1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Realizing you chose the wrong BJD scale/size

Mar 23, 2019

1. Hey, better to change your mind on scale 2 dolls in than 20 dolls in right? You only have to sell 1 ^_^ As for me, I knew I would like a bigger doll so SD was great for my first doll. I eventually got MSDs and even some YoSD size as well but since they all represent different ages (SD as teen and shorter adult, 70cm as taller adult, MSD as around 8 years old, YoSD as around 3 years old) I can have them all together and not worry about it ^_^

2. My first boy was 68cm tall, and I liked his size. I sold him because I can't bond with him, and I want another sculpt, I liked better. I got my dream sculpt on my dream body, and when I put them together I know I find my doll. Everything is perfect: sculpt, body, and he posing pretty well. I find him very easy to handle for his size. Well I have got big hands and not really like too small things to handle. (except buttons and tiny props of course).

3. I also started out with a 1/3 size boy, then ended up preferring and switching to MSD sized dolls. I just couldn't get used to having a doll that size, plus I've always loved more miniature things. I think it all just depends on personal preference!

4. I almost always preferred SD-sized dolls until I acquired a mature mini. I vastly prefer the mini size over the larger SD size and will eventually sell the remaining ones (although DC Evangeline is here to stay). I have a Serenade Doll, too, and although she is SD-sized, she isn't as large as the others that I have. She is in between a mini and SD, but I like her size too. The fashion doll aesthetic also doesn't hurt. ;)

For what it's worth, I really dislike sewing for 1:3+. I don't think it's harder as it is more tedious, especially when it comes to cutting fabric. It also uses more fabric, and I feel the increase in cost compared to the 1/4 yard I almost always buy when sewing for 1:4 or 1:6.

5. I bought my Iplehouse Lucia nYID because of her looks and princess outfit. I didn't realize that she is a big girl, 1/3 size. Being new to the hobby I had nothing to compare size to. This fall I bought my Iplehouse Faline in the nFID size. I believe this is the 1/4 size? 42.5 cm. She is way easier to handle. But I like the way they look together - big sister and little sister. Very happy with both.

#25 RobinH, Apr 4, 2019
      Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2019
    6. I regret getting 68 and 70cm SDs when I moved into 1/3. I wish I'd gone for the smaller end of SD because there are so many more options for clothing and they are an easier size to handle, but I really like Resinsoul and didn't want to get a super, super slim one, so larger seemed the better option. I definitely overbought when I first got into the hobby, rather than fully taking the time to explore what I liked. (If I was starting over knowing what I know now, I'd stick with MSDs and YOSDs)

7. I'm not sure I chose the "wrong" scale per se; My first two dolls are 1/3 scale, and are exactly what I wanted them to be.

But... I've always been a miniature freak. Always. Pretty much every hobby I've ever had has, at some point, manifested itself in a smaller scale. The reason I didn't approach bjds with this mindset is simple: I fought the hobby for ages, but fell under the spell of a friend's doll, and when given the chance to buy her, I didn't even hesitate. So my first two are companion dolls, in the 50-60 cm range, and really special to me despite the limitations imposed by their size. However, my third is a Tiny (20 cm), and any that follow her will be in that general range.

8. Personally, I don't see a need to choose just one scale! I have my 1/3 scale dolls in one world, my one 1/4 in her own story, and a bunch of OT tinies. I think the bigger mistake would be selling something you love because it doesn't fit in with something else you love! Enjoy the good parts of both scales and find a new character for this doll/a new doll for the intended character :)

9. Thanks so much for all the feedback. It's been two weeks since Min arrived and I'm still completely thrilled with him and loving the MSD size. He is definitely staying and I've even ordered another MSD to keep him company. I will be selling my SD stuff. If it was just about the dolls for me, then I could have incompatible sizes and enjoy then individually. But I want to tell photo stories and I prefer to focus on just one scale as I start buying and building props and accessories.

[​IMG]

#29 mikeg, Apr 6, 2019
      Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
    10. this happened to me ;-; my Chiru (my pfp) is a 1/4 size but now ive had her for a while and spent a lot of money i realise i really want a 58cm/1/3.. i wish i spend the extra $200 to get the original 1/3 i wanted but i was scared i wouldnt love the hobby and would have wasted $500, yet here i am! time to save again!

11. My first doll was a MSD. I had really fallen for (and sometimes still feel the pull of) the Fairyland minifee A-line Carl which at the time had just come out. I loved her posing and portability. She used to ride around in my bag pretty often with a little point-and-shoot and just go anywhere.

Within a year I also got my second doll, a Soom Supergem Chrom. I forget if he is just at 68cms or if is taller than that with those paw feet, but I realized how much more I loved the big SDs. I loved the sort of more sculpted looks that were available and the size was that much more comfortable for me in general. Hands in general are super important to me on the dolls, and my SD’s tended to have the ones I liked best.

Since then I’ve rehomed the MSD and picked up four more SDs including a new big shell for the MSD’s character. And somehow a couple of YO-SD and a critter. I recently got stands for the big lot and I feel even better about them. I love my tiny YO’s in comparison to my large dolls.

I still stop and look at some of the mature/slim MSDs debating if I should put my one halfling character into one, but it hasn’t happened yet.

12. I started with msd dolls, I always though they look better with the smaller dolls, the yosd and smaller fit in perfectly as the little siblings, or even children. I can buy more props for them, as they can use the props of so many other dolls. I have furniture that I can change around in the base diorama to fix their home differently and take pictures.

