1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions for owners of older dolls: 10+ years

Jun 24, 2017

1. Mani, 2007 Luts CP Delf tanning El

Were you the first owner of this doll? No, I am his second owner.

When did you purchase it? In May of 2011

Do you believe in the fabled "radioactive green" that all resin supposedly turns into? You mean Beauty Green. Yes. I had a Delf Shiwoo that was mint green.

How yellowed is the resin? How brittle? Mani isn't very yellowed, although I'd say he has faded just a little. The tanning Delfs were always a little brittle. That is why some ended up with cracked necks,

If you have a newer doll, do you prefer the resin quality of the older or newer doll? The resin from Cerberus Project really hasn't changed that much.

Do you take any extra steps in the care of this doll? I do. I don't take him into direct sunlight much.

[​IMG]

2. Were you the first owner of this doll?
      No! I am at least the third owner of my Delf Soony, and at least the second of my Volks F-16.

When did you purchase it?
      Both were purchased in 2017 but both were made in 2007.

Do you believe in the fabled "radioactive green" that all resin supposedly turns into?
      You mean like the Delf "beauty green"? Absolutely! I owned an old white skin Delf Miyu a few years back and while I don't believe she was more than 5 or so years old, she was definitely yellowed and NOT green in the slightest. Nor is my white Volks boy, he's a very mellow creamy color. So it definitely isn't all resin. However, the picture evidence of other Delfs turning beauty green is undeniable!

How yellowed is the resin? How brittle?
      I don't have anything to compare it to, but I believe my Soony is only slightly yellowed. She seems to have been taken care of very well. However, my F-16 seems to be quite yellowed. He's pureskin white, but honestly he's the same color as a lot of other companies' NS (quite similar in shade to a brand new NS Luts neck donut I have, he's more of a yellow tone while the Luts is more pink though)

If you have a newer doll, do you prefer the resin quality of the older or newer doll?
      I don't currently have any other dolls, but their resin seems just as good as new dolls I've had in the past. The Volks resin is soooo nice and heavy, I love it.

Do you take any extra steps in the care of this doll?
      Nope! I gave them both a good cleaning when I got them and restrung my F-16 (I think his string was never changed in those 10 years!) but now I just treat them like any other doll.

3. I have a latidoll Chaim who when I look up the year he was made I believe was in 2006.

I was not the first owner. The first owner sold him on the marketplace as a full set and I purchased him. His outfit didn’t fit very well and he’s changed to a casual outfit...it needs changed and he needs a new faceup and wig. His faceup has faded for sure.

I purchased him probably in 2009 when I joined the forum...maybe 2010...

So he’s no longer white like his promo pics show but he’s not terribly yellow and certainly not green. He is probably more normal skin color now and he’s mellowed. I have an older dim Marianne doll who is more an ivory color...overall none of my dolls turned green or incredibly yellow.

He’s a hefty doll. For some reason I feel the older dolls were poured thicker (his torso for example has thick walls) I don’t believe he’s become more brittle. I think brittleness comes from Uv rays over oxidizing of the resin. If I had laid him in the sun for an hr then that would have made him brittle for example but he mostly sits on a shelf with his half smirk and doesn’t see a lot of sunlight.

I wouldn’t say I prefer one resin over the other but I do say the engineering of newer dolls I prefer. Double jointing, lips to improve holding poses ect.

He gets about the same treatment as my other dolls. He has a special space on the shelf and hasn’t moved. Like I said I don’t play with him much since I don’t like his body engineering. He does need a good wash though

4. My oldest (and first) doll is a Volks SDC Kurenai, made in 2005.

Were you the first owner of this doll? No, I got her second-hand.

When did you purchase it? March of 2006.

Do you believe in the fabled "radioactive green" that all resin supposedly turns into? Whaaat? No lol I've heard of "Beauty Green" but I think that was only one type of resin from one company.

How yellowed is the resin? How brittle? She’s quite yellow compared to my other dolls, but she did spend a few years in South Carolina with me and I took her outside for photos often. Didn’t protect her well from sunlight. I wouldn’t say she’s brittle though.

Here she is in the middle. Doll on the left made in 2017, doll on the right made in 2011. Yeah, she's yellowed. (pardon the wig-less-ness)
      [​IMG]

If you have a newer doll, do you prefer the resin quality of the older or newer doll? I have several newer dolls, including one that was made less than a year ago, and although the coloring is nicer, there isn’t much of a difference.

Do you take any extra steps in the care of this doll? Nah. All my dolls get the same amount of love and care.

5. I can do this now, because I have been in the hobby for 10 years and have old dolls. XD

Were you the first owner of this doll?
      Of my first doll, who is 10 now, yes. I have a few others who are older, and I was not the first owner of those.

My oldest were all probably bought in the years 2008-09

Do you believe in the fabled "radioactive green" that all resin supposedly turns into?
      This was literally a few batches of WS from one company. So it's not all resin. At all.
      So no.

None of my resin has brittled with age? I don't know why this is even a thing?
      As for yellowing, even my first doll who has yellowed hasn't turned bright yellow. He's just de-pinked. He's actually really close to my skin tone...

If you have a newer doll, do you prefer the resin quality of the older or newer doll?
      I will always prefer Alex to most all other resins. However I do like new Dollmore too. It's not really a fair comparison as they have changed resins a few times and he's an older version.

Not really. He gets the same treatment as all my dolls. He might actually be cared for less...? As I actually do frequently do things with him as opposed to some of my dolls which I haven't touched in years. Actual years.

6. Were you the first owner of this doll?
      I'm the 5th

Last month, but I beleive she is from 2003-4 (i've talked with her second owner)

Haven't heard of It

I think it's a little yellowed

I prefer the quality of the older but it's because It's from a better company

Nothing in special

#46 Ilzar, Apr 5, 2018
      Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    7. All of my 1/3 size dolls are at least 10 years old & in general I've had no problems except for some needing restringing which is really just normal maitinance. My beautiful tan Delfs have not turned green & while I'm sure that over the years other dolls have yellowed a bit, it's not really much &.tends to look like most companies normal yellow (rather than pink) resin. No screaming greens or yellows. Some were bought new & others secondhand. None are brittle. They are just aging nicely but I do keep them in a darkened room.

8. Were you the first owner of this doll?
      Yes, I'm the first owner of my DIM Flowne.

March 2008

Wasn't that only one specific group of WS dolls?

She has yellowed unevenly because I used to sit her in a sunny area for the first two years I had her.
      She's not a brittle at all; she recently survived a fall off of my desk when my cat knocked her over.

I don't have a newer doll to compare her to. My "newest" is 6 years old.

Other than keep her out of the sun, no.

9. I have more than a few who are at the 10 year mark, or close thereto... usually when I buy a doll, I buy it for life...

My Delfs Juri'05 and LuWen both classify... As do my Soom Beryl and Sard... Honestly most of mine probably clock in close to that age now that I think about it since many of the ones I bought later, I got used which makes some of them 10 years old like my Souldoll Soulkid Lily C. who is from 2008 too...

Were you the first owner of this doll? For the Juri05 and LuWen, no... Lily C no. Beryl and Sard yes.

When did you purchase it? March/April/May 2008 - Lily C was purchased in 2010.

I've seen the 'beauty green' of some of the old white skin delfs (as was said, circa 2005-2006). The first batch of Iplehouse Akando (tans) (2009 maybe?) also weren't UV stabilized and would turn patchily green and that was in the first few months... They fixed that fast though. It wasn't radioactive green though.

Yellowed - yup. The color is creamier - although as all my kids are blushed - and Soom Beryl was notoriously blushed in a very yellow color to start with - which freaked out a few owners when she arrived - so it can be hard to tell exactly how. Its hard to tell with my Souldoll since their resin has changed - but the new hand I got after her accident was blinding paperwhite and she is a soft creamy-grey-white and it did not match a BIT.

Brittle - not that I've noted. Yes, I broke the my Souldoll's fingers recently, but she was pulled off of a shelf 6 foot up...

If you have a newer doll, do you prefer the resin quality of the older or newer doll? No preference. I don't see much difference? The texture depends on the blushing/MSC etc. Company... more than just 'age'

Do you take any extra steps in the care of this doll? Nothing beyond the rest of my crew. Dolls are meant to be enjoyed.

10. Were you the first owner of this doll?
      I have quite a few older dolls. Most are secondhand but I do have a couple I bought directly from the company and have had for 10+ years.

I bought my first doll from a company in 2006 and still have him.

Nope nope nope nope. That's just goofy. I do have a green doll that is probably close to ten years old now but she also started out green. XD

Some resin has yellowed more than others, but none are banana yellow or even close to it. Also peanut brittle is delicious but it doesn't pertain to my dolls. ;)

I don't even know if this is a fair comparison to draw as I don't have any new dolls from the same company as older ones. I will say my favorite resins are Volks and CustomHouse.

