1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Personal security: microchip your doll?

May 3, 2010

1. lol ok I might be the only one here but I kind of like this idea. Maybe embed the chip into a leg or some not-so-obvious place and if she gets stolen you could show the proper authorities the scanner. Itd be like a detective movie! Or if someone manages to sell her off on ebay or something you could be like "well thats my doll" "but how do you know? I bought her on ebay!" "beep beep, yup thats her" like a secret permanent and discreet modification kinda like carving your name into their headcap only you could change it from owner to owner and stuff. I would like it

2. I did have special dolls that I made at my first wedding, they were standing by the cake, and were fine. If I had Hazel when I married my husband, she would definitely have had to be there. I would designate a person with dolls of their own to care for her, and would probably have a chair on the head table for her as part of the centerpiece. I would probably duplicate the bridesmaids' dress on her too. If there was a way to tag her, I would probably do it. However I agree that it would be complicated and difficult. Check with the event site for what their insurance covers, and also check your own insurance. I suspect that you can cover the value of the doll or any repair to her if she is damaged. A case is also a good idea, and I wonder if you could rent one?

3. Even if the doll had a chip in its head, that doesn't mean you'll be able to recover the whole doll, because there's nothing stopping someone from disassembling it. While a very special LE might be worth a lot of money and maybe justify this type of tracking, the potential return is quite diminished once the body, eyes, clothes, etc get separated. One would be investing on such a system mostly for sentimental value on a single part of the doll.

As for the wedding, I agree with the glass case. Not only are children and guests in various states of drunkenness unpredictable, but there's food everywhere. It's all too easy for someone to be eat an oily appetizer and then touch the doll's face (because people always go straight for the faceup).

4. I wouldn't do this with my dolls, but it makes me think of people who take several valuable dolls to doll shows or conventions to be part of special displays. I've heard horror stories about rare dolls being stolen. It might be useful for people who do that sort of thing.

5. Personally I wouldn't microchip my dolls. I don't ever really go anywhere with them, but if I did I'd only take one and watch her like a hawk. I am not a fan of GPS tracking for anything, humans or dolls. And I don't think I'd want to be bothered with technology in a hobby that I see as fairly technology free (a very rare trait in this day and age for me)

6. I'm hackish enough to where I'm seriously considering doing this with my Dollfie Dream and my MDD. Heck, I'd even do it to my Obitsu even though he is not worth very much by comparison. Slipping a chip into one of the hollow fingers of the hand would work. I would just have to remember to transfer the little rice-grain chip thingy when I swap the option hands.

7. I have to agree with others; if you're that worried about your doll being damaged or stolen, just don't bring it. It's not worth the trouble, risk, and worrying.

8. Just to get back to the topicness of the discussion, this was more about the idea of chipping a doll, and not so much about my wedding. The part about my wedding was just kind of a back story of how I got to thinking about it.

9. Would you microchip your doll for safety? hell no. cause no matter what anyone says or you do to try and prevent it there is always a way a third party or someone you don't know, or someone you don't want to, can track you. which is why i will never ever get a car with on star. or use that family finder on any cellphone. it's not that hard to hack and trace wireless signals. considering in the 10th grade a friend of mine re wired his graphing calculator to trace cell phone calls on the bus ride to school which was an hour. in a hour he could do that.

Do you think this is something that's possible to do? yes it is possible. you can already get them for pets.

Where would the chip be physically placed in the doll and how would it be secured? probably the head cap would be easiest.

however to add for the wedding note. my freinds dolls stood posed next to the cake at their wedding and were fine.

10. My personal solution would be to get one of those bracelets you put on a small child that goes off if the child wanders too far from you. You could use it as a belt.

11. I wouldn't microchip my doll. I don't think anyone would really think to scan for a microchip; even if it became a hobbywide practice to microchip and scan microchips, any non-doll person who found the doll wouldn't know to do so. Additionally, if theft were involved, it would offer no protection. Why would the thief or recipient scan the chip just to give it back to me? Maybe they'd want to know more information about me to come and steal other items or continue harming me! x_x I prefer to deal with damage or theft risks with insurance.

12. Wow, so intense... I don't think it's necessary to microchip a doll, unless you take it everywhere with you and there was a high chance of it getting lost. It just seems a bit over the top for me. Sure they cost a lot, and they're special to me... but not that special...

13. its an intresting idea, and in your case it might just be nessasary. ive never thought of that before, nor have i had the need since my dolls never leave home, but if it will realy make you feel better, and wont hurt the doll, by all means go and do it!

14. I would never ever willingly microchip anything because that is basically baby steps towards microchipping ourselves.

Something I would never except in my life. I would rather cope with the loss rather than adopting tracking systems into my everyday life.

15. Thanks for your opinions. I can see all of the flaws and danger in microchipping now. Not a good idea. Again, just something that passed through my head.

16. I don't think there's anything wrong with microchipping, it's just not practical or very useful. Microchips used in pets can't be 'tracked', they can only be read if you put a scanner up to them within about 6 or so inches and it only comes up with an ID number that can be traced back to the owner through a database. That's it. No GPS, no broadcast signals, no tinfoil hats. But who is going to think to scan a doll?

17. I agree. If your doll HAS to be at your wedding, put her in a display case.
      Or else have her at your dinner table. As for me no I wouldn't microchip my dolls.
      I have considered microchipping my Cats/Birds though because I value living creatures
      more than my possessions. But I don't agree that dolls can be easily replaced either......
      just that I mourn the death of my pets more than I could ever imagine being sad over losing
      any of my dolls. Living things have real personality while our dolls have imagined personalities.

Back on topic, I would definitely say (again!) get an acrylic display case for your doll,
      she'll be safe from curious hands and anything unexpected (like flying food or drinks)
      and your main concern of theft.
      Best wishes on your wedding day, I hope you have a beautiful time:aheartbea

18. I would like to have a removable one I think. I wouldn't want a permanent one on ALL 17 of my dolls (not to mention my current 17 will soon enough turn into 18 and then to 19 etc.). It would be nice if I could have one or two that could be stuck in them for special occasions, like a plane trip or a convention. If you could turn them off and store them, then you wouldn't have to worry about "big brother on steroids" I'd hope.

19. This is what I had in mind, originally.

20. In response to OP's edit:

Which case you'd need would depend on your doll's height (you didn't specify which doll you want to bring to the wedding), but as you can see, such cases are not hard to find, and aren't too expensive.

If you're planning to bring a 1/4 scale (45cm/17") doll, this case or this case are nice, affordable choices that will most likely be tall enough to house her. If you want to display a 1/3 scale doll, you'll need to get a larger (and thus more expensive) one, and should probably check the doll's exact height before looking for a case that will fit.