Why, oh why, did I start adding SD's to my list? I wasn't going to have any, and now I do. I mostly just display the SD's and take pictures with them. They take up more space, they don't fit into the cute little home settings. Yet, here I am collecting them. and- I adore them!

I am not getting rid of any of them, but I do keep the bigger dolls separated, because at least for me, they don't seem to work well together with the smaller ones.

13. He's so handsome! As bittersweet as it might be, I think the feeling of a specific size just clicking with you is great...

I started out with dolls mostly under 30cm... I think I was still accustomed to fashion dolls and anything larger felt somehow perverse. I accumulated quite a few tinies before I realized they're really not for me. They just don't have the presence or weight that I'm looking for.

It took me a while to realize that slim MSD and 50-60cm SDs are my ideal size, but I still have my tinies.

14. Do love Migidoll sculpts. ^_^
      I feel like this is the kind of hobby where it's not easy to predict how things will or won't work out. I've kind of got the opposite problem. I started with a 70cm doll, and he never seemed too big to me. But later I branched out into tinies and fashion size dolls, because I thought their more portable size would inspire me to do more with them. Instead, I find their small parts cause me more frustration, I don't have the same attachment to them, and don't really do anything with them at all. They're just taking up space looking pretty. So,... maybe we should be warning newcomers to the hobby not to get too set on their plans? :lol:

15. I thought I would only like tinies and slim msds, but it turns out I love sds! I won't be selling my little one, though.

16. I'm still on the fence when it comes to my first doll. I knew if I was going to get a male sculpt with the maturity I wanted, I was going to need to go with the SD size. Once you start getting into MSD size, mature male dolls end up with rather small heads and then the eyes and hair choices become so limiting, especially for someone like me that finds wigs one of the funnest aspects. Thus, I ordered my 68 cm Loongsoul boy. The sculpt is gorgeous, but as I feared he mostly feels like an expensive paperweight. A very pretty paperweight, but a paperweight nonetheless. I'm simply not inclined to move him around much because he takes up so much room. It probably doesn't help I favor long flowing fantasy style robe type clothes so that makes him even more cumbersome to maneuver.

I have a wig and some eyes on order and plan to wait and see how I feel then. The thought of even trying to sell him sounds so exhausting. :...(

17. it's great that you found yourself in all of this ;) I started VERY similar to you. I wanted a big boy and I nearly simultaneously ordered is msd-sized brother. The two looked weird next to each other. I then could never make up my mind which size I *should* be into. I guess it's not about whether one should be into this or that size. One just falls in love and that's it. I've always been drawn - on the one hand - to the heaviness and sturdiness of the SDs, but - on the other hand - I loved how cute and portable msd are. I know for sure, I am not into YoSDs (Every time I had them, I thought of them as cute, but that's about it - we just don't bond).

I think the availability of clothes and props is also important. I sew on my own, so it'd seem not to be a problem, but then I need to sell some of my clothes, once it turns out I have too many, and then I realise, there are certain sizes which are easier to sell and those that aren't. I thus decided to only keep the dolls of popular sizes. Even now that I've goten myself a Zaoll girl (she's in between sd and msd - though Idk yet, I am still waiting for her arrival) she'll be sharing many clothes with my slender, small-chested sd girls, so it's okay. But yeah, the kind of clothes/accessories a doll can wear - their availability does influence my buying decisions :) I love my dolls to share their clothes, so having each doll in a very different size would be troublesome.

Anyway, it's always okay to sell a doll that doesn't work out, I guess. If anything, it usually can be easily repurchased in the future. And usually, several dolls later, one realises the doll's not missed ;)

18. This is an interesting issue.

My first BJD size was about 26cm. At that time, I cannot imagine that I would go with any other sizes (or not).

I had tried 43cm sized dolls several times but finally it turned out that I do not prefer the size.
      Though I really like their figures, sculpts and various outfits, but every time I got 43cm sized dolls I struggle with handling because of their size.
      I have no idea why these happens. Xd

Then how about SD sized ones? Well, I don't know why but I feel comfortable about handling them. They do take space a lot though.. I love the size!

I have YoSD and SD sized dolls now. and forever maybe hehe..

19. I like all the sizes. The sizes that feel most comfortable are 1/6th and 1/4th. However, I still like 1/3rd. Mostly because I feel like 1/3rd dolls have wider variety from fantasy dolls to regular dolls and especially with the male sculpts. 1/4th male dolls generally lack the masculinity and such that you find in the 1/3rd scale. There's fashion dolls like Raccoon doll and Iplehouse for example, but they usually don't fit in with the typical 1/4th doll (smaller heads, etc.) If 1/4th had every the 1/3rd scale had, I would definitely be mostly for 1/4th.

20. My first ever interaction with a doll was an SD sized one that a colleague kept in the office. She was fostering him so I got to interact with him for about 6months on a daily basis, having him on a desk, on my lap while I worked, we would take silly photos posing him around the office, etc. So I always knew I wanted a large one.

Fast forward 12 years and I found the perfect sculpt at uncle size so I thought yeah why not? I also got myself a 1/3 as a fall-back to hybrid the head in case the uncle proved to be too big. Y'know, since I was familiar with the SD.

Aaaand I love the uncle size. In fact I love him so much that my backup 1/3 now seems relatively "too small" hahahhahaa. I realized I prefer a hefty presence in bjds so I shall be finding a home for my 1/3 now. Can't bear the thought of this baby being neglected, I must find a good home for him!