1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Permanent outfits vs Redressing

Nov 24, 2020

1. I occasionally play "dress up" with my dolls but for the most part they stay in one outfit, especially if they're a full set of some kind. TBH I'm probably never going to change my MNF Hwayu out of her full set outfit because I do NOT have the patience to re-do that corset lol

2. i am the exact same way. dressing them up is fun, but they always seem to end up back in the same outfit. it’s nice having options though.

3. I like having a lot of clothes for my dolls, but I do find that once I find an outfit I really love I have a hard time redressing them. Once I do find an outfit I love and change them it can sometimes make me not as happy with the doll, so having outfits I really like is important. I can have a huge amount of clothes but if I don't love them all on the doll it is kind of bummer for me. I love variety, and get bored if they are in the same thing too long though so it can be a catch 22.

4. I enjoy dressing them up, but once I find an outfit that suits them really nicely I rarely ever change it. That doesn't stop me from still buying them more clothes though!

5. I typically change my doll's clothes with the season unless I only have one outfit for them. For instance, since it's getting warmer out, I'll change my one girl's sweatshirt and leggings to a spring dress.

I've got two, however, that have "default" outfits, one is a farmer girl who wears a Barbie outfit that suits her perfectly and the other only wears the singular outfit because that's all I have for her as she wears fairy kei styles. Though, with the farmer girl, I'll give her a sweater when it gets colder out.

I'd like to get my dolls more custom clothes as I've got character styles in mind for them and my sewing skills are seriously lacking, but that requires money I don't have :sweat

6. I discovered, almost a year into the hobby, that I am fine with having a relatively small amount of BJD, as long as I can change their eyes, hair and clothes, which I may never cease to collect/create. I change their clothes regularly.

Changing the clothes, hair and eyes are enough to give me the excitement of a new doll. (It's not exactly that much of a good new to my wallet: I may tend to buy more ancillary items, who, as a whole, may end up costing even more than the dolls themselves! Though the buying is more spaced, I guess?)

#66 lyaam12, Mar 22, 2021
      Last edited: Mar 30, 2021
    7. I buy clothes and redress until I’m satisfied with their complete look. It takes time to find exactly what I’m looking for and I don’t want them sitting in a box until I find the perfect outfit. Once I have found something that fits my idea I find it hard to change them and some go through several changes before I settle on one.

8. I like to have many outfits for my dolls and I redress them frequently.

9. My doll Instagram is full of fashion flat lays because I love collecting clothes for my dolls! I do have favorite outfits but I like changing their clothes too. When I get a proper display for them they may stay in certain outfits longer than usual but their outfits will get changed.

10. Oof, sometimes my dolls chill in the same outfit for weeks and months but I usually really enjoy just the motion of redressing them, it's so calming. If I can't figure out a new outfit, sometimes I'll just undress and re-dress them, haha. However, when certain occasions come up, like a holiday or a birthday, and I'm feeling inspired, they get an outfit change for sure!!

11. I don't have many, but I realize I have a certain aesthetic and unless I find a piece that I think serves better than what they have I leave them in the outfit. So as time goes, maybe my tastes change a bit or I see something thats more accurate to whatever vision. Mayhap as I get more crafty I'll spend more time changing outfits and such.

12. Depends on how involved their clothes were to make. I sew for all my girls, so it's really down to my patience/energy level. Certainly my Minifee, who's currently halfway to a full Tudor noblewoman ensemble, won't be getting much new stuff after her outfit is finally finished!

13. I like my dolls to have a hot weather outfit and a cold weather outfit and unless. I'm taking photos or their getting new clothes or as I hope to in the future make them clothes they stay in their appropriate weather outfits. I do really enjoy dressing them though.

14. Several of my dolls represent real characters from TV and movies. Those dolls only wear one specific outfit with one exception.. They are:
      1. A Brad Pitt head on a Dollshe body painted and dressed as Louis de Lioncourt from Interview With the Vampire
      2. Tom Cruise head on a color matched Resinsoul body painted and dressed as the vampire Lestat, same movie but he has one black period outfit and one formal white.
      3. David Bowie head on a 70cm Dollshe body painted like Jareth the Goblin King, Labyrinth. Face by the incredible Katyok. Jareth outfit by Beyond Wonderland.
      3. Souldoll Yeon-bee as painted as Margaery Tyell, Game of Throne. Amadaiz custom wig, rose covered wedding gown by Beyond Wonderland.
      4. Souldoll Fafnir painted as Stahma Tarr from tv's Defiance. Outfit by Beyond Wonderland.
      5. Kaye Wiggs blue Konkeo painted full body as Neytiri from Avatar.
      There are others in the works.

15. I get outfits based on background stories I have. Naturally different stories lead to different outfits and accessories, and some have not be completed yet. Usually I switch between outfits based on my preference for backgrounds. For example when I was preparing for school exam I switched to the modern lab coat outfit that gives a scientific vibe. But I also do a mix-and-match(like formal shirts with kimono) when I am tired of a specific look. It gives me a feeling that one storyline had clashed with the other and it is quite fun.

16. I had planned on redressing more often, once upon a time... Vince and Pete could each use a change sometime because they've got decent selections of options and have been sitting around in the same old for a while, but Billy accidentally became a permanent outfit boy. I wanted some different little things for him but then he got an outfit so dang cute I just never change him.

At present, Jack only has one outfit, but eventually I want him to have some options... but at least for his D&D-verse self, it makes sense for him to keep a very limited wardrobe. He could use some leather armor pieces and maybe one change of shirt, but is basically good.

17. Depends on dolls. Some have outfits that they seldom ever removed (mostly my two ghost characters, so at least it makes sense I guess) and others that get changed every few weeks.
      Well, actually, I have two dolls that get redressed a lot, everyone else is more stable. But those two are my favourites, so they get to be spoiled.

18. I have some dolls with official outfits they rarely come out of. Character dolls like 2B stay in theirs. I have maybe three that cycle between outfits. I'm kinda in the process of having dolls without a set theme or clothes specifically associated with them so I can just....play around with styles and such.

19. So going into this hobby I should have known limited edition dolls sometimes mean limited edition outfits.
      I was fortunate enough to buy Miwa outfit + ears and Luha outfit + ears. Just so happens the person sculpting my twins got Dina and offered me her outfit, but keeping the horns but she will cast me some horns for the outfit. Now all I need is Fairyland Iru ears, and Myou Delia SP Nun outfit and I have THE POWA!!!

:celebrate:celebrate:celebrate

20. My dolls will likely have that one outfit that they stay in for long periods of time if not indefinitely.
      I change the outfits on my YoSD somewhat often since she is the easiest to change and I can pick random clothing styles for her.
      I do have plans to have several outfits for one of my SD dolls but I don't plan to be changing them very often.