1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Q: Artist or Collector? A: Doll Enthusiast!

Dec 28, 2009

1. oh wow, you have brought up a topic very dear to my heart! I am an artist of OOAK soft sculpture art animals, I create animals that are living in my mind as well as from photos that people send me to make their precious wee one....I see animals and try in my mind to figure out how to recreated them. BUT I am also a collector of pretty things, that is what drew me to BJD's, their beauty, so it is kind of funny I create art for collectors of one type of art but collect a complete different art myself.
      I have just started collecting BJD's but I am sure there are many that will speak to me and have to come and stay. For me it isn't the investment aspect of it, I love a cute face and if it speaks to me I have to bring it home to sit and keep watch over me as I create my art, I have also found they are very inspirational.

2. I think I'm an artist who happens to have a lot of dolls (strictly abjd). I don't ever think of the lot of them as a collection but always as crazy little things that happen to live with me. Some people have told me that having so many makes them a collection. Which I guess they could kind of be, but each and every one of them has never been on a shelf or has stayed in the same spot for very long.

3. Wow, I just clamored for a little therapy and got this deep philosophical discussion. It never stops impressing me how intelligent, eloquent and insightful the folks on this forum are. Thanks for taking time and giving this issue some thought. What I gather from this whole experience is that perhaps it was a bit silly of me to hate myself for desiring a doll for doll's sake. From now on I shall embrace my Inner Collector and have fun with it.

The most valuable point, to my mind, was brought up by Rikka_Mika, and that's the term DOLL ENTHUSIAST. It seems quite encompassing, and I really love it.

Thanks to everybody, again.

4. I think it's wrong to apply the term 'collector' to what you seem to mean. 'Investor' or 'reseller' would fit better.

I consider myself a collector. Before BJDs, I collected MLPs and built up a collection of a few hundred. After that (but still before BJDs) I collector Pullips, and built up a collection of 14. This is ignoring my collections of pens, stamps, stickers, Pokemon/Magic: The Gathering cards, various book series, etc etc etc.

Now I'm collecting BJDs, and I have two full dolls, two floating heads (with legs and arms to match, and another head on the way), an extra torso, an extra set of legs, and some wings and talons flying over from Korea right now.

There isn't a single case where I have collected things to resell, or to turn a profit from. I collect things because I find it exciting to complete 'sets', and because I enjoy having a number of things that 'fit together' in a way that unrelated things can't. I would never have imagined that 'collector' could be conflated with 'reseller'. They're such distinct concepts to me.

I'd also consider myself an artist, because all my BJDs (and Pullips, and some MLPs) have storylines behind them. I have plans for modding my dolls, and half my Pullips were customs I designed, and I customised ponies as well.. I plan on painting my Amber's face-up myself, and sewing outfits for all my original characters. I've already got thousands of words dedicated to the backstories of my BJDs.

I absolutely think it's possible to be an artist and a collector. It's also possible to be a collector and a reseller (investing in some dolls to fund the ones you really want, or cycling through your collection as you find 'better' fits), or an artist and a reseller (plenty of artists buy dolls, give them face-ups, and then sell them for a profit). There's nothing mutually exclusive about any of it.

5. probably an artist, i dont have a doll, but i am making one haha. i really prefer artists dolls over the compant bjd makers. pretty much if i actually bought a doll i would just be looking at it not playing with it lol and it would preferably be a doll by a particular artist (Miura Etsuko or Marina Bychkova).