1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Preparing your dolls for the outside world

Jan 17, 2009

1. I didn’t see this anywhere, so…

I was wondering how you guys prep and primp up your dolls before you take them outside.

Special clothes? A coat, hat, or scarf so that they don't get cold?

Take some food with you just in case your doll gets hungry?

Or a toy just in case they get bored?

Drench them in UV protection? <-- I guess this is the thing I'm most interested in. I'm paranoid that my dolls will yellow quickly...so paranoid that I avoid putting them anywhere near windows. *_*

Care to share?

I plan to take my dolls outside as soon as the winter cold goes away, so that my doll gets a proper face-up and some MSC. :sweat

I want my dolls to see the world! Don't you? :)

2. WOW!

To answer your questions in order...

I was wondering how you guys prep and primp up your dolls before you take them outside. I dress Ryuichi-doll WARM! He has to look stylin' of course, being a rock star!:) He goes with me when I go out, I just turn the heat up high in the car and sit him on my lap under the seatbelt!

Special clothes? A coat, hat, or scarf so that they don't get cold? At least two layers if not more, a hat, and tennis shoes, the only boots he currently has are dress ones. For some reason, his tummy always ends up showing...;)

Take some food with you just in case your doll gets hungry? He carries a sandwich [eraser] and a cherry pepsi [lipgloss] in his one of his two backpacks in case he gets hungry.

Or a toy just in case they get bored? Kumagoro goes with him in case he wants to talk to someone other than me.

Drench them in UV protection? <-- I guess this is the thing I'm most interested in. I'm paranoid that my dolls will yellow quickly...so paranoid that I avoid putting them anywhere near windows. I haven't yet, as I dont have the MSC. He also still has his seams and things, since I haven't had the money to get the things he needs to fix it yet...plus I live in Cleveland and we're currently getting whomped by the Alberta Clipper!:o

Care to share?Just did! I'm interesting to see what others say!

I plan to take my dolls outside as soon as the winter cold goes away, so that my doll gets a proper face-up and some MSC.

I want my dolls to see the world! Don't you? Of course! Thus the warm clothes and other supplies!

Ryuichi

3. NOPE, nothing special

I just take them out like that, if I am making a short trip (like running to Volks USA). Sometimes a carrier to put them in if I am going to a photo shoot (so I need to carry doll and camera)

No food or toy (since they do not have a real need for those items)

4. Yep :3nodding:
      Each of my kids have their own "winter gear".
      Coats, scarves, and gloves :cheer
      UV protection, not so much. In the summer, I might put up my little window shades in the car, but other seasons I'm not as worried.
      The sun isn't really all that bad in MD
      As for food, I always carry snacks in my purse, in case they get hungry.
      They don't bring toys though, unless we're going on a longer car trip.
      Or on vacation.:cool:

5. I generally bring along a cloth or something to drape over them, if they're going to be spending any extended amount of time in an area that's likely to get direct sun. And I'm careful about where I place them (I avoid places that are too hot, too cold, dirty, etc), but aside from that, I don't do anything special. If I bring extra things along, it's because I'm planning a photoshoot and need accessories.

My dolls do have "winter" clothes (mostly coats), but whether or not they're wearing them is not influenced by the conditions outside, except in that I'm more likely to do a "cold day" type photoshoot if there is actual snow on the ground.

No, I do not worry about my dolls getting hungry. Or bored. So no food or "toys."

6. not really, as I am rather poor and haven't been able to make many clothes for my girls xD!
      My Puki Sophie has a Domo bag/purse thing that she travels to and from school in. I take her every day :D

7. They pretty much go out as is. My girls have a few curly wigs that get taken out for meetups only, since they have a tendency to get mangled if they're worn on a day to day basis. If it's cold I do like them to wear coats, jackets (or in the case of a couple of my guys, cloaks). Cait usually takes her fiddle with her wherever she goes. My dark tan guy wears his cloak whenever he goes out to help shield him from the sun.

8. I love coats and hats and scarves et c. to begin with so whenever I bring some of the resin lodgers on a trip outside I like to dress him/her to survive the chilly Scandinavian weather. ^_^ Whenever I give one of them a face-up now a days I always use UV-cut so I feel quite safe bringing them outside. :3

9. Mine have had MSC UV-cut on all their face-ups and exposed areas, so I'm not worried too much about yellowing really. I have a sweet red duffle coat from Dollmore for my SD girl, it's the same colour as mine! I haven't dared take her out in hers while I'm wearing mine yet :lol: I don't know what the civilians would think!

