1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Physical Affection with your Dolls

Mar 16, 2020

1. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      Yes, sometimes.

2. If yes to the above, how so? (Petting, hugging, etc)
      I like having them in my lap from time to time. When I do, I'm usually playing with their hands, fiddling with their hair. I sometimes also sniff their hair (it's weird, I know.. but I think it's because I own a cat and I do that to my cat :sweat). I guess my crew are my pets now LOL

3. Do you feel anything emotionally when you are physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      There are certain dolls I feel a lot of affection for, like my Bermann, Rei, and my first doll, Heisa. They're both my oldest dolls and have seen me through this hobby for 15 years this year! It's amazing how the time has flown..

4. Are there any dolls you wouldn't be physically affectionate to for any reason? (Examples: uncomfortable joints, too fragile, sharp parts)
      I find it more difficult to be physically affectionate with smaller dolls (1/4 size and below). My larger dolls just lend themselves to being coddled more. :roll:

2. Yes, I like to hug them. I guess it can be somewhat emotional, but it's more towards their character. The small ones are hard to hug.

I adopted 2 Chihuahuas, so, I give them most of my affection anymore. I still pet my dolls on their heads though. I think dolls are good if you can't have cuddly pets.

3. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      - You BET!

- Hugging, kissing on the head, shaking hands :3nodding::3nodding:

3. Do you feel anything emotionally when you are physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      - Uh-huh

4. Are there any dolls you wouldn't be physically affectionate to for any reason? (Examples: uncomfortable joints, too fragile, sharp parts)
      - Nope. They're my babies. I love them equally. Well..... some get more love than others ;)

4. This made me smile.
      I hadn't thought about it that way, but perhaps my tendency to talk to "things" is a live-alone feature!

I am definitely developing affection for my off-topic dolls. I've been building a roombox for them and almost finished the sofa and seeing them sat on that is bringing me back to my childhood and teen years... they feel much more "alive" in my imagination.
      I sometimes brush my little doll's hair as a care/affection thing. (She's OB11 size but off-topic)
      My yet-to-be-properly-name Eugenia doll looks like she needs to be cradled.
      I occasionally gently boop a nose :kitty1

5. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)? Extremely, lol. I'm a physically affectionate person in real life, with other people and things alike! I love hugs and I'll happily snuggle with friends, family, and even my doggo. I also grew up with and still have many (seriously, so many) plush toys, so I think the physical comfort of having things to hold and carry and pat has just carried over to BJDs even if they're harder resin!

2. If yes to the above, how so? (Petting, hugging, etc) I find myself petting my dolls' heads quite often, hahaha. I'll touch them a lot like that especially if they're sitting idle while I'm doing stuff, and I've noticed that the way I carry them around is by cradling them very close to my chest. Not sure if this quite counts but I think it does: I've slept beside my smaller MSD girl, too, with her nestled between my pillow and plenty of plushies to block her from tipping into the gap between the mattress and the wall. This was because I stayed up late at night and didn't want to make noise putting her back into her box, potentially waking up tired roommates! >o<

3. Do you feel anything emotionally when you are physically affectionate with your doll(s)? Yep! Fondness. I don't believe my dolls are truly alive or anything, but I can't help but see them as small (yes, even my SD!) helpless things whom I dress and clean and care for. For better or worse, they need to rely on me a lot! So I think I really couldn't help growing attached to them, and giving them little pats or being gentle when I handle their hands and heads has become my way of going, "I love you lots."

4. Are there any dolls you wouldn't be physically affectionate to for any reason? (Examples: uncomfortable joints, too fragile, sharp parts) My SD boy, but not because I like him any less! But when I first opened up his box, I took him out and sat him in my lap....and almost immediately afterwards I broke off his finger! :eek: His hands are much more realistic with longer, slimmer fingers than my MSD's denser, more childish-looking hands, so they're far more delicate. After that, I find myself treating him much more gently and carefully even though he's twice the size of my MSD gal!! So she'll probs get more hugs than him...but we'll see if I can't balance it out with more head pats, lolol!

6. I sometimes hug him and tell him that he is my forever love... :sweat It's happening when I use my doll to comfort me. It's really rare, but I feel better after I hug him. And I like to hold his tiny hands between my two fingers. And his feet too. He is so perfect in every way.

7. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      Yes, although I am more careful with my resin babies than I would be with a plush doll.

Usually, I pat them on their heads, and I'm always setting their hair just so whenever I pass by their shelf. I don't usually carry them around unless I'm taking them out for photos or measurements for sewing projects, but when I do I tend to carry them like they're babies(or in my Trinity's case, like a small child). I have noticed that I like to hold their hands(while admiring how nicely sculpted said hands are). I don't think I've ever intentionally hugged or cuddled my resin babies, though.

Happy, peaceful. For me, it's a way to unwind and de-stress. Sure, just looking at my dolls makes me happy, but patting their heads and brushing their hair and holding their little hands is nice too.

I tend to leave my Crobi boy alone except for pictures, not because I don't like him, just because he's one of those dolls I admire more from a far. And my Trinity gal is so heavy she spends most of the time in her rocking chair, anyway.

8. I'm in the very weird position of being an extremely affectionate person with so many sensory issues that I really just...Hate being touched IRL. More often than not, being hugged etc is uncomfortable for me. (About the only people who can touch me without hurting me or setting my brain on fire are my mom and my spouse.)

As a result, I've always been really cuddly with inanimate objects. I snuggled the hell out of all my stuffed animals and barbie dolls as a kid, etc. Then I grew up, and moved away from stuffed toys and into collecting fashion dolls. I was never very affectionate with them, though. I thought it was because I had grown out of it, but it turns out they were just too small! I'm super duper affectionate with my BJDs. I feel a little silly about it sometimes. :sweat

But you know? At the end of the day, humans are very weird creatures. If my weirdest point is that I'm overly affectionate with my dolls, I reckon I'm doing alright.

