1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Real or Surreal?

Jun 12, 2016

1. Here's a little Psychology 101 here for you all.

Are your dolls just dolls to you, or real people to you? If real people, do they live in our world, or do they live in a world apart, no matter how far or close to ours it may be? If they are a doll, are they aware they are a doll or do they think they are something else?

For me, my dolls realize they are dolls, living in our world, but they have their own special spark inside them and can do what they please, despite the fact.

What about you? This question was brought up during the Resin Session last night.

2. I switch between interacting with my dolls as dolls, and having them interact with each other as real people in their own world, if that makes sense... ^^;

3. My dolls are characters. I refer to them as if they're characters in a story or tv show or something. They aren't "dolls", they're avatars of characters that live in my head... it's weird. I'm a roleplayer so character creation is kinda in my blood and all I breathe hahaha, I can't help but have backstories and whole narratives just form around a character. As a result, my dolls end up being 3d representations of characters in those stories, they have a life of their own. Not dolls, not real people either... something in between.

Right now i'm looking at building a D&D party out of MSD dolls lol. So yeaaah.. my dolls are rp characters. Not necessarily existing rp characters, in fact I only have a couple who are based on characters who existed before I got the doll. But they're characters all the same.

4. To me they're characters as well, but also like tiny imaginary friends of mine somehow (but always keeping in mind they're not real) ^^

5. My dolls are dress maker dummies, there I said it, but it doesn't make me love them less than anyone else!

6. My dolls are just pretty dolls. They have names but they're just dolls.

7. I am loving all these answers. From the simple, to the intricate, it really gives me insight into what people think of their dolls.

8. I wrote a background specifically so they could live in two worlds at once. They're from victorianish England but were thrown through time and space to find themselves here with me.

9. My dolls are "the girls who live on my desk". They have few props of their own and co-exist with the other things on my desk. They have their own personalities and are very independent, but I'm not sure if they see themselves as dolls or people. I'm not sure whether I see them as dolls or people, either! I do know they don't see me as Mom, I'm the "boss lady". I certainly talk to them like they're people sometimes, especially when I'm trying to dress them and they're being uncooperative!

10. My dolls are dolls. They're not aware of anything because they're inanimate objects. I have characters for them and occasionally I'll talk to them, but I'll talk to anything, even my gloves, haha. I think of them more like a physical representation of my characters, who only live inside my imagination. I dress them, photograph them and overall just like having them near me as a reminder of my beloved characters, but the dolls themselves aren't "alive" to me. If that makes sense?

11. Makes perfect sense, actually.

12. I just re-read my post and it came off harsher than I intended, so sorry if it came out rude! I was more worried about organizing my thoughts than how I worded it, I guess. But regardless I'm glad I made sense. :'D

13. No, no. It wasn't rude at all. You were very straight and to the point. That's not rude at all.

14. I'm glad to know! I was worried in my attempt at expressing my view on the subject I had accidentally offended anyone who has different opinions or anything. I think all replies here in this thread are very interesting and all certainly valid, so I'd hate to come off as if I thought less of others' replies or anything!

One way or another it's a very interesting thread. :)

15. Thank you. I asked this question during our online meetup last night and wanted to know what others thought as well.

16. My dolls shell my OCs. I don't think of them as being alive, rather than characters I created and wrote.

As for those characters, they're humans living in the modern world, but I guess it's sort of an "alternate universe" type thing? Like real locations and major events still happen in their world, political figures, celebrities and historical events still exist, but I never have doll characters interact with real live people. They ARE the 'real live people' in their story, so it would be really awkward and just wrong for them to talk to us. :P I think of them like characters in a realistic movie, book or tv show. Fictional characters in a real world.

17. I don't see my dolls as alive, they're more like multi-media art projects. Yes, they are characters, with their own stories, but the process of making them into those characters, the modding, the painting, the sewing, is what I like to do.

I was never very good with 2 dimensions: I can't draw very well, but I can sculpt (not as good with people), and I can sew decently so. With these dolls, I get to do the sorts of art I enjoy, but small and varied enough that I stick with the projects longer.

18. As for myself, my dolls are characters and thus have their own world that they live in. The physical dolls shell the characters. I refer to them as if I was talking about people rather than large hunks of resin sitting on my desk. However, I don't see them as real humans in the context of our universe. Of course, I'll joke around and prescribe human attributes to them like "oh Andy doesn't want to try on lots of wigs today" or "Raleigh is happy being outside." But those sort of things are usually just jokes as, even if they hold the character, they are still inanimate objects.

19. It's difficult to explain what my dolls are to me. They're like characters in the sense that they have names, but I have yet to give them any backstory. In a way, I feel that they are ways to explore different aspects of fashion, something I am a bit wary of doing myself. They seem to be based on different aesthetics more so than anything else. Maybe this will change as I grow into the hobby! I'm still very new, so only time will tell. :3nodding: