1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Pros and Cons of SD vs. MSD

Sep 4, 2005

1. SD measurements can be easier to sew for too. Larger pattern cuts, and you can use bigger buttons or clips. MSDs can be easier to transport, but I don't have a favorite size.

But, if a doll calls to you, go for it! Think on it, look at other pictures or other face ups done to the same sculpt, but the 1/2 dreaming eyes can be very pretty and thoughtful-looking.
      Even if you thought an SD size was for you, but that one MSD makes you look twice (or four times), rock on.

2. I only have an MSD doll, and I don't know what I would have done with an SD-size! She fits perfectly on my desk right now, since I have limited room at the moment. Maybe I'll eventually get an SD, but I think if I get another doll it'll be an MSD to keep her company.

3. Well i can't really say anything since I only have an MSD but to tell you the truth I love him to death. Right now I don't have really fancy clothes for him...his pants are made out of the neck of a tube sock and i wrapped a shoe lace around his abdomane area to make the apperance of bandages and I got him a pair of shoes off the internet. But I still love him to death. I hope to get a bigger doll but right now i'm satisfied with my MSD, Zayn. So yah i am not for one or the other. lol

4. I started with a Kid Delf as my first doll, but ended up with about 11 SD-sized dolls before getting my first MNF and just falling totally head over heels for mature minis. All my 60cm dolls found new homes since then and I just can't get enough mini fee. They're just as versatile and much more manageable. :)

5. I love MSDs because they generally have a cute look. SDs tend to have a sexier, more mature look, although there are exceptions in both cases. I never found clothes to be a problem for MSDs. So, it depends on what you like! <3

6. This is very interesting!
      I love MSD size, but I also like more mature looks.
      It's been crazy lately! I love Delf Lishe, but I would like to have only MSD sized dolls. I keep looking at photos of Delf Lishe, and MNF Lishe... will I ever decide?!!!
      Your comments are very helpfull though!

7. I have both SD size girls and MSD Size girl. I like how portable MSD can be bring two out for photoshop without killing my back. Whereas taking 2 SD size go out is a bit heavy (done it) but if you traveling with a car then is ok.

I think taking photo MSD and SD is nice as I like to see my collection to be a whole family some big and some small. ( Although they are all the same sex just now)

Regarding on the not fond of the eyes have you search on the gallery see is there anybody out there have done modification on the eyes of the scalp that you after?Maybe you will like him more?

My Clio have sort of half close eyes as well at first I hessitate on bringing her home but is over come by the express she have (which I find fully open eyes sometimes lack of )
      I actually like taking photo of her. so maybe you not fully sure just now but once you got him you might enjoy having him.

8. I have mostly MSD sizes, and just one of the SD size--and I personally find it easier to work with the MSD size. I also like the "cute" factor more than some of the sexiness found in the larger SD dolls for my own personal collection.

I also have found it very easy to find clothing for the MSD size dolls, and although I haven't gotten a chance to collect much clothing yet for my SD girl, I've found that many of the items that I like for that size are quite a bit more expensive compared to my MSD.

9. I like the mini size because the proportions often feel easier to deal with. Sometimes with standards you start feeling like they're all arms and legs. But I often have trouble finding what I want for minis clothing-wise. Since I own boys, I think it can get especially frustrating since girls seem more popular and they have a lot of stuff. Standard boys have an easier time, though, which is why I tend to like them better. And since they're bigger, you can go a little crazier on the detail when making them clothes.

If anyone was wondering what's the weight difference between SD and MSD, I weighed mine just now (I bought a new postal scale today, so I'm weighing everything to try it out, lol) and my MSD is 1 lb 9 oz. My SD, however, clocks in at 4 lb 2 oz. So that is something to think about if you are planning to carry your doll around a lot. Both of my dolls are Volks, btw, and they are generally heavier...but you get the idea.