9. Yes, I hug my dolls. They are my daughters. I will hold them next to my heart and say I love you. I have had dolls all of my life and I have always felt comfortable in showing affection towards them.

10. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)? Yes.
      2. If yes to the above, how so? (Petting, hugging, etc) Usually petting and holding hands and just having them in my lap while doing other things.
      3. Do you feel anything emotionally when you are physically affectionate with your doll(s)? I can't really say if it is that deep of a feeling. It's not like when I hug my husband or a sister or a friend but it also calms me and makes me feel better. I think it's got a lot to do with my level of bonding with their characters.
      4. Are there any dolls you wouldn't be physically affectionate to for any reason? (Examples: uncomfortable joints, too fragile, sharp parts) I hold them all with the same love, no matter if it's an MSD, a Yo-SD or an anthro. I'm always careful when I handle my dolls so I'm not worried about hurting them or getting hurt. There are some that I would hold rather than others depending on what I'm doing or feeling atm (like some of them would understand me and comfort me better? and when I'm feeling playful I'll just grab one of the funnier ones).

11. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      Physically affectionate, no but mentally having a bond and feeling fondness definitely yes.

4. Are there any dolls you wouldn't be physically affectionate to for any reason?
      Some of my dolls are either 1 of 1 (Dollmore Model Doll - Black berry ; Tattoo Hayarn) or have custom faceups/body blushing which makes me apprehensive about touching them a great deal. I am rather heavy handed and I would hate to irrevocably damage one of them.

12. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?

Absolutely!

I love stroking her hair. I also lightly boop her nose with my fingertip. Once in a while I kiss the top of her head. Oh, and hugs. Lots of hugs. I love to cuddle her while we watch TV.

I do feel something of a connection with her. Affection, certainly. I know she's just a doll but that doesn't change my feelings.

I never had much desire to cuddle porcelain dolls. If we're talking strictly BJDs, Chaeri's my only one so I can't really compare...and trust me, Riri does not want for affection or attention. Or nose boops.

13. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      Yes, because, why not? We'll watch TV together, I've taken a couple to movies I thought they'd like and they sat on my lap, things like that.

I usually pet them, but occasionally I'll kiss them on top of their wigs. I know, weird, but it makes me smile. :)

Yes. I feel like I'm hugging a buddy. My Crew are my friends, so that's what it feels like to me, like I'm hugging a close friend.

My first tiny arrived yesterday, and since I'm used to SDs and larger, Edgar feels fragile in comparison. I'm sure that I'll be hugging him in no time. :XD:

Ryu

#33 Ryuichi Sakuma 13, May 9, 2020
      Last edited: May 9, 2020
    14. I am basically the most physically affectionate person I know. I live for cuddling my girlfriend, and when she's not around, I literally sleep wrapped around a blanket. I was able to see my best friend after more than a month on Thursday, and I almost knocked her over taking a flying leap to hug her (the joys of being almost a foot shorter than her). Good thing she's strong. I sometimes like to have a doll in my lap, because it's a little bit comforting. I've also held one of my dolls once when my ex and I had a really big fight, but that was a little bit more about her character, and what she meant to me. I like having dolls casually with me sometimes, but usually I don't go that far. I'll also brush through their wigs sometimes. Usually it's just kind of relaxing having something to think about or focus on. It's not so much an emotional connection, unless sometimes it's to the character. I am careful about faces, because I can't paint my own at all. Shrike, Nyrith, Aura, Liriel and anyone else with a hard to replace faceup are precious. In Particular Liriel, because I could never replace her faceup.

15. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      Not really. I may fix their hair or talk to them like I would a living being. But hugging and such? No

I feel happy when I'm dressing and styling them.

All of my on topic dolls are tinies, so that may also be why I've never tried hugging them or anything like that. But over all they're beautiful pieces of resin, they can't like or love me back. So it's kinda cold.

16. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?

Sure, very often, almost everyday

I don't pet them, mostly hugs, holding hands, sometimes kisses on shoulders

bonding, happiness, calmness

not particular, maybe AC, he is new, I am still trying to bond with him and haven't showed a lot of affections yet

17. I had and still having affection with my child. I like to hold the hand or use my nose to touch the nose (but yes, really did that carefully or my own sweat could destroy my child).
      I don't know why, but I always had strange feelings every time I do that, something like take care and be cared...

18. I'm on Team Cuddle here. I like to sit with them in my lap or generally around and one even has a dedicated, safe, spot on my bed. It honestly just sort of happened one day, much like the OP, and I decided I liked it. I try not to touch faces too much or anywhere that's painted, though I'm not too worried because I tend to wipe faces a lot anyway... I'm more emotional towards the character since all of my dolls are shelled, and even with OT dolls of mine that aren't shelled OC's they have become a character on their own. So it's less about the plastic and more about the, uh, soul (so to speak) inside the plastic. It is calming to hold them though, very comforting when I'm stressed. I have some sleep issues and I find that having one in my bed is helpful on those sleepless nights. Maybe it's childish, but hey, it works for me. Now that I've got the "piercings" in place on my RS Song boy I don't hold him nearly as much, as they're just glued on and will knock off easily.

19. I'm not at all because I'm afraid of damaging them or messing up the faceup! I'm sure it's probably not much of a risk but I want to keep them as nice as possible so I mostly admire from afar or have them sitting near me while I work lol

20. It really depends on the day. If I'm just holding them, I tend to pet their heads or hold their hands. Some dolls I'm more affectionate with than others, but I think that has more to do with their characters than anything else. A few of the characters are just not affectionate people so I'm less likely to pet them and such.