1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Realistic-Idealized & Mature Vs. Stylized Youthful-Dolls: Which Do You Prefer?

Apr 1, 2008

1. In your opinion, has the BJD market changed, is there now more demand for "mature-realistic looking dolls"?
      I haven't been in the market long enough to know

In your opinion, has the BJD "world" matured, are older (long-time) bjd-followers now seeking more mature-realistic looking dolls?
      I really think it has to do with the person's preference. I've read about some of the older members that are into the more unrealistic/manga style.

Do younger (10?-18-years-old) BJD-owners prefer the younger, "less-realistic" looking dolls? Why, why not?
      I am 14 and i prefer the more realistic dolls. I guess I just don't like massive heads and eyes. Although, I do like some dolls like this (such as cherishdoll's faith line, but they are still reasonably proportionate). I do think that a good chunk of the younger owners like the less realistic ones, but no where near ALL of them.

Do older BJD-owners (19-100?-years-old) prefer the more 'realistic,' more adult-looking dolls? Why, why not?
      again it really depends on their preference. I think this age group is much more varied in their opinions.

Regardless of age, do you have a preference (realistic/and/or/mature vs youthful/and/or/stylized)?
      I pretty much already answered this. More realistic. : D

Does it have anything to do with age-group, or is it related to culture, region or other? Individual esthetic preference.

2. n your opinion, has the BJD market changed, is there now more demand for "mature-realistic looking dolls"?
      I've only been aware of BJD's for about three years now, so I have no idea what was going on in 2000 when apparently Volks Was It:-)
      If yes, what do you believe brought about this change?
      I think that once one company made a more realistic doll, it appealed to people who like sculpture, or who were looking to upgrade from Barbies and action figures (who have some awesome sculpts--I love action figures too!) and once the more realistic sculpt sold, other companies jumped on the bandwagon, and started making more realistic sculpts, and more people bought them, and so on. It does take more of an investment for a company to make a realistic doll because you need a more talented sculptor, and humans are very good at spotting imperfections in the human form. I still think the bodies have a way to go to reach the level of Limwha's sculpts, for example.

In your opinion, has the BJD "world" matured, are older (long-time) bjd-followers now seeking more mature-realistic looking dolls?
      I suspect that people buy the style of doll that appeals to them, and not necessarily that they change, they just "add on". I think new people come into the hobby and are buying the more realistic dolls because they are available. If I was an older collector with an anime-style Volks head that I loved, I wouldn't sell it to buy a new sculpt, I'd just buy a second doll;-)

Do younger (10?-18-years-old) BJD-owners prefer the younger, "less-realistic" looking dolls? Why, why not?

No clue here!

Do older BJD-owners (19-100?-years-old) prefer the more 'realistic,' more adult-looking dolls? Why, why not?

Oddly, I'm finding just the opposite--as I get older for the first time I am coming to appreciate tiny "kid" dolls like the BB's, that I never like when I was an actual kid (I was Barbie and GI Joes, all the way), and starting to look at childlike dolls like Tania. But you'll never catch me with a Reborn style doll--it's the only doll that creeps me out, with apologies to the Reborn fans)

Regardless of age, do you have a preference (realistic/and/or/mature vs youthful/and/or/stylized)?

I love looking at the realistic ones--I think the Limwha girls are amazing, and Ark and some of the taller 70 cm boys are splendid..but I find I *buy* ones that I percieve as "cute" or "odd" instead--the DOT Lahoo, some of the DollZones. It's a good thing I am short of cash right now or I'd be buying all those Soom Zodiac dolls, which are pretty "unrealistic" but fantastic.

Other less specific, but related questions:
      Is it just a fad, in a constantly changing hobby?
      I think some of it is a fad--I know I have bought a few dolls that were incredibly popular and then discovered that I bought them not because they "spoke to me" but because they were familiar... sort of why we know lots of celebrity trivia, apparently our brains are wired to think of them as "family" since we see their pictures a lot...and then I had to sell them. If only I could sell Brittany Spears;-)

Is it do to the joining of a completely new audience?

