style or personality, so they go back in those outfits eventually.

15. I actually only recently decided to start buying more outfits for my boys ~ I always wanted them to have many outfits, but had a hard time with the cost of clothing back in the day. However, now I am buying tons of clothing for them, and plan to change their outfits every few months at least, so that they still looked "loved" and cared for <3

Though admittedly I also have bias towards certain outfits that suit their personality best, so probably they'll end up with "default" outfits still.

16. I have always been a capsule wardrobe builder. I have an idea about what types of clothes my dolls will wear and then I start building a wardrobe of 8-15 pieces that can be mixed and matched. Two of the dolls I own only have one outfit, one of them is hard to dress as she is a hybrid, and a DC with DC hybrid at that, and the other just isn't a priority right now. It's terrible that I do this, honestly, because when I sell my dolls I sell them with their wardrobes and am almost always losing 100s of dollars in clothing and hours and hours and hours of my time.... but.... they belong with their clothes. Looking for clothes and props that go with my dolls is honestly my favorite part about the hobby. I love the search.

17. Most of my girls don't change very often. I find something that suits their character, and never change to something else until I'm tired of it. Taylor is the one exception as my companion doll; I'm always on the lookout for new pieces to add to her wardrobe, especially if I feel it's something her real world inspiration would wear.

18. Up until recently, I've sort of had the policy of one outfit per doll because that's all I could afford in between new resin/vinyl purchases. Now that I've matured out some and my tastes have changed, I'm finding myself more drawn to the idea of having a few dolls with tons of clothes and accessories to wear.

19. I'd like to change my doll's clothes every now and again once I get a getter variety of outfits. I usually find myself getting bored of a certain outfit if I'm looking at it for too long and want to restyle. To me, part of the fun of bjds is experimenting with different looks!

20. If my doll comes with a specific outfit I will keep her in it but if I do purchase a blank doll then I will dress her many times...especially for the seasons or if I see something I think will look great on her.