10. The thing about MSD sizes is that it's harder to find mature looking boys. there are so many gorgeous man dolls in SD size. However I love how portable my dolls are and I am in love with MNF all of a sudden. It's true the selection is much narrower for these dolls but I still manage to have my kids dress the way I like. I'm a huge fan of mature minis. I think every company should put their dolls in the shrinker and make them 1/4 size for me. I'm crossing my fingers for IH mini males (next year so I can save up.) It's just really hard to find mature male faces. The minifee boys are cute but none of them really captivate me. . . sigh. All my girls want boyfriends. . . maybe it's because my current boyfriend is 6 years older than me and I love how mature he is. I do have a Lati Blue boy but we're having a bit of trouble bonding (I'm not sure how much he likes me) and it's really hard to find clothes for him.

11. Hehe, there's a demand because no one can find them!

12. I had started out wanting a SD for the mature female looks, but eventually went down hard for a minifee. She's mature like the SD girls I had been looking at, but small enough to fit in my pack and doesn't seem like she'd be dominating my desk. I've only seen SD's once, but while they were really cool, I think I'm one to lean in the MSD direction due to portability.
      Like sspearls, I'd really like to have a mature MSD male sculpt, and while I'm saving for one, I'll bide my time and see what Fairyland puts out over the next year or so. My girl may have to have an SD guy friend-not that I'm sure she'd mind, she'd probably love to push him around.

13. I have 2 MSD size girls and a SD boy (70cms). I love my MSD girls very much because they are 'fun-size', they stand and pose quite well and I love shopping for clothes and items for them. I recently sold a 65cm girl (Soom Beryl) - I did not enjoy handling her as much and clothing was a bit awkward to find for her curvaceous figure, though I loved her senior look and she was beautiful - that being said, I'm loving my DZ Wing, who though is big was my first abjd love (so of course I had to have him). I REALLY do love Sooms Sabik (80cm Mecha Angel), like really love him too but am worried about his size....anyway, I decided that all my girls (four) will be MSD (adding Narae and MNF Marcia to the collection) and my boy(s) will be larger - though I will only have two of them.

14. I think that MSDs are easier to handle and carry for a first time BJD owner. However, SDs are FAR easier to shop and find clothing for.

15. I love msd size but I have a problem with boys. I don't find mature boys. someone know any website where sells boys a little more tall that MSD girls and with a face a little more mature that the usual?
      I think that all boys in MSD size has a kid face. I need a boyfriend to my MSD girl (MSD F18) a little more tall and a little more mature. Could someone help me?

16. I seriously am having this same debate with myself- I haven't bought my first doll yet, and I'm looking at both sizes. I'm thinking I should start with a minifee, because I'm not yet really financially stable (broke college student) and she would be much easier to carry around(also less expensive!) But UGH there are so many beautiful SD sized dolls....

17. I had two SDs and they were beautiful dolls, but - too big for me... :) I guess I'm a miniaturist and smaller dolls are better for me. I'm stuck with 1/6 scale dolls now as their size gives all these +++ of less space needed; less material needed to make costumes; less expenses and so on.

18. This thread has been extremely helpful! While I am still torn between which size will be best for me, I have a lot of excellent points to think about. :aheartbea

19. SD is good only that they have the most detailed and adult molds. For SD you find more free patterns and very cool.. and also wigs, you find the most and cool wigs only for SD size. (msd wigs are good but never as good as for sd as models).
      But SD and start to buy size SD it means to spend a Lot and More money, so is impossible for me to spend that much. (everything in size sd is double costs, outfits, shoes, etc) . So I would think really well if start with SD.
      For me, MSD are the max size I can pay for. Also because I dont have that much space!
      So, definitively, I m glad MSD size exist! xD

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

20. I have an Volks SD which is my first BJD type. I also recently adopted another Volks SD and a Magic Time 1/6. The SD13 and smaller size appeal to me so I will stick with these sizes. I have my eye on Minifee, MSD, DDGr and DDdy for future adoptions.