Shoes are a necessity if we're going outside. I don't think a doll is 'finished' until they have their own pair of shoes in their own style, and it depends on the weather what they wear. If it's quite rainy or overcast, I won't bring a doll out, but if it's a little bit cold I have got jackets, hats, scarves and fingerless gloves for them.

I don't bring props out with my dolls unless I'm going to take pictures of them. I'd take little food items if we were having a mock picnic etc, but not if we're just out for a walk.

10. I dress my dolls for the season so if they're going out in winter they often have a coat & hat & boots on. And really they just go out to meet-ups, photoshoots & occasionally fabric shopping. They travel in a carrier anyway.

I don't take food or toys unless I need accessories for pics & I've never put extra UV coating on them. I will take chairs to meet-ups so I can display them safely. But really, they're dolls; they don't get hungry or lonely.

11. I pick them up in whatever they are wearing at the time, put them into one of my doll carriers and take them out.

My dolls can't get cold, they don't care about looking stylish, they don't eat and they don't get bored so they don't need anything like that.

12. If I had more clothes for my dolls, they'd probably be dressed appropriately for the weather anyway, and I did put Riddick's hood on when I took him out on a drizzly winter day for photos. Crow has a scarf on right now, but he probably won't wear it in the summer. I think winter photos look better if they're dressed for winter, and it's cuter to have them dressed appropriately for the weather. If I was taking them shopping with me or to work or something, I'd just check quickly to make sure they were fully dressed and didn't have anything easily losable on (and that their wigs were on firmly) and go. For long trips they'd go in the carrier, for quick local shopping trips they'd probably be on my sister's lap since chances are she'd be going with me.

I wouldn't take food and drink or toys (books for my guys probably) unless I was planning a photoshoot that needed them. They don't get hungry or bored, though they sometimes do LOOK bored. (I do keep their books and laptops with them when they're sitting around at home, because they do look bored just sitting there!) If I was taking them to work where they'd be sitting on my desk all day I might bring a laptop and book, since they'd look cute like that.

I'm careful about not exposing them to sun while sitting around for any length of time (my room is very dark all the time so I keep them sitting out), but for a photo shoot, quick drive to the store or meet or something I'm not going to worry too much. Though since Crow is white skin I'll be more careful with him - I might get a baby blanket or something in case I need to cover him - though he could always just go back in the carrier. I don't have any UV cut MSC to coat them, but I might try to get some in the future. It's not a high priority for me, though.

13. Special clothes? No, not really. I mean, I won't put them in anything that I wouldn't wear. I do have a jacket, and socks and all. But they don't have coats or scarfs or anything like that.

Take some food with you just in case your doll gets hungry? Not unless it's part of the shoot. Food is too small and a hassle. I might bring like a cupcake or something depending on where we're going but not a meal.

Or a toy just in case they get bored? Oh yes. Alice has a little stuffed clown she can carry around. She loves her clown :)

Drench them in UV protection? I'm just careful to make sure they aren't in direct sunlight. That's a no-no.

14. This is a great post! :) Thanks for all the great info. I want to take my doll outside in a couple of months for a photo shoot. Do I need to coat him with UV coating ? He is not coated at all. I am worried because in live in Arizona where it is very sunny mostly all year long. He will be in a historical encampment under tents most of the time. Also, what is the best kind of carrier that I can get for him? I saw some carriers on Dollmore that I really fancied. Is a dark carrier or light carrier best, so he does not get stained? What about pillows for the carrier? Is it okay to dress him in his clothing and his wig when he is tavelling in his carrier. Or it is best to dress him on location, so he does not get stained. Does he need a wig cap?? What about a sleeping bag for him, if I am taking him over night away from home? I have so many questions. Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give me.

15. Special Clothes: Luel get's dressed in weather appropriate clothing...so he's yellowed some over his first summer. But right now all he wears is long-sleeved stuff no matter what so that hopefully his spare hand parts will yellow to match the color he is now xDD As for Vestige...his wardrobe is much smaller, and since he's so big, he hardly leaves the house anyway ^^;

Food: I don't have doll sized food =3=;

Toy for Boredom: ...I use to. Until I lost Luel's bear Machiavelli at ComicCon...Now I'm afraid to take their stuff with them.

UV Protection: Eh, my MSC is just flat...no UV protection there. Oh well.

