1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Physical Affection with your Dolls

Mar 16, 2020

1. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      Yup!!

2. If yes to the above, how so? (Petting, hugging, etc)
      I usually kiss them on the top of the head, and I like sitting them on my lap. Sometimes when I just have them sitting near me I'll hold their hand.

3. Do you feel anything emotionally when you are physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      Yes, but it's hard to explain! Something sort of motherly, I guess?

4. Are there any dolls you wouldn't be physically affectionate to for any reason? (Examples: uncomfortable joints, too fragile, sharp parts)
      Not ones that I own! All of them are equally likely to get (gentle) affection. I wonder if I'd feel weirder if I had male dolls, but I don't at the moment so I don't really know. :lol:

2. Yes, I am physically affectionate with my dolls, at the moment I only have two dolls and I am affectionate with both, but I am more so with one than the other. It makes me very happy when I am hugging my doll, carrying him, combing his hair, parting his head, and holding his little hands. The reason why I am more affectionate with this doll than the other, is because he is a character from a book that I love (Xie Lian from “Heaven Official’s Blessing”) so my love for that character translates into my doll, which is why I like hugging him and taking care of him :).

3. I'm physically affectionate with my dolls to a degree! For all of them, I like to pat their heads or pet their hair when I see them when I go into the room where I keep them (my walk-in closet). I like to brush their hair and pet their hair the most! For me, it's just very calming since their wigs are soft and silky. I don't really hug them, though, or put them on my lap. I like to be able to look at them when I have them out, so I usually have them sitting beside me instead (in head patting distance!)

Aww, Xie Lian!! :aheartbea I totally get you with showing your love for a character through their doll! There's something about having a physical representation of them that makes it hard not to want to hold them. :XD: (I have a doll I want to make into Shi Qingxuan on order, so I'll probably end up the same. ;; )

4. I guess you could call it "affection", yes. Mostly it's interacting with them, playing, posing for photos, and yes, hugging too. I like hugs, but for the most part don't like people (in the general sense, not individually); it's easier with dolls. Sometimes just spending time with them. For example, I had my new MSD girl on my lap earlier today, sitting here on the computer shopping for her some clothes. It seemed to be kind of a bonding experience, and I learned a lot about her...

5. I like to pet their heads, boop noses and stroke hands.

6. Absolutely! That sounds so cool, I want to see how your Shi Qingxuan will look, I bet beautiful! Which version are you making? If you don’t mind me asking. I can’t wait too see the end results :whee:.

7. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      Yes, very​
      I often pat or kiss the top of their heads (like how you would to a cat), hug them or hold them. Sometimes I take naps with them laying next to me or even holding them. I also like to keep some of them with me wherever I am, and occasionally bring one out shopping or to eat with me.​
      3. Do you feel anything emotionally when you are physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      To me, they all deserve attention and I love them dearly, so it makes me happy when I'm with them, even just in the same room. They're like little, tiny people and each one of them needs some level of affection from me. Of course, part of this stems from my personal belief that they have a sort of pseudo-soul (as in resembling those of humans).​
      4. Are there any dolls you wouldn't be physically affectionate to for any reason? (Examples: uncomfortable joints, too fragile, sharp parts)
      My DD Rider/Santa Alter receives a little less cuddle time due to how fragile her frame is compared to my other dolls. I'm hoping to replace her joints soon so that it won't be an issue anymore, though.​

8. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?

Oh yeah! If I'm not sewing or knitting for them or what have you, physical affection is my next go-to for Doll Time.

For extended Doll Time, just taking them out of the cabinet and sitting with them. Sometimes they're just next to me or in my lap while I do other things. Sometimes I'm more actively fiddling with their hands, running my hands through their wig, posing them, etc. I also like carrying them around in one hand, with my palm as a "seat" for them. They're all a good size for it, and it's a fun way to get a full-body look at them and feel their weight!

Usually, yes. Sometimes it's just calming to feel their weight, or to fiddle with them. I need to keep my hands busy, and having a doll in them serves that purpose well. And at times, I'll look over at them and remember that love and joy of "that's my doll!"

Right now, not particularly, though Beryl I might disassemble a bit before Doll Time. She's a Resinsoul Zhen, so she has magnetic dragon wings and a tail that can get in the way. I usually keep her tail off anyways, though.

9. I'm not a very physically affectionate person with other people, but I just can't resist hugging my dolls when they are so cute!! :chibi
      I find myself hugging them against my chest and grinning, petting their hair if their wigs are soft fibers, playfully holding their hands, and carrying them around with me.

I could not begin to capture how it makes me feel within the rules for grammatical posting on this forum, because it involves incomprehensible noises and keymashing. :lol:

10. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      Yes in some ways

I usually keep one or two of my dolls sitting on my desk next to me while I'm on my computer. I like them to keep me company. They help with my anxiety and depression.
      I rarely hug them, except when I'm changing their clothes, but I often reach over and arrange their hands, stroke their head or some other small reassuring gesture. I usually change which dolls to have on my desk every week or so. Right now it is Ivan and Elena, my 5 Star Edmund and Resinsoul MI. They look like siblings with their blond hair.

Yes. I haven't had much physical contact with friends or family since the pandemic, and so I get really lonely. I live with a housemate, who I don't get along with, so we keep to ourselves and rarely speak. She owns the house, and I rent a room. I mostly stay in my room, so I'm alone most of the time. My dolls are what keep me from going off the deep end from loneliness.
      Plus I've suffered with anxiety and panic disorder all my adult life, and when I start to feel a panic attack coming on, I will take hold of a doll's hand while I calm my breathing, and it really helps.

I'm only affectionate and emotionally attached with my SD sized dolls. I don't feel the same way about my MSDs because of their small size.. To me they are more just fun to look at. The exception is my Bobobie Mei. I feel a bit emotional about her due to the long history I have with her.

By the way, even with all the handling I've done with my dolls, I have never had a damaged faceup or any other damage other than one broken finger, in the 11 years I've had them. They don't get dirty or even dusty, as I keep them on a shelf that is deep enough so dust doesn't get on them.
      Also I don't touch my dolls' faces. I pick them up by holding them around the torso, which is covered by clothing, so my dolls don't get dirty from touch either. I have never given my dolls the "white glove treatment" and if you are careful, you don't have to be afraid of handling them. :)
      I'm also naturally a frequent hand washer, so I don't have dirt or body oil on my hands when I touch my dolls.

#50 ParlourGoddess, Jul 4, 2022
      Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
    11. I'm making the male version of Shi Qingxuan, partially based on my design, partially based on Starember's. :XD: I'm hoping he'll turn out beautiful!! This will be my first time trying to make a doll look like a character. ;v; (One day I wanna try doing the female version too, but one step at a time!) And thank you!! I'll definitely post him once he's completed~

12. I like to cuddle with my doll Emmeline when I have job interviews. So far, I've got both the jobs I've applied for since I started doing it! :lol:

13. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      To varying degrees, yes.

Sometimes a cuddle during the early 'bonding' stage. When Vince is sitting with me I like to hold his little hand (or his foot). But sometimes I just like to give them a little pat in passing.

Yes, I'm hugely sentimental

Most of my dolls are not 'cuddly' dolls-- they just don't have quite the vibe for it. But I can still pat their heads or tough their little hands even if they're not built for sitting on my lap.

14. I love to give my dolls kisses on the head, they are just so cute I have to kiss them! I also like to hold my dolls in my lap or walk around with them in my arms, it’s a comforting feeling to me. It’s like I see my dolls and feel so much cuteness aggression that I have to kiss them to get it out of my system lol :XD:

15. I am so happy about this topic! I find it very comforting to hug my boys. SD boys are so heavy (especially my Charmdoll boy) that they feel really nice when holding them. It comforts me a lot. Combined with the fact that they are shells for my dearest OCs it feels very comforting to hold them when feeling down. Wilhelm, Doll Legend Frank, is my therapy doll and I love to hold him whenever I feel bad. I have cried to his wig so many times, poor man. :'D

16. 1. Are you physically affectionate with your doll(s)?
      Yes!

I sometimes hug them. I've sat with them in the past. Like, watching TV or whatever. Though I haven't done that in many years. It can get awkward since most of my girls are the more mature adult proportioned SD sorts of dolls.

I have felt emotions when hugging my dolls. Actually, I hugged my Iplehouse SID Eva the first time since I was already feeling emotions for her. It was kind of surprising because I got her for utilitarian reasons to further my doll universe, but I ended up falling in love with her.

There are no BJDs that I have that fit that description. I don't have any fantasy parts on my ladies. They're typical humans. If they're dressed in something that I don't want to mess up then I'm more careful with them, but if they're wearing plain clothes then I'll give them a hug sometimes. Granted, I hug certain ones more often than others, like my beloved Eva who gets lots of hugs, but they're all very huggable. I don't do so much hugging with smaller off topic dolls. Not that I don't love them, but there's just not so much to hug! I have a couple that I'll hug even though they're smaller, though.

17. I wouldn't necessarily say I'm physically affectionate with my dolls...
      For one, I'm scared of getting caught in the joints (it can really hurt!). Another is that I'm scared I'd drop them.
      But I do like to brush their hair. I find it's a great stress reliever!

18. I have my boy sitting on the shelf on my desk, which is right next to my closet door. Every time I go by, I pet him in some way whether it's a knee or a shoulder or on the head. I also like just smiling at him while he watches me play games on my computer. His presence makes me happy.

19. I wouldn't say that I'm physically affectionate with my dolls. They spend the majority of their time in their display case. I try not to handle them too much because I don't want to mess up their hair, poses, props, etc. It takes me a long time to get everything just right, haha!

20. I'm not physically affectionate with my dolls that much. However I like to carry them arround (especially the SD sitting on my arm, they fit so nicely in there!).

The tiny ones are really nice to just have them in your hand and playing with the joints to calm down (similar with fidget toys, but of couse gentle). It just feels nice ^^

In the german language we have a nice word for this, called "Handschmeichler" (literally "Hand-snuggler"). It's a word for an object wich fits perfectly in your hands palm and has a nice-to-touch structure...like a perfectly rounded stone.
      This is what tiny dolls are