I think that is part of it
      Is it just because BJD companies are growing, maturing themselves, and they want to make more
      'real' looking dolls?
      And sell more dolls to more people as well!
      Does it have anything to do with age-group, or is it related to culture, region or other?
      This is a whole nuther question that I'd love to see as a standalone discussion--which countries like which dolls? It would be fascinating to get a peek into the doll co sales sheets and see which dolls go where. Personally I have no clue! Uniede might know what sells in Canada/US though, and looking at Denver Doll might give you insight into the US market for older collectors (still a lot of Reborns and Cissys)

If you have other views, or opinions of why more 'realistic,' and mature looking dolls are suddenly popping up,
      please give me your insight, I am curious to know what you think!
      At this point I'd say it's because they are selling well, but that isn't too helpful! I do think the BJD market is heavily driven by younger buyers, even teenagers with summer jobs, rather than 30-somethings with disposable income, because to really enjoy the dolls you need some free time to play with them, and not many 30 somethings can find a minute to do Soduku, much less play with dolls..between a mortgage, kids and work, sleeping is a luxury. But then you hit 50 and you have time to fool with dolls again, and look, those college kids have some really cool dolls! Plus that bigger bjd size is a godsend with presbyopia;)

3. Do younger (10?-18-years-old) BJD-owners prefer the younger, "less-realistic" looking dolls? Why, why not?

No, not really, I seem to like the larger dolls that are more realistic. I think that the large doll part is related to the face that i'm over 6 feet and I was holding my friend's smaller dolls and they just felt frail and I was really afraid I was going to break it.

The realistic part is I think that I entered this hobby looking more for a companion/muse and for a more realistic doll that I would be able to take to college and beyond that would be my companion as I move from place to place so I wouldn't feel lonely without my friends/family.(:doh sappy)

4. I have one DOC and a second one on the way. IMO, DOCs have a more cartoony look to them in terms of facial sculpt and in the body. I have the old body which has a more chibi feel because they have such fat feet! I don't like really cartoony dolls like some Volks dolls but I don't like super realistic dolls that much either. I prefer a middle ground.

5. In your opinion, has the BJD market changed, is there now more demand for "mature-realistic looking dolls"?

I think the change has a lot to do with more mature collectors getting into BJDs. These people are coming from the fashion doll market, and in order to attract their attention, companies are making more mature, fashion doll type sculpts.

Whoops, answered that above.

I think we all look for our own asethic. Some of us like older dolls, some don't. For me its not that maturity of the sculpt, but the style. I've only been into this for 5 years, only 3 of which as an owner, but I tend to like the more stylized or, as you are calling them "less mature" sculpts.

If you agree, why do you believe this is so?
      Nope, I still think its a reaction to the market base widening. BJDs are trying to appeal to more people. Not everyone in BJDs appreicated the "anime/ asian" look. They want Tonner.

Age wise I'm older and I have found I abhore the more realistic sculpts. So no.

I perfer the stylized. Its the look that these dolls started with in Volks and feels right to me. I've had 5 minimee heads pass through this house, and they don't become much more realistic or mature than that. I just feel that Asian ball jointed dolls are trying to be something else when they become hyper realistic, and its not something I enjoy. It peels off a layer of fun and fantasy.
      *But then, I also don't like fashion dolls*

6. My questions to specific age-groups are these:
      In your opinion, has the BJD market changed, is there now more demand for "mature-realistic looking dolls"?

Personally I think there is more pressure on the ABJD designers nowadays to produce art dolls, rather than toys. Years ago when the whole hobby began, these dolls were marketed as kit toys for girls, yes? So there was more emphasis on play and less on customization. So many years of an available market reveals the actual applications of the product to its target audience. I think we revealed ourselves, as bjd fans, to be much more into the customization and uniqueness aspects than we were to the play and collection aspects. Maybe the companies have begun to appeal to this by going toward art dolls. Or perhaps they are trying to get up back to collection, what with the huge rash of truly special limiteds that have come out this last year.