16. Special clothes? A coat, hat, or scarf so that they don't get cold?
      Shoes are a must, of course.

Take some food with you just in case your doll gets hungry?
      No... usually I go to a cafe if I'm hungry and offer my doll some of whatever I'm eating. They usually aren't interested in anything but clothes though.

Or a toy just in case they get bored?
      Claudia goes everywhere with her doll rabbit, Manna.

Drench them in UV protection? <-- I guess this is the thing I'm most interested in. I'm paranoid that my dolls will yellow quickly...so paranoid that I avoid putting them anywhere near windows. *_*
      I give them the routine whole-body wipe down and extra coat of MSC. I don't take them out often though.

I want my dolls to see the world! Don't you? :)
      Not if it means risking losing them forever...

17. unless its french resin I wouldnt worry too much as long as he isn't in direct sunlight for long periods, just try an minimise exposure and you should be fine

I haven't heard of any staining caused by dollmore carriers so again I wouldn't worry too much, just pick your favorite, some carriers are designed so you can put pillows in some don't really need it but they wouldn't hurt if you have them

genrally its fine to leave them dressed, although if theres an item of clothing thats easily creased I would take that item off. as for the wig, I put a kneehigh fishnet stocking over my dolls head when I transport him in a bag :lol: they cost like £1 for 2 pairs from the supermarket and it works like a wig net to help stop his wig getting tangled or creased (pop the face protecor of first)

some dark wigs have been known to stain, but then again so have some silicone wig caps, if you have trouble with the wig slipping I would just put an elastic band around your dolls head before putting the wig on

I would just pack the doll into your carrier at night, I guess if you really wanted to you could get him a sleeping bag but I really dont think its necissary

but yeah I don't really do anything special, if we aren't going far I eaither sit with them on my lap (usually if there just one) or just sit them on the back seat (if theres two), if we are traveling farther and I need to pack them into a bag I so what I said above with the fishnet, and add a couple of pillows to cushion them but thats it.

I don't dress them specially or coat them or anything, and I wouldn't take a toy unless it was part of the character or I wanted a photo prop, something like that.

18. I haven't done anything real special for my dolls when I take them out other than keeping them out of direct sunlight for a long period of time. Clothes I do try to stick to longer things in the winter, but it's whatever floats my boat that day. I don't have an offical doll carrier so for right now I just transport them in their boxes. I had a nasty mishap with Rhiannon's fingers last August for not being more mindful of her hands while she was being carried and long story short two fingers on her left hand snapped off and I had to order a new hand as I couldn't find the fingers. So a nice carrier of any kind or their box is the safest if bringing more than one out. When it's just one I just carry them with me.

Yellowing doesn't happen as fast as everyone thinks. It's gonna happen eventually no matter what you do and worrying about it all the time is just a waste of energy. Resin is going to turn yellow and you will notice it unless you paint it. Like resin figures you wouldn't see them turning colors cause of the paint layer on top, but if broken you would notice the resin isn't totally white.

Clothes do not stain REAL fast unless the fabric has not been treated at all or the fabric gets a tiny bit damp and an easy-bleed color will bleed onto the resin, but that's simple to get off if it just happened. Which is why take one of those magic erasers with you no matter where you go with the dolls. Just make sure to change the clothes out often and you won't have anything staining the dolls.

Wigs and wig caps. Unless your doll wears a black wig all the time you don't really need a wig cap. Now the wig net barring a super long wig or a fancy styled one that you cannot get back into that style easy, I find I don't need it, but others I know only take the wigs in wig nets and style them once at the meet up or other place.

19. Thank you, Vulpes and Slrphebos for all the helpful tips! :) :) :) :)

20. I made Artemys a sky blue fleece jacket for the winter season, but before that, he only had a nace warm black sweater I made for him. The jacket was meant to be worn over top of the sweater, but It ended up being too bulky so he doesn't wear both at the same time. I made him a fleece scarf too, but for christmas My friend Clare knitted him a dark blue hat and scarf set. They match his jacket so nicely! He also has a purple velvet smoking jacket. He has a little silver bag with an "A" on it (For Artemys!=D) that he carries around with snacks in it. Like doughnuts, a soda can, and orange, a hamburger and hot dog, an ice cream cone, and even toothbrush and toothpaste for after! (Mostly Erasers from japan made to look like real food. Very realistic and perfect size for dolls! cost me 25 cents a peice!)
      And I really don't worry too much about sun protection, I mean I carry him with me EVERYWHERE, but if he ever needs shelter he fits nicely into my bag. (Even tho he's 60cm >< and he hates the bag! XD)