1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Psychology related to dolls

Jan 4, 2007

1. Here's something that just made me laugh...

I was having a conversation with a friend of mine who is a psychologist and I showed him photos of several BJDs. Here is he's psychological analysis of us doll lovers:

Wanting dolls that realistic, spending so much money on them, devoting so much time and attention to them and even giving them a personality can only mean one thing... it's your maternal instincts coming to surface, you want to be a mom!

I don't know what the rest of you think but I don't feel any instincts surfacing :lol: Do you agree with my friend or do you think there is a another inconscious reason for all of this? ;)

2. I think the biggest implication is wanting to be completely in control. Cos that's what BJDs are all about.

3. XD It's an interesting theory, but I don't think it would apply to all doll owners. There are probably other factors that would have to be taken into consideration.

Personally, I like dolls and want them because they are beautiful and I can see my original characters coming to life through them. ^^

And I have absolutely no desire to ever have children. ^^;

4. mwwwwaaaahhhaaaaahaaa, YES I DO HAVE A GOD COMPLEX!!!
      i'm such a meglomaniac, i can control them! (to some extent) :lol:

sorry, couldn't help myself there, ahem, more seriously, it's unlikely that i'll ever have kids, but mums dog is my baby since my cats died, unless my niece is around (they're in korea at the mo) so i think that possibly there is some of that bodyclock business going on in my case.
      at least when you drop 'em on their heads they don't scream ! ;)

don't forget that the earlier dolls were made to teach girls how to look after babies and dolls houses about running a home, and they were usually called poppets and mannikins (which literally mean little man)

5. Sounds like Freudian logic to me. Maternal instincts and all that. There's so many ways you can come at this psychologically. Like babytarragon said, it could have to do with a power complex and wanting control. You can also say that you're trying to express your true self through your doll, or how you wish you could be, therefore projecting that into your doll. If someone's lost a family member, you can say that it's their way of coping with that loss.

But honestly, I think it's just about the fun. There's nothing psychologically wrong with it at all. Unless, of course, it becomes pure obsession. And not that silly sort of "Oh, they're fun and need clothes! hehe!" sort of thing. The sort of "I haven't eaten for five days to get them a new outfit" sort of thing, is obsession. To the point where it gets harmful.

6. :| ...suuuuure...I'm almost 23 and a woman and I never plan to have kids, I don't even like them. I don't think your friend is right when it comes to ALL dollowners...so I do not agree with him.

Plus Kaoru's character is older than me...and I see him as a gorgeous piece of art

7. XD I was thinking that last night!

I'd say it's not that exactly, but just the desire to take care of somebody that needs it.

And I would also say that that's not ALWAYS the case. Some BJD lovers do it to collect them.

8. Interesting. As a matter of fact I love kids. Can't wait to start a family of my own, though it will be many years. But I don't express maternal instinct towards my doll and even as a young child was their "older sister" rather than "mom".

9. Beware a psychologist with a ready theory -- (Even physical doctors - I've worked for some - I've found to focus on the most simple and most common explanations. And tend to fight against the out-of-the-ordinary possibilities!)

My feeling is that dolls are just one more focus for the innate creativity of humans. If there's one thing that characterizes us, it's our ability (and desire) to personify, "humanify" and elevate inanimate objects and "lower creatures" onto our level - or higher! Hence, our actively created bonds with animals, possessions, objects, buildings, places, theoretical spirits and entities, and anything else we can create a relationship with!

And BTW - do the male owners of dolls want to be "moms" too? Or are the long resin legs some kind of phallic symbol for guys who can't afford BMW's? :)

Nah. If we were completely in control, we wouldn't have so many posing problems. AND our dolls wouldn't ever be able to refuse the personalities or names we chose....

10. or people to not 'bond' with a doll !

11. And don't forget that earlier than that, dolls were expressions of religious and magical impulses.

I think humans have been making dolls ever since some spill pattern on a skin hide seemed to be looking back at them. LONG BEFORE Disney, in fact....

12. hahaha :lol: You rock!

13. I rather think that's an oversimplification. Personally I've no desire to have children of my own, and my dolls certainly aren't treated as my 'kids' in any way -- and I know for a fact that I'm not the only one who feels that way here. Sorry, but I don't think your friend's theory holds any water at all - if he's keen to analyse us, he should do so from inside the hobby after closer observation of trends and behaviours, instead of diagnosing from on high in such a detached manner. Things often look completely different from the outside than they do when you're in the middle of them, and I think the BJD hobby is one of those things.

14. ROFL, so true, cookie !

i have to say with regard to my first post:

i love having the excuse to own dolls again, it's usuall taught that you grow out of playing with dolls and i felt reall odd being 30 and buying a doll for MYSELF !

also, when i see al the cute, little huggables, that's what i think, same as when i see a bunch of kittens !!!
      (does that still mean i want to be a mom?)

15. Me? Wanting kids? Your friend is nuts! :lol:

Theres no way I want kids at my age, lol. My dolls are simply an artistic outlet, nothing more, nothing less. That's like him saying me creating characters for my writing is me being maternal...:roll:

16. Amen to that! ^^ I can't count how many times i've bought something for my dolls that i think they would like, and then having to turn around and sell it! >< But, being a mom? UM, no thanks. I'm a girl and all, but i don't like kids, only babies, since they can't talk. Heck, i think most men are pigs, so there's no way i would want to be a mom and have the normal family" that would go with it.:ablah:

17. Haha, I know it's true for me... I want to be a mommy more than ANYTHING! But alas, I'm 15, and having a child now wouldn't be the best choice... So I'll stick with getting a doll. :-P

18. lol, pop psychology at it's best!

19. I don't think that my boy is going to be representative of a child. Granted, I want some eventually, but not now. To me, he's more like a partner in crime. Someone with whom to annoy/creep out the "normal" people. X3

20. Kind of hard to give an entire group of people one, giant psychoanalysis. Harder still is to do so from a few pictures, and without having spoken to any BJD collectors aside from you.

Personally, I'm not at all fond of the idea of having children. My maternal instinct is reserved for my nieces and younger cousins, not my belongings.

I collect dolls because they're pretty, and I like pretty things. Plus, I get to change their clothes, hair, and eyes; with the fringe benefits of always having a photography model on hand. So, if my doll-collecting could be attributed to anything psychological--it would be something akin to a God Complex.