1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Popular Sculpts, do you avoid them when choosing a new doll?

May 24, 2010

1. I really could care less if a sculpt is popular or not I like what I like, most of the time I'm not even aware if a sculpt is popular or not. Luts is my favorite company and their very popular but it seems even on their I'm more attracted to the less popular sculpts anyway so its not even really something I run into but again I do like a few popular sculpts and I do not care the popularity of a doll is not even a factor in my choice of a doll!

2. I don't tend to pick popular sculpts for my dolls, but I wouldn't shy away from one because it was popular, either. It's not that I don't like the popular ones; there are several I like, but they just don't suit any characters I need to make.

Well, I suppose that's not entirely true, since there IS a Soom Bygg on my wishlist. ^_^;

3. Popular sculpts are usually popular for a reason. If I liked a sculpt and it just so happens to be popular, that wouldn't stop me from getting it if I thought it was worth the money. I can't say I'd be concerned about uniqueness. I think true uniqueness in a doll is a fallacy. There will always be someone out there with similar tastes to your own! But, for those who find it an important part of the hobby, there are so many creative things you can do to change your doll's appearance.:)

4. If I love a doll, I love a doll. Regardless if its sculpt is popular.

5. Popular sculpts are popular for a reason - perhaps because they speak to a lot of people. If a doll speaks to you - it's your doll, whatever the sculpt. As far as uniqueness and originality of the final doll character - it depends on the imagination of the doll owner more so than on the rareness, or popularity of the sculpt.

6. I honestly don't think popularity should be a factor when deciding which dolls you like. If you like them, like them for their beauty not because they are popular or obscure, company-made or individual-made. It's always baffled me how people can intentionally avoid or dislike something just because a lot of other people like it. I've seen this kind of thing a lot in the jrock community and it kind of comes across as elitist...kind of like saying you like something when the fan base is small, but once it grows, you suddenly don't like that doll, musician, whatever, anymore.

If you honestly don't like something based on sculpt or features, fine, but it's silly to dislike something just because tons of other people like it. :3 When I first got in to dolls, Els seemed like the most popular sculpt. I don't see as many of them posted as frequently now, but popularity was never a factor for me. I don't have an El yet, but I really want one...two actually for my twin characters. I wouldn't care if there were a million Els around here, I would still think it's one of the pretties sculpts I've seen. ^^

7. I won't avoid a doll because it's popular. Ani is decently popular but I still cant' help but love that mould. So far I haven't loved a doll the way I love my Ani boy - even when I had to sell his body - his floating head brought me more happiness than my new dolls who had bodies and fancy outfits.

8. i do avoid popular sculpts! dunno why......................

9. I only care about what the sculpt looks like. All the other details are unimportant.

10. No, if I like them I buy them, it doesn't matter for me how many people like them too.

11. They're popular for a reason :)
      Plus I think it's a shame if people avoid them just because others have them.
      People who actually have an imagination can make them look completely different to the others!!
      I think each doll is unique regardless of if it's the same sculpt. If you're spending that much money on a doll, get one you like!!!

12. Even if it's popular, I don't really care. If I like the mold, I like it and no matter what I'll want it, so why not get it? My first doll was actually a pretty popular mold, but I don't love him any less for it. That would be unfair to him if I liked the other dolls more just because there weren't many people who had the other ones.
      I wouldn't not get a doll because not many people buy it, either. I just look at the mold when I decide to get one.

13. Popular molds are popular for a reason. >>

14. Naaah... I agree with mostly everyone else. If I like it, I want it, and if I don't, I don't.
      Even though my dolls right now aren't that popular sculpts, I do have plans for a MNF Shiwoo in the future (One of my friends and I are gonna have twins~ ) and I'm currently working on putting together a SOOM....limited tiny....beast. ( Beyla + Glati + Winnie Dee Ai ), so my current situation is only coincidental.

15. I'm still very new to BJD ownership, so when I'm looking for potential new dolls, popularity of sculpt is an issue...

A popular sculpt is likely going to have been made by a very reputable company, so popularity is a 'safe' bet. I don't want to be caught out by recasts or poorly made dolls. On the other hand, there is something that appeals to having a doll that fewer people have.

I have done a little bit of customisation to my first doll, and my next will be a hybrid anyway, but I guess I'd feel more confident sanding and altering a doll I knew I could easily acquire replacement parts for, should I tragically mutilate the poor thing. Popular dolls, being popular, would be much easier to acquire!

16. I agree with Katyok; usually, there is a reason for a sculpt to be popular, and most times, they are simply very beautiful, with features that appeal a broad aesthetic criteria. By my side, I usually like the sculpts upon release, so I get them and discover later that they are popular or not, as idrisfynnsaid. But I also found that some of the ''old classics'' don't really appeal to me, and I am much more inclined nowadays with the newer, more realistic trends.

17. I own two very popular molds - Soom Dia and Zaoll Luv (well she's on the way to me but the fact is the fact LOL). And this does'not bother me at all. The reason I bought them - they fit my characters 100%, they are both my style dolls, and I can't think about owning another on their place.

And I have Iplehouse Jessica and Asa in my wishlist - very popular too. But they are so beautiful! I can't resist :)

18. I did avoid them way back..now I just think it was stupid.
      I love what I love..I buy what I love..as long as it fit my criteria.
      Some is popular..some is unpopular..and that's not a problem.
      But usually I am tempted to buy popular sculpt..not avoid them..I usually don't care for uniqueness..change the face up wig and eyes have already make them unique.

I agree for whoever said popular sculpt is popular for a reason. Like Volks Williams for example..he's just too gorgeous..his sad face just captivate my eyes..and many people heart.:aheartbea

19. When I chose a doll, I always waited for that special "eureka!" moment where you suddenly recognize your character's face in the resin. So it didn't matter a bit if they were popular or unpopular. Once I recognized them, they were mine!

20. It's not because tons of other people LIKE it, it's because tons of other people HAVE it, and since one major aspect of BJDs is their customizeability, this could actually be something worth considering. Getting a popular doll to customize could be kind of like using cliche design elements when you're making a character/story/film/whatever. Of course, there is always still a place for cliches and if something is just GOOD, then that's a good reason to get it even if it's often-used, but I don't think it's silly to think about a doll's popularity and maybe let it help you decide.

PLUS, with some dolls, you know you will get lots of opportunities to see them at meets and cons and stuff. Personally I like the idea of having a doll I might not get the chance to see IRL otherwise, or that I might not get to see many pictures of. :3