This is hard to say for me, since I have been in the hobby for years and have always favoured the more realistic or mature sculpts. I would personally say, from observation, that this is not true. I know a lady who is in her late 30s/early 40s who collects pretty much only tinies and Yos. DOD has never seemed to lose its popularity in the years I have known of it. So... while I am biased toward mature sculpts, I really dont think the majority of BJD fans feel the same way.

I don't know for sure, since I am an old fart. :XD: But again, from observation, I'd say yes. Maybe it has something to do with the cross-pollination between BJD and anime? I even have a sort of affinity with this phenomenon... what attracted me to BJD originally is that they looked less like baby dolls, not at all like lame overexaggerated barbies, and quite a bit like anime characters. I am a major Japanophile, I think Japan does everything better, so the asian aesthetic appeals to me. I have never liked dolls... but when I saw how asian designers reinterpreted the familiar form, I was suddenly interested. So I think this may have a little to do with it.

I do. I'm 26 now, which is apparently old around here... *_* . But I would definately NOT say this is the trend.... I think certain kinds of personalities prefer the mature types, but not certain agegroups. For me, I like the 'presence' of the more mature, and larger, dolls. They declare themselves. I also prefer the challenge of doing realistic faceups and mods. The little guys and more stylized sculpts are easier to project your own feelings upon. Neither thing is bad... just a difference in ways of playing, I think. And that doesnt have much to do with age.

Definately realistic and mature, as well as big. I am pretty much a 65+ collector, and my favourite companies are Soom, Dollshe, Elfdoll, Souldoll, DollZone, Unidoll and Iplehouse. I have little interest in buying the sculpts outside those companies. *L* Not cause they arent lovely... they arent my taste. As I said before, I like the presence of mature/realistic sculpts, as well as the artsy fartsy-factor of their being more like 'a creepy doll'. :X3:

Probably. *L* But you know, none of the fads that have been introduced within BJD have ever really gone away. Lolita, Punk, Vampire dolls, anthro tinies, et al. have always continued to fill a niche in the overall hobby. Nothing has ever died out, but new things are always built upon the past (taking, for example, the 80cm and now 90 cm dolls). It's kind of nice that way... to know the field is ever-widening also makes you realize that the hobby is young and hasn't quite moved into a realm of conventions and cliche.

Hmm... I dunno, am I that audience? *L* I have been following this hobby for years before actually joining in with the discussion and the fandom. I think all the while I was looking for more realism, because I adore the form of the 'ball-jointed doll', but wanted one I could really feel deeply about. When the boom of realistic sculpts began late last year, I just got more excited than I ever had been before, is all.

Is it just because BJD companies are growing, maturing themselves, and they want to make more 'real' looking dolls?

To me the more likely thing to happen in that case is the cementing of a true style, rather than a diversification of style. Volks has demonstrated that evolution... you always know its a volks, whether you like the style or not, right? So I think its more about reaching a broader audience, and tapping into the wants and needs of the fans. I mean, who can say Iplehouse Akando wasnt released just cause DoA had been complaining about all the wimpy girly-boys for so many years??? *L*

Does it have anything to do with age-group, or is it related to culture, region or other?

That would be an interesting study to make. I can't really weigh in on that cause I dont have any experience outside the north american idiom. But I can say that from the VISUAL ART culture from which I come, both stylized and realistic sculpts appeal. It comes down to what we as artists are trying to communicate.

7. I'm 21 and what attracts me to bjd's is the realism aspect. To me the less real and more anime-ish a doll looks, the more I tend not to want it. Not that I don't like the less real dolls, but to me when they look more anime-ish they seem like very expenive, poseable anime figurines (I know they aren't but thats kind of how I feel). I do collect anime figurines and memorabilia and I wont these dolls to be separate from that (qwll not completely but I want them to stand out nad be different).

