1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Why Do You Collect?

Jun 1, 2020

1. Clearly, we all collect bjds because we enjoy them. However, I think we all have our own primary ownership reasons as well. So I’m curious, what’s yours? What do you find yourself doing the most with them? How do you enjoy them?

1) Photography
      You love taking photos of your dolls! Maybe you were always into photography, or your dolls are the whole reason you started. You may have a special social media or photo account just for them.

2) Fashion
      Maybe you’re already a super stylish person and love dressing up your dolls. Or you use them to explore other, more diverse styles and time periods that you otherwise don’t dress in yourself.

3) Characters
      Almost all your dolls are based on a special character you love. Whether it’s your own creation, or from a game or show you enjoy.

4) Long time collector
      You’ve always enjoyed collecting dolls, figures, toys or other similar items and then stumbled upon bjds. Now you collect them, too!

5) Numbers
      You strive for a specific number of dolls. The more the merrier!

6) Diversity
      You’re one of those people who can’t decide on just one style and are always looking for new dolls to diversify your collection. One of each from your favorite companies is the goal!

7) Creating
      You use your dolls as a creative outlet. Crafting props, dioramas, clothes or accessories for them. You may even have your own business doing so.

8) Something else
      I’m sure I can’t really think of all the reasons we love our dolls and the ways we interact with them. What is yours, if it isn’t one of the choices above?

2. 3, I shell my husband and I’s D&D characters. It takes a long time to find the perfect sculpt and everything that goes with it but it’s so rewarding to see the character complete in physical form.

3. 1, 2, and 4 mostly. Photography is a pretty small part for me though. I also collect dolls because I simply think they're cute and I like looking at cute things. Dressing them up is definitely my favorite. I honestly don't use BJDs for any personal creativity at all though. No original characters, faceups, nothing.

4. Characters!
      The majority of my dolls are made into a physical form of my characters, either from role-playing or DnD characters. I do have a couple that I bought secondhand just because I thought they were cute but most of those end up becoming OCs of mine eventually.

5. Crafting! I'm always a crafter, and this is just another outlet for my creativity.
      But also comfort. They are a tangible weight in my arms or solid item in my hands to focus on when my brain causes too much trouble.

6. For me it's mostly 4; I was already a long time doll collector -- pretty much have been collecting since birth! However, I don't collect every and any doll there is, although I definitely have a soft spot for most dolls regardless of type (and I tend to hoard). I mostly decided to collect these types of dolls as well because I could modify and customize them. Those were the most influencing factors for me when I purchased my first knowing I would get more, the fact that I could modify and customized them as much as I wanted, and that was part of what made these unique from other types of dolls (besides the highly detailed sculpting, elasticized articulation and price point). (:

7. I love it! I really want to start playing someday. My friend’s boyfriend is really into so I’m hoping to start there.

I’m totally on board with the cuteness factor. That’s a big one for me too!

I should have included “an outlet” as one of the reasons we collect. I definitely use my dolls as an escape from real life.

I’m a little jealous of long-time collectors. I’ve always loved toys and dolls and cute things but didn’t collect. Now that I’ve discovered bjds, it’s reignited a passion for all those things I loved before and I’ve started collecting other toys as well.

#7 Taffy_ta_Sweet, Jun 1, 2020
      Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2020
    8. Some combo of characters, fashion, and being a long term collector of various dolls, figures and stuffed animals (though I’ve since sold off almost every toy that isn’t a BJD.)

9. I love meeting others through the doll hobby :) Instagram is fun and so is story writing! Dolls are another way to connect with myself and others <3

10. I haven't been in the hobby for a terribly long time, but I got into collecting because they're just so beautiful and I just wanted the works of art that they were. After a little bit of time, I got into the creative aspect of the hobby with digital sculpting which has been a lot of fun waiting on the 3d printer and seeing what you made slowly come together, face ups, and most recently eye, wig, and clothes making. Now that my SO got a proper camera, I've been delving into the photography side of the hobby now.
      There are just so many facets of the hobby to explore and play with.

11. .

#11 Gintsumi, Jun 1, 2020
      Last edited: Feb 28, 2024
    12. I would say creating, characters and photography. I had started as a photography hobbyist in high school. I came across BJDs through posting the photos I took online. I ended up purchasing my first BJD and then kept working toward crafting for them and creating their characters over the years! :)

13. Definitely the creating. I love making pillows and blankets and things for my doll and I'm planning on sewing a dress for her when she gets here :chibi

14. For me it’s #7, crafting is my life! Learning new techniques interests me, so learning how to make new crafts for dolls is what gave me the reason to start collecting bjds. So far, it’s been a great decade, and I’ve learned many new skills. Some I still need more practice like sewing. One skill that has proved to be the most frustrating is shoe making!

15. Uhhh 7, I guess? My dolls end up with characters, but I don't set out to create specific ones, and I wouldn't exactly call the clothes I make for them "fashionable" (I have a deep love for garish bright colors, sequins, holographic material, etc.). So I guess it's just the general crafting! I've enjoyed picking up the new skills of sewing, modding, and dyeing from this hobby. It's also what pushed me to finally try resin casting, though I haven't been doing much of that lately.

I think in the beginning I just thought they were pretty. Now they're a full-on hobby!

16. Doll obsessed since birth! Maybe this is under long time collector? Anyways I have just always found dolls to be so mesmerizing and beautiful so I have always been drawn to them.

17. I guess #7 is the one I fall under. I like having my dolls around as muses, as fun objects to paint, and things to pose and mess with when I need it.

18. Characters! I really enjoy creating characters and giving them doll forms as well as knowing everything that is to know about their stories and their lives.

I like dressing them a lot too so maybe fashion would be my second choice. Dressing and undressing was the only thing I used to do with my dolls when I was a child xD

19. Mine is definitely #3 ! I have a lot of original characters and i really enjoy buying dolls to customise into my ocs. But there is an exception too, i buy 1/8 dolls because they can pose with re-ments and i find that cute.

20. It’s a combination of 4, 7, & 8 for me. I’m absolutely a collector by nature, though I have largely tried to minimize my personal belongings in recent years. I definitely use my dolls as a creative outlet, and thanks to them I feel I’ve really improved in several forms, includingNot only sewing and painting but also in my sketches. However, the real catalyst behind my collection is somewhat morbid; I was a silent observer in the hobby for over a decade and didn’t start actively collecting until after the death of my father. I had become extremely depressed in my grief and bjd helped bring me out of a very dark place by refocusing my attention and energy.