1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Presentation on BJDs for an anime club...but...

Apr 7, 2010

1. There are a couple of animes with BJDs so you could bring them up? Also maybe watch the second of Japan-o-rama on dollfie LINK. It gives a bit of cultural and historical aspect.

2. Oh wow akikazu, that video is amazing! I may show it to my club 8D

3. Welcome. I love that video, I like watching it, especially the end where they accuse BJDs for the reproduction crisis :)

4. All I can say is if you ever watch the movies "Dead Silence" (features those creepy ventriloquist dummies) and/or "Dolls", even if you don't have any adverse reaction, you should take the time to see why they may be creeped out.

If you want me to be honest, I love dolls, have tons of different kinds, and even want a BJD. But, I actually have a little phobia of the, too! If you want to make them think they're creepy, get some LDDs - Living Dead Dolls from Mezco Toys; now THOSE are meant to be scary.

But if they're scared, doing a presentation about ABJDs isn't going to instantly convert them. Phobias are deep-rooted a lot of the time (especially doll ones). It may make them think ABJDs aren't so scary, but it isn't going to instantly cure them of their doll fears. And if they're still not convinced about your dolls, your club leader would have to be pretty moronic and shallow to blame you. A good leader - or even an ok one - would have the brains to understand that you did the best you could, you should be respected, and you like what you'll like. So, even if you don't convert anyone, or make them understand your hobby better, they'll still like and respect you if they did before.

5. If it's an anime club there are those who are bound to know about Gothic & Lolita fashion, of which the followers of seem to love their Dollfies.
      Also, if they think they are creepy and weird, what an extraordinary opportunity to teach them differently. :) Show them all sorts of varieties, you might end up with more than a few interested.

6. Surely you've given the presentation by now?

Anyway, let me second the "most people just say it" thing. I used to have a major spider phobia and I would be paralyzed with fear if I saw one, until I got enough gumption to leave the room. It took a long time to get to a point where I could be in the same room with a spider without flipping out. So perhaps your club members "don't like" dolls or think they're weird or a little icky, but I bet they do not have a full-blown phobia. Otherwise I'd guess the thought of going to Toys R Us freaks them out terribly.

Just make sure you're showing dolls doing respectable things, with all their body parts intact and their eyes pointing in acceptable directions. And also, show how they actually have something to do with anime, because basically? They don't. Volks has about 5% "to do" with anime because they produce licensed goods sometimes, but then you start getting into the other companies and the connection gets smaller and smaller ...

7. I also think it would (would have been?) a good idea to show dolls dressed as Anime characters.

Also, focus on the customizability factor by, perhaps, showing a pic of a "default" doll w/pics of some of the ways that sculpt has been used to create several different characters w/different eyes, wigs, clothes, etc. In my experience, even people who aren't "into dolls" can appreciate the huge difference that a simple faceup change can make.

Also, I'd wager that there are more than a few people who'd want their own after they see how a "regular doll" can become their favorite anime character. :)

8. My closest and best best best friend is utterly TERRIFIED of dolls. [for what reason, I don't know. She never bothered to explain].
      I just told her it is a sort of an art tool. The dolls are fully customizable to almost every extent! She won't go near me when I'm on the computer anymore, but she gets it.
      I'm slowly getting her sister into them, though! XDD

9. Do a lead in speech?

Hook them with a good line, then start with something they're familiar with. Then lead to something mixing with dolls. Then go to something less "anime" perhaps, if you have time, showing a subculture in which the dolls are readily accepted. (Or skip this.) Then ask if the room would like to see one in person. If not, show photographs. Pass them around. Do not allow questions at this point or free communication. Tell them they can have time later for that. Then go into the aspects of the BJD hobby. Then allow them the ability to ask questions or give feedback.

Control the speech, don't let it become a forum for them to rag on you.

Anime > Rozen Maiden > Lolita Subculture > BJD > Your Doll > Aspects (Customization, Price, Age Groups (not just a childish hobby))

At least, that's what I would try to do. But I've always been better at planning than standing. XD

10. Just an update--I did do the presentation and it was a fantastic success! I appealed to the artsy side of the club members and really got them interested. One even looked up a bunch of dolls she liked over the summer!

And, I'm doing it again this year for the benefit of the new members of the group. 8D

11. That's so awesome that your presentation went well... I know how nerve wracking they can be. At my old highschool, some of my former students started up an anime club. A lot of the people who attended it were artists, and drew a lot of anime style characters. Maybe you could also explore the character embodiment aspect for the next presentation... because even if the members of the club don't draw or write, or have characters of their own, I bet there's one they'd love to make with a doll.