Of course why I got I decided to stop admiring these dolls and buy them might explain why I prefer dolls I think are more realistic. I, like many BJD owners have original characters that have been in my mind and developing for at least seven years (I have writings from before that but I have memory problems, another story). I enjoy drawing them and having them drawn in anime/manga style. It suits them, in the 2-d world. But to me, these characters are just people living in my head, so putting them in a 2-d form where they look realistic, it takes them out of my head and brings them alive for me.

The only exceptions to this are dolls I like but have no character in mind, they are often less realistic tinies I think are too cute to pass up. I would probably keep them and enjoy them, just usually separate from my other dollies ^^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I don't think age really plays a factor, I just think it's personal taste. I know younder people who perfer realism, older people who prefer non-realism, and people of all ages who like both.

8. In your opinion, has the BJD market changed, is there now more demand for "mature-realistic looking dolls"?

I don't think the market has matured. It seems to me that companies are finally paying attention to people who want more 'grown-up' looking dolls instead of childish or baby dolls. The first bjds I ever saw were the SD10s. I thought they were pretty, but longed for a gorgeous more mature doll.

No, we just didn't always have grown-up sculpts available.

I doubt it. I never liked 'younger' looking dolls.

I've seen a lot of people older than 19 that have younger looking dolls. It's just personal preference.

I like realistic, mature dolls(tiny, SD, MSD-sized, doesn't matter). When everyone else I knew was loving baby dolls, I had barbies.

I hope not! :o

I don't think so. Not everyody that has been a fan of the hobby likes stylized dolls. But we are able to buy dolls we can cherish now that people are finally realizing that not everyone likes child dolls.

Is it just because BJD companies are growing, maturing themselves, and they want to make more
      'real' looking dolls?

I don't think so. They're just appealing to a different crowd that has been here all along.

No, people just didn't realize how many of us really like the realistic dolls.

If you have other views, or opinions of why more 'realistic,' and mature looking dolls are suddenly popping up,
      please give me your insight, I am curious to know what you think!

I think I saw my first bjd in 2001, on the internet.

I thought they were gorgeous, but didn't want a doll that looked like a child. I wanted a mature looking doll because that's what I've always liked.

When the Dollfie Dream came out I bought one to use with a VDES head(wasn't able to get the head though...:| ). I still don't really like the default head (in & out-of-love kinda thing), but I adore her body and always have!:love

I'm glad that companies have opened their eyes and seen that there are people that have been waiting this whole time for mature sculpts and we're very, very happy that they've been making them!

9. I like so many BJDs, but find myself gravitating towards the ones with realistic, as opposed to anime-inspired sculpting. The advances in poseability have made a big impression on me, as have the large dolls, with their exquisite hands and feet. Boy dolls, never before favorites, are now special to me, in particular those of Dollmore, Elfdoll and Unidoll, not to mention the gorgeous Bishonen House guys...I do notice many middle-aged people enjoying this hobby, this obsession, and quite old people too. When I brought my Dollmore Model doll to my doll club, many of the people, including three in their late eighties and early nineties, were enchanted. They, too, admired the attention to detail, and really enjoyed playing.
      I think that there is room for realism and stylization, and both should be able to coexist peacefully.
      This is a very interesting question, so thank you for giving me the opportunity to respond

10. I guess being a newbie I haven't seen much of this, but for me personally, it depends. I find myself drawn to the more anime style dolls from companies like Dollzone, Bobobie, and Angell Studio, but some of the more realistic (in my opinion) looking dolls from Dollkot and Dollmore I like as well. I guess personally, I still want the doll to look something like 'a doll'. I'm a big fan of that ethereal look, and I'm sure it's in no small way a product of my love for anime and manga- I mean, I would also fall into your younger category, but I think that's just coincidence. It depends on what each person wants in their doll and what they want to imagine it to be. For me, a BJD is like a living drawing something come to life out of my sketch book- a work of complete fantasy. So I would only pick a doll that suits that look. That said, I don't think that majority of companies are looking to release more realistic dolls- I think that there's a nice mix between the two actually. I find plenty of companies that sell dolls I like, and plenty that sell the more realistic ones that other people like. You just have to know where to look.

11. I'm 24, and I love "style" in terms of artwork. I have a background in illustration and comics, and I just adore the expressionism that style can bring in cartoons. Some of my favourite illustrators and comickers have incredibly distinct styles which make preference for expression of mood/atmosphere in character and surrounding, over realism.

For me, in terms of dolls, I love the more stylised sculpts. Perhaps because I adore simpler shapes. I don't dislike the more complex and realistic-looking sculpts (quite the contrary! I love to look at them!) but as a personal preference, I love the simple lines best XD

12. In your opinion, has the BJD market changed, is there now more demand for "mature-realistic looking dolls"? If yes, what do you believe brought about this change?I think the BJD market is constantly changing, and aside from those people who have a certain preference, the collectors have very open minds and like all kinds of different dolls. In your opinion, has the BJD "world" matured, are older (long-time) bjd-followers now seeking more mature-realistic looking dolls? If you agree, why do you believe this is so?As new and different, i.e. more realistic, sculpts come along, everybody finds something new to like. Like I said before, I think doll collectors have very open minds. Do younger (10?-18-years-old) BJD-owners prefer the younger, "less-realistic" looking dolls? Why, why not?I am 15 years old, and my first real resin BJD will be the very realistic Souldoll Killian. I have looked at fantasy and anime style dolls and found ones that I would have liked to get, but I'm trying to concentrate on getting my first love right now. I find I can like all kinds of BJDs, from realistic, to anime-style, and even animal sculpts. Anything could catch my eye. Regardless of age, do you have a preference (realistic/and/or/mature vs youthful/and/or/stylized)?Like I said, it really depends on the individual doll. I seem to be drawn to tinies a little less than other BJDs, but I fell in love with Unidoll Momo when I saw her. Is it just a fad, in a constantly changing hobby?I dont think it is as much a fad as an advancement. Is it do to the joining of a completely new audience?It could be to an extent, but once agin, there are a lot of people like me who like individual dolls because of their vast differences. Is it just because BJD companies are growing, maturing themselves, and they want to make more 'real' looking dolls? That's a good way to put it, but I think a wide variety of dolls attracts a wide audience in turn. Maybe theyre just enhancing their product line.Does it have anything to do with age-group, or is it related to culture, region or other?I was attracted to BJDs and other Asian dolls through their links to anime, so yes, sometimes, to an extent.

13. --In your opinion, has the BJD market changed, is there now more demand for "mature-realistic looking dolls"?
      I believe there is, I know I prefer the more mature, human looking dolls, although I think my preferences are very specific, relative to the general doll population... XD
      --If yes, what do you believe brought about this change?
      Money is with the market, if it will sell, they'll sell it. I'm a business student in HS, and this was drilled into out head since day 1.

--In your opinion, has the BJD "world" matured, are older (long-time) bjd-followers now seeking more mature-realistic looking dolls?
      I'm not a very good person to ask, considering I've only been into BJDs for a little while. However, I do think that they have, judging by pictures of BJDs of the past.
      --If you agree, why do you believe this is so?
      People seem to connect better when they think they can identify. :)

--Do younger (10?-18-years-old) BJD-owners prefer the younger, "less-realistic" looking dolls? Why, why not?
      I'm only 15, but I can tell you that I actually prefer the more mature and realistic faces on the dolls... My face preferences are very picky... :)

--Do older BJD-owners (19-100?-years-old) prefer the more 'realistic,' more adult-looking dolls? Why, why not?
      I don't think this question applies to me...

--Regardless of age, do you have a preference (realistic/and/or/mature vs youthful/and/or/stylized)?
      I like realistic, older looking dolls, with expressive faces. I find that a lot of the younger faces just don't appeal to me!

--Is it just a fad, in a constantly changing hobby?
      BJDs are constantly changing. The beauty of them is that they can change, and be all the better for it.
      --Is it do to the joining of a completely new audience?
      I guess. I mean, I found out about BJDs by looking up goth lolita, but it's not like all people who like BJDs are goth lolita, or even female!
      --Is it just because BJD companies are growing, maturing themselves, and they want to make more 'real' looking dolls?
      I believe that ll sorts of dolls are being made, because the consumers are become more diverse in their preferences.
      --Does it have anything to do with age-group, or is it related to culture, region or other?
      All of those. People are defined by even the small things that make up themselves. They usually want a doll who defines who they are! (Or speaks to their personality!)

14. In your opinion, has the BJD market changed, is there now more demand for "mature-realistic looking dolls"?
      I think that yes, they are becoming more common.

I have not been in the hobby for a long time, but I think this really depends by company more than time. Each company has their own unique style.

This question doesn't apply to me, sorry!

Me being under 18, it really depends if I like the mold. I find to like more mature molds for bigger sizes, but love the stylized look for minis and tinies.

Um.. everyone has an opinion... I don't nescesarily think it applies to age group.
      As I put, I prefer the more mature looks for larger sizes. I'm not really into mature tinies, but hey! Whatever floats your boat. :)

Things come and go, do they not? I think the general thought stays similar, though
      'real' looking dolls?
      I would think of it more as exploring the creative depths of the human mind. I personally think it's fun to try something new, why would the companies not do this? :)

This makes me think of anime though, too. In the early 200's/1990's anime characters had HUUGE eyes and such. Now these days, art is becoming more realistic, charachters becoming a bit less stylized. I don't know. XD

15. In your opinion, has the BJD market changed, is there now more demand for "mature-realistic looking dolls"?

Yes, I see this as a large change. People starting to think out side the box on the BJD world. I think what brought this on was the large event of more real looking dolls. Because maybe the creators see it as more of a 'art'. I think that the more older crowd likes this because the more real dolls are easier to see in ones minds eye. Again- this differs from person to person.

To the younger crowd, the dolls look less scary. They seem more alive if real looking, and may cause fear or just not their type of thing. It all differs with each person I have noticed.

Not so much, the older crowd, seems to be hanging on to the more less life like dolls. I actually am not sure why. But I have found a lot of older ones seem to like the more 'anime' and 'manga' feel of dolls.

The BJD's of today is a 'style' as you say. The world of dolls seem to have changed. I personally love the more real looking dolls. The ones that look alive, if you were not looking hard enough at a photo. These kinds of dolls take more skill, and in some ways are more appealing to the eye. Mine anyway.

I am not sure, but I am sure it changes with the times.

Again this could be possible. But I doubt it.

Is it just because BJD companies are growing, maturing themselves, and they want to make more'real' looking dolls?
      I would assume so. Most of the younger crowd are actually the ones making said BJD's.

I am going with region. And taste.

16. I found your questions (and the answers so far) fascinating because I've been wondering the same thing. I am an older (40-something) long time collector of many types of dolls. I followed the emergence of the BJD hobby with interest because I love poseable and customizable dolls though I mostly have/had vinyl dolls. I liked how BJDs were drawing younger collectors into the doll hobby which seemed to be on the verge of becoming associated with old ladies, dust and mothballs. But I wasn't attracted to the dolls themselves because they were too stylized (pointy chins, too big eyes, too thin bodies, white complexions...) and they were made of resin which scared me because of its fragility. Not to mention the cost.

Lately though, I've been completely sucked into the hobby because of the new style realistic/mature sculpts. I especially like the males. The awesome photography skills and the photostory sub-hobby are also pretty unique to BJD collectors. That's probably related to the average age of BJD collectors (way younger than the average doll collector). A BJD is often a character that fits into the human's fantasy world and the more mature dolls fit into my personal fiction better.

Maria

17. I do believe it has changed, but the only answer I have as to why it changed is that people's tastes have changed. Some of the 'younger' (14-18) individuals have grown up and their ideas about aesthetic beauty have matured along with them.

Honestly, I think it was just a matter of time before it evolved. Volks, being the 'first' company to put out dolls offered just unrealistic, anime styled, or young looking dolls. I don't think people really considered getting something so out of the norm as the aforementioned 'mature' sculpts. Of course, with new collectors coming into the hobby, new tastes and new ideas come as well. Supply and demand is the number one rule to most markets, right? Well, perhaps these newbies didn't want an anime style or young looking doll.

I can only speak for myself, (I got into this hobby when I was 14, I'm 15 now) but my long standing favorite sculpt is Narae, mostly because of her realistic proportions and how alive she looks. So, no, younger individuals do not prefer lees-realistic dolls. Err, at least I don't :sweat As for the majority- I think the youth in this community like fantasy-like and anime style dolls more because that's what brought them to this hobby. Often, people migrate over to this particular sector of dolls from Blythe, Pullip and Obitsu- all very unrealistic, very anime stylized dolls.

I don't feel right stating an opinion here because I don't have the insight into this particular answer. I will say, however, I think it depends on the individual’s tastes.

As I've said beforehand, I do lean more towards realistic sculpts. Smaller eyes, smaller busts, proportionate heads etc.

-Constantly changing hobby.
      -In part, yes.
      -No, I think it's the new additions to the community that led doll companies to making more mature looking sculpts.
      -Age certainly has a lot to do with it, but I think culture is also a big factor.

18. I love realism in dolls- and mature sculpts too. I'm not sure why really but it's what I prefer. For me the perfect doll is a smaller scale "human", the more details the better.

Now that there are more of these dolls being offered I find myself drawn to BJD's- and actually wanting to spend money on them, whereas before I thought they were very unappealing with huge eyes, etc..too freaky cutesy.

:)

19. I personally don't care one way or the other if they're stylized/animeish or realistic. If it's got a face sculpt I like, or a body with great posing abilities, I buy it. I started out with mostly Luts, but have since added a Dollmore Model male to my collection and an Elfdoll girl (although she has elf ears so I can't call her "realistic", exactly). Most of my dolls (with the exception of two) are elves, though, so realism doesn't play a very big role in my collection. :)

20. In your opinion, has the BJD market changed, is there now more demand for "mature-realistic looking dolls"? If yes, what do you believe brought about this change?

I have only been in the BJD hobby for a year and a half (doll collecting for only for 5 years), but I still have seen a change to more realistics sculpts. I'm not sure what has brought about the change, but as I see more older doll collectors getting into BJDs, I tend to see these older collectors wanting more realistic sculpts.

Not necessarily. I think it is simply a matter of personal taste. People who like more stylized dolls are still going to like them. A lot of people still love Volks and many of those sculpts are more stylized

I am 41 and while I do like realistics sculpts and appreciate seeing them, I still love the more stylized dolls like Choa. I do love some of the more realistic males like Elfdoll K, but for females I always prefer stylized.

I don't think it is a fad or a change in the hobby. I think it is just another option available for collectors.

Is it just because BJD companies are growing, maturing themselves, and they want to make more 'real' looking dolls? Does it have anything to do with age-group, or is it related to culture, region or other?

Over the last year, I have seen many vinyl doll collectors get into BJDs. These are older collectors and they do tend to like the more realistic sculpts. Unfortunately it is these older collectors that have the funds to purchase many BJDs at one time. As the sales go, so will the sculpts. I do think there is room for both styles, though. Custom House will always be awesome with their stylized sculpts and I can't imagine more realistic dolls from them or there not being a CH around.