Nah.

11. Five of my six dolls are 10 years +!

I am the first owner of all my dolls, except for my Volks Kun!

My DoC U I purchased in 2005
      My Zuzu Delf, CH Uriel, and CH Yeonu are from 2008
      My Volks Kun I purchased this year secondhand but she's from 2007.

None of my dolls are green!

None of my Resin dolls are brittle in the least bit!
      My customhouse dolls have aged the best. My CH uriel is still pink!
      They have all yellowed but it's so mild and hardly noticeable.

I have a new doll from April 2018, and although she's very pink and lovely, I don't prefer one over the other in terms of resin quality! I believe my Customhouse dolls have my favourite resin quality though.

I don't... every once in a while I clean them, but they are always out and on display, even when I had lived in sunny Las Vegas. :)

12. My customhouse petite ai is made in 2004, she is very yellowed now and dont pose well but resin condition still good! I am her 2nd owner if i m not wrong.

13. My Elfdoll Nabee is maybe 14. I'm not a doll expert so not entirely sure if yellowed. But skin tone is even. Definitely not green. Resin doesn't appear to be brittle but I haven't really broken two dolls (or one for that matter). She's massively heavy but she's my only 1/3 size so difficult to compare as far as resin thickness etc. The heaviness gives a subjective feeling of quality I guess.

14. My first doll was a littlefee who was 10 years old. She has mellow yellowed evenly over her entire body.. next to my new girls (ordered new this year) she is very noticeably a deeper colour, however it really doesn’t bother me in the slightest... she just looks like she has a different skin tone and I still find her very sweet and endearing :)

15. I was the first owner of a DoD Homme Ducan purchased in 2006, so he was definitely an elderly gent of 12 years.

DoD resin is very pink and pale and he mellowed to a color quite close to my brand new volks normal skin dolls so I definitely don’t believe in “radioactive green resin”.

I’ve never gotten another DoD doll much later than my first so I can’t comment on new vs old resin quality from the same company, but I definitely wish more dolls came in similar colors because it really ages excellently, especially considering I live in a country that’s both very hot & sunny throughout the year.

Same with all my dolls, he was coated with MSC, stored in his box unless I was taking photos and I was generally more gentle when handling him, no extreme poses or popping his limbs out of the socket to hold a pose.

16. 2004

1. CP Delf Elf El, bw

Elf El Vampire Head

2. CP Delf Elf Lishe, bw

Elf Lishe Vampire Head,

Elf Lishe Dreaming Head

1. CP Delf Elf Yder, bw. (3rd doll)

Elf Yder sleeping head,

2. CP Delf Juri Head, bw. (4th doll) (now have body, see below)

-----------Volks Cyndy 2 (6th doll) Made in 2005, but given to me later.

3. CP Luts Delf Miyu (60th doll) Made in 2005/06/07? -- but given to me later.

1. Volks One-Off Shirou Tachibana (5th doll)

1. Bambicrony Misty Blue Kumi Elf (7th)

2. Bambicrony Light Slate Grey Pepe (8th)

3. Tinybear/Whitley Wood Elf Bracken (9th)

4. Tinybear/Whitley Wood Elf Moona (12th)

5. Elfdoll Alice Cherry Blossom Gothic Hoody (10th)

===================================

Yes, except for Volks Cyndy 2 and CP/Luts Miyu who were both given to me by their first owner.

Dates listed above.

It was mostly SOME CP Beauty White (ws) dolls that were sometimes called Beauty Green. I have 4 bw CP dolls that are over 10 years old. One head looks slightly greenish, rather than yellowish... but I don't think it's all that green-ish, myself.

In my opinion, none are very yellow, and none are brittle at all. Yellowing is more obvious in the very early Volks ns( which I don't own)-- early beauty white and white skin dolls (which I DO own), and pre-UV-Cut MSC. Red in some resin mixes, can fade a bit. Also blue can fade a bit. But not always, and not always noticeable. Yellowing tends to be the resin itself--more obvious if it is transparent and uncolored, or white, since it has the white coloring and might shift to yellow slightly--but might not, depending on the mixture. Blue might shift to green a bit if the blue is very light and the resin is French Resin or slightly transparent. But it might NOT... or might not do it in an obvious way. Normal skin may shift towards the yellow over time, but might not.

I have some ws dolls that look more yellow because of the yellowed MSC. I don't know if it's JUST the msc because I have not removed their faceups to check it out.

It's all the same to me!

No. I try and keep all my dolls out of direct sunlight. All my dolls are out and displayed, although in a dark-ish room! Sometimes they are in lighter rooms for a while. And I do take them outside for photos at times.

-------------------------------------------------

Volks 2005 Cyndy 2 and 2006 Shirou One-Off at last year's San Diego BJD Con--
      [​IMG]

#56 april, Jul 27, 2018
      Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
    17. I think I got my DZ Shoyo around 2007 (I know I took her to band camp my senior year of HS and graduated in '08). As of right now, she's a wee bit yellow, but not green, and was kind of a yellow NS to begin with. She was new, though I ordered a second hand DOC Twing-Key shortly after. Her skin was less yellow, and while a bit yellowed with time, is still not like my DZ's. I've kept them both away from direct sunlight for the most part though, and even been careful about indirect, and started keeping them in boxes with no light the past few years when not using. I also got an unoa, second hand, a few years later that had been a store model (and so in sunlight) and while she's yellowed some... it's not as bad as I thought it'd be. Maybe I'll peroxide bath them all later...

I don't think their resin has gotten any more brittle over time.

That all said, compared to newer dolls... Newer dolls def seem to have less yellow to them overall, like as a factory thing, they seem to have more of a creamy pink complexion, and not yellow base. (Maybe this is just the companies I bought from, like DZ). My DoC, DZ, and Unoa Sist are all single jointed and OH MAN. Double joints are such a cool thing. Like I remember watching them start to roll out new bodies and loving the pose ability, not always loving the design, watching companies work to make them look elegant. I want to upgrade my girls to double joints. (DoD isn't even a company now)...

So yeah, I prefer the newer, more creamy pink resin colors over the ones with yellow undertones and the newer bodies. I haven't bought a new doll in a few years, so I really can't speak to if there have been changes in how resin feels or acts since then, but overall just the color, so much improvement. Like I cannot stress this enough lol.

18. I have severals that's aged 10+ from year 2006-2008.

The Luts one yes, the Volks one all second handed

The Luts' one was 2007-2008, the Volks one a little later.

Nope. The last time I heard this it was about the super old version of delf white skin. That was the news when I started the hobby back in 2007.

Yellowed? ummm I think they are more of creamy colors? Not really so strikingly yellowed. It doesn't really bothers me as much. I hybrid most of my dolls, and they seems to still match the skin that I mix match them with, so it doesn't give me any issue so far. Brittle? So far, no such thing. They're still as strong as they were when I first got them :o

TBH, I love the texture and weight of the old dolls but I have no complains of the newer one though they're a tad lighter than the older ones.

I put them in dark boxes and clean them every several years or whenever they're dirty.
      If they are dirty, cleans them. Dish-washing soap, toothpaste, cleaner sponge, etc, I tried almost all of them.
      I believe they'll get yellowed however proper you take care of them so might as well make use of all the time you have with them than just keep them in box all the time.

19. I just became the proud owner of a Wishel, the youngest of which are eleven years old. I might be able to help some here.

Nope. I'm not the second owner either! Poor Wozzeck has been bounced around a lot.

'Bout a month ago. Took one week to pay him off and another half to get him, so I've had him about two and a half weeks now.

Actually...I'd never heard of that!!! I thought resin just yellowed!

Wozzeck's resin has a lovely creamy cast to it, sort of like French vanilla ice cream. I actually had a hard time telling he'd yellowed some until I compared him to my newer dolls. The resin feels very robust, though I still am careful not to drop my boy!

Oh gosh...it's hard to say! My newer dolls are smoother, but I wouldn't necessarily say their quality is better. My newer dolls eke Wozzeck out in a few other crucial ways, but I'd say his old resin is on the same keel as their newer resin.

Not really. I'm just careful not to drop him, touch his face-up, leave him in the sun, or try to stand him unassisted. Even though he's the oldest of my ball-jointed dolls Wozzeck is just one of the guys.

20. Most of my dolls are pretty old from probably 2006-2009 and I'm the first owner of all of those ones. They're all a little more yellowish than how they started, but it's nothing awful or unnatural looking. The only special care I took was to keep them away from sunlight as much as possible. As far as I can tell none of my dolls seem to have become brittle, since none of them have ever